1.0 (A22) Dev Diary Overflow

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

Heh, I'd love to see less meat in the game but we have a large number of people already complaining that the amount of meat you get from an animal is too little because they like realism.  I can only imagine how many posts we'd see about it if they reduced it.  Lol!

People are madly in love with their silver platter.
I call A21 the 'Corn' update, you could literally survive on grilled corn alone, its so dumb how much corn there is without any points in farming.

6 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Well part of that problem is the fact that how much meat is "one meat" is is pretty ambiguous.

The problem is people don't realise (new to the game) that animals used to give a 5th of the meat they do now, and meat recipes cost a 5th less.
This change was made to make two perks, 'Master Chef' and 'The Huntsman' work

5 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Oh that's unfortunate. 🫠

It is kind of similar to TellTale's version of 7 Days for the Console in that regard.  I'm curious to see what it is like, but also a bit concerned about the future.

Blood Moon might create a lot of things that they'll bring over to 7d2d.

It probably isn't as stupid as people are thinking if it actually helps one another out.  

I don't think it's Blood Moon is going to get far unfortunately. No one would put up with the @%$#ty gunplay if it doesn't lean on it's strengths.

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

That's not an engine.

What is a Gaming or Game Engine?

A gaming engine is a software development environment, also referred to as a “game architecture” or “game framework,” with settings and configurations that optimize and simplify the development of video games across a variety of programming languages. A gaming engine may include a 2D or 3D graphics rendering engine that’s compatible with different import formats, a physics engine that simulates real-world activities, artificial intelligence (AI) that automatically responds to the player’s actions, a sound engine that controls sound effects, an animation engine, and a host of other feature.

Sounds like it is a game engine to me.

Its unity probably. 

BTW I hope we get those sights shown in bloodmoons cuz the old billboards for stuff like pop and pills and working stiff are... pretty old like Alpha 8 old! 

But I hope we can get them or craft them. I really want to have a billboards on the side of my base.  As well as metal paneling 

Or I could cheat but. Weres the fun In that 

Edit: OH DUDE! i didn't even notice the pilon towers!!!!! Please add theses!!!! I want to break them and let them crumble or build a base into them

Screenshot_20240317_182736_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

14 hours ago, minisith said:

What is a Gaming or Game Engine?

A gaming engine is a software development environment, also referred to as a “game architecture” or “game framework,” with settings and configurations that optimize and simplify the development of video games across a variety of programming languages. A gaming engine may include a 2D or 3D graphics rendering engine that’s compatible with different import formats, a physics engine that simulates real-world activities, artificial intelligence (AI) that automatically responds to the player’s actions, a sound engine that controls sound effects, an animation engine, and a host of other feature.

Sounds like it is a game engine to me.

7DTD is a game. Unity is the engine.

No offense intended but I have to admit I always find it supremely baffling that anyone finds 7D to be a serious game. Scary? Sure, 7D can scare the pants off you! But serious? Are we even playing the same game? The game with BIGG BUNS and toilet corn and crazy Mad Max @%$# made by a bunch of guys who not only call themselves "The Fun Pimps" but actually do streams while wearing giant pimp hats? That serious game?

(this is perfectly fine with me, incidentally - I am not asking for TFP to change!)

8 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

No offense intended but I have to admit I always find it supremely baffling that anyone finds 7D to be a serious game. Scary? Sure, 7D can scare the pants off you! But serious? Are we even playing the same game? The game with BIGG BUNS and toilet corn and crazy Mad Max @%$# made by a bunch of guys who not only call themselves "The Fun Pimps" but actually do streams while wearing giant pimp hats? That serious game?

(this is perfectly fine with me, incidentally - I am not asking for TFP to change!)

I wouldn't call it serious, nor would I call it scary.  Yes, they have jokes in the game.  My issue is that the game is actually a good game and adding something cheesy as an enemy lowers the quality of the game, imo.  Especially with them updating all the graphics to give us realistic looking animals and other improved art. 

It is like adding Mario to the game as an enemy.  Could they do it (assuming they got permission)?  Sure.  Could they even do it in a way that was funny?  Sure.  Would it really be a good idea for this game?  I don't think so.

2 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Whatever happened to that zombie squirrel.... 

