Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Hoping the replaced particle effects on digging are a placeholder until performance is addressed with A18 stable. It's quite noticeable how bad this mosaic effect is, would prefer there to be no effect in place (it did look nice in b139 with the dust etc) https://i.imgur.com/DwRUoy3.png

Also, candles leave an unnatural looking trail of light right across the screen (left to right) that just doesn't look as nice as the torch as the larger flame covers the repetition.

Player torches having such a high heatmap (4.05, same as barrels since forever) is probably why a lot of people have issues with screamers, rather than running forges, as they are a far more reasonable 1.5 and same tick. Perhaps campfires are either too high at 1.5 in comparison to forges, or cement mixers are too low at 0.5.

Should be fixed in the next build. Some upgrade to newer particle system caused it but he fixed it.

I only use 1-2 torches except on horde night when I put a bunch out to see, so that is probably why my experience isn't so bad.

I meant, adding in books etc. in order to mitigate the heat is in my opinion unnecessary and is just catering to unskilled players. I do agree the torches need to produce a whole lot less heat, which looks like that change will be happening. I love the aesthetics of torches and do wish I could place them around my base, no doubt.

Oh ya lol, I just had to give some justification on creating a whole book series. Was a bad idea I admit. Seeing all the gas lamps and candle chandeliers in New Orleans ruined me lol. They add such a vibe.

It's not about challenge or dumbing down the game, it's about the aesthetics. Doesn't matter cause I'll just mod it anyway.

Well after the next patch you should be able to place a decent amount of them without blowing the screamer budget like now, its bugged from what I saw.

Plus when you have a helmet light who needs lighting in your base anyway.

Edit: Lmao, I didn't mean to quote myself. I'm crazy but not that crazy.

I do, I hate helmet light because its too bright and annoying and I should fix it instead of complain because It wouldn't take much longer than it did to type this bs.

MM are we suppose to be able to use the auger to collect a bunch of materials from cars? I was curious since and used the auger instead of a wrench and I got more with the auger than wrench same when I used it to tear apart fridges and other stuff we would normally use a wrench for and I ended up with a decent amount of items and it was crazy fast since I was using the auger instead of a wrench.

I do, I hate helmet light because its too bright and annoying and I should fix it instead of complain because It wouldn't take much longer than it did to type this bs.

Lmao

Change Log -

Reduced the brightness the Helmet Light so it doesn't piss me off anymore

Added Pumpkins

It's not about challenge or dumbing down the game, it's about the aesthetics. Doesn't matter cause I'll just mod it anyway.

Agree. Plus, at least running very low graphic options, the torches were, by far, the most usable & realistic 'light' for me.

The electric lights had to be on a switch or timer since during the day they'd wash everything out into a bright blob, even at default gamma.

Easily moddable of course.

Though ideally candles/torches that can not be seen at all by the zeds wouldn't generate any heat, but that doesn't appear to be the way they were coded, so even if it is ever touched, that would be a final minor 'polish' bit.

MM are we suppose to be able to use the auger to collect a bunch of materials from cars? I was curious since and used the auger instead of a wrench and I got more with the auger than wrench same when I used it to tear apart fridges and other stuff we would normally use a wrench for and I ended up with a decent amount of items and it was crazy fast since I was using the auger instead of a wrench.

Nope.

I have a few requests with some graphics. No big deal, just some things I think would be a little better.

It would be cool if the beer had a little more of a brown color. Not as brown as coffee, though I do enjoy an extra stout from time to time. The look and color is too much like honey.

The same goes for murky water and goldenrod tea. If the the tea was just a little more on the yellow side and the murky water a tiny bit more on the green side (or put some floaties in it), it would be awesome.

Lastly, please add a hinge or a handle to the iron hatch... or both. It's nearly impossible to figure out its rotation.

Guys i think i found an exploit:

You can craft lanterns and place them on the ceiling and never need to use generators to power bulb lights.

A18.0_2019-10-15_01-38-09.thumb.jpg.ebc8dcf25be5907af2407f2a5555ded3.jpg

Anyway lanterns are casting no shadows and are clipping trough blocks. They are just horrible to use.

