Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

I'd like for the debuff to go away when you go get your stuff back, we can probally figure out some way to swing it and fit with the lore. Maybe part of you is missing and when you get your stuff back it fuses back with the rest of you restoring you to full power. Failure to get said bag restores your stats, but also imposes a exp penalty for an hour. Exp gain in a16 wasn't a big issue, but in a17 pretty much everything revolves around it.

Is that last comment a joke? 70 hps and stamina are no penalty? Like at all? Having to go back out and get your bag is no penalty? At all?

I'm not saying your points are wrong but that last statement is factually wrong.

Honestly i'd like the options for drop on death in the game so we can set it to none. We have: everything, toolbelt only, backpack only, or Delete all. I know we can edit some server file to do it, but it should be a selectable option in the game when we select new or continue game.

It's not a penalty many tried to avoid...

...get a few deaths and say "fuggit", then use death as a fast travel means, or to cure buffs, or whatever.

In the grand scheme, inconsequential. Technically "no penalty"? No. But in practicality, yes.

See, I don't get this. I always tried to keep my wellness as high as possible (usually ~130) and hated dying. Dying is failing. I think my longest time alive was over 30 hours, and if we only count zombie deaths (and not dying from falling in holes you can't see because of the stupid ground texture bug in A16) it's a lot longer.

It's not a penalty many tried to avoid...

...get a few deaths and say "fuggit", then use death as a fast travel means, or to cure buffs, or whatever.

In the grand scheme, inconsequential. Technically "no penalty"? No. But in practicality, yes.

That is a problem. People accept 70 wellness and hps for fast travel. But I never knew anyone that did that. If people wanna do that let them. The system worked great for me and my friends. I took my wellness very seriously and so did my friends.

Sounds like just needs some adjustments. The tricky part is finding something that works for both pve and pvp. Otherwise, maybe adding a setting. Death should come with consequences, so I think the general idea is good.

Meh. It doesn’t need to be balanced for PVP, merely moddable. If TFP can come with a solution that works for both, that’s great. But TFP shouldn’t tie their hands behind their back seeking balance between PVE and PVP provided that the feature at issue is moddable.

That is a problem. People accept 70 wellness and hps for fast travel. But I never knew anyone that did that. If people wanna do that let them. The system worked great for me and my friends. I took my wellness very seriously and so did my friends.

The real issue is that death wasn’t meaningful in A16. Now it is. Right now the penalty seems extreme to me but that is how the TFP work sometimes. They create a somewhat extreme setting and see how it’s received. Then they slowly dial it back.

The real issue is that death wasn’t meaningful in A16. Now it is. Right now the penalty seems extreme to me but that is how the TFP work sometimes. They create a somewhat extreme setting and see how it’s received. Then they slowly dial it back.

Is it really extreme though? Obviously opinions very but I say extreme would be death means death and when you die you go back to level 1 and stats get reset. Now I personally would have no issue with that at all and would welcome that in a heart beat but that would be extreme. I really just don't get how 1 hour is extreme. It has not stopped me at all from playing the game. Not once have I felt that I need to go afk because of it. But hey that is just me I guess.

Maybe keep the death penalty, but have a means to get out of it earlier, if you want.

Once you respwn, It gives you a fetch quest (random location), you then need to find a parcel that has a book "Know Thy Self". Once you read it, it removes the penalty.

• You still get the death penalty.
  • You have a means to remove it earlier if you don't want to wait.

Is it really extreme though? Obviously opinions very but I say extreme would be death means death and when you die you go back to level 1 and stats get reset. Now I personally would have no issue with that at all and would welcome that in a heart beat but that would be extreme. I really just don't get how 1 hour is extreme. It has not stopped me at all from playing the game. Not once have I felt that I need to go afk because of it. But hey that is just me I guess.

