Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm kind of partial to the idea of players who think they must see the actual value of 96% in order to survive, having to do all the work of opening the character status screen to see it. I really think it is just "menu", btw. While saying "submenu" does make it seem more laborious to delve deep into the obscure informational screens of the game to find that hunger %--it's just one button to open the character status menu.

Now the journal entries? Those ARE the Submenus of Gazz.

EDIT: I tested it out since it has literally been years since I looked at that particular stat and I see that you do have to click one extra time the first time to switch the character menu view to stats. But from then on it's a press of B to see and done.

Well.. You're not telling the whole truth there, Roland. Yes, hunger and thirst can be found in the player stats menu if you press B. However, B can also open up the 'clothing' menu, or the 'other stats' menu.. So hunger and thirst is hidden in one of the menus found under the main 'Tab-menu'.

I wouldn't mind appeasing those people with a small green line at the bottom of the stamina bar that shows fullness levels from 100% to 150% since I really do think THAT is truly the crux of the whole matter. But I would be sad indeed to lose the current system to just four separate bars.

It's a great idea, maybe it really would be a compromise!

Well, that would be a better solution than (even) 4 bars on the screen :)

You see, Roland, a lot of Alphas have passed and people have forgotten about sharp sticks (even me). But if after so much time questions are still raised - then it means that something is wrong.

So to solve this problems appeared a whole class of mods that the number of almost overtakes full-fledged overhauls.

If for vanilla to return these "4 bars" - hardly will appear fashion which will clean up their ;)

PS: By the way! I have an idea - what could be removed from the screen for better immersion and what would not interfere!

These are stupid "up" and "down" arrows that show an upgrade or destruction is being performed!

Apply to them the arguments you just did for 4 bars.... aaaand done! :)

(not sarcasm)

Yes, the lack of fov settings is an incomprehensible behavior of all developers.

Most likely, in our case - it is leveling the influence of settings to fps in the reports of players about performance.

Yeah. Not having a Fov slider in a first person game is a bleeping sin. Luckily we can still change it, but when(if) the days comes they remove the option, then the game is unplayable (for me) :(

The hunger/thirst stats are constantly having an influence on the players abilities, and change dynamically.

Other entries dont.

Major exaggeration because it's not a noticeable influence. Whether you are at 95 or 105% of your hunger meter makes no difference in a fight.

It's just a handful of players who "must" over-micromanage their stats for the sake of doing it.

Major exaggeration because it's not a noticeable influence. Whether you are at 95 or 105% of your hunger meter makes no difference in a fight.

It's just a handful of players who "must" over-micromanage their stats for the sake of doing it.

Picture this, You are fighting a few zombies with a club, you manage to kill 2 of the 3. He backs in in a corner so there is no running away and if u get hit 1 more time you are dead. Like wise the zombie needs jsut 1 more hit to die but you are low on stamina. In fact you are so low u cannot swing again, you must wait just another second before it will refill enough to strike the zombie with the final blow.

As you wait the zombie goes to attack. Thank god you started this fight out with 105% stamina instead of 95% or else the zombie would have gotten the last hit and killed you. Now that 10% extra stamina starting out in the fight matters. Some times micro managing your own stats is a strategic advantage in situations like this. :)

Sometimes its these types of obsessive behaviors that separates the really good players from the great ones. :rapture:

Have you seen how many mods do this micromanagement? and how many people use these mods?

...watch the letsplays.

These HUD-mods install even those who in principle not likes mods.

I'm still hoping for a no-HUD option someday. I can mod some of it out but doing the whole thing is beyond me (and I can't use Sphereii's because my IP doesn't like github, apparently).

Kind of want this myself. I don’t want time and day on display. I want to be forced to use the sun and govern my own time and days, like in a real situation, and still think a time piece should be brought or crafted if needs be.

Picture this, You are fighting a few zombies with a club, you manage to kill 2 of the 3. He backs in in a corner so there is no running away and if u get hit 1 more time you are dead. Like wise the zombie needs jsut 1 more hit to die but you are low on stamina. In fact you are so low u cannot swing again, you must wait just another second before it will refill enough to strike the zombie with the final blow.

As you wait the zombie goes to attack. Thank god you started this fight out with 105% stamina instead of 95% or else the zombie would have gotten the last hit and killed you. Now that 10% extra stamina starting out in the fight matters. Some times micro managing your own stats is a strategic advantage in situations like this. :)

Sometimes its these types of obsessive behaviors that separates the really good players from the great ones. :rapture:

Yes, of course, at the moment when you have spent stamina - you do not know what replenishment to expect, not seeing the amount of food visually. This can lead to a fatal mistake in the heat of battle.

Kind of want this myself. I don’t want time and day on display. I want to be forced to use the sun and govern my own time and days, like in a real situation, and still think a time piece should be brought or crafted if needs be.

Disabling the time/date or compass would be a good option in the game options.

Except even if this happened, you pull out your gun.

It's a great idea, maybe it really would be a compromise!

Well, that would be a better solution than (even) 4 bars on the screen :)

You see, Roland, a lot of Alphas have passed and people have forgotten about sharp sticks (even me). But if after so much time questions are still raised - then it means that something is wrong.

So to solve this problems appeared a whole class of mods that the number of almost overtakes full-fledged overhauls.

If for vanilla to return these "4 bars" - hardly will appear fashion which will clean up their ;)

PS: By the way! I have an idea - what could be removed from the screen for better immersion and what would not interfere!

These are stupid "up" and "down" arrows that show an upgrade or destruction is being performed!

