Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

2 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Yeah yeah.  

Why make true expension packs in style of dunno :darkest dungeon if you can make microtransations xd

Don't rely on modders.  Oblivion had mods and what?  Everyone remember horse armor. So - adding microtransation is bad. And unfair. 

If they had released what they had back in 2017 then you’d be getting a lot less of the features listed on the roadmap and what we have today would be 7 Days to Die 2 which would have cost you quite a bit more than getting it all for what you originally paid plus the option to buy extra outfits. 

If you’re bent out of shape over this list of features they shifted to post launch most of which will still be free, then how can you say you’d much prefer to have 1.0 seven years ago and then pay full game price for what we have now?

Hey, ask the console players how they feel about that….

19 minutes ago, User said:

imo you shouldn't have to pay, even if there is a good variety that comes with the game.

Thanks for your opinion. As long as you understand that it is just an opinion and that there isn’t anything objectively wrong with it I’m okay with that.

For me, as long as the footprint of the transaction remains on the Steam store and doesn’t enter the game itself I won’t be bothered. I don’t want to see a set for sale at the trader that I can’t select unless I pay real money. But if it’s just a list of DLCs to scroll through on the Steam store page for the game I’ll likely never look at them. 

Besides, this is TFP so the outfits are likely to be over the top funny things like the nerd set. There will probably be a Pimp Set or knowing Madmole: an Arnold Set or Thor Set. 

Easy pass…lol

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, User said:

imo you shouldn't have to pay, even if there is a good variety that comes with the game. This isn't a live service game, and the game isn't even done. Cosmetic or not, its unecessary. Espescially considering the game isn't finished yet.

I would say dlc maps but 7dtd is random gen mostly so that would be useless.  

50 minutes ago, Roland said:

If they had released what they had back in 2017 then you’d be getting a lot less of the features listed on the roadmap and what we have today would be 7 Days to Die 2 which would have cost you quite a bit more than getting it all for what you originally paid plus the option to buy extra outfits. 

If you’re bent out of shape over this list of features they shifted to post launch most of which will still be free, then how can you say you’d much prefer to have 1.0 seven years ago and then pay full game price for what we have now?

3 things :

1. If it was released in 2017 we would have big overhauls mods already 

2. Nobody would complain about microtransations in sequel because... well it will be diffrent game not this same that most of us paid years ago. Such stuff like mictronsation should be metioned during kickstarter/ before able too buy not after so long time. This same stuff like with new tekken when they added mictrotransation after month of release so people are angry and... can't even refund this game so fell cheated

3. Are you sure just outfits? now outfits in 2025 can be weapons etc. Re 4 remake style xd

If they wanted to make microtransation then could make 7dtd 2 :) problem solved.

"If you’re bent out of shape over this list of features they shifted to post launch most of which will still be free, then how can you say you’d much prefer to have 1.0 seven years ago and then pay full game price for what we have now?"

If you mean - 7 years ago release finished with all stuff from kickstarter list let's say in 2017 then....  let's say 7dtd 2 get Ea in 2020 with mictrotransations  then i woudn't buy 7dtd 2. Sorry i have enough of it in RE4, COD, ZOMBIE ARMY and more games. 

51 minutes ago, Roland said:

What about console players? 

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

Lots of overreaction and side chatter reaction to the 1.0 announcement. Let's just keep it in perspective. All that is happening is they are changing “alpha” state to “no longer in alpha/officially released” and changing the version names from A22 to 1.0.

I noticed in the video announcement that the term used was “leaving alpha”. I didn't hear anything that 1.0 was “gold”. It appears to be that leaving alpha is just a business decision so that when the console version is released, they can say the PC version is also officially released and no longer in alpha, thus 1.0 PC and the new console are the same and will be going forward. Gold may still be a ways down the road as the roadmap currently goes to Q4 2025. We may not like the official release not containing the gold content, but it really doesn't change much, just makes the game official which could increase the pressure to be more on time with the update releases.

One of the things that makes no sense to me is that they aren't completing the UI overhaul before console is released.  You'd think they'd want the new (assumingly improved) UI ready first so that console also gets it.  I know console UI is going to be a bit different simply because of how console controls work but I would still have expected them to finish the UI first.

