Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'd like to improve them, seeing zombies spawn looks bad and only 5 isn't a challenge. Should be a full on mini horde event or something.

How about something like "Defend Your Position" when you read it it can activate a timer. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes to count down. At the end of a countdown you get a mini horde and have to survive it. Maybe a build challenge? Build some defenses and survive the horde for 5 minutes etc.

Eventually yes. First goal is a stable gorgeous rwg with smooth roads and nice poi distribution, then we can get fancier.

I like how the current RWG gives us a large island like map, so if doing something @UnknownSoldier suggested with a bit more variance between biomes (which I agree with him on), then I'd like to also see them with the water around the island as this is a good indication of where the end of the map is..

Since a few responded to me and other have posted with same issue, dug a bit deeper on missing backpack issue. To recap: After death and backpack drops on death, the backpack is not located yet backpack compass indicator is working . MM suggested using god mode, that didn't work to locate the backpack. Someone else suggested using "LE" command in console.

"LE" in console (along with god mode to get there easy) does help, but the conclusion of this deeper dive into the problem is that the backpack is not recoverable at all. In fact, the backpack appears to be moving. Screen shot in link below showing LE command.

EntityLootContainer must be the backpack. The first coordinate is the West-East coordinate, with negative number meaning West. When standing on the compass backpack icon location, that first coordinate number for the EntityLootContainer is about -1053 with the player pos first number around +360. So travel straight west to reach -1053, but can never get there because when the player WestEast coordinate(first number) reached about -800 the EntityLootContainer first number changes from -1053ish to the current visible number of -2031. And if I keep flying in god mode towards -2031 west, the EntityLootContainer will also change to be -3000 something.

conclusion, the backpack is moving somehow based on how close the player is?

Conclusion right or wrong, there is a definite bug with backpacks disappearing on single player, permanently disappears.

Original death spot (1-2 squares below current spot, this is up in the air god mode:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1889746540

Trying to reach the backpack, shows EntityLootContainer has moved if compare POS with first picture:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1889735919

I'm picking that it is related to a bug I had with the bicycle disappearing, and the compas indicator showing it to be moving about.

Curiously, in A17 I had a couple of occasions when the game crashed while I was riding it, and upon reloading the game I am instead on foot, and the bike is missing, and absent from the compass, however, just wandering around the same area for a while would result in the bike suddenly materializing underneath me, and I'd be riding it again as if nothing happened.

it would be possible to replace candles to candlesticks, which should be filled with fat. there will be additional use of fat.

Remove the possibility of mounting to the wall from the torch. Or do similar mechanics with a candlestick.

endless energy in the game spoils the atmosphere.

With a mod sure. We don't want our performance tanking because every torch becomes a tile entity with inventory, burn time, etc. Endless energy is fine for a light, its not fun maintaining 50000 torches in your mine shafts. Its just busy work and running all those counters would eat cpu on servers. Most players would rather quest, mine, cook, craft, loot, etc etc, there is barely enough time to do all those things before another horde comes, so light management doesn't make sense in this game because there is time pressure and it wouldn't be good for performance.

I generally agree. The handle on the hatch is a must have, I craft wooden ones and upgrade just to get it right.

Be good if you fixed the hatch bug while at it. This bug is actually noticeable in the hidden lab base POI (normal looking house with lab underneath):

If you have a hatch where the hinge is placed up against a wall, the hatch will open fine but you cannot exit the ladder from below through the hatch. Note: This only seems to affect metal hatches and above.

Spears, the best starting weapon

The new stone spear is the best starter weapon I have seen so far in Alpha-18.

While not that powerful, it has the best reach of a malay weapon which can keep the enemy out of reach.

Why add the spear? Well it might have something to do with this my article about using a shovel as a spear. :)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?85897-Shovel-spears&highlight=shovel+spears

The spear was in development before your discovery, so nice try but no cigar.

Oh cool...If your basis of adding new crops was for a seasonal event, that's not what we want.

It would be in very poor taste to have a player come home to find his base completely wrecked because he left a forge running.

It would also teach a player not to leave the stove on when they leave the house... Get off your ass and be responsible for your actions.

If that's the case, and there would be no reason why a player would do this, but theoretically if a player opened and closed a loot container continuously over a long period of time, it could spawn in a Screamer? If so, that is very interesting...

