Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The game is not harder than before. On the other hand, the way to approach it is different and I think that some players have difficulty modifying their habits.

What I read through many posts is: "I refuse to adapt and I do not stop to die, what is the problem?".

Maybe the answer is in the question...

Even if it hurts your pride it may be time to start a game in "scavenger" mode with zombies walking day and night. This is how you will learn the new mechanics of the game and the new way to build your adventure.

I find the difficulty of POIs fabulous. We are no longer supposed to enter and loot like customers in a supermarket: there are easy POIs and some absolutely deadly. Get to know them (a clue ? the new POIs are not meant to be visited by characters without skills, at least until you know their vicious traps ...)

It is this difficulty that brings a new youth to the game and it's really a shame to beg TFP to reduce the difficulty only because some are unable to question themselves.

I died many times on this alpha and it had not happened to me for a long time. For me, this is what makes this version the best ever published.

If you want a clone of Minecraft, remove the zombies (the next patch will allow you to build your skills by breaking rocks and improving your constructions, a dream for some players, from what I understood). If you want a survival game, then learn how to survive. That's the point.

The game is not harder than before. On the other hand, the way to approach it is different and I think that some players have difficulty modifying their habits.

What I read through many posts is: "I refuse to adapt and I do not stop to die, what is the problem?".

Even if it hurts your pride it may be time to start a game in "scavenger" mode with zombies walking day and night. This is how you will learn the new mechanics of the game and the new way to build your adventure.

I find the difficulty of POIs fabulous. We are no longer supposed to enter and loot like customers in a supermarket: there are easy POIs and some absolutely deadly. Get to know them (a clue ? the new POIs are not meant to be visited by characters without skills, at least until you know their vicious traps ...)

It is this difficulty that brings a new youth to the game and it's really a shame to beg TFP to reduce the difficulty only because some are unable to question themselves.

I died many times on this alpha and it had not happened to me for a long time. For me, this is what makes this version the best ever published.

If you want a clone of Minecraft, remove the zombies (the next patch will allow you to build your skills by breaking rocks and improving your constructions, a dream for some players, from what I understood). If you want a survival game, then learn how to survive. That's the point.

Simple sollution

Rename the difficultys so that one lower is "Normal" and set it as default

Why giving many players a bad feeling ?

Never saw a player encumber that he plays on a harder difficulty as default

@Ouch Quit It

I can agree on the point that base-building is pointless now, could just as well remove the whole building stuff aspect alltogether if it stays like this. Takes like one minute for a base to get wrecked. Either keep the z's strong and make concrete viable again or weaken them considerably so you can at least shoot them before they tear down everything. The only way to build a sustainable base at this time is by using exploits and pathing issues. that can not be the end of it surely

Not knocking you at all, but base building is NOT impossible. I've built 3 different horde bases, one out of iron/cobble stone and one out of a POI camp which I built a single concrete wall around it. No AI-cheesing, just have to do it differently. Iron and wood spikes were all I needed, the first one was a 7x7 square with an open top, spikes on the wall and one deep on the ground, wall around that same way, wall around that same way with spikes and barbed wire all on the ground around. Small tunnel for in/out. SUrvived 2 horde nights easily. Did the same thing but a bit bigger on the second. Iron/wood bars inbetween the walls for walking on and shooting through. You just cant built a straight base with no traps on the outside. It's much harder, yes, but not impossible.

there are alot of good things, and some bad things this version, but this part I have to disagree with. it is billed as both building and survival. And that is the point of some... not all... of the complaints

Simple sollution

Rename the difficultys so that one lower is "Normal" and set it as default

Why giving many players a bad feeling ?

Never saw a player encumber that he plays on a harder difficulty as default

Maybe we can do that as a version of A17 stable that you have to opt in. "A17 Feelgood" ;)

+1 ! at this point, the game need just a polish and tweaks and bug corrections And a Badass Lore and Story, and deeper mechanics for quests.

