Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Maaaaaan, please consider making a hardcore mode. Death is death; Single player only, you take 50% less damage from landmines and 75% less damage from all zombie/creature attacks. It's harder to die, but the moment you do die, your save is entirely deleted. Or just respawn your survivor and refresh the world back to default with all constructions/deconstructions undone. Falls can deal the same amount of damage as always. I just feel like dying is too beneficial in the current build... You can kill yourself to cure infection, stave off starvation and dehydration, even to fast travel back to your base. It just seems like the game should be called "7 days to exploit death", and I think a hardcore mode would really rock. Just make it a little harder to die, but make it so death is a final deal. Also, have you guys at TFP noticed that sometimes, dropped zombie loot bags disappear when you try to loot them? Maybe it's because I have my loot abundance set to 25%, but it happens literally all the time. I love the game but it just feels like it's kinda between places right now, alas, I understand that's the point of it being in alpha stages still. You guys are working things out. I think it would also help if there wasn't an aiming reticle for melee weapons, instead, the weapons could have an arc when swung that damaged anything within range, as long as they were within the arc. It just feels like I miss the head a lot of times when I really shouldn't, just because my reticle isn't directly on the head at the time the swing connects. The melee weapon makes contact, but the reticle being a centimeter to the right or left prevents it from registering as a hit. I just feel like a sledge hammer should be able to hit a couple zombies with one swing sometimes, it's just a peeve of mine. Lastly, I don't know how I feel about certain weapons being constrained to certain attributes. It would be nice if weapon specialization and perk specialization were two completely different things; For example, I'd like to have things such as Living off the Land and Animal Tracking, while also being specialized in the combat perks associated with bladed weapons. As it is now, you have to choose between the weapon you like and the survival-based perks you like, and that just feels kind of off. Just think of how cool it would be if you were granted 2 perk points per level up, and you could choose between several survival attributes, OR several combat attributes with how you spent your perks. Say you get 10 perk points for completing the introductory basics of survival quest, you could do one of three things: Amplify a weapon proficiency right off the bat, amplify your survival aspects right off the bat, or do a balance of both. As it is now it's like you have to sacrifice one to have the other; I feel like having 5 combat attribute lists and 5 survival attribute lists would not only allow for a longer immersion-investment time frame, but also would make players feel like they had more of a sense of personal specialization, rather than feeling like they were being locked into one specialization and locked out of others for the first 20 hours of their experience.

so you want a hardcore mode but you want to take less damage from enemies, more perk points per level and other nonsense..you don't want hardcore mode you want baby mode..

I've noticed since update I am no longer hitting 60 FPS if I stay off full screen it does better. I didn't change my settings it stays around 29-30 FPS. Anyone have any ideas what changed to cause this.

Sounds a lot like verticle sync is turned on to half refresh rate via nvidia control panel. if not, I have no clue.

vv.png

Change to application controls vsync or change it to on/off/adaptive full, that should get you back to 60 fps

so you want a hardcore mode but you want to take less damage from enemies, more perk points per level and other nonsense..you don't want hardcore mode you want baby mode..

Well yeah, because the game is currently built to make your death way too easy. And, it's built to make your death utterly beneficial. If you fall through floor boards and get killed in 3 hits by two zombies, that's way too easy to die. I usually restart my game if I die once in the first seven days, and although it's possible to make it to that seven days, I find it happens a thousand times where I'm like "You know what, dying would solve a few problems right now."

- - - Updated - - -

Well yeah, because the game is currently built to make your death way too easy. And, it's built to make your death utterly beneficial. If you fall through floor boards and get killed in 3 hits by two zombies, that's way too easy to die. I usually restart my game if I die once in the first seven days, and although it's possible to make it to that seven days, I find it happens a thousand times where I'm like "You know what, dying would solve a few problems right now."

By all means don't reduce the zombie damage or creature damage, but if you don't reduce the landmine damage either, that basically makes the broken wasteland biome a no-go zone for your entire playthrough.

