Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Just finished Day 21 BM what a blast ! I burnt through about 700 rounds of ammo and 10 grenades, finally running out of ammo and repairing my door of my bunker while making more grenades. I managed to live barely. Last 2 BM's I was toast.

This version is much fun , I've put in about 50 hours since it came out last week :)

So god damn tired of having ferals spawning next to me on night 1 and 2 lol.

Then you have ninja feral wolves and mountain lions spawning during tier 1 and 2 fetch quests on day 2 and 3...

POS feral infects me hitting me from 4 blocks above them on my mini base on night 1...

Its easier to get a response if you just focus on one topic its difficult to read multiple points. I know you have a lot to get off your chest, but we get 50000 of these a day and its already been discussed for months or years in depth. I should probably start a f.a.q. or something but I'd assume the good community here could do it. Typically they answer but I think everyone is too engaged in A18 to bother right now.

ROFL?...

I had a conversation with unholyjoe a couple days ago about this very idea. He was very supportive. I've already got a couple plus pages going (meaning I stopped playing for about 4 or 5 hours to research things), need to 'dress it up' a little. I started it to cover FoodGate and the death 'penalty, and some game design vs reality/immersion topics, and added an intro for general guidance and links for things like Dev Diary, Bug Reports, Performance, Mods, etc. (It's definitely an effort to try and elaborate but keep brief.)

I have been waffeling on it because it seems like a lot of people would just post here anyways, and because it seem like some only want an answer from a dev. Could take some effort to maintain (and I didn't want to waste the effort as I would rather be playing...), but I always try to stay up on the forum anyways.

I am going to take your statement as kind of an approval and give it a shot.

Just need to figure out where to start it... (Sylen Thunder has an Information and Common Solutions in General Support, but General Discussions seems like it might be a better fit so I'll put it there.)

Thanks.

Quantum Blue

Maaaaaan, please consider making a hardcore mode. Death is death

Yeah there was one in the pipeline (for I think A17) I was giddy with excitement in anticipation of it.

Sadly never saw it eventuate.

Yesterday I asked MM what happened to it, he said something to the effect of they aren't wasting resources implementing something to save us 2 mouseclicks (which is actually loads more than 2 clicks when you consider the savegame deletion, not to mention the abysmal wait time as you go through the respawn cutscene, rubbing your eyes etc..)

I'm cool with that I guess, as there are loads of other things I would prefer to see them spend time on, but it would be great to have, and I will continue to hold (some small) hope for it in the future.

It's an issue with reflection quality.

Turn it off (or on, then apply, then off, then apply) and the world will be beautiful again.

I've to do that everytime I launch my game.

Thankyou! That fixed the issue :). It looks great now.

Thanks to anyone else that replied as well.

Are you sure it's not lowering your perception because you THINK they they want you to bring it? ; - )

(You know I jest. I love pumpkin pie and I love cheesecake, just never had pumpkin cheesecake. You know that if you make it available in Amazon I would pick up at least a couple...)

pumpkin cheesecake is amazing.

Yes exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Torches HeatMapStrength in XML seems a bit high compared to the others.

campfire

"HeatMapStrength" value="1.5"/>

forge

"HeatMapStrength" value="1.5"/>

Torch

"HeatMapStrength" value="4.05"/> <----:miserable:

Torches have always been super high heat higher than forges. I think their tick is slower tho? Something like that. Anyway those numbers are the same as they were in 17 iirc.

I wish murky water and goldenrod tea was different colors. Being colorblind I cannot see any color difference between the two. I've done gone and already drank a few murky waters by accident thinking it was goldenrod tea lol.

Yep, all the new tea colors are godawful imo. Like you said this two are almost identical. Honey and beer are too close to them also. Then you have the red tea that's orange and looks more like spagetti sauce.

Yep, all the new tea colors are godawful imo. Like you said this two are almost identical. Honey and beer are too close to them also. Then you have the red tea that's orange and looks more like spagetti sauce.

