Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Can I ask, how big is TFP dev team? This is not a comment about the development time, or anything like that, I am only wondering. I am a games tech student, and indie dev teams always interest me. Is it small, around 5 people or a bit larger with 20ish? I know when development of 7 days started it was a small team, wondering if theyve expanded, or stayed the same?

Can I ask, how big is TFP dev team? This is not a comment about the development time, or anything like that, I am only wondering. I am a games tech student, and indie dev teams always interest me. Is it small, around 5 people or a bit larger with 20ish? I know when development of 7 days started it was a small team, wondering if theyve expanded, or stayed the same?

at the beginning they were 5 or 6 , now 25 if i remember correctly

Like Plants vs. Zombies - I think it would be cool if you could have an option to spawn as a zombie in MP. you get 1 life but you can get stronger by killing players/animals, etc. get your zombie to level X and have a Feral Option :)

That's actually a really cool idea.

That is going to be one of the first things I will try; to see if I am truly not safe anywhere.

First on the list is the biggest, tallest, building in the game.

I must say, I'm really happy about the digging zombies feature.

That is what I'm looking forward to the most.

I mean, it is 7 days to die. I don't want to feel safe at the 7th day of the week (Like RL).

I bet a lot of people are going to hate not being secure down at bedrock level :laugh:

Before I always used to avoid underground because I knew in a way it was cheating (and also boring for horde night) but now I am quite interested what designs to make underground to counter the zombies digging underground. I just hope they are powerful enough to dig. Because I had a base back in a15 on a high cliff and I remember them digging straight under the cliff because they couldn't get up the stiff cliff but it took them ages just to make a small cave there. I hope the digging speed is adjusted for zombies so that on horde night i don't have to wait 40 mins for them to reach my base digging slowly.

Like Plants vs. Zombies - I think it would be cool if you could have an option to spawn as a zombie in MP. you get 1 life but you can get stronger by killing players/animals, etc. get your zombie to level X and have a Feral Option :)

That's Dying Light. Great game, sounds like what you want.

That is going to be one of the first things I will try; to see if I am truly not safe anywhere.

First on the list is the biggest, tallest, building in the game.

I must say, I'm really happy about the digging zombies feature.

That is what I'm looking forward to the most.

I mean, it is 7 days to die. I don't want to feel safe at the 7th day of the week (Like RL).

I bet a lot of people are going to hate not being secure down at bedrock level :laugh:

Underground base at bedrock level, will always be safe. :peep:

I’ve already boarded and un boarded the hype train several times Mainly I want to see those weekly gains of seeing a17 come together. And improve. I think it would help the community calm down a bit to see weekly improvement videos. Hopefully Joel brushes up on his gaming a bit and thinks our a small plan for his video series.

I wouldn't say always :p I mean, who knows what the future might bring for 7D2D.

I have a feeling the devs don't like that people hide from the threats underground, and they're doing something about it. I can just imagine the thrill of thinking I'm safe dug down deep, only to hear them scream and punch their way into my underground base, talk about being cornered, hah.

Before I always used to avoid underground because I knew in a way it was cheating (and also boring for horde night) but now I am quite interested what designs to make underground to counter the zombies digging underground. I just hope they are powerful enough to dig. Because I had a base back in a15 on a high cliff and I remember them digging straight under the cliff because they couldn't get up the stiff cliff but it took them ages just to make a small cave there. I hope the digging speed is adjusted for zombies so that on horde night i don't have to wait 40 mins for them to reach my base digging slowly.

Same! :)

I never really understood digging down deep to avoid the zombies, where's the fun in that!? :laugh:

Agreed, they're supposed to be feral at night, I have no problem with them running like crazy with digging skills like a mad mole (no pun).

I'm super psyched about A17!! :D

Considering how many times we had to wipe our saves and start a new game, not so much.

I'd rather wipe and restart my save than not play it for 10 months because he games broken...

- - - Updated - - -

will a a17 fix the large buildings so when you cut out the first floor it actually falls down and not float?

Once you have a super computer that is capable of computing a collapse that large i don't see why not!

Even gps zeds have their limits ;) . In a16 that's 100 blocks distance. They cant track further than that. So yeah i guess if that is still the same in a17 and you find a place where distance between ground level and bedrock is more than 100 blocks + base size (height), you ll be safe.