If you press the show FPS key a couple times while in dm it will show a heat counter.

We're planning a few rare items linked to quests, like the fates motel could drop a a psycho knife, wig and gown or something when all worn do some massive back stab damage.

Please don't, things like that are goofy as hell and just make certain POI's loot magnets for no reason aside from getting the "best" loot.

Heya MM, I posed on the bugs forum regarding melee. Was there any feedback on this? I'm more than happy to help improve on the new awesome animations your animator has created to finish them off and complete for gold. May I say after multiple changes through alphas they are looking the most complete i have seen them.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?128754-A18-b143-EXP-bug-reporting-thread&p=1035217&viewfull=1#post1035217

With a mod sure. We don't want our performance tanking because every torch becomes a tile entity with inventory, burn time, etc. Endless energy is fine for a light, its not fun maintaining 50000 torches in your mine shafts. Its just busy work and running all those counters would eat cpu on servers. Most players would rather quest, mine, cook, craft, loot, etc etc, there is barely enough time to do all those things before another horde comes, so light management doesn't make sense in this game because there is time pressure and it wouldn't be good for performance.

I understand you, performance above all.

I do not like when my freeloader friends play without electric lighting.

We'll have to remove the candle and the torch in the game’s configs. As subjects illuminating POI, I do not mind.

I. is it possible to leave a candle in the future as a poi object and remove the possibility of mounting on the wall for the torch? as now lanterns that can not be picked up.

II. will you add permanent death mode in the game?

new generated in game music, awesome.

p.s

Thank you for 7dtd, for over 1000 hours spent with friends for this wonderful game. I am ready to play this game at 10 frames per second. now an average of 15-25fps))

snip...

Nope, they didn't even talk about the spear until mid 2019.

ROFL. I've been reading all dev diary posts for 4 years and I know there have been spear conversations. And since the forum search is nearly worthless doing a targeted google yieled the same page and I noticed that you posted just below the spear post. And it figures you beat me to a response post.

There are even other spear (and staff and...) posts/conversations before 2019...

After a while you learn that a LOT (a massive majority) of topics have already been covered. Several times...

I also note that Silllllllls has been around a while, and wonder why he said that.

Luckily and thanks to Subquake, we have torches that improve performance by 600% with improved particle flame effects - trust me he's done wonders with this :flame:https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/466

Heya MM, I posed on the bugs forum regarding melee. Was there any feedback on this? I'm more than happy to help improve on the new awesome animations your animator has created to finish them off and complete for gold. May I say after multiple changes through alphas they are looking the most complete i have seen them.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?128754-A18-b143-EXP-bug-reporting-thread&p=1035217&viewfull=1#post1035217

Guys I don't have time to reply to every post. If its my bug or a topic I am passionate about I might reply, but I'm not a producer so I'm not keeping track of every little bug. Testers go through all the bugs and try to repro them and send them off to the appropriate devs. I don't answer to things I don't know about and I don't read walls of text and I don't answer multiple questions in the same posts. Thanks for understanding. Most devs you will never hear a peep from, but I try to interact as best as I can here.

Guys I don't have time to reply to every post. If its my bug or a topic I am passionate about I might reply, but I'm not a producer so I'm not keeping track of every little bug. Testers go through all the bugs and try to repro them and send them off to the appropriate devs. I don't answer to things I don't know about and I don't read walls of text and I don't answer multiple questions in the same posts. Thanks for understanding. Most devs you will never hear a peep from, but I try to interact as best as I can here.

others are others. this is 7dtd. The best game, the best developer who communicates with players.

I adore, well done

Quick question...my second level of pummel pete is disabled by a status effect. There is a red check mark next to it. What would cause that? My character sheet has no effects listed.

Any answer to this. Same issue on another perk. can't firgure it out. I have no status effects.

And for that we are all very grateful, even if some of us may not show it all the time. (: (Trust me, anyone would prefer an actual human response vs a standard cooperate one.) People just have to realize that while you can do almost anything (within reason), you cannot do everything.

And for that we are all very grateful, even if some of us may not show it all the time. (: (Trust me, anyone would prefer an actual human response vs a standard cooperate one.) People just have to realize that while you can do almost anything (within reason), you cannot do everything.

Get this man a paper towel.

Archived