Game options is the only

Way forward to please the different gamer types.

That way we only need to tweak and activate what we want and don't want and all there after will be happy. :)

Actually that is why this game support Mod, so different player can install different mod and be happy. You want tougher than this, make a mode increase your Zed count or something like that, you want easy, reduce and customize your setting. But if you play on default setting with default difficult and find it hard to play, then reduce it, or build a mod :).

Not knocking you at all, but base building is NOT impossible. I've built 3 different horde bases, one out of iron/cobble stone and one out of a POI camp which I built a single concrete wall around it. No AI-cheesing, just have to do it differently. Iron and wood spikes were all I needed, the first one was a 7x7 square with an open top, spikes on the wall and one deep on the ground, wall around that same way, wall around that same way with spikes and barbed wire all on the ground around. Small tunnel for in/out. SUrvived 2 horde nights easily. Did the same thing but a bit bigger on the second. Iron/wood bars inbetween the walls for walking on and shooting through. You just cant built a straight base with no traps on the outside. It's much harder, yes, but not impossible.

It should be slightly easier.

It felt to me after giving it 2 try that it was doable (Hordenight) but still way too hard.

Took an existing POI, spent 3 last days of the week fortifying it but they still broke through way before midnight and then they all came down the same hole, thus making everything else useless.

Zombie's intelligence is very good for the 28 days to die mod i'm building, But it's not lore friendly that i cannot keep a safe path from ground to upperlevels of my base without them avoiding 99% of my traps.

What i mean is that it's not impossible, but right now every base is gonna look quite alike.

It would be great if you could defend any kind of POI, at least at the first few hordes.

- - - Updated - - -

Approaching 2 weeks for an experimental build?

Guess experimental development time got scaled to the same time-scale as A17 overall.

You obviously should expect this experimental state to last longer then any other in the past.

Being a Server Owner ( The Secrets Servers, Grandpa's, Grandma's, Mama's, Daddy's, Zombie's ) I was thinking that I was gonna be more disappointed with the weapons. Getting FULL Weapons I thought would make things too easy instead of finding weapon parts and building the weapons you needed.

Well now instead of that being the thing that was going to Disappoint me the most it ends up being the MAP SIZE for our servers. Also how the map is laid out is very disappointing, Snow being north, Forest in the center and Desert South instead of random areas in RANDOM MAP Seed. Also on our map it is ONLY TWO Main Roads Not even A Cross Road. One Road leading North and South and a road in center of Map leading off main road that is North and South this one goes East from it. Not even a road heading West from that one.

Then Off of those roads are the towns. Players are complaining there is no loot cause the towns get looted too fast and we have loot generated at every 3 days. We know how to enlarge the map, ours is at 10,000 size. BUT... with this size you can only go from 0,0 out to 5,000 on the map.

In A16 we had a 20,000 map size meaning you can go from 0,0 to 20,000 anywhere on the map. This is only 1/4 of our original map size in A16.

Sure we tried making it 12,000 which we did do but still that is only o,0 to 6,000 on the map.

BUT, we had players tell us they cannot join it because they get a message saying they have run out of memory when the map is downloading.

Also after the map downloads it takes a VERY long time to actually get into the map after the 100% has been reached and they see our message welcoming them to the server that they have to click on to get into the game.

Why does it take sooo long to get from 100% to getting into the game? There SHOULD BE SOMETHING after the 100% of downloading the map showing that the game is still doing something so players do not think that their game is locked up and to be patient and please wait to get into the game.

We have a large amount of players that come on our servers. We need a way of making the map larger where players do not have to wait forever to get on the game like in A16.

We have players complaining on our 10,000 sized map that they are running into players base areas, not enough loot due to not enough towns to find, Not enough space to travel and explore, and so on....

Map exploration is a huge deal in Random Gen Maps. It makes things interesting, It makes things more fun,

Map size makes it so players do not have to build so close to other players, A 10,000 size map is TINY....

