Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

They are in the middle of maps. It is an unfinished feature. Soon there will be a Geiger counter sound and a screen effect so that you know you are entering such a place. There are plans for radiated areas along the lines of risk/reward and places to avoid before you are ready or don't come crying on the forums because you'll get no comfort from us.

Why isn't it complete yet? Time.

This makes me happy.

what do traders look like?

You mean what do the traders in game look like? I assume you are talking about POIs rather than the NPCs. Just look for the flapping white flag. Traders are literally the only POIs with flags flapping in the breeze.

They are in the middle of maps. It is an unfinished feature. Soon there will be a Geiger counter sound and a screen effect so that you know you are entering such a place. There are plans for radiated areas along the lines of risk/reward and places to avoid before you are ready or don't come crying on the forums because you'll get no comfort from us.

Why isn't it complete yet? Time.

This makes me curious, though, if the feature is only half-baked right now, why turn it on in the game at all? Why not just wait to flip the switch until something is at least mostly finished? This is something that always lead to unhappiness whenever a company does it, it's something that seems a no-brainer to know not to do?

Seems XP hasn't changed much. chop a whole tree for 10-12 xp at the end only.

but kill 1 stupid zombie and get 550.

I thought you guys fixed this... stone isn't giving much xp either. and i honestly don't have a clue where the XP is in the configs or i woulda changed it myself by now.

I've gotta say I wasn't feeling it when alpha 17 rolled out. The change in style was drastic and the death penalties length really killed a large portion of time for someone that can't heavily invest. I stuck with it though and by my third test run I adapted well and started to enjoy the flow of things. I like the changes to the skill tree, love that I don't have to farm every corpse, and appreciate the amount of work a city can be to loot. The new vehicles (minus headlights) have been very enjoyable. Trader quests are kind of lame for reward vs time/risk, but it's a nice addition. It may have taken a dark age or two, but great work TFP. Winter is coming and mine shall be filled with zombies.

I guess this needs to replace the forum permissions message at the top because I keep posting about it and people keep being ignorant of it. Here goes another try:

The game stores the extra amount of food you eat over 100%. You do NOT have to wait to lose 30% of your max stamina to make eating a meat stew worthwhile. You can eat a meat stew when you are at 100% max stamina and still get the benefit of it. If you have a stack of 3-4 grilled meat left after reaching 100% go ahead and eat the rest to clear an inventory slot. You'll get credit for it and your bar will stay at 100% until the extra food points have been used up by max stamina damage.

Overeating might not be ideal but it is a real mechanic in the game since A17 first released to experimental.

Well, it is unintuitive so hence the need for explaining.

It would make more sense to start lowering the stamina at 50% fullness and not let you eat anymore at 100%. It could still go over 100% with the last meal you consume but beyond that it's just confusing

I was wondering why I couldnt find a forest, exited out and generated a couple maps, One of them had zero forest, zero burnt forest, was almost entirely desert with a small corner of the map wasteland, thats it. The other just a small patch of pine forest.

Did you press space on the generator? You have to do it to zoom all the way out? Just don't know if you knew that or not.

Or simply someone tired of listening to the whining and name-calling.

I read here for a while now so i know how it works and so i expected a reaction like that. I know whenever someone dares to say something slightly critical about the game or TFP their dogs immediatly start barking. Good boy, your owner must be proud of you!

I read here for a while now so i know how it works and so i expected a reaction like that. I know whenever someone dares to say something slightly critical about the game or TFP their dogs immediatly start barking. Good boy, your owner must be proud of you!

Maybe you should just try to stop posting like a monkey, boy. You can write everything down, but the form matters as much as the substance when you're chatting on a forum.

I'm not going to say what you predicted I'd say. I'm only going to predict that your next gushing post of praise is soon to be written like it always is after one of these overly dramatic and premature proclamations of doom. The cycle has repeated itself dozens of times now so I'm not worried.

Also, there is not one single person on the team who is in favor of a more relaxed game style. :)

I just don't have it in me anymore Roland. Writing is definitely on the wall here. I WAS optimistic but I am not any longer. The praise you say I will heap is already in that second to last paragraph. But maybe that's the issue here? You guys maybe think long time fans will just always be here. We will always adapt. I can tell you that isnt always the case.

A lot of people say growing is best for the future of this game, attract new people etc. But I think what gets forgotten is the long time players. The people who will be here when the Pimps aren't. The modders who will ensure that 6 years after development moves on WE are still making new content and fueling players to keep playing and therefore keep introducing new players to a dormant game. What happens when THOSE players become jaded?

And to put an exclamation point on my last post, I think it would benefit you and the Pimps well to look at other forms of feedback. A great case in point is the new random gen. Once again we are back to the ugly mish mash of biomes with no rhyme or reason from 16 (see a trend here with everything being reverted back to A16 standards).

You will notice that there are a lot of posts detailing how much they HATE this RWG. See here is where you guys are truly mucking this up. Knee jerk reactions. Now maybe this was the plan all along, and if so then it was INCREDIBLY short sighted to get players used to a nice neat map and then throw this back at them. Much like the backtracking going on with perks and zombies etc I think moves are being made before players are even given a chance to get used to a new way of doing things.

Seriously, look at this Alpha in its current state. The ONLY thing left that makes it any different than 16 at this point is the POIs and the AI. You have either reverted things BACK to A16, OR yanked out content from A16 meaning...its somehow LESS than A16 was. What??

No Roland there won't be a post where i heap praise on this Alpha because quite frankly it took my praise in week one and tossed it aside. I have no more praise to give. And that saddens me MOST of all.

- - - Updated - - -

not too happy with rwg in this. needs more variets. like some of the mini dungeon poi's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26414[/ATTACH]

How embarrassingly awful. After weeks of getting realistic looking roads and towns we are back to this garbage. Whatever.

E X P E R I M E N T A L. If everything in it was finished they would pick a different name.

Generally you wouldn't put an unfinished feature into a public facing (like a public alpha) build. Even an E X P E R I M E N T A L one. Experimental (sorry E X P E R I M E N T A L) builds like this are usually used to take features that have been completed but not fully QA'd and throw them at the wall, and see what sticks. Which, aside from this one feature, has been the case for a17e (from what I've seen at the least). Now, if the geiger counter was in and broken, or in and hilariously misleading/confusing/bad, that would be a different story. This is a case where it should be in internal builds (which we know they do, I don't know where this info is on Steam but I know people here watch it closely) and disabled on the builds they plan (hope) to release to public alpha. Once the rest of the pieces are written in, then stop disabling it for public builds, and let thigns fly. :D

Archived