1.0 (A22) Dev Diary Overflow

7 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Parkour  my boy

You can have ZERO parkour, or two points in parkour, doesn't matter, you WILL hop from time to time when running away from or kiting nightmare speed zombies. I stream the game 3-4 times a week and it happens EVERY stream! And hopping costs a FULL 20 stamina!
You want to jump over that 1 metre fence? Well too bad! You die now!

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

On 2/23/2024 at 9:56 AM, Annihilatorza said:

There is no way it will go gold this year if we don't even have:

Stability  SP/MP (tired of having my char reset to level 1 for no reason)

This.  I stopped my A21 playthrough when the game updated and this happened before even the first bloodmoon.

Copying the entire game save directory as a backup before every play session should not be necessary.  And what is even the point of the .bak file if it doesn't function as a backup?

23 minutes ago, DanLW said:

And what is even the point of the .bak file if it doesn't function as a backup?

It works just fine as a backup if you do the restore before trying to load the data broken by improperly shutting down the client.

When you try to load the data, you are making a new backup, and over-writing the one that was useful.

Knowlege of how the system works helps you a lot. This is covered in the Support FAQ thread.

14 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

It works just fine as a backup if you do the restore before trying to load the data broken by improperly shutting down the client.

When you try to load the data, you are making a new backup, and over-writing the one that was useful.

Knowlege of how the system works helps you a lot. This is covered in the Support FAQ thread.

You mean this post: 

Which states that items and everything built is still gone?  Not a fix.

And when it happened to me the client did not crash.  The game updated and I logged into my SP game with nothing.

Or perhaps you are referring to the post further down where you copy the existing folder and generate a new world with the same settings.  This also has mixed results.

And how is one supposed to know their save is corrupted before loading the game only to discover the corrupted save which just overwrote the one good backup?  There should be more than one.

Or the save files should be more robust.  Or the game should detect the bad save and automatically restore in the background.

2 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Although true, it would certainly work better for people if there was a second backup so when you lost into the game and see it is corrupted, you still have a good backup to use to fix it.  You don't always know that something happened to corrupt the save until you load into the game and then it is too late.  Or just some way to verify the save before loading it to at least catch most common errors and then halt loading it use the backup automatically.

The other thing is that the game shouldn't immediately overwrite the backup.  Give 5 minutes or something before making any changes to the backup so you have time to exit and use the backup.  This would also solve a lot of the problems.

Either way, it is very rare for me to ever crash or have corrupt data, so it doesn't really affect me much.  And I can easily recover from a corrupt profile and losing a save isn't the end of the world for me.  Just pointing out there are better ways to handle backups.

That said, I'm pretty sure I remember them saying they were working on improving how backups worked.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 2/27/2024 at 4:23 AM, FranticDan said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of having someone yelling in my ear because it's night time.

sorry, had to laugh at this one 

got kids?

i do and agree 100%. luckily i survived and the youngest is bringing me kfc in about 30 minutes 🙂

On 2/26/2024 at 8:19 PM, FranticDan said:

Your ambience volume is set to low? That would be why. Change your ambience volume to match the sound volume (100%?), and prepare your ears to bleed!

I have my overall volume set to 60% and ambience set to 100%. 

But my headphones are pretty forgiving. I don't need to turn things up much to hear things clearly. 

So I've never really noticed those sounds as being an issue.

But the sounds I do think need changing is some of the gunfire. Shotgun blasts are loud and harsh, at least the Autoshotty. An SMG w/o a silencer sounds horrible. Way too loud and grating. I think a rework of the gunfire sounds is needed. 

On 2/26/2024 at 5:23 PM, FranticDan said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of having someone yelling in my ear because it's night time.
I'm happy if we get more, and sad that some have been removed over the years, but there's a lot night stingers that are so loud it ruins the experience and immersion, for me at least. They don't make the game scary, it makes me annoyed.
TFP removed the scary ones many alphas ago

0:17 - Too loud, immersion breaking. Please remove it.
0:33 - Too loud, immersion breaking. Please remove it.
0:51 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:03 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:16 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:29 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:49 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:01 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:20 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:30 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:45 - loud, could be lowered 50%
3:00 - loud, could be lowered 50%
3:11 - I think it repeats from here

YES PLEASE!
What we actually could use is a sepparate volume control for these artificial weird "sinister atmosphere" samples. Ambient sounds increase immersion, those "sinister atmosphere" samples take it away.
I would prefer dithching them all and improving on ambient sounds of the actual environment (the sounds that make senses to be there).

Edited by toores (see edit history)

2 hours ago, toores said:

YES PLEASE!
What we actually could use is a sepparate volume control for these artificial weird "sinister atmosphere" samples. Ambient sounds increase immersion, those "sinister atmosphere" samples take it away.
I would prefer dithching them all and improving on ambient sounds of the actual environment (the sounds that make senses to be there).

They have a high resolution in sound, Sound Overload, weapons, this causes game crashes. Nose, in its new 2022 engine it is solved... there is more...

5 hours ago, Arez said:

I have my overall volume set to 60% and ambience set to 100%. 

But my headphones are pretty forgiving. I don't need to turn things up much to hear things clearly. 

So I've never really noticed those sounds as being an issue.