But.... zombie Chihuahua

Hell I want to see all animals as zombies 

Cougars jump really high. (Spiders should climb and jump)

Bears are tanks and base wreckers and heavy hitters

Boars are heavy melee attackers and range attackers (they puke and have bomb abilities)

Wolf/direwolf are summoner like a screamer but less-so

Rabbits and chickens are able to sneak through traps so no barbed wire or spikes and go through 1/1/2 blocks

Maybe in 7dtd 2 or bloodmoons

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Even having environmental animals that you can't interact with would add a lot to the game.  Birds flying around or hanging out in trees, for example.  I would be fine if they made it possible to kill all animals they add, but I would be fine with some that are just there to make the world look more alive.

I remember long ago I played on a server guppy had. Not sure if he made it but there was a zombie chicken mod.

I said it before and I will say it again... a horde of zombie chickens attacking me was both the most hilarious and terrifying thing I have seen in the game.

Oh and him shooting me because I was in bandit gear...yeah I can't let him live that down...

3 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I remember long ago I played on a server guppy had. Not sure if he made it but there was a zombie chicken mod.

I said it before and I will say it again... a horde of zombie chickens attacking me was both the most hilarious and terrifying thing I have seen in the game.

Oh and him shooting me because I was in bandit gear...yeah I can't let him live that down...

Take notes the fun Pimps! 

That sounds really funny. I'll see if I can find a video. 

21 hours ago, Old Crow said:

That's not an engine.

Laz Man confirmed that Blood Moons uses Unity in another thread.

I only asked because the geniuses on Reddit are losing their minds and think it's on Unreal 5, even though Illogika is a certified Unity dev team and I can't find one game they made that isn't made in Unity. 

Also, it's not unheard of to rebrand an engine with the name of a game or the name of the developer. Call of Duty does that. Their engine is the idTech (Quake) engine from the early 2000s but they call it the IW (Infinity Ward) engine because of how many changes they made to it.

Well technically, 7 Days to Die uses a modded version of Unity that the developers tailored so in that sense you could call 7 Days to Die the engine for Bloodmoons because Bloodmoons is not using Vanilla Unity.

So everyone can be right.

The big question is during the loading screen will it say "powered by Unity" and show the unity logo or will it say "powered by 7 Days to Die" and show a big bloody slashed 7?

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

It is like adding Mario to the game as an enemy.  Could they do it (assuming they got permission)?  Sure.  Could they even do it in a way that was funny?  Sure.  Would it really be a good idea for this game?  I don't think so.

They should do an AI-generated variant of Mario as a bandit and put him in and see if we can attract a bunch of Nintendo-philes to the forum informing us of Nintendo's imminent lawsuit. We could relabel the game as "Mario with guns"... 

8 hours ago, Riamus said:

Even having environmental animals that you can't interact with would add a lot to the game.  Birds flying around or hanging out in trees, for example.  I would be fine if they made it possible to kill all animals they add, but I would be fine with some that are just there to make the world look more alive.

Yeah, this i agree with really hard. If there are living bears, wolves/dogs, rabbits, deer, etc. no reason not to have some environmental birds or other critters and the "only one animal of each size and weight class" is realllllly showing after all this time. It's an extremely strong reminder that it's an artificial game world.

On 3/7/2024 at 5:32 PM, khzmusik said:

TFP said in the last dev diary that they do not plan to add any more friendly NPCs into the game. The "NPC assistant" is the drone. Human assistants proved too problematic to do in a way that was high quality and would be ready before gold.

However, there are mods that add friendly NPCs to the game (look in the Mods section). I can't speak for anyone else, but I plan to keep going with them, including after the game goes gold.

Been following and playing this game since the beginning, but never commented until now.  One of the reached goals in the kickstarter was NPC controlled safe houses.  So are they not fulfilling that promise?  Just curious.  

1 hour ago, phip said:

Been following and playing this game since the beginning, but never commented until now.  One of the reached goals in the kickstarter was NPC controlled safe houses.  So are they not fulfilling that promise?  Just curious.  

Are the trader compounds NPC controlled safe houses?  To me, they seem to be.

Pretty much any large game has its own engine on top of whatever game engine is being used. In the case of 7dtd you have entities, voxels, occlusion, AI, audio, dynamic music, networking, mod support, file/object/data management and many other things that are engine systems on top of Unity and could be used in other games. Blood Moons uses much of that, so it is 7dtd at its core.