Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

I was dying very often in the first few days, because it took me a while to figure out, that even simple bandages can repair you max health :D

Until now the death penalty is the only issue that really annoys me. I agree that it is good that we have a penalty. A friend of mine never cared about dying because of the lack of consequences, so clearly there should be some.

But if you die in the first days, I think the penalty is too much. It needs some balancing in my opinion. No too bad for low level players on the first few deaths, but increasing with your level and how often you die.

Another thing about the penalty lasting for one hour: There is a huge difference if you set daylength to 60 minutes or 120. If set to 60 minutes, the penalty lasts 2 days, if set to 120, the penalty lasts only half a day.

It may have been said, but maybe a death just drops the main 5 perk lvls by 1 (of course keeping it to where it locks out other perks if it required a higher base stat) and keep the penalty for 1 hour. But consecutive deaths while having the penalty would reset it to 1 hour and add another loss of stat lvls (so stack to 2, 3, etc.). That way it's not overly harsh, but keeps you on your toes still. Maybe keep it the same kind of death penalty the higher difficulty that is being played.

Wow this thread has really gone on. I'm not going to bother trying to catch up, your forum software really needs a go to last unread post in a thread function (or I'm a dumbass and someone needs to point it to me)

So yeah, some of the changes that even I was at first like "WTF, OMG I hate this" and having accepted that this is a whole new game in many ways and deciding I actually even really like a lot of the changes. An entire hour just sucks.

I'm not a dead is dead player but it kinda breaks my immersion and generally pisses me off so even without a penalty I try to avoid it. A16 you could argue that there was no penalty, but since maxing wellness was important to me, losing 10 was a big hit. That being said, given the choice to wait out a broken leg for an hour or suicide, I was likely going to suicide.

Thankfully the broken leg doesn't seem as easy to acquire in A17, but lest any of us miss the hour of suck you've given us a means to feel all the thrill again by simply getting snuffed.

If the goal is to stop the cheesy exploits (like endless bloodpacks, teleporting, probably other things I haven't thought of cause it isn't my thang) then even a 15 min penalty would achieve that (I think...I don't even know if the current penalty prevents anyone from grinding bloodpacks). It's also long enough that the death spiral is a threat to keep TRolland happy :p

If the goal was to punish us for dieing (more than dieing itself IS a punishment for some of us) then bravo! You have done it.

That being said, for those of us who haven't figured it out yet, it seems the various eyewear items along with the cigar for those lucky people who have found one, are at least some mitigation for it. They do ♥♥♥♥all if you are at the statcap, but my nerdy glasses at least kept an entire hour from being wasted for me yesterday.

I hope that this is something we can mod!!

Buffs.xml

CTRL+F

type "trauma"

ENTER

scroll down a few lines and change 3600 to whatever you want. 900 = 15 minutes. I set it to 1.

I already dropped my stuff way over next to my bike, and I have to run back and get it with the games gimped Stamina mechanic. That's enough torture for me.

Right now, my play time in a given night is 20-90 minutes depending on how cooperative the kid is with bedtime. If I get a penalty that takes the full hour of my play time, I'm just going to opt out of playing. I'm not going to AFK for an hour. I'm not going to struggle for an hour. I have enough struggle in my normal life. I'll just go play another game.

That being said, it's why I'm a proponent of options. So, if there's options built in that allow me to pick the death penalty I'm all for that. There's plenty of different ways to bring challenge to the game.

Yep. thats it right there. My favorite game just died and it didnt even take 7 days.

I love the death penalty cuz my mate on the server is always complaining about it...

He is dying every 2nd day...I hope that never change ;-)

I’m sad when he is getting double killed while picking up his backpack from the first death and don’t get a double penalty.

But...I have to find a way to live with it.

Well - when people jump in not wanting to read, nor much less take the time to listen to people whom have... Then start playing and not realizing that the penalty is IRL TIME... Then they get bent out of shape, especially when they've died multiple times. A few ill own up to it, while others will want to rant and rave, while others with 'just accept and move in' and the whole slew of other options everyone has...

Yes I did not read the entire 20 pages of this post but a few posts here and there... I do think it is a bit harsh, considering that at least in Alpha 16 there wasn't a penalty like this that I know of... Maybe a bit more harsh because 'we haven't experienced it' to be more exact. But yes there should be some scaling done to it's length and impact upon the player. I would say some sliders might be better...

I do not see the point in death penalty at all in this game.

Especially with early game stamina which can be crippling enough with out halving it.

i think it will ruin it for new players trying to learn the game and turn them off to it big time!

Personally I have never died purposefully in any game and fetching my back pack is a pain enough.

If player chooses to do a deliberate death so what?? How does that impact you? Does it ruin your game?

I can press F1 type "dm" then "q" if I so chose! I can then teleport anywhere on the map!