Maaaaaan, please consider making a hardcore mode. Death is death; Single player only, you take 50% less damage from landmines and 75% less damage from all zombie/creature attacks. It's harder to die, but the moment you do die, your save is entirely deleted. Or just respawn your survivor and refresh the world back to default with all constructions/deconstructions undone. Falls can deal the same amount of damage as always. I just feel like dying is too beneficial in the current build... You can kill yourself to cure infection, stave off starvation and dehydration, even to fast travel back to your base. It just seems like the game should be called "7 days to exploit death", and I think a hardcore mode would really rock. Just make it a little harder to die, but make it so death is a final deal. Also, have you guys at TFP noticed that sometimes, dropped zombie loot bags disappear when you try to loot them? Maybe it's because I have my loot abundance set to 25%, but it happens literally all the time. I love the game but it just feels like it's kinda between places right now, alas, I understand that's the point of it being in alpha stages still. You guys are working things out. I think it would also help if there wasn't an aiming reticle for melee weapons, instead, the weapons could have an arc when swung that damaged anything within range, as long as they were within the arc. It just feels like I miss the head a lot of times when I really shouldn't, just because my reticle isn't directly on the head at the time the swing connects. The melee weapon makes contact, but the reticle being a centimeter to the right or left prevents it from registering as a hit. I just feel like a sledge hammer should be able to hit a couple zombies with one swing sometimes, it's just a peeve of mine. Lastly, I don't know how I feel about certain weapons being constrained to certain attributes. It would be nice if weapon specialization and perk specialization were two completely different things; For example, I'd like to have things such as Living off the Land and Animal Tracking, while also being specialized in the combat perks associated with bladed weapons. As it is now, you have to choose between the weapon you like and the survival-based perks you like, and that just feels kind of off. Just think of how cool it would be if you were granted 2 perk points per level up, and you could choose between several survival attributes, OR several combat attributes with how you spent your perks. Say you get 10 perk points for completing the introductory basics of survival quest, you could do one of three things: Amplify a weapon proficiency right off the bat, amplify your survival aspects right off the bat, or do a balance of both. As it is now it's like you have to sacrifice one to have the other; I feel like having 5 combat attribute lists and 5 survival attribute lists would not only allow for a longer immersion-investment time frame, but also would make players feel like they had more of a sense of personal specialization, rather than feeling like they were being locked into one specialization and locked out of others for the first 20 hours of their experience.

Where are the paragraph police when you need them?

This is kind of what I was talking about the other day. On day 53 in my sp game, I haven't considered crafting a weapon at all. I KNOW I can only find the best ones while looting, so why bother?

Its not worth crafting a pretty good one while you try to find a better one? Not arguing, just curious as to how you are thinking.

I think the perception perk could show what harvests you get when holding a wrench over an object somehow. But that takes the fun out of experimenting.

A perk might be good for new players...at least something they can optionally buy into to give them extra assistance.

If people with 2000+ hours are having issues figuring something out, you know new players will.

I have a few requests with some graphics. No big deal, just some things I think would be a little better.

It would be cool if the beer had a little more of a brown color. Not as brown as coffee, though I do enjoy an extra stout from time to time. The look and color is too much like honey.

The same goes for murky water and goldenrod tea. If the the tea was just a little more on the yellow side and the murky water a tiny bit more on the green side (or put some floaties in it), it would be awesome.

Lastly, please add a hinge or a handle to the iron hatch... or both. It's nearly impossible to figure out its rotation.

I generally agree. The handle on the hatch is a must have, I craft wooden ones and upgrade just to get it right.

Maybe there is a bug with the combined game stages, but I doubt it. Can you post a picture of the POI?

Will do next time I pop in.. we really liked the seed but hated the 7 deaths we both had on day two, so we wiped and used the same seed. (There are two traders a short distance from each other)

I also FINALLY saw desert for the first time tonight... YAY!

I found that same yellow trailer and in the kitchen were military and hazmat zombies. It's the POI. That's not particularly awful really...odd and out of place for that POI but not that hard to dispatch. My 2 quality stun baton did the trick and I'm not that good at melee. The furniture helped a little.

Thats where we saw them as well, the kitchen. We had one feral military guy, one regular military guy, and one wight.

And while we were trying to figure out a way to get out, a wandering horde busted open a wall for us. We managed to get out of that building alive, but they ended up hunting us down and getting us due to stamina loss.

I think those quests that you kill #X of Y passively are great to add diversity to the quests. They don't all have to be ones you focus directly on. The fact that you get an unexpected bonus for just playing the game is nice! Please consider keeping and possibly adding to them!

Loc

I'd like to improve them, seeing zombies spawn looks bad and only 5 isn't a challenge. Should be a full on mini horde event or something.

FP and MM,

I must say ... Well done. Well F'ing done! Having an absolute blast with all the changes.

My only feedback so far is the RWG. Can we get more variance between the biomes?

More like this but larger biomes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29748[/ATTACH]

Request: Can we get an ATV to be a stepup up from the mini bike, but step down from the 4x4?

Request: AR15 -or- M16?

War and Peace,

UnknownSoldier

Eventually yes. First goal is a stable gorgeous rwg with smooth roads and nice poi distribution, then we can get fancier.

Hoping someone could help, or maybe it's an item missing.. I couldn't find a Corner Inside Arch wooden block. Does such a block exist ?

I'm using Inside Arch on a building, looks odd to be using angled blocks and inside angles, so I'm hoping the above block can be added if not available.

Helmet lights are a thing in a18. No plans to make candles run out, it turns into a bunch of constant maintenance, especially in MP where 24 game days went by after you logged out.

it would be possible to replace candles to candlesticks, which should be filled with fat. there will be additional use of fat.

Remove the possibility of mounting to the wall from the torch. Or do similar mechanics with a candlestick.

endless energy in the game spoils the atmosphere.

A perk might be good for new players...at least something they can optionally buy into to give them extra assistance.

If people with 2000+ hours are having issues figuring something out, you know new players will.

Yeah we're trying to improve usability and qol.

Archived