Imagine you have a bag full of loot you drop on death. Your stats are reduced so you lose your pack mule perk. You can't pick up all your stuff now. In PvE it's not a big deal but if you in a PvP environment that's a killer.

I'm indifferent cause I don't pvp but I can see people's point.

Imagine you have a bag full of loot you drop on death. Your stats are reduced so you lose your pack mule perk. You can't pick up all your stuff now. In PvE it's not a big deal but if you in a PvP environment that's a killer.

That is where you would need to make a sacrifice on what you want or handle the outcome to take it all.

Also nothing towards PVP because I do play it sometimes. But didn't TFP say long ago that the game was set up to be a PVE game? So it would be very understandable for them to make it work more towards that. Not saying they don't consider PVP at all and try to do things for it. Just saying the PVE part of the game out weigh PVP part. But maybe I missed something along the way that says other wise and go ahead and say sorry now if I have.

That is where you would need to make a sacrifice on what you want or handle the outcome to take it all.

Also nothing towards PVP because I do play it sometimes. But didn't TFP say long ago that the game was set up to be a PVE game? So it would be very understandable for them to make it work more towards that. Not saying they don't consider PVP at all and try to do things for it. Just saying the PVE part of the game out weigh PVP part. But maybe I missed something along the way that says other wise and go ahead and say sorry now if I have.

yep. They said they gonna focus on PvE first and deal with PvP near or after release, as a seperate mode i think. Afaik friendly fire was made possible by accident. And they kept it.

They did but Gazz replied to this concern with something like "Good point, I'll see if we can do something about that" implying maybe they can turn off the penalty from player kills.

Just cause it's not a focus doesn't mean they shouldn't do something if they can. =)

For me the death penalty adds nothing to my experience. I will adapt and get along with it but I do not see it's value at all. That's my opinion. Not a game breaker at all but more of shrug my shoulders at it kinda thing.

So in other words, you advocate for no consequences. Everyone I knew did this - no exceptions - because a free teleport and status reset > some max hp bonus. And I find it very hard to believe that someone who hadn't had a problem keeping their wellness up (which was not easy), has suddenly now a problem with the death penalty.

Neither have I. It is only extreme when comparing it to total lack of consequence like before.

But in PvP your killer takes your items, so you don't pick them up again anyway.

As Gazz said, they will probably just remove the penalty for PvP deaths.

They did but Gazz replied to this concern with something like "Good point, I'll see if we can do something about that" implying maybe they can turn off the penalty from player kills.

Just cause it's not a focus doesn't mean they shouldn't do something if they can. =)

For me the death penalty adds nothing to my experience. I will adapt and get along with it but I do not see it's value at all. That's my opinion. Not a game breaker at all but more of shrug my shoulders at it kinda thing.

That would be kinda weird. I mean getting killed by a zombie would weaken you so much you can´t even think about facing other players.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to sound like they shouldn't at all. They have done things for PVP but can't say one way or the other that they go out of the way to do so if that makes sense.

The way I see it is everyone has a opinion on the way it should be. Does it make anyone wrong? No because everyone has a preference to what they like. This is where TFP are very mod friendly and can easily adjust just about anything in the game to ones preference. Because no matter what they do in the base game it isn't going to please everyone. Something in it will definitely have disagreements from people.

Maybe it will still have some balancing that needs done to it. But imo 1 hour isn't that long of time. Also as far as the glitchy deaths or such. Maybe if those got fixed then this wouldn't be such a problem perhaps?

I get the impression that it's not so much a "death" anymore but that you have somehow "Hugh Glass"-ed yourself back to your base and the penalty is recovering from that. I like that idea, though for game reasons (and multiplayer) time doesn't really pass.

Maybe keep the death penalty, but have a means to get out of it earlier, if you want.

Once you respwn, It gives you a fetch quest (random location), you then need to find a parcel that has a book "Know Thy Self". Once you read it, it removes the penalty.

• You still get the death penalty.
  • You have a means to remove it earlier if you don't want to wait.