My only criticism in terms of drink icons is the red tea. It looks like tomato juice - my arch enemy.

So, I have a question on the random weapon stats. I could have sworn I heard Gazz say that a top end level 1 could have better stats than a bottom end level 6. I was talking with someone else about it tho and he said that's not possible due to the following explanation of the xml values:

"So +10% at tier 2, +20% at tier 3, +30% at tier 4, +40% at tier 5 and +50% at tier 6, in this case.

If it specifies tier, level or anything of the sort, then it can go three ways. If you have one value, it's fixed for that tier/level. If you have two values, then it's going to be a range from min to max. If you have more than three values, then it's a one-to-one mapping."

So, my question is, is it true or not that a lvl 1 can be better than a lvl 6 at the extreme ends of good and bad stats? Gazz? Faatal? Help please??

You'll have to make new ones. You get some resources back for shoveling it.

oh no, I hate this change. :(

a player should be able to pick up his own farm blocks.

common usage:

- make a roof garden, later add a new floor to the tower and move the farm blocks to the new roof.

- moving farm blocks that are used as decoration outside is common while expending.

they cost too much to be salvaged for few materials, having to make them again will be a huge pain.

please reconsider this, there got to be a way to prevent players from harvesting farm plots in the world, and still allow them to pick up their self-made ones.

Yeah there was one in the pipeline (for I think A17) I was giddy with excitement in anticipation of it.

Sadly never saw it eventuate.

Yesterday I asked MM what happened to it, he said something to the effect of they aren't wasting resources implementing something to save us 2 mouseclicks (which is actually loads more than 2 clicks when you consider the savegame deletion, not to mention the abysmal wait time as you go through the respawn cutscene, rubbing your eyes etc..)

I'm cool with that I guess, as there are loads of other things I would prefer to see them spend time on, but it would be great to have, and I will continue to hold (some small) hope for it in the future.

It should be relatively easy to implement later tbh. I can see why it's a lower priority right now.

I know we arent supposed to face ferals right as we start in the world but what about spiders?

just generated a world, started playing and the first zombie I find on the road is that

Was it night time? I ran into a spider on one of my earlier false starts near a wilderness POI in the snow biome at night. Was a brutal start. Started that game over and focused on getting into a town right away instead. On day 8 now and doing alot better.

I'm really enjoying A18 so far.

The only little niggles I have found so far are the wood texture for wood frames etc seems a little bit too light.I'm no sure if that is a bug or it's supposed to be like that though. Oh and the door for the trader in Navesgane, near the bear bar sometimes shows as black. Would that be worth putting in the bugs forum, or is that too small and obvious an issue?jEsddRj.jpg

The other one is that the laser sight pointer is really small and not bright enough IMO.

I'm pretty sure that is a bug with reflections starting off.

You just pick them up with a shovel like a dirt block. You can also find lots of farm plots in the worlds ( new big barracks POI, Grace the pig POI has lots of them - looks like a container full of dirt but they are farm plots..., some diners has them as a flower pots... ).

I believe the ability to pick up farm plots will be removed on the next update.

This has happened to me twice.

On each occasion it was immediately after the game had chosen to "move" its origin.

I suspect there is a race condition in the code so it:

• checks the vehicle position against the terrain with new origin, but old vehicle offset relative to the origin
  • finds a mountain so, logs the message saying vehicle underground, lifts the vehicle in the air
  • then it fixes the vehicle offset relative to the new origin
  • finds no mountain, so the vehicle drops...

Hope that helps, I can log a proper bug report with the output logs if you need it.

Note:

This was with me running as a client attached to a dedicated server - in case it makes a difference to trying to reproduce it

I debugged origin changes and vehicle position and see no problems with it. Entity position value is in world coordinates, so is not effected by the origin. Local/transform positions are all changed together, so nothing out of sync there. The fix for now is to not shoot the vehicle into the sky so quickly, so that the ground can load, collider enable or whatever is going on.

Archived