Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

But you can still craft tools if you need them. I keep some extra tools/weapons in a box for when this happens that gets me through the hour. But if need for the time being to make a stone axe, a club or such I can still do all that. It isn't stopping me from doing what i need to do. I use the time to my advantage. One might look at it one way and to me that is fine everyone has a opinion but I see it as another. This new system has not stopped me form playing at all and is has not made me feel I need to go afk. I don't get to play games in general especially this one as much as I used to and 1 hour is not that long of time imo.

I haven't died yet but I also wouldn't go afk if I did. I would, however, adjust what I was going to do. I would avoid harvesting/mining and would go loot/kill zombies. In my opinion, the penalty could use some refining and I expect it will get it. I also think that losing the crafting perks is dumb. Overall, I think the biggest weakness of A17 is how strongly it encourages you to go kill zombies. In A16 you could ignore the zombies if you wanted to. TBH, A16 probably went to far in this direction but A17 seems like an over-correction to me.

I haven't died yet but I also wouldn't go afk if I did. I would, however, adjust what I was going to do. I would avoid harvesting/mining and would go loot/kill zombies. In my opinion, the penalty could use some refining and I expect it will get it. I also think that losing the crafting perks is dumb. Overall, I think the biggest weakness of A17 is how strongly it encourages you to go kill zombies. In A16 you could ignore the zombies if you wanted to. TBH, A16 probably went to far in this direction but A17 seems like an over-correction to me.

Punching grass will get you xp faster than killing zombies... 10 xp per plant broken vs 700 xp per zombie. if you don't have a way to generate heat (or whatever it's called now) then you will easily be able to waste 70 plants in the time it takes to waste 1 zombie + time to find another one...

Punching grass will get you xp faster than killing zombies... 10 xp per plant broken vs 700 xp per zombie. if you don't have a way to generate heat (or whatever it's called now) then you will easily be able to waste 70 plants in the time it takes to waste 1 zombie + time to find another one...

I don't know about that. The xp for plant gathering and all is good, but even after just making a simple bow and arrow set, it would end up taking you much longer to punch 70 plants than it is for me to shoot 3 arrows into a zombie's head. Even melee kills are only a handful of strikes at first, doesn't take much to put them down.

Even if you account for the time difference between killing one zombie and moving to the next, that still seems a bit off. Not sure how everyone else is with zombie density, but i usually (while im just walking around) have at least 1 or 2 in visual range at all times. If the density is lower, and you're several minutes finding one, maybe. Even when i'm harvesting, i have to be pretty vigilant because they'll mosey on over to me because of super-hearing and senses lol.

Not saying that harvesting isn't good xp, because it certainly is, but not sure about the math here. Just my 2 cents.

We have zombies walk/run configurable.

We have zombie damage configurable.

We have loot respawn configurable.

We have loot abundance configurable.

Almost every part of this game which creates difficulty is configurable. Even the topics the devs have taken a strong public stance like gamma is configurable even though Madmole says that it should be played dark and moody.

Let's just make this configurable and then the question of game balance is taken care of. We don't need to dismiss the worthiness of our respective experiences or tell one another how to play the game 'right'.

It would be in the spirit of the game's design to let us play how we want to enjoy the game.

So in other words, you advocate for no consequences. Everyone I knew did this - no exceptions - because a free teleport and status reset > some max hp bonus. And I find it very hard to believe that someone who hadn't had a problem keeping their wellness up (which was not easy), has suddenly now a problem with the death penalty.

Why play with cheaters? Just because your friends are losers doesn't mean we need to arbitrarily cripple everyone.

@wordwaster

Even your own screenshot proves that the perks were not reset to zero, which is what I said.

what you actually said:

Have you even tried it? That is how it already works.

You do not "lose all attributes" or "lose all progress". That's all hyperbole.

You cannot lose more than 1/2 of a maxed-for-your-level attribute.

my response

um...yeah, it will take you down to level 1 if you are at level 2. that is "all" progress.

No, it does not affect any of the early T1 perks.

Hyperbole is ineffective if it can be fact-checked that easily.

you CAN lose all attributes. You CAN lose more than 1/2 your levels on attributes. you CAN apologize any time you'd like.

maybe i should have clarified that i was talking about attributes, but since level one isn't "all progress" for anything but attributes AND since you only specifically brought up attributes in the post i was quoting, i didn't think i had to.

but it doesn't change that you made false claims and then called me a liar for pointing it out.

oh and before you say "that isn't all progress because you still have a point in a perk"; i'll point out that if you put all your points into attributes and hadn't put any points in perks, it is entirely possible to lose literally all progress in the earliest stages of the game.

Just watched a streamer, and that death penalty is way crazy.