You are making even your map 1/2 the size it used to be. You had 10,000 set in your RWGMixer.xml file which would be from 0,0 to 10,000 on the map. But now with that same setting it is only 1/2 that.

Please, Please, Please do something to make enlarging the map better and less painful. Your Dedicated Server Owners are not gonna be happy and I feel in the long run you are going to end up having us leave because player count on servers will be a issue with this new set up.

I hope you take this into consideration, We have been server owners for your game now for 2 1/2 years and do want to continue to host our servers for your game.

Keeping players happy is one thing we strive for. Please help us in keeping the peace...

Thank You,

SeabeeMan.

As the owner of the longest, continuously running server (#2 ranked - Ground Zero - since March, 2014), I agree with this 100 percent! Our map is 12k and many players have difficulty logging in. Many newcomers assume they are locked up and may spend hours validating files, updating drivers and trying to troubleshoot their computers when all the while it's just the game taking forever to load. Also, the fact there are no cities in the true sense of the term and even at 12k, the map is entirely too small and loot is a real struggle. I really feel this is a step backward.

As the owner of the longest, continuously running server (#2 ranked - Ground Zero - since March, 2014), I agree with this 100 percent! Our map is 12k and many players have difficulty logging in. Many newcomers assume they are locked up and may spend hours validating files, updating drivers and trying to troubleshoot their computers when all the while it's just the game taking forever. Also, the fact there are no cities in the true sense of the term and even at 12k, the map is entirely too small and loot is a real struggle. I really feel this is a step backward.

Well, as the devs said. They are working on it as fast and best that they can. Guess easiest way for them to not have to deal with it is to just remove RWG all together until it is perfect. Yeah, not really. But this is experimental, trying to get a server that large up and running when the devs have already said that "it won't work right now" is just asinine. It'd be one thing if the devs were saying RWG has no problems and working perfectly while still having these issues, it's another when they say it's currently not possible... For now, I just wouldn't expect to see massive servers up and running.

anyone found a way to make a ramp for the truck ?

Best i found until now, and it works more bad as good

AE3721EC399FC34922ABFF4535BFA5A6E3D527D7

Yeah, I haven't figured it out myself. It's annoying that you destroy blocks upon hitting, and if you go slow enough to not cause damage, you go soooooo slow up the hill.

Purgatory Wolf, thank you! Still weird how my builds just vanished, but thanks for that intel! Now I can export them before they vanish lol.

You're welcome! You would think with a new feature like this, they would have explained it to us at least. There is also a way to manually export with the console commands, but there seems to be no way to manually import with console commands.

I don't know know why your map erased tho, that's bizzar. Make sure you report what you did on the Bug thread

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, they deliberately made their game slow because it is super important to make you suffer. That you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you, right? :cocksure:

There's no reason to be an arse about it. They have said many many times in the past that the game is only "optimized" for 8 people. And forcing us into smaller maps like this, is indeed a way to deter playing with 30.

- - - Updated - - -

Because real guns fired with suppressors (which is the proper name, not silencers) *still* make noise. Don't believe the Hollywood BS you see/hear in movies and TV, it is vastly different from reality.

LOL that always bugged me too! Silencers dont go "pew pew" ... they just make the BANG about half as loud. :) -- guns in movies are quieter in general than real life as well, for that matter.

A video for those who find the new POIs too hard to handle. I would never have allowed myself to do that with a beginner character. Not just because I'm a coward, but mostly because these POIs are for me THE reward after putting up my skills.

At first, you might think I'm a poor archer. But then, it's confirmed.

My goal is to make it clear that wanting to access the loot of these buildings from the beginning can often only lead you to great disappointments. Especially when you play badly.

Do not expect to hear my terrible accent, I preferred to write comments (all spelling mistakes are under copyright).

Difficulty Nomad, always run :

Archived