Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Someone called the devs morons, You defended them. But you think I'm triggered. Lmao.

Obviously you were. I said something the devs may not like and you immediatly started attacking me.

I pointed out there is a reason people are mad right now and you told me to shut the ♥♥♥♥ up and play. Thats what i would call triggered.

(...)

I respect the hell out of you Joel. From your back story to your rise in your field. I agree with almost 100 percent of everything you post. You are deeply inspiring to people like me who have a vision and want to go out and achieve their dream. Which is why it bewilders me that the game I am playing today, with this update, seems SO far removed from anything your vision seems to have been in the years I have been a member here. I think in your heart you already know this but a lot of pressure from the shouting community has forced you to put that vision aside.

So much of this. Some things were out of balance, sure, and 17 is definitely way harder than 16, but I can see myself the difficulty sliding back that direction. I know it seems like there's the constant crowd on here screaming that everything is too hard unless they get 800 iron from one node, have infinite food and stamina, forges out their bums and one-shotting everything in their invincible wooden bases (as well as not having infinite concrete by the first week)... but I am sure there's a majority of us more quiet that crave the game to be different. The game wasn't hyped to be a casual role-playing stroll in the park with zombies never bothering you unless you yelled at them to attack you/letting you care-free building world wonders, it was hyped to be the game that WILL kill you while you struggle to build defense against the zombie hordes.

That's what made me interested, and quite a bit of people that I know as well. I can get past graphics, hell, I don't mind complete 1990's graphics. Minecraft is a bore to me because its just like playing with Legos. 7 days on the console bored me to death because there was absolutely zero challenge, just a grind. You get the idea; all of my friends and people I know on Steam quit the game in 16 (and console) because it was a grind to do nothing. No threats, no challenge, no aspects of survival. You were done before day 7.

The last bit I played of 16 was with about 18 other people on one server, and co-op with a friend. Both games had waaay jacked up spawning on horde nights (thanks to Guppy ;p) and we all were trying our damnest to NOT build an OP base, yet build something we were proud of.

Big server? By day 14 we realized our bases were all too op. Iron bases. Zero cheesing. So, we build a "town", some concrete some iron most wood. We all stood in the houses and such in there, we were all bored. Day 28, we just stood out in the open because ♥♥♥♥ it we had nothing to use up the tens of thousands of rounds and countless supplies. Nobody was even injured. Hell, we started wearing normal clothes or being naked and... nothing. Insane difficulty, jacked up spawns. That entire group uninstalled.

Co-op, same thing. I had to think hard to make a base non-op. Built a freaking log cabin with a solitary wall around it. Again, modded constant spawning on Insane with edited horde groups to only spawn rad-wights/cops/strong zombies only. No crawlers no spiders no nurses, etc.

Banned the use of every gun besides blunderbuss. Day 48 we gave up. Falling asleep; we decided to do 4 horde nights in a row (editing the time back before one ended). Nothing. Lost one block in the wall.

Some people like that, I get it. But I think, especially from a marketing standpoint, the challenge of "Hey, we build this badass open-survival huge 100% destroy-able survival tower-defense zombie game. And yes, you will die and you won't survive." will be a key attraction to new players who haven't bought into it. If they hear that it's a casual stroll in the park that requires grinding, well, there's already (insert easy survival game here).

I could go on but ya know. Don't want to make an entire page on a rant lol. Still love the game, and I trust the balancing wont be too bad. But please don't cater to the constant "emergahd too hard nerf everything plz" crowd. Everyone has tastes, but please cater to them on lower difficulties. Leave normal and up more challenging.

Any hard numbers on how much food/water drain was changed? It was waaaaaaaaay too much last patch; I shot 3 rabbits and a doe and found a half-dozen eggs and went through it all in a day. On that note, Charred/Boiled/Grilled Meat should have significantly boosted filling power; you shouldn't need several large animals worth of meat to fill a stomach, especially when the same amount of meat becomes disproportionately more filling in the advanced recipes. I understand the better recipes should be incentivized, but it seems silly that these massive servings of meat only become filling when you have a couple eggs with it.

The terrain generation was changed. You may have noticed that lanes now come perpendicularly off a diagonal road among other things. The slightest change in a procedurally generated system will have a huge impact by the time the map has generated. Unfortunately that's just the nature of procedurally generated terrain.

Thats clear, and because of the RWG nature i tried to make clear that i want experience from players and (at this moment) no changes from TFP

But both Seeds i used until now in A17e are filled with Rubble buildings, 2/3 of my towns are filled with them

Talking about worst start... I start my game in Forest, it was 16K map. I get trader 5KM away from me. So I walk in that direction.. I was in Desert biome, there are vulture 3 of them flying on my head. I each enough of yucca fruit as I had no other food and no POI for 5KM to loot and find shelter. So Yucca give me Food poisioning level 2. So that reduce my hit point to 25, and my stamina generate is almost nil, I cross 5 KM desert alive. with 25 hit point ..killing about 30 zombie and 3-4 vulture. And yes thanks to yucca I didn't get dehydrated, but in desert I was over heated. and I cannot do anything to avoid it. I cannot melee zed with that stamina or health.

The good thing is it was fun then entrying those Dungeon POI. And I actually feel like I survive.