I have a few requests with some graphics. No big deal, just some things I think would be a little better.

It would be cool if the beer had a little more of a brown color. Not as brown as coffee, though I do enjoy an extra stout from time to time. The look and color is too much like honey.

The same goes for murky water and goldenrod tea. If the the tea was just a little more on the yellow side and the murky water a tiny bit more on the green side (or put some floaties in it), it would be awesome.

Lastly, please add a hinge or a handle to the iron hatch... or both. It's nearly impossible to figure out its rotation.

I wish murky water and goldenrod tea was different colors. Being colorblind I cannot see any color difference between the two. I've done gone and already drank a few murky waters by accident thinking it was goldenrod tea lol.

These were kind of filler content prototype, I think they are kind of pointless and need to be improved or replaced with something better. Jen's/Stephan's treasure digs are fantastic, these others are just odd feeling to me.

I think those quests that you kill #X of Y passively are great to add diversity to the quests. They don't all have to be ones you focus directly on. The fact that you get an unexpected bonus for just playing the game is nice! Please consider keeping and possibly adding to them!

Loc

Maaaaaan, please consider making a hardcore mode. Death is death; Single player only, you take 50% less damage from landmines and 75% less damage from all zombie/creature attacks. It's harder to die, but the moment you do die, your save is entirely deleted. Or just respawn your survivor and refresh the world back to default with all constructions/deconstructions undone. Falls can deal the same amount of damage as always. I just feel like dying is too beneficial in the current build... You can kill yourself to cure infection, stave off starvation and dehydration, even to fast travel back to your base. It just seems like the game should be called "7 days to exploit death", and I think a hardcore mode would really rock. Just make it a little harder to die, but make it so death is a final deal. Also, have you guys at TFP noticed that sometimes, dropped zombie loot bags disappear when you try to loot them? Maybe it's because I have my loot abundance set to 25%, but it happens literally all the time. I love the game but it just feels like it's kinda between places right now, alas, I understand that's the point of it being in alpha stages still. You guys are working things out. I think it would also help if there wasn't an aiming reticle for melee weapons, instead, the weapons could have an arc when swung that damaged anything within range, as long as they were within the arc. It just feels like I miss the head a lot of times when I really shouldn't, just because my reticle isn't directly on the head at the time the swing connects. The melee weapon makes contact, but the reticle being a centimeter to the right or left prevents it from registering as a hit. I just feel like a sledge hammer should be able to hit a couple zombies with one swing sometimes, it's just a peeve of mine. Lastly, I don't know how I feel about certain weapons being constrained to certain attributes. It would be nice if weapon specialization and perk specialization were two completely different things; For example, I'd like to have things such as Living off the Land and Animal Tracking, while also being specialized in the combat perks associated with bladed weapons. As it is now, you have to choose between the weapon you like and the survival-based perks you like, and that just feels kind of off. Just think of how cool it would be if you were granted 2 perk points per level up, and you could choose between several survival attributes, OR several combat attributes with how you spent your perks. Say you get 10 perk points for completing the introductory basics of survival quest, you could do one of three things: Amplify a weapon proficiency right off the bat, amplify your survival aspects right off the bat, or do a balance of both. As it is now it's like you have to sacrifice one to have the other; I feel like having 5 combat attribute lists and 5 survival attribute lists would not only allow for a longer immersion-investment time frame, but also would make players feel like they had more of a sense of personal specialization, rather than feeling like they were being locked into one specialization and locked out of others for the first 20 hours of their experience.

FP and MM,

I must say ... Well done. Well F'ing done! Having an absolute blast with all the changes.

My only feedback so far is the RWG. Can we get more variance between the biomes?

More like this but larger biomes?

m2FwI2E.thumb.jpg.a0b9665c829425e478fab7a70179d868.jpg

Request: Can we get an ATV to be a stepup up from the mini bike, but step down from the 4x4?

Request: AR15 -or- M16?

War and Peace,

UnknownSoldier

Archived