1.0 (A22) Dev Diary Overflow

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

I mean lasers are possible.  We uses them for anti air weapons.  But I don't think a single car battery would work. 

Could work for a man-portable homemade coilgun though.

11 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I mean lasers are possible.  We uses them for anti air weapons.  But I don't think a single car battery would work. 

Rumors of micro-cold-nuclear sources exist, pop-bottle size. Hush-hush, don't @%$# off the energy slave-masters.

Since this is almost 20 years in the future...

Edited by Laran Mithras (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

To be honest - If there is secret labs then it's pretty possible to find something more effective that car bettery

1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

New armor??

Screenshot_20240327_091057_Chrome.jpg

I (think) it's called the assasin set? I had a picture of someone finding a low tier hood in loot that looks simillar to that, but I'm not 100% sure.

11 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Screenshot is from Bloodmoons so not necessarily going to be in regular 7 Days, it looks a bit different to what we previously saw of the "assassin" set

Ah, sorry. That makes sense. For some reason I thought it was the assassin set.

Edited by User (see edit history)

1 hour ago, User said:

I (think) it's called the assasin set? I had a picture of someone finding a low tier hood in loot that looks simillar to that, but I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe we have both wasteland assassin and normal assassin 

I hope we get it

2 hours ago, User said:

Looks like furniture items such as cabinets and appliances still become un-interactable after looting, so still a bit of an annoyance for house refurbishers, but I think I saw some cabinets staying interactable after looting?

As long as you don't loot everything out of a cabinet it stays open. Which means you could just put a single feather into the lower right corner and as long as you don't touch it you have a storage cabinet

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, meganoth said:

As long as you don't loot everything out of a cabinet it stays open. Which means you could just put a single feather into the lower right corner and as long as you don't touch it you have a storage cabinet

True, but in many cases you do loot everything. Ideally you wouldn't have to do that (put something back in). And it would instead remain a container after being looted. There's also no way to reverse it once you loot all. But yeah, that is a way to avoid it. It's just a little bit janky in the current implementation imo. Don't mean to be rude or anything.

45 minutes ago, User said:

True, but in many cases you do loot everything. Ideally you wouldn't have to do that (put something back in). And it would instead remain a container after being looted. There's also no way to reverse it once you loot all. But yeah, that is a way to avoid it. It's just a little bit janky in the current implementation imo. Don't mean to be rude or anything.

I like the new method as I can quickly tell if I looted some of the containers.  If you don’t want it that way, it is easy to modify it to stay as containers

1 hour ago, User said:

It's just that TFP changed cabinets to be this way an alpha ago and there have not been mountains of complaints so I don't think this will change. Cabinets turn up in the hundreds while looting and this behaviour has clear advantages.  

The only concession to home stylists that I could see TFP doing would be to add a cabinet-skin to the craftable container. And even if they want to do that it could take a while. So in the meantime you have to either use mods or trick the game.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, meganoth said:

It's just that TFP changed cabinets to be this way an alpha ago and there have not been mountains of complaints so I don't think this will change. Cabinets turn up in the hundreds while looting and this behaviour has clear advantages.  

The only concession to home stylists that I could see TFP doing would be to add a cabinet-skin to the craftable container. And even if they want to do that it could take a while. So in the meantime you have to either use mods or trick the game.

Yeah, true. it's not the end of the world, just a qol thing. I don't see them changing it, but it would definitely be nice if we could have some kind of middle ground, or setting. Its cool to see them open after looting, and is convenient for people quickly wanting to ascertain whats looted and what is not. I just get a bit of ocd whenever I loot a kitchen and the ovens, cabinets, etc are stuck open, and I can no longer use them, unless I remember to use the little trick. There's probably some middle ground, but yeah like you said not many people seem to care that much. But if there's some way to make it even better down the line, why not, right?

On the topic of qol though, what would be really nice would be able to have multiple crafting trackers at once, with a trader quest active simulatenously. Runner up goes to an option to disable the poi difficulty indicator. Those are what I'm hoping for in terms of qol.