But the sounds I do think need changing is some of the gunfire. Shotgun blasts are loud and harsh, at least the Autoshotty. An SMG w/o a silencer sounds horrible. Way too loud and grating. I think a rework of the gunfire sounds is needed. 

The two sounds that I find super loud are the auger and electricity shock buff, but they are nowhere near as annoying as the night time "one-shots" playing throughout the night, so loud you can't hear footsteps of zombies approaching from behind.
The last two days I've been playing with a mod that removes them and it's so nice to crank the ambience to 100% and hear the campfire, rain and thunder being loud and gets me immersed with the environment.

@Jost Amman @Adam the Waster
This is what I mean by hopping, I have ZERO points in parkour (Not that is means anything, but it was brought up in the reasoning why, parkour causing hopping would be a dumb mechanic)

Notice that my character makes the 'jumping' sound, and I lose 20 stamina for hopping. It cost me getting hit from a dire wolf due to running out of stamina.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExcitedHardPotatoMcaT--UJFxyKVP8JGwY8G

1 hour ago, FranticDan said:

This is what I mean by hopping, I have ZERO points in parkour (Not that is means anything, but it was brought up in the reasoning why, parkour causing hopping would be a dumb mechanic)

Notice that my character makes the 'jumping' sound, and I lose 20 stamina for hopping. It cost me getting hit from a dire wolf due to running out of stamina.

Thanks for the clip.

I don't know what to say... I still don't know what you mean: do you press the [SPACEBAR] button and you can't actually jump the fence?

Because if that's the case my guess is that it's annoying fur sure, but it could depend on some wrong timing on your part when you get near the fence.

I've seen this happen without obstacles honestly, but I can't tell if it's a "feature" or a bug.

In any case, if they can improve jumping in A22 I'm all for it.

But all I'm saying is I don't think that technically this is a bug.

As for the Parkour comment, maybe I wasn't clear and you misunderstood. Basically I was saying that there are people who are fully skilled into Parkour (3m jumps) that are also able to jump at normal height by simply tapping the SPACEBAR key. That's why I asked if that was the case with your example, I thought you were just tapping the SPACEBAR instead of pressing it. (but I understand that's probably not the case).

26 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I don't know what to say... I still don't know what you mean: do you press the [SPACEBAR] button and you can't actually jump the fence?

Because if that's the case my guess is that it's annoying fur sure, but it could depend on some wrong timing on your part when you get near the fence.

I've seen this happen without obstacles honestly, but I can't tell if it's a "feature" or a bug.

In any case, if they can improve jumping in A22 I'm all for it.

But all I'm saying is I don't think that technically this is a bug.

As for the Parkour comment, maybe I wasn't clear and you misunderstood. Basically I was saying that there are people who are fully skilled into Parkour (3m jumps) that are also able to jump at normal height by simply tapping the SPACEBAR key. That's why I asked if that was the case with your example, I thought you were just tapping the SPACEBAR instead of pressing it. (but I understand that's probably not the case).

I am hard pressing the space bar, I don't think it is even possible to tap the space bar for a micro second to cause the character to hop like in my clip.
I have no idea what causes it, but yeah, very annoying and has resulted in countless deaths, I play permadeath as well.

from the above clip i know very well myself that when you are reloading you cannot jump properly, that is the cause of whats happening there, putting points into run n gun will alleviate that from happening.

edit: i though this would be more well known but i guess not? im used to it so i never jump while reloading as it will not help you.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Callum123456789 said:

from the above clip i know very well myself that when you are reloading you cannot jump properly, that is the cause of whats happening there, putting points into run n gun will alleviate that from happening.

edit: i though this would be more well known but i guess not? im used to it so i never jump while reloading as it will not help you.

I started reloading after "jumping"
EDIT: this also happens while holding a melee weapon
EDIT2: You'll notice, I attempted to jump a second time during the reload, which my character goes higher in elevation during the reloading jump compared to the hop. I make this type of jump+reload quite regularly. Spacebar then 0.5 seconds later I reload
EDIT3: Because of this 'hop', it cost me 60 stamina to jump over the fence instead of 20

4 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Ok that issu. I get that when I'm spam jumping and almost out of stamina but yeah it sucks

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I am hard pressing the space bar, I don't think it is even possible to tap the space bar for a micro second to cause the character to hop like in my clip.
I have no idea what causes it, but yeah, very annoying and has resulted in countless deaths, I play permadeath as well.

I can't really tell from the video, but your reply to Josh indicates you're hitting the SPACEBAR (to jump) if I understand correctly. (Do I?)

I'm wondering if you're colliding with the fence that that is keeping you from clearing the fence? If you jump while moving forward you might hit the fence before you reach the apex of the jump and then the rest of the jump might just be straight up in the air. Maybe? I'm guessing.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

I can't really tell from the video, but your reply to Josh indicates you're hitting the SPACEBAR (to jump) if I understand correctly. (Do I?)

I'm wondering if you're colliding with the fence that that is keeping you from clearing the fence? If you jump while moving forward you might hit the fence before you reach the apex of the jump and then the rest of the jump might just be straight up in the air. Maybe? I'm guessing.

Easy way to find out: @FranticDan Can you show us a video of you jumping without any fence in the way and you still only hop in place? If not and it happens only in front of fences then it is just because you are too close to the fence when trying to jump.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)