In the end, if they were to publicly state that they had to make the game 1.0 because of Microsoft or Sony for the console release, I'd let it drop and would just accept the change even if I don't like it.  Catering to console is always bad in my opinion but at least it's a legitimate reason.  But they aren't going to state that even if it's true.  And without that, the game just soured for me.  I won't say that I won't like the changes and updates or anything like that but the game has fallen into a group for me with other games that I just don't really care about anymore.  I might occasionally play them but they aren't going to be at the top of the list of games.  It's just my opinion but I just don't agree with ever releasing a game as gold before it is finished.

30 minutes ago, DocRussel said:

Lots of overreaction and side chatter reaction to the 1.0 announcement. Let's just keep it in perspective. All that is happening is they are changing “alpha” state to “no longer in alpha/officially released” and changing the version names from A22 to 1.0.

I noticed in the video announcement that the term used was “leaving alpha”. I didn't hear anything that 1.0 was “gold”. It appears to be that leaving alpha is just a business decision so that when the console version is released, they can say the PC version is also officially released and no longer in alpha, thus 1.0 PC and the new console are the same and will be going forward. Gold may still be a ways down the road as the roadmap currently goes to Q4 2025. We may not like the official release not containing the gold content, but it really doesn't change much, just makes the game official which could increase the pressure to be more on time with the update releases.

Gold is typically used to describe a game that is at the point where it is finished and all features intended for it have been completed.   So I suppose you could say 1.0 isn't gold because it's obviously incomplete but when you change from early access to a 1.0 release, you are essentially indicating that it's a gold release.  It may all come down to semantics but it also means the game is released unfinished and for many people, that's just not a good thing.  Especially if they are selling DLCs before they finish.

2 hours ago, User said:

imo you shouldn't have to pay, even if there is a good variety that comes with the game. This isn't a live service game, and the game isn't even done. Cosmetic or not, its unecessary. Espescially considering the game isn't finished yet.

Then don't buy it till you deem the game "finished"? You want the art team just sitting on their hands while they wait on other parts of the game to catch up?

22 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

Then don't buy it till you deem the game "finished"? You want the art team just sitting on their hands while they wait on other parts of the game to catch up?

Sorry, I more meant that, instead of working on dlc stuff, perhaps they could work on some of the older textures, or certain biome tree textures that look a bit dated. There's still a lot of stuff that would benefit from facelifts. I sorta phrased it poorly, apologies, but I just don't like this kind of dlc in general, finished or not. Its always a big win when games just add this stuff in without an extra price tag. DLC being added before promised features is only a sort of side thing for me.

Just to add, I'm an idiot, so I probably just said something dumb, sorry. 💀

I think it just boils down to me not liking paid dlcs

Edited by User (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, User said:

Sorry, I more meant that, instead of working on dlc stuff, perhaps they could work on some of the older textures, or certain biome tree textures that look a bit dated. There's still a lot of stuff that would benefit from facelifts. I sorta phrased it poorly, apologies, but I just don't like this kind of dlc in general, finished or not. Its always a big win when games just add this stuff in without an extra price tag. DLC being added before promised features is only a sort of side thing for me.

There is lots of stuff to do before dlcs and that is what is happening in latest alphas.

We can see the result.

Of course, there could be free time to work on future content that can be called dlc, but trust me, future dlcs are not above on the list than what they work on now. 

P.S. Just to add that you are not an idiot, we all learn something new here and there. 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Mister Forgash said:

Super stoked to hear about the big push to 1.0! It's been a long time coming, and though I've loved playing a new alpha pretty much every year. I know that 1.0 is a big deal.. I'm a bit worried about the backlash there will be that bandits are not making it in 1.0, I'm expecting that to ruffle a lot of feathers.-- Someone[Too lazy to go back and check] mentioned a page back or so that this seems kinda rushed and sudden, possibly in relation to the console drop- Sounds believable. 
Very mixed feelings. I hope the launch goes well, I feel like the game may kinda need that as there's going to be a bunch of people going 'You promised!' but more profane. 

.. W/e I'm still stoked for that unstable branch. .. And 1.1, 1.2... I trust you, Pimps I know you all wont be done with the game until it feels done.

Event system: If it's the same as was talked about before[2-ish yrs ago?], think something akin to the way Skyrim is able to throw bandit, a trader, a couple wolves chasing a deer, etc ahead of you, just beyond detection- it makes the world feel more alive. I imagine the 7d2d events might be something like.. A pack of wolves! .. 2 zombies and a wolf fighting, a bandit gang just chilling somewhere cracking zombie heads as a hoard rolls through- But with all the things the twitch integration can do- I bet there will be way more possibilities than just 'spawn some stuff'.