Will the problem of transport accessibility on the A22 be solved?
All my observations of the A21 led to the fact that I got a motorcycle for about 35-40 days of life (60 minutes/day).
Perhaps it was a balance for survival in a cooperative, but it disrupted survival alone.
In more than 200 hours on the A21 highway, I have cycled for more than 70 hours.
If trader Bob does not appear nearby and the player purposefully does not search for magazines (never did this on purpose) I only get 4x4 for 50-60 days.
According to my observations, quite a lot of players give up on survival, as soon as they get all the best weapons and armor, they reach the maximum of concrete. By this time, they have a motorcycle at best.

The situation with solar panels is repeated. Soon 4x4 will turn into such a rarity.

As far as I remember, it used to be something like this: in the first stages, the player has access to wooden and stone buildings, appropriate weapons, tools and armor, literally after the first horde we got the opportunity to craft a mini-bike, to the third or fourth horde - a mini-motorcycle. a motorcycle and much more. concrete, up to the sixth or seventh horde is 4x4, and the base is made of steel.
Progress has been steady, now I can have a concrete base, but at the same time I'm going to complete a level 6 task on a bike or, at most, on a moped.

I understand that the balance adjustment happens in each alpha version, and it is not final yet, but I thought this problem would be solved a couple of months after the release of A21, but it is still not solved.

Am I the only one having problems with transport accessibility? 
And yes, I am aware of int skills that increase the number of transport logs, but I am not obligated to put points into the int branch in every survival

47 minutes ago, Roland said:

There are a number of considerations that went into the character outfit change and not the least of these is having outfits that look fantastic when worn. Too many pieces and it all loses its cohesiveness. Boots and gloves and hats can be switched and mixed without looking too bad but a different pant on a clashing chest just makes it look bad—- like now. There is no more layering of clothing under armor pieces making everyone look puffy like the little brother on the Christmas Story. 

Balance is also a factor. 16 collective mod slots is probably still a bit OP plus each piece has a built in bonus so 5 pieces instead of 4 would just be too much power. 

People fear that everyone will look the same but for those who only ever equip the very very best, people already look the same in A21 even with all the variety. Do you stay in a skirt for the sake of variety or do you switch to BDU pants as soon as you find them?  Do you cover it all with a poncho as soon as you can craft one? So does everyone. 

Finally, this is all tied to bandits and NPCs who will be wearing the same outfits so simpler is better than more complex in balancing out these outfits. 

So If I understand the bandits are implemented in a correct modular way and not 1 model = 1 bandit like the zombies, right?

Edited by Cr0wst0rm (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 7:47 AM, faatal said:

That has yet to be determined.

Yes, the performance is really bad, even on minimum settings, so it has to be the game code at fault (whether it is physics/pathing) but definitely not rendering performance, I highly doubt that, considering i have lowest rendering settings and RTX with 16 gigs

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Yes, the performance is really bad, even on minimum settings, so it has to be the game code at fault (whether it is physics/pathing) but definitely not rendering performance, I highly doubt that, considering i have lowest rendering settings and RTX with 16 gigs

Do note that the game does not care about your RTX with 16GB VRAM. It relies on the capability of your CPU.

If you want to get assistance with your issue, start a thread in the correct location after following the instructions.  This is not a discussion topic for the dev diary.

On 4/8/2024 at 3:47 PM, SylenThunder said:

Do note that the game does not care about your RTX with 16GB VRAM. It relies on the capability of your CPU.

If you want to get assistance with your issue, start a thread in the correct location after following the instructions.  This is not a discussion topic for the dev diary.

This is not a question, this is a statement. I have substantial proof from the researched game source that there are infact places which make absolutely no sense (for example drowning buff checks on zombies in the game update loop etc)

Now with the respect to the devs, there were already attempts to optimize the performance (TickEntitiesSlice), however, this approach will eventually fail (because you still have to eventually process all the entities on the game thread)
You could also try to even lower the workload so you would slice limited number of entities (5 entities frame 1, 5 other frame 2)
This will, however, worsen the visual output. Relying on gamethread only is just not feasible. And this is why threading should be used.
Buying a new CPU just because it has 2 more GHz just so it catches up to the terribly optimized gamethread is just not a solution, but an excuse.

There are also places which are not dependant on the game framerate (for example camera movement is framerate dependant, management of environmental events such as AI perception is NOT)

So what I would like to conclude is that the developers/moderators should NOT tell their players to "buzz off and buy better hardware" when you can very easily utilize the already used hardware which supports multithreading.

Edited by Cr0wst0rm (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

This is not a question, this is a statement. I have substantial proof from the researched game source that there are infact places which make absolutely no sense (for example drowning buff checks on zombies in the game update loop etc)

Now with the respect to the devs, there were already attempts to optimize the performance (TickEntitiesSlice), however, this approach will eventually fail (because you still have to eventually process all the entities on the game thread)
You could also try to even lower the workload so you would slice limited number of entities (5 entities frame 1, 5 other frame 2)
This will, however, worsen the visual output. Relying on gamethread only is just not feasible. And this is why threading should be used.
Buying a new CPU just because it has 2 more GHz just so it catches up to the terribly optimized gamethread is just not a solution, but an excuse.

There are also places which are not dependant on the game framerate (for example camera movement is framerate dependant, management of environmental events such as AI perception is NOT)

So what I would like to conclude is that the developers/moderators should NOT tell their players to "buzz off and buy better hardware" when you can very easily utilize the already used hardware which supports multithreading.

The game deva have repeatedly said that optimization happens before going gold.

There is near zero reason to do a full optimization now, when systems and other features will change. Any changes they make would require a full optimization run again.

Basically, doing a full optimization early doesn't save them any work/labor/time in the process of making the game.

14 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Take your "proof" and submit a proper bug report. 

It doesn't make my statement any less true, or wrong. You would not believe the number of people I have assisted who thought just throwing a better GPU at the problem would solve it. Sure that will work for other games, but not this one. I will also note that I have chided the developers a number of times for the overly vague hardware requirements. I even recently submitted a suggestion with details.

And by the way, if you studied your proof, you would realize that the game already makes use of multithreading. However the core process is still tied to a single CPU, and child tasks are able to be sent to other threads. Unlike most other games that do not utilize multithreading at all. The engine needs to support further separation of the main process to multiple threads for the team to be able to utilize a tactic like that further.

Again, this is not a discussion for this thread. Bring it up in the proper channels, and stop talking about it here. If your performance is really that bad on something better than a GTX 1060 6GB card, then you have other issues preventing the game from performing well. I have actual proof of this, and it has been presented already.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Take your "proof" and submit a proper bug report. 

It doesn't make my statement any less true, or wrong. You would not believe the number of people I have assisted who thought just throwing a better GPU at the problem would solve it. Sure that will work for other games, but not this one. I will also note that I have chided the developers a number of times for the overly vague hardware requirements. I even recently submitted a suggestion with details.

And by the way, if you studied your proof, you would realize that the game already makes use of multithreading. However the core process is still tied to a single CPU, and child tasks are able to be sent to other threads. Unlike most other games that do not utilize multithreading at all. The engine needs to support further separation of the main process to multiple threads for the team to be able to utilize a tactic like that further.

Again, this is not a discussion for this thread. Bring it up in the proper channels, and stop talking about it here. If your performance is really that bad on something better than a GTX 1060 6GB card, then you have other issues preventing the game from performing well. I have actual proof of this, and it has been presented already.

I don't remember claiming this issue is bound to the gpu, but point taken. I think it is fair to post it here since it is related to the development of the game, and I prefer stronger exposure. If you wish to delete my posts, feel free to do so. Right now all I can do is sit and watch, I am curious how the situation is going to unfold... I can post some info in proper channels in case it will not break the EULA and put me under a lawsuit.

And yes, i know there are places where multithreading cannot be used, but still there are places where it can. But I guess with such statements we could go circles in and out, so I digress.

If I recall, faatal mentioned many things are on the main thread because of unity.  I know some users have posted suggestions in the past and he explained why it wasn't so easy.  

As far as optimizations are concerned, they are happening all the time.  There would of been no way the game would work on the consoles without them.

More optimizations will keep continuing to happen.

2 hours ago, spud42 said:

so far the "optimizations" seem to be simplifying the game to shoehorn it into a console. Sure some of these wil benifit the PC game but  a lot of the richness and complexity has been whittled away to cram it into a console. 

In my opinion the real problem is that some supported features are geared towards low-end, 10 years old computers, and are impacting everyone.

Example: why don't they allow a greater number of concurrent zombies in the game, as an option? No, they limit it to 64 whatever system you have.

Same goes for view distance and map size.

Those limitations should be removed, and left to the individual player to try on their system.

As for the "legal reasons", they could just add a short disclaimer about that. Done. Everybody happy.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)