I don`t mind a penalty, but I think that 1 hour is a bit too much.

Maybe drop it too 15 minutes, and then add 15 per death. Also have an option, to make it more or less (Or none at all), or maybe link it too difficulty for those that want it.

I hope that this is something we can mod!!

I completely agree, I have been playing on the hardest difficulty since I first started playing this game years ago and I loved it, but with the addition of this debuff it makes it a waiting game just to get rid of it. You can't even spend time in your base crafting while waiting for the buff to go away since it lowers your crafting skill.

Please Fun Pimps, add the option to set how this debuff is applied in game.

<buff name="buffNearDeathTrauma" name_key="buffNearDeathTraumaName" description_key="buffNearDeathTraumaDesc" tooltip_key="buffNearDeathTraumaTooltip" icon="ui_game_symbol_near_death_trauma" icon_color="255,128,0" remove_on_death="false">

...set that last "false" to "true".

Should work, anyway.

Eh, it kills pvp. I just got killed, took 30 minutes hunting down the guy bc stam regen went to crap, found him, and lost the gunfight even though I had the drop on him and emptied 3 sniper mags into him. So now there's no way to come back unless you just luck out and they get overrun by zombies. Until the admin of the server mods the debuff I'm just done with the game. Wanna kill off half your player base? Great way to do it right here.

The main reason streamers are dying a lot is that everyone is used to death being [EXPECTED IN NORMAL GAMEPLAY].

A tough penalty would be to make the xp loss permanent. Overly harsh would be automatically deleting your character.

Fixed that for you.

Also, someone get this boy a hardcore mode and a roll of sandpaper next to his toilet so he stops pooping in the public sandbox.

1 hour is too long, and it completely disrupts game flow. You can get level 20 by day 7 with some effort, and with dying on day 7 being almost inevitable (barring exceptional experience/luck), you are basically denied access to your entire perk tree for an entire gameplay cycle.

There's nothing that screams "game of the year material' like being sat down for a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ hour being treated like a child, completely incapable of using hard-earned perk points or progressing (at all) to prepare for the next horde night. Instead, you risk getting killed all over again like it was Day 1 and prolonging the trash-tier experience that won't let you play the **** game.

You don't get to pick the fights in this game. Zombies slink up behind you, You walk into a bar and end up in a ****fest with two zombie bears, or you take a walk in the forest and get eaten by a dozen dogs. Being dropped to level 1 basically is a massive game flow stopper. 15 minutes can be spent productively. A full day cycle in noob-mode accomplishes nothing and is neither satisfactory nor fun.

It's like if you got killed in Stardew Valley, and instead of waking up late in the day, you lost the whole day instead. Hope you weren't planning on doing anything!

Eh, it kills pvp. I just got killed, took 30 minutes hunting down the guy bc stam regen went to crap, found him, and lost the gunfight even though I had the drop on him and emptied 3 sniper mags into him. So now there's no way to come back unless you just luck out and they get overrun by zombies. Until the admin of the server mods the debuff I'm just done with the game. Wanna kill off half your player base? Great way to do it right here.

That's why I mentioned very early in this thread that it should probably not take effect on PVP kills.

What would be helpful is if there was a consumable that got rid of the debuff, like whiskey. make it very hard and time consuming to make, or expensive to buy. Because there are plenty of bull♥♥♥♥ ways to die in this game, like random unmarked radiation zones....

Don't worry. It's coming. You'll have the luxury of paying $1 for it in the steam store any day now.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I mentioned very early in this thread that it should probably not take effect on PVP kills.

Then please change it. Yesterday.

PvP needs an entirely different rule set.

Thanks to a17, we can make that happen.

It wouldn't if TFP were building an open world sandbox survival that was rich in experiences/player interaction/questing/things to do. Instead of adding more of those things for the last 18 months, they have spent most of their time rebuilding the game in an updated engine, passing off Madmole's ideas on how this game needs to be modelled after <insert aRPG>, and reworking passive things (guns/armor/loot tables) and calling it groundbreaking. The vehicles are welcome additions, but other than that, I would say the rest of it is either unwelcome modifications or fake news.

My main gripe is that it appears re-adding the land claim blocks are a DLL required change. That has very real, and very devastating consequences for anyone that plays on multiplayer servers (PVE or PVP). We can't fix that.

The movement feels like you're walking in jello, which I don't think we can fix either.

We can remove all the other stuff they've added and rework the level gates, death penalty, buffs, debuffs, perks, attributes, and un-Madmole this game to make it enjoyable again.

As far as I was concerned, when Gazz said he was going to try and allow the player inflicted kills to not cause a death penalty, this thread was over (19 pages ago).

Archived