I think this is the right direction (along with it being a different length of time based on difficulty).

I really like the idea of a death penalty, but I'm not entirely sold on the current implementation of it. I don't mind it reducing my bonuses and health (etc...) , but I don't like that I can't spend points I've earned while under it's effects and I don't like losing how to do certain things because of it. I fully expect to rarely be under it's effects as I get more and more used to things (and my current playthrough with the wife is moving in this direction) but I think it needs some tweaking.

Mind you, I'm mostly modding it because if I don't my wife is gonna murder ME the next time she gets killed in the game, she is not happy with it :-)

Not the concept (the temporary loss of attributes), the implementation (reset to 1, loss of perks, etc.). My speculation is that they made the implementation extreme to gauge the response and adjust from there. The biggest flaw I see is the resetting of the intellect attribute. I can understand temporarily losing strength, fortitude, perception, and agility but the loss of the ability to craft tools/weapons seems a little too much to me. My guess is that the system will end up being a scaling loss of attribute points starting at 1 or similar.

Thinking out loud. What if every 15 minutes 25% of stats start popping back up randomly. So one time you die the first 15 minutes goes by this stat is good to go but the next time you die that first 15 minutes it might not be so everytime you die it would feel like a new death.

The only down side to this would be you spend time looking through perks figuring out what you can and can't do. So probably not the best idea perhaps.

No, it does not affect any of the early T1 perks.

Hyperbole is ineffective if it can be fact-checked that easily.

bull♥♥♥♥? i could only craft faulty crap for the duration. attributes absolutely 100% you're wrong get sent from level 3 back to level 1. even shows it is level 1 with a 1

so if that is a bug...fine. go fix the bug.

My problem with this penalty is medical. I've got nerve damage, so my twitch response is pretty bad. This "you suck, so suffer more and die faster" debuff is (was) incredibly annoying to me. I modded it to last 20 seconds instead of 1 hour by changing the timer value in buffs.xml from 3600 to 20. I tried 0 to simply remove it, but that made it appear to last forever since it started counting up from 0 instead of down to it, so I changed it to 20 and that works. 1 would probably work too, but I haven't tried it.

SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Config In there find buffs.xml

Edit bufs.xml look for buffNearDeathTrauma do the search, second listing of it, down about 3 lines below it, look for the duration=3600 and change it to something small, but not 0.

Not the concept (the temporary loss of attributes), the implementation (reset to 1, loss of perks, etc.). My speculation is that they made the implementation extreme to gauge the response and adjust from there. The biggest flaw I see is the resetting of the intellect attribute. I can understand temporarily losing strength, fortitude, perception, and agility but the loss of the ability to craft tools/weapons seems a little too much to me. My guess is that the system will end up being a scaling loss of attribute points starting at 1 or similar.

But you can still craft tools if you need them. I keep some extra tools/weapons in a box for when this happens that gets me through the hour. But if need for the time being to make a stone axe, a club or such I can still do all that. It isn't stopping me from doing what i need to do. I use the time to my advantage. One might look at it one way and to me that is fine everyone has a opinion but I see it as another. This new system has not stopped me form playing at all and is has not made me feel I need to go afk. I don't get to play games in general especially this one as much as I used to and 1 hour is not that long of time imo.

Wow. People don't even understand the debuff yet but are still modding it out. Wonder how many unsuspecting players will be playing on servers that have mods to gamefeatures not yet fully understood.

Whether I understand it or not is irrelevant. What I do understand is that 60 minutes of nerfing for the new player is a game breaker. I'm betting that it gets changed in the next few releases, but until then I will continue to reduce it's duration. Those that are looking for a brutal challenging experience would probably not be happy playing on my server. I would suggest to them they go play somewhere else.

Like I said before, one of the really nice things about 7D2D is that you can modify the xml to give you the gameplay experience you want, not what others tell you that you should be having.

Archived