Cheers

As Gnomaana pointed out, and since I was one of the parties commenting on the issue: there was absolutely no "outrage" there. It was just curious people wondering how things would be handled, and discussing with the information that we were given :/

It hurts a bit to see such harsh, uncalled for reactions to the discussion, including from prominent people. A feature was mentioned, then it was commented and its potential problems were discussed politely and in a proper tone. Is that seriously a bad thing?

Hey everyone, just wanted to calm everyone down about this. The quests will not reset occupied POIs (bedroll-ed/land claimed/player inside). I'll try to post some more info when the last few details are finalized.

People are more worried about their secondary bases, or homes that have already been ransacked/destroyed/modified, and how utterly weird it'll be.

- - - Updated - - -

And on the POI-reset feature:

You are inventing the problems you complain about...

Don't make me return a SECOND pitchfork to the store!

- - - Updated - - -

Single Player: Not an issue

PVE Co-op: Why are you playing with this person?

PVP: New objective...kill the squatter. Still fun?

If I have say, my forge house and my forges have all of my materials, etc, but NOT my bedroll, then I can see being a teensy bit upset when some rando who doesn't know anything about me goes and resets the entire building.

I'm not saying it's a problem for me (I find the notion hysterical, and like Jax, see more opportunities for modding than I do problems for playing), but I can definitely see the peoples point of view on this one.

- - - Updated - - -

I never take over a POI as a satellite base, personally.

I just carry wood and wood frames with me, slap down a quick 5x5 base which is enough for some chests and a campfire and use that if I -really- need to.

Otherwise, drop chests.

How close to the poi do you place this 5x5 or your drop chests? If they're too close, consider them potentially gone...

- - - Updated - - -

Load game, hit "Credits", profit in knowledge.

On the issue of secondary bases for "heat" generators, to me that is as much cheesing the mechanics as underground/stilt bases. You are completely avoiding the screamer hordes at your main base instead of the 7 day hordes.

I *personally* hope that TFP do nothing to protect secondary bases since they have put in the effort to eliminate protected main bases. Your forges should be no more safe than the main bases of the tunnelers and stilters.

Where did he claim to have a solution to anything? He is pointing out what may(or may not) be flaws in a system described by said TFP devs that do have "all the information." That's the way these forums have worked since I joined. Sometime the possible flaw never existed sometimes is did.

It's, for sure, not very productive to claim he is saying things he didn't say.

To be fair, early in the conversation and before we were told about the bedroll/land-claim system I had already proposed two solutions and agreed with a third shortly after we were told.

Only reset POI's that hadn't been visited within a certain time-frame.

Only reset POI's with a limited number of altered blocks.

Limit the number of active land-claim blocks allowed per player.

I'm still not sure where people are getting the idea that I'm outraged, I've been known to cause outrage but I'm far too chilled to actually get outraged.

I have three questions. First; The requests that are being made are they more for having these features locked into vanilla, or more for having the ability and option to include exclude features?

Second question; Are modded servers considered less prominent than vanilla servers?

If so then the Mods created by the forum users, are used more by which group?

Thought of another question, Im old thought come slow to me. What exactly makes a playthrough be considered Hard core, Is it volume of entities, Speed of days, low yield loot? I'm trying to see if there is some other parameters i can change to experience that also when i play.

Playing with your monitor turned off :-)

As Gnomaana pointed out, and since I was one of the parties commenting on the issue: there was absolutely no "outrage" there. It was just curious people wondering how things would be handled, and discussing with the information that we were given :/

It hurts a bit to see such harsh, uncalled for reactions to the discussion, including from prominent people. A feature was mentioned, then it was commented and its potential problems were discussed politely and in a proper tone. Is that seriously a bad thing?

Maybe some poeple deemed the available information just too scarce to draw any conclusions or really give sensible suggestions. Especially so shortly after lootgate where that led to hundreds of silly posts of "where are my bones?".

I assume The Gronk tried to coerce more information out of TFP, a noble cause, but with the nerves of other readers as unintended casualties. :wink:

Maybe some poeple deemed the available information just too scarce to draw any conclusions or really give sensible suggestions. Especially so shortly after lootgate where that led to hundreds of silly posts of "where are my bones?".

I assume The Gronk tried to coerce more information out of TFP, a noble cause, but with the nerves of other readers as fatalities. :wink:

I was just trying to avoid obvious flaws and exploits that would require a rewrite of the code and cause further delays to future releases while minimizing the amount of butthurt posts by people affected by such things.

Not much really.

Archived