It would be cool if this is true, and if they can spawn "anything" and drop a few dead chickens/bandits in the mix to have some zeds already chomping down on them when you run into them.

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

3 things :

1. If it was released in 2017 we would have big overhauls mods already 

We had big overhaul mods before 2017, in 2017, we have them now, and they will exist in the future. Not entirely sure what point you are trying to make here.

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

2. Nobody would complain about microtransations

People will almost always complain about microtransactions. DLC is not microtransactions.

7 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I’m sorry, but what the heck is a left wing game?  🤷‍♂️

Fewer Karen and Business zombies, more Janitors and Hard-hats, for mighty zombie proletariat.

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Probably he wanted to say "woke" games... 

Oh, that's with fewer sleepers.

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)

1 hour ago, FramFramson said:

Fewer Karen and Business zombies, more Janitors and Hard-hats, for mighty zombie proletariat.

Oh, that's with fewer sleepers.

Hmm... not exactly. I'll give you one example: infinite gender and pronouns possibilities! :cheer2:

6 hours ago, User said:

I personally really dislike stuff like this. On top of a price hike, they plan to implement paid dlcs and expansions. They are already going to make bank off of the console release, so I see no need to do this kind of stuff. Is there going to be poi expansions? 10 bucks for some pois that should have been included in the game's price perhaps? I think I saw a couple posts by laz a while back that sort of hinted at that kind of stuff

In particular, I find calling it a 'price hike' to be poor framing. Everyone one of us has known all along that buying at Early access, we got an unfinished game at an unfinished game price. We got the hot deal because more or less, we were beta testers that got the devs enough capital to really take this project to the distance. We all bought in knowing a day would be coming where they start charging 'it's a done game' prices. Well- now they've chosen it. As for DLC- We've been in an age where companies drop 1.0 alongside day 1 DLC, I think just about all of us have seen that now- It's tacky. I agree. But 6 months in- it depends what we're seeing. If it's just cosmetics, then I really don't think that's something worth getting your goodies in a twist about. If they're going to do an expansion, I think that's great- as long as they fulfil their goals [BANDITS] before they go saying, 'For another $15 you can have 7D2D+'

.. On a tangential thought, it just occurred to me something along the lines of, it's been said: If TFP were hypothetically working on another title, it could be negatively viewed to tell us too much about 'New and Shiny' before the first game is even released... So if there is a game that may-or-may-not exist maybe there will be some official details dropping in the future. 🤞

3 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

It would be cool if this is true, and if they can spawn "anything" and drop a few dead chickens/bandits in the mix to have some zeds already chomping down on them when you run into them.

That exactly! - Maybe make a few gunshots trigger from the event location to get your attention then you run over to check it out and it's a gorefest. The possibilities of the unknown.

Please fix how guns work without optics. The front sight should be centered in the rear sight. I love this game but it's crazy how long front posts are and aiming solely with said front post.

There's mods to fix it but man, it's basic firearm knowledge that's being ignored. I don't know if there is a plan ever at all but it would make an already amazing game so much better.

Otherwise, great news and can't wait. 

There is one topic that bothers me. Attracting and retaining new players.

This concerns how the game is being talked about on the Internet.
Most often in the tops and articles, the game is referred to as "survival in the open world in a zombie apocalypse with horror elements."

Sometimes it is called "voxel-based".

Do you know what "voxel-based" means to ordinary people? It doesn't mean anything. An incomprehensible set of words. And they are not interested in finding out what it is, they are unlikely to go Googling. Yes, that's not necessary.
They want to buy a game and play it.

And the "voxel game" is the main reason why it is incorrect to compare it with ordinary AA, AAA, AAAAAAAAAA-class games.
But people don't know this and compare instead of trying to play on their own. They rate the game based on articles and tops that miss one of the most important features of the game.

There are very few official materials on the game. Screenshots and videos for the press.
Game reviews often use old screenshots or videos.
Personally, I learned about this game in 2018 from a YouTube video with a review of the games. I was shown the gameplay from the old alpha version, and I just scrolled through it.
Right now, open Google images and write "7 Days To Die". You will see a couple of new covers and screenshots, and then only the old alpha versions.
I was so surprised when I first launched the game in 2020. It was completely different from what I saw on the video. It was much better.

I think it is important in the video about the release of version 1.0 to focus on this and show clearly what can be done in this game, but cannot be done in 99% of other games.

I do not know who wrote the text that Rick voiced in the Alpha Exodus video, but this text is addressed to people familiar with the game.
To attract new players, it is necessary to show everything that this game can surprise and delay, without using definitions that are difficult for ordinary people like "voxel-based".

