Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I had no idea that crops now worked like this! This is game changing info for me.

You`d better start reading changelogs. Not only you know whats new, but it helps you understand the game and improves your gameplay a lot. Welcome to the forums and .. yeah enjoy ;)

But food in early game is the only means to heal. I find myself running out of food if I get to bold in looting and needing to heal mid POI

Sometimes you have to pack it in and cut your losses while your still breathing. It was designed this way so there would be incentive to waste your food healing and then have a food shortage problem to deal with. Fortitude might be boring, but the healing perks are nice and you can get 140 health right out of the gate by finishing the starter quest. Either that or armor perks. The fact that we're having this conversation is good, this game is all about choices and consequences, and its good to see conversations about the minor things instead of "I died".

Liking the specialty update. Waiting til lvl 20 for a forge or iron tools was wack.

Depends on who you ask. Wasting points on INT early game when your carry capacity is crap and your melee damage is bad, hit points/stamina are only 100 is also wack. I mean all these people griping about running out of stamina could put 4 points into agility right away and had 140 to work with. Instead they go INT and then complain about food or stamina but don't buy any agility or food perks lol. MUST HAVE MY FORGE...

We're working on a way to have any one or two attributes very low and be able to succeed. INT is the harder one to solve since historically this is a crafting game, but we'll get there.

I'm barely here on the forums, yet I distinctly remember telling you to get out of those biomes until you have appropriate gear and supplies, and you refuse to follow that advice, and continue to post the same kind of posts. Until you change your actions your outcome will be the same.

I mean, I started the latest exp in the snow biome, and the cold wasn't even an issue for me. I made a starter there (since I prefer snow biomes) and knew I needed to get more clothing, so ventured to find a more stable one. Found a forest biome, made it a priority to loot dressers and such for cold-weather gear and a cooking pot. Found a coat and a sweatshirt, been living comfortably in the snow since. If I do get cold, I put a campfire down and equip a torch. No issues lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you need physician perk to make use of it to craft medi bandages?

I usually just use food/pain pills until I can make them. Can't you just eat aloe still for hp?

Interesting.

My own b221 results were:

I dug dirt and mined for almost 60 straight minutes and used 11+ charred meat (i.e. multiple large animals worth of raw meat), only eating when it would not pass 100% (close but not overeating); I say 11+ as at the end I was not at the 100% I started the test with. That worked out to one charred meat every 5.45 minutes.

The removed space was 5x5x7 (175m) of dirt and 3x3x4+1 (37) of stone.

Perks were: Miner 69'er, Pack Mule, Mother Lode, Healing Factor, Slow Metabolism (all level 1).

I was specifically testing the viability of a new base design and how much food/water it would take to get the materials and set up the area.

I have not yet attempted to replicate this test on b231 (work and all).

Hunger occurs from stamina regen, so its possible you were using more stamina from all the mining, especially if you were power attacking. For me I tried 1 perk of slow metabolism a few builds ago and I didn't have to eat for ages and ages, and all I do is run around and kill stuff with an axe or ride a bicycle which drains my stamina a lot. Anyhow we are testing some adjustments and another build will come when it feels better.

Latest Update (1.2GB) Starting a New Game ( RandomMap 8144*8144)

Walking on Day 1 through the Desert and Died in a Radiated Area.... but there was no Marker or Warning or anything else on the Map....

idk if this is a bug or new to the game or whatever

but it would be nice when u see a radiated area.. i run backwards and the player menu says to me 1H Radiated....

WOW :D

We're hoping to add a geiger counter sound so its more obvious and screen effects.

I mean, I started the latest exp in the snow biome, and the cold wasn't even an issue for me. I made a starter there (since I prefer snow biomes) and knew I needed to get more clothing, so ventured to find a more stable one. Found a forest biome, made it a priority to loot dressers and such for cold-weather gear and a cooking pot. Found a coat and a sweatshirt, been living comfortably in the snow since. If I do get cold, I put a campfire down and equip a torch. No issues lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I usually just use food/pain pills until I can make them. Can't you just eat aloe still for hp?

You probably can, I never bother with it I don't like the desert.

"I mean all these people griping about running out of stamina"

There is a disconnect between a dev that says this and the community - Many of us that have been playing since A8 and earlier have a good understanding of the game where to put points. MM, there is a reason ALL THESE PEOPLE are complaining about thirst/hunger/stam.

I have the first 5 in agility and still lose 20-25% of thirst and hunger about every 500 meters. Obviously this becomes less of a issue once we get vehicles, but there has been a MAJOR change to those stats since this most recent patch.

You probably can, I never bother with it I don't like the desert.

I stay close to the border and load up on aloe. You can apply aloe cream directly without any perks for some minor healing. But alternating some cream and regular bandages gets you back to health again--though more slowly and for a lot more work than those swanky medicated bandages.

Depends on who you ask. Wasting points on INT early game when your carry capacity is crap and your melee damage is bad, hit points/stamina are only 100 is also wack. I mean all these people griping about running out of stamina could put 4 points into agility right away and had 140 to work with. Instead they go INT and then complain about food or stamina but don't buy any agility or food perks lol. MUST HAVE MY FORGE...