Apply to them the arguments you just did for 4 bars.... aaaand done! :)

(not sarcasm)

I’m the wrong person to try and shock by suggesting some other hud indicators should be removed. I want an easy option to remove them all. As much as I do like the ISS I’d be perfectly happy with just the pop up indicators and a return of the timely sound effects. No compass and no clock would suit me wonderfully.

Even when I did play a mod that removed all indicators — even the pop ups and all I had to rely on was the hunger sound effects it was simplicity itself to not starve or get myself into trouble. And even then I never checked the bars on the character screen. So you and Damocles will have to forgive my disbelief and lack of sympathy for the idea that players need to know their moment to moment exact stats. I’ve proven the contrary through actual gameplay.

As it is, I really do prefer the current system to what is used for every other game.

The hunger/thirst stats are constantly having an influence on the players abilities, and change dynamically.

Other entries dont. For example the armor rating can be in a submenu, as it only changes when the player alters his setup.

There is a reason UI Mods always add those numbers (hunger, thirst, temperature)

Thirst doesn't have any effect on stamina regen speed until the thirst icon appears, so the game does tell you when it is time to drink to not have bad effects.

Hunger can be seen by looking at your Stamina.

I’m the wrong person to try and shock by suggesting some other hud indicators should be removed. I want an easy option to remove them all. As much as I do like the ISS I’d be perfectly happy with just the pop up indicators and a return of the timely sound effects. No compass and no clock would suit me wonderfully.

Even when I did play a mod that removed all indicators — even the pop ups and all I had to rely on was the hunger sound effects it was simplicity itself to not starve or get myself into trouble. And even then I never checked the bars on the character screen. So you and Damocles will have to forgive my disbelief and lack of sympathy for the idea that players need to know their moment to moment exact stats. I’ve proven the contrary through actual gameplay.

As it is, I really do prefer the current system to what is used for every other game.

Why'd you stop using the no HUD mod Roland?

To be honest the system is far from intuitive. Not only is the percentage indicator misguiding, but I mostly hate the fact that you have to overeat in order not to be penalized as soon as you lose 1% max hunger. It's a good idea to tie food to max stamina but it shouldn't deplete the stamina unless you're below 75% food or something. And by 75% I mean a static 75%, not 75% of your maximum. This would make it so a new character has a 25% buffer before it's impacting his stamina, and the higher level you are the bigger this buffer gets.

I told you, I'm not being sarcastic :D

On the one hand, the developers say that they do not want to clutter HUD, but they do the opposite....I don't even know what to think about it... ;)

Yeah, i also tried to play without HUD and found it entertaining, i also like to navigate indirectly.

"Operation Flashpoint" proved to me that it can be very interesting.

For each game, a HUD is developed, depending on what to do in this game.

To be honest the system is far from intuitive. Not only is the percentage indicator misguiding, but I mostly hate the fact that you have to overeat in order not to be penalized as soon as you lose 1% max hunger. It's a good idea to tie food to max stamina but it shouldn't deplete the stamina unless you're below 75% food or something. And by 75% I mean a static 75%, not 75% of your maximum. This would make it so a new character has a 25% buffer before it's impacting his stamina, and the higher level you are the bigger this buffer gets.

You have that buffer, it just isn't shown on the HUD unless you are eating something. It is a fixed buffer though, always 50 food big.

- - - Updated - - -

I think all that is missing is some type of tutorial on how stamina/food/thirst works and I'm not talking about a journal note.

The journal notes are akin to an operations manual, most people dont read them or would refer not to. Dont get me wrong, I think the journal notes is a good start but would hope to see more intuitive designs the closer we get to v1.0. (e.g. forced journal pop ups (can be disabled) the 1st time the player gets hungry/thristy, quest-based tutorial like the starter quest that tasks the player with gathering water and food)

Using the quest system to explain it is an excellent idea. No code changes neccessary, there is ample space for text anyone not interested in can ignore. The only thing missing would be showing a picture that explains each of the UI elements. In that case a picture would be really worth a lot of words.

The quest could get activated when you first get hungry or thirsty, be available as one of the initial quests offered by the trader or be a quest pamphlet you can buy for 1 Duke in the food machine.

You have that buffer, it just isn't shown on the HUD unless you are eating something. It is a fixed buffer though, always 50 food big.

I know. But it's just deceptive and really not intuitive at all. I had to explain it to my friend and my girlfriend and let's be honest, they get it but it's... weird.

"So you see you have the percentage hunger meter that shows 100 ? Well, it's not really a percentage because it goes up with your levels, but you get a max stamina penalty for every missing point regardless of how much total you have, but to compensate you can totally overeat up to +50 but you won't see it unless you go in your character's stats". And there goes the 2 seconds of void followed by "mmmm'kay".

Why not keep it simple and intuitive ? No overeating, you start losing max stamina / stamina regen once you hit 50 or lower on your hunger / thirst meters (regardless of whether you have 100 or 200 total), at twice the pace you lose it now, and there you go. The buffer gets bigger as you level up (which is cool), you have all the information in 1 blink, and there's nothing hidden/fancy about it.

This exactly how it works. You just are hung up on the labels. There is a much larger than 25% buffer before your stamina gets impacted and I bet that if it wasn’t right in front of you, you wouldn’t really even notice the difference between 100% max and 90% max.

It’s just that instead of calling it 100% and 75% we call it 150 and 100 and then later 160 and 110 and then later 170 and 120. And since tasks in the game do not get progressively more stamina demanding, once you get to level 20 you can even let your stamina dip down below by 20 points and still be able to do all the things you were able to do at max stamina on day 1. More even if you perked into anything that benefits stamina use or regen.

But new guy definitely gets his buffer before stamina is impacted by hunger.

Archived