Sounds like a few players are more worried about how other players are playing then enjoying their own game

Especially with early game stamina which can be crippling enough with out halving it.

i think it will ruin it for new players trying to learn the game and turn them off to it big time!

Personally I have never died purposefully in any game and fetching my back pack is a pain enough.

If player chooses to do a deliberate death so what?? How does that impact you? Does it ruin your game?

I can press F1 type "dm" then "q" if I so chose! I can then teleport anywhere on the map!

Sounds like a few players are more worried about how other players are playing then enjoying their own game

Until there is a proper death is death mode in the game I am happy for any death penalty that makes me think twice about taking risks that could end in death. It's the decision making time before taking some form of action that a real death penalty makes more exciting.

The other side of this is that ever since this particular penalty has been in the game I actually feel okay continuing instead of just starting over. I feel a bit guilty about it but it tries so hard to convince me that it was just a "near-death" and somehow off-camera mysterious forces helped me out of my jam and left me back at my spawn point weak and all tore up but still barely alive.

I still give myself 3 of these max before I start over again. I mean a man can only lie to himself so many times...

While I don’t care how anyone chooses to play the game and it’s none of my business, how people play the game is the province of the devs. If the devs don’t want to design a game where players are incentivized to die to remove debuffs (like broken legs or infections), that’s entirely reasonable. If you want to mod the death debuff out, do it. If you want to enter god mode to remove the debuff, do it.

Until there is a proper death is death mode in the game I am happy for any death penalty that makes me think twice about taking risks that could end in death. It's the decision making time before taking some form of action that a real death penalty makes more exciting.

The other side of this is that ever since this particular penalty has been in the game I actually feel okay continuing instead of just starting over. I feel a bit guilty about it but it tries so hard to convince me that it was just a "near-death" and somehow off-camera mysterious forces helped me out of my jam and left me back at my spawn point weak and all tore up but still barely alive.

I still give myself 3 of these max before I start over again. I mean a man can only lie to himself so many times...

Yes it does make people think twice! about playing the game. How is ruining the experience of players for a real time hour any good? (make it a game hour or two that is fine)

I understand how you are thinking but I really think if this is kept in it will spoil it for a lot of casual gamer's and new players.

Also "you know" the game you could easily edit the xml to how you feel comfortable continuing your game style, new players wont!

I will edit it for sure if kept as it is, I am just looking at it for the new gamer side of it more then anything.

Yes it does make people think twice! about playing the game. How is ruining the experience of players for a real time hour any good? (make it a game hour or two that is fine)

I understand how you are thinking but I really think if this is kept in it will spoil it for a lot of casual gamer's and new players.

Also "you know" the game you could easily edit the xml to how you feel comfortable continuing your game style, new players wont!

I will edit it for sure if kept as it is, I am just looking at it for the new gamer side of it more then anything.

New players are likely to be less frustrated than you are because they don’t know any another way.

New players are likely to be less frustrated than you are because they don’t know any another way.

Frustrated? Where what when lol Just stating something I believe and feel I can express!?

and yes thank you for your "PERMISSION"I shall edit and play the game as I so chose I do play single player so will not upset to many if I do.

Sorry sir you are all knowing wonder of the forums I shall bow to your knowledge and kiss your feet.. NOT

you are very condescending tho

Play dead is dead 1 life -- like a real man :)

Frustrated? Where what when lol Just stating something I believe and feel I can express!?

and yes thank you for your "PERMISSION"I shall edit and play the game as I so chose I do play single player so will not upset to many if I do.

Sorry sir you are all knowing wonder of the forums I shall bow to your knowledge and kiss your feet.. NOT

you are very condescending tho

You misunderstood him. He was saying that new players will be less frustrated with the change because to them it won’t be a change. It will just be the way the game plays. They won’t have anything previous to compare it to. He was not saying at all that you shouldn’t post how you feel. There was no reason to fly off the handle like that.

I give you permission to relax. ;)

You misunderstood him. He was saying that new players will be less frustrated with the change because to them it won’t be a change. It will just be the way the game plays. They won’t have anything previous to compare it to. He was not saying at all that you shouldn’t post how you feel. There was no reason to fly off the handle like that.

I give you permission to relax. ;)

Thanks Roland :) Who thought one game could turn your hair grey lol

I made another post about it in general when I did not see this one, sorry about that. I think I am just not going to play this game for now because of the death debuff. It is terrible and it makes the game not enjoyable.

We are not having fun and the death debuff is the biggest reason why. I don't really need a bigger justification than that. We do not get much time to play games anymore and having an IRL hour taken up basically means we will not be able to play a lot of nights without the death debuff.

I do not think my wife has been without the death debuff at all after she hit level 5. I know you people on the internet will say "get good" or the like and my response to that is why waste our time "getting good" when we can just play a fun game...

I do not care about the merits of the death debuff at all right now. It needs to be a configurable option and that is it...

Archived