Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

Was curious if the new character models would be dropping with 1.0/A22.  That was a little unclear for me since the Wardrobe system was called out for the Q4/Storm's Brewing drop and there is no mention of character overhaul in 1.0.

Thanks!!
Eko

13 minutes ago, WaywardEko said:

Was curious if the new character models would be dropping with 1.0/A22.  That was a little unclear for me since the Wardrobe system was called out for the Q4/Storm's Brewing drop and there is no mention of character overhