1.0 (A22) Dev Diary Overflow

The Alpha 22 Developer Diary is for discussing features and content coming in Alpha 22. Discussion in that thread should be limited to A) items mentioned in the top post; or B) topics a developer may bring up in the diary.

If your post gets moved here, it wasn’t one of those two things. It may have been thoughtful or funny or of great interest, but it was off topic for the dev diary. This is not a punishment. We do this because when we haven't, the dev diary balloons to a size where it's too unwieldy/watered down, both for the devs and for the readers that want to keep up with the thread as an actual diary of development.

This overflow is still a discussion thread, so feel free to continue discussions you see here. Again, the reason it exists is to keep the other thread focused.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

That's my main issue I just need more! For Grenades and bomb arrows

I mean sense we have a set of desert gear I'm sure some armors will have some strengths or weaknesses 

I'm just sick of being punished for leaving my water farm alone for longer than 24h.

Those barrels should hold more than three jars, FFS!

On 2/16/2024 at 2:19 AM, Crater Creator said:

Known to be coming for Gold, but not ready for Alpha 22

• Bandits
  • Weather improvements
  • Improved biome progression (source)
  • Story & factions
  • Steam Workshop support

A small team will continue to support and update 7 Days to Die after Gold.

Where's the promised VR support?

10 hours ago, MichaelL. said:

In a similar vein, how hard would it be to create a new trigger class that only unlocks doors/hatches - not actually open/close them?

I did this in my mod. When a trigger is triggered, the door "unlocks" into a new block that isn't secure. Using the lockpicking mechanic.

Spoiler

<block name="DoubleMansionDoorBrown">
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
    <property name="Extends" value="DoubleMansionDoorWhite"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="exteriorHouseDoorDoubleWhite"/>
    <property name="CustomIconTint" value="765024"/>
    <property name="TintColor" value="765024"/>
    <property name="SortOrder2" value="0101"/>
</block>

<block name="DoubleMansionLockedDoorBrown">
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
    <property name="Extends" value="DoubleMansionDoorBrown"/>
    <property name="Class" value="SecureLoot"/>
    <property name="LootList" value="doorNest"/>
    <property name="DowngradeBlock" value="DoubleMansionDoorBrown"/>
        <property name="LockPickItem" value="VoidLockpick"/>
        <property name="LockPickTime" value="0.1"/>
</block>

2 hours ago, Irushian said:

There will be some goals that won't be done until after gold. In the original kickstarter they listed some features that would be added after 1.0 release. They have since shuffled which features will be part of 1.0 and which will be after 1.0 due to the realities of development. VR support is not on the list for pre-gold.

2 hours ago, Irushian said:

Rooting for this such as you. But would be better for the devs to mend the game properly around or after gold to implement it.

And I hope they don`t make us move our hand with the controller as in real life when mining. 

4 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Rooting for this such as you. But would be better for the devs to mend the game properly around or after gold to implement it.

And I hope they don`t make us move our hand with the controller as in real life when mining. 

How else am I supposed to achieve my move points for the day and close my ring?

34 minutes ago, Roland said:

There will be some goals that won't be done until after gold. In the original kickstarter they listed some features that would be added after 1.0 release. They have since shuffled which features will be part of 1.0 and which will be after 1.0 due to the realities of development. VR support is not on the list for pre-gold.

What other features they plan for 1.0

47 minutes ago, Roland said:

How else am I supposed to achieve my move points for the day and close my ring?

Imagine if the UI shows us a notification to switch hands, minding how tired that hand feels. And a screamer invites its friends to help along. That`s gonna be a party, isn`t gonna be :D 

24 minutes ago, zztong said:

Perhaps a swimming bonus is the set bonus for not wearing any clothes. :)

Actually, maybe a "swimming debuff" if wearing armor/clothes. You jump in with heavy armor... down you go. In this way "normal naked swimming" can be made faster/use stamina, but all clothing/armor weighs you down making it harder to swim "up" :). Maybe even "no swim animation" if the armor/clothes is too heavy, so you never leave the ground and can walk around underwater (while holding breath). This would make a "scuba" apparatus/mod look correct: wear it without heavy armor: swim, else "walk" on bottom.

and if boats are added, you wear armor and fall off in the middle of the ocean. down you go.

this is why a sea creature (other than zeds swimming) needs to exist: to punish if swim slow or walk under water. My vote is "zombie turtle or alligator" but since snakes are in the game it would probably be just a snake. Of course, the shark will always be welcome (something has to tip the boat over.... if there was a boat)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

Actually, maybe a "swimming debuff" if wearing armor/clothes. You jump in with heavy armor... down you go. In this way "normal naked swimming" can be made faster/use stamina, but all clothing/armor weighs you down making it harder to swim "up" :). Maybe even "no swim animation" if the armor/clothes is too heavy, so you never leave the ground and can walk around underwater (while holding breath). This would make a "scuba" apparatus/mod look correct: wear it without heavy armor: swim, else "walk" on bottom.

and if boats are added, you wear armor and fall off in the middle of the ocean. down you go.

this is why a sea creature (other than zeds swimming) needs to exist: to punish if swim slow or walk under water. My vote is "zombie turtle or alligator" but since snakes are in the game it would probably be just a snake. Of course, the shark will always be welcome (something has to tip the boat over.... if there was a boat)

Does anyone swim enough for that to matter?

are there ever lakes large enough that you need a boat?

If you have a boat will it still be fun/cool to use it for the 30th trip?

I say finish up one 7D2D, double down on whatever unannounced games and get an early access going for a game with a modern engine that can generate worlds large enough to need a boat or need players to swim large distances to cross rivers. Then we can talk about swim animations and modes of travel for water.

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

If you have a boat will it still be fun/cool to use it for the 30th trip?

Without water transport, the answer is no.  It is just too slow and no good reason to do so.  This is also why RWG doesn't make very large bodies of water other than on the edge of the map.  But if they add some form of water transport (a raft had been worked on), then there would likely be a change to RWG to get larger bodies of water as the water wouldn't just be a nuisance anymore.  They would likely look into adding water enemies as well as that has been mentioned if water transportation was added.

There are masks that have flooded cities and people seem to enjoy those.  Though due to the slow movement in water, the water is usually shallow enough not to show you down.  So not as great as having it 5-10m deep.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I doubt it. RWG doesn't really make usable water ways. If we could turn off the radiation zone you could maybe have a map that was an island. Teragon, on the other hand, can make navigable rivers.

I have had maps in the past with significant lakes and sometimes an island, but I'll bet that was from an A19 third-party map maker, Nitrogen. I could get big lakes when I was messing with Stamps in A20 RWG, but that feature isn't currently active in A21 (as far as I can tell).

Still, I wouldn't say swimming and boats are an important feature. If swimming buffs/debufs were easy/trivial, then go for it, otherwise I think you're right. I can't imagine a boat, but maybe crude a raft or canoe. I recall living on a raft in The Forest -- neat but not essential to 7d2d.

5 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

When you and other players live on the edge of a map near the water and Air Drops fall in the water, then yes we do swim a lot.

This is good example because it reminds me of legendary weapons.

Are we gonna have more different stats on weapons/tools/armor in the future, ones that will really make them rare and make us take care of them ? 

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

theses animating are really cool/good 

much better then what we have now. I hope we get this for zombies, humans, first person combat

This alone has me hyped! Imagine what they could do with this! 

Like zombie climbing or clamber animations, give that spider zombie his climb again or even

Feral zombies lunging at you in the darkness. 

Player animations swinging there melee weapon more times or combos

More responses to attacking body parts.  Too go with the new gore system. 

So much cool stuff. Please keep showing more

20 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

This alone has me hyped! Imagine what they could do with this! 

Like zombie climbing or clamber animations, give that spider zombie his climb again or even

Feral zombies lunging at you in the darkness. 

Player animations swinging there melee weapon more times or combos

More responses to attacking body parts.  Too go with the new gore system. 

So much cool stuff. Please keep showing more

Ok - zombie ki....ssing each others animation 😜

with seeing the new animations for the mountain lion, hopefully theres also some new animation for zombies crawling in the works the current one is quite janky and glitchy (zombies falling into the floor crawling and getting stuck or they do these ninja ducks within a blink of the eye and get a free hit off on you)