Show how you build a beautiful building, and then destroy it, show that you have a huge city in which you can enter every building.

The video that will be released for the 1.0 release is very important to attract a new audience.

I also really hope that you will pay attention to the training quests.
Journal entries are evil. Nobody reads them.
Show the basics of the game in the form of short videos. Tell us about the tools and their levels from simple to steel, weapons, survival and base construction.
Biomes, loot, progress, and more.

Here's the right way to beat the grass. Here's the right way to defeat zombies. It can be cured, and it can relieve a headache, it can cure an infection.
That's how to build, and that's how to modernize. With this, it is better to extract wood, and with this, stone and iron.
You can barricade yourself in a ready-made building or build your own base.
And so on and so forth. 
You shouldn't expect people to figure things out on their own or turn to google. 
They will close the game and make a refund.

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Hmm... not exactly. I'll give you one example: infinite gender and pronouns possibilities! :cheer2:

So, instead of "zombie grunts" we get a barrage of pronouns as sounds?? 😛

29 minutes ago, Mister Forgash said:

In particular, I find calling it a 'price hike' to be poor framing. Everyone one of us has known all along that buying at Early access, we got an unfinished game at an unfinished game price. We got the hot deal because more or less, we were beta testers that got the devs enough capital to really take this project to the distance. We all bought in knowing a day would be coming where they start charging 'it's a done game' prices. Well- now they've chosen it. As for DLC- We've been in an age where companies drop 1.0 alongside day 1 DLC, I think just about all of us have seen that now- It's tacky. I agree. But 6 months in- it depends what we're seeing. If it's just cosmetics, then I really don't think that's something worth getting your goodies in a twist about. If they're going to do an expansion, I think that's great- as long as they fulfil their goals [BANDITS] before they go saying, 'For another $15 you can have 7D2D+'

.. On a tangential thought, it just occurred to me something along the lines of, it's been said: If TFP were hypothetically working on another title, it could be negatively viewed to tell us too much about 'New and Shiny' before the first game is even released... So if there is a game that may-or-may-not exist maybe there will be some official details dropping in the future. 🤞

That exactly! - Maybe make a few gunshots trigger from the event location to get your attention then you run over to check it out and it's a gorefest. The possibilities of the unknown.

Good sir, you are based. Good point about the ea thing, it is true. My only real irk is the dlc I guess. But I think I'm the only one who doesn't like even cosmetic stuff like that in games- it didn't stop or reflect negatively on other sucessful indie games like deep rock galactic, and it doesn't bother most people. Just rubs me the wrong way a little. Makes me happy when games don't put that stuff in their games in any capacity, and its something I'd otherwise praise about the game if it didn't have any gameplay or cosmetic dlcs. I don't think I'd have as much as a problem if they released it after they finished their promised features, but I still wouldn't be a fan.

😅

Edited by User (see edit history)

On 4/20/2024 at 2:00 AM, FranticDan said:

@faatal Question regarding RWG, is there or could there be an option to determine the min/max distance that wilderness POI's can spawn apart from each other?
Reason I ask is I'd like a way through xml to have wilderness POI's spawn about 200m-250m apart from each other, as well as the potential to have close to 1000 wilderness POI's in an 8k map, and even more if people dare to generate a 16k map.

(Think of it like a nomadic playstyle, constantly moving around the map)

It is not as simple as that. In tweaking rwgmixer.xml wilderness counts, I found there is a max count at which it stops successfully finding locations for for prefabs. Don't yet know what the limiting factor is. On a 10k I can get over 600 to spawn, so the Wilderness Many setting for that is now 750, up from 400. Many is now 450 on 8k. Reducing mountains also helps as that does limit some prefab locations.

On 4/20/2024 at 2:26 PM, Kam R. said:

Whoop whoop! New game version numbers! :]

Does this mean no more map wipes though...?

Hopefully less often, but there is no guarantee some tech issue requires changing data formats in a way we can't make backwards compatible. Ideally we will load/convert what we can instead of nothing at all.

All the new POIs are great and we do have a very large variety overall compared with most all other games...

BUT

Yes...there is always a big butt...

I feel like we need a lot more variety of wilderness and outdoor POIs that are not a cabin, a hut, a shed etc. Since the Perlin Worm cave system got scrapped ages ago...a shame...but if they were empty anyways does really matter at all! Things like small caves, outcroppings, animal dens, a copse of trees with a pond, rock formations etc etc.