You got lot of things to do.. it is not fluid gameplay, it is called survival. If you think you are playing Zombie killing game, then this is not really that game. It is open world suvival where enemy will find you and kill you.

I am the last one who encumber about long therm tasks. But these "Slow motion" gaming is really really really annoying. Enough that i deleted my game a few hours ago in rage. Damn reinstall needed 3 Hours thanks to my Internet.

I am the last one who encumber about long therm tasks. But these "Slow motion" gaming is really really really annoying. Enough that i deleted my game a few hours ago in rage. Damn reinstall needed 3 Hours thanks to my Internet.

Awww, welcome back? =P

I mean, I started the latest exp in the snow biome, and the cold wasn't even an issue for me. I made a starter there (since I prefer snow biomes) and knew I needed to get more clothing, so ventured to find a more stable one. Found a forest biome, made it a priority to loot dressers and such for cold-weather gear and a cooking pot. Found a coat and a sweatshirt, been living comfortably in the snow since. If I do get cold, I put a campfire down and equip a torch. No issues lol.

You are using your brain, though. That is essentially cheating.

As I understand, survival is taking things slow. Don't rush. This game somewhere was like that but in A17, they are trying to make it class oriented, multiplayer and little fast pace. Yes they are still balancing, but this game start little more tricker then a16. You just need to understand, it is open world survival. everything else is related and is actually bonus of playing long time. In real world it never get harder with time, maybe it do in different sense that fi this thing happen, zombie evolve or die of other natural cause and doesn't sustain long enouhg for your 365 day horde night.. Who knows. But you won't become double powerful in year, or build a Motorcycle of your own. Things goes slow there...

Get happy get gaming :).

- - - Updated - - -

BTW talking about Snow biome and deset biome. I understand that we build single style of Plant fiber cloth. but in real time you might just make it thicker or thinner based on where you are. So I think even plant fiber based cloth should have 3 style, regular, more Cold resist or more heat resist. not by much, but still say 2/3 point +/- will be good.

Brilliant. RWG was looking oddly the same with recent games even though it was random gen, couldn't work that one out even if I tried. Haha

Loving these fast builds --- this is more like it.

"Biomes now generated by xml settings again" from patch notes, this kinda explains why we didn't have success before :p

I just started a new world on my dedi and it's outputting much higher city populations to the console while generation it. Curious if it's 100% due to the downtown PoIs being back or if cities are also bigger in area.

Lol, I wanted random biomes and varied terrain back so bad. So I start out new game, im in a giant desert. I start the journey to get out before finishing my starter quest because I dont want to be stuck in the desert. Run for most of the first day, first biome I see is snow, I stop by there to get some snow for my tin cans. Then I keep running, next biome is wasteland lol, I avoid that and then almost fall off a mountain I didnt realize I was on. I carefully slide down the mountain.

At this point I still havent done my starter quests, I find a small little forest, but not worth settling there. I still hope to get a trader in a decent biome before I search for decent clothes I can survive in around here but I give up on that and do the starter quests. I am pretty sure it points right back to the wasteland I tried to bypass for my first trader.

Luckily I found a motel along the way. Hopefully day 2 I can clear it and get clothes before the overheating/freezing, dog chasing, land mine avoiding fun begins.

Good times. Thanks for the changes to RWG! Much less predictable, I love it.

You are using your brain, though. That is essentially cheating.

Oh, you're right lmao.

"Omg I started in a snow biome wtf I got all cold and stuff and my plant fiber outfit wasn't working. I walked around out in the open through the snow and kept freezing to death wtf get rid of snow biomes now rabble rabble rabble rabble!" Was that better? rofl

- - - Updated - - -

With these RGW changes SnowDog must be reaching a climax somewhere...

I hope so. Poor guy :(

snip

I'm not going to say what you predicted I'd say. I'm only going to predict that your next gushing post of praise is soon to be written like it always is after one of these overly dramatic and premature proclamations of doom. The cycle has repeated itself dozens of times now so I'm not worried.

Also, there is not one single person on the team who is in favor of a more relaxed game style. :)

pretty sure the radiation is just near the edge of the maps (this was stated quite a while back on original a17 patch notes I think). On the 4000x4000 maps I noticed it seems closer in than you'd think. can't even get to the snow or desert biomes before you get mutated. Best to keep an eye on the map. if you can't pan in a direction, be wary.

No, they are definitely in the middle of maps. The post that you are quoting is quoting a post that even confirms it.

No, they are definitely in the middle of maps. The post that you are quoting is quoting a post that even confirms it.

They are in the middle of maps. It is an unfinished feature. Soon there will be a Geiger counter sound and a screen effect so that you know you are entering such a place. There are plans for radiated areas along the lines of risk/reward and places to avoid before you are ready or don't come crying on the forums because you'll get no comfort from us.

Why isn't it complete yet? Time.

Zoom in...you will see the POI names and the traders.

Yeah, they really need to put the key commands in the legend of the map previewer. They are not very intuitive and are confusing for newer players.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously you were. I said something the devs may not like and you immediatly started attacking me.

I pointed out there is a reason people are mad right now and you told me to shut the ♥♥♥♥ up and play. Thats what i would call triggered.

Or simply someone tired of listening to the whining and name-calling.

Archived