We're working on a way to have any one or two attributes very low and be able to succeed. INT is the harder one to solve since historically this is a crafting game, but we'll get there.

I think brand new players will have less hangups with this than seasoned players. Seasoned players are just used to going for a forge first. New players are not going to have that habit and are simply going to ask themselves what aspect of primitive life they hate the most and then spend points to get rid of those things and feel the sense of accomplishment as they see those weaknesses become strengths.

My fun adventure today: getting ambushed by zombies...with enemies off. (I was just trying to reestablish my base from the last build, and didn't want to bother with fighting zed at the same time.)

Even more fun: When I turned enemies back on, my POI base refilled its sleeper volumes. Good times. (Yes, LCB and bedroll were down.)

I stay close to the border and load up on aloe. You can apply aloe cream directly without any perks for some minor healing. But alternating some cream and regular bandages gets you back to health again--though more slowly and for a lot more work than those swanky medicated bandages.

Speaking of......can we have back some sort of visual indication of the impending radiation zone at the edge of the map? I spawned in desert last night (which I thought odd as I was over 3km from my partner's spawn) and figuring I'd head north-ish only to discover I walked into radiation not 100m from my spawn location with no warning other than "you are in a deadly radiation zone" and my health plummeting. I was lucky and got out quick, but yeah, there was no indication that particular patch of desert would kill me.

I overreacted a bit saying I dislike the ability to get a forge on day one.

yes it's viable, but I don't think it's necessarily the best route to take. Just like others have mentioned and pointed out.

I guess I just like more of a challenge (why I liked Ravenhearst).

And seeing the ability to get a forge that early makes it too easy.

But as Gazz said I believe, maybe making Anvil harder to make (more ingredients, alot more iron etc) would better a nice solution to start.

I like the freedom but what Guppy said, tuning other aspects to make them more challenging would be in welcoming arms for me at least.

-one other note, I still believe higher quality items should do a little extra damage (1-3 that's it) besides just durability.

I must have just looked over it. I am new to forums. Thanks for the Welcome... Sounded sarcastic tho lul :crushed:

If it's any consolation I only recently learnt this after discovering the high cost for seeds and food crafting (and tested as working on B221). It's definitely a different approach and one I thoroughly appreciate (as the usual gardener person on our servers).

There are a number of changes that aren't immediately apparent without knowing and understanding xml/code or trial and error...my previous 'bug' query on antibiotics for example. Don't feel too bad it was overlooked as we all do it...just be more vigilant next time :)

I am going to make a guess here and say you don't travel a lot. You tend to clear out nearby POIs, or build. When I switched from a builder play style to more of a nomad where I do quests for traders, I started covering a lot more territory and went from 2 spare eggs and 30 feathers to 40 eggs and 500 feathers, and at least 50 meat in my chest by day 5.

I would agree with MM. I am more of a nomad till about level 10 and I have 1300 feathers, tons of meat, etc. all on day 13

"

There is a disconnect between a dev that says this and the community - Many of us that have been playing since A8 and earlier have a good understanding of the game where to put points. MM, there is a reason ALL THESE PEOPLE are complaining about thirst/hunger/stam.

"ALL THESE PEOPLE" does not mean a majority of players. There does seem to be a disconnect between some of the community on this forum and the devs. However, I think the disconnect comes from the fact the that people don't realize they are playing the dev's game. The devs are not making a game that the community is designing.

I rarely post on these forums and play with a big group of people who do not post either, but I can tell you we are all pretty happy about how A17 has been playing and the direction of the game. Of course there a few things that we might not agree with but we all read the description on the kickstarter page and knew where the devs wanted this game to go. /end rant

I was stoked to find a greenhouse POI (not sure if it's new this build or just haven't come across it), but then felt betrayed when I went to till the soil in the beds...who builds a greenhouse with plants growing out of beds that are made of wood and painted to look like dirt?

"ALL THESE PEOPLE" does not mean a majority of players. There does seem to be a disconnect between some of the community on this forum and the devs. However, I think the disconnect comes from the fact the that people don't realize they are playing the dev's game. The devs are not making a game that the community is designing.

I rarely post on these forums and play with a big group of people who do not post either, but I can tell you we are all pretty happy about how A17 has been playing and the direction of the game. Of course there a few things that we might not agree with but we all read the description on the kickstarter page and knew where the devs wanted this game to go. /end rant

^^^ All. Of. This.

I was stoked to find a greenhouse POI (not sure if it's new this build or just haven't come across it), but then felt betrayed when I went to till the soil in the beds...who builds a greenhouse with plants growing out of beds that are made of wood and painted to look like dirt?

Some people just want to watch the world burn....also, thanks for giving me an idea to troll my next lot of MP victims ;)

What about a mix of the Stat Perk System of the new and last experimental?

For example, if I really want to i could rush my INT up to the forge for some more points, but if i level to 20 or higher i need only 1 point per stat level to raise INT to get the forge perk.

Its more friendly to people @ small private servers or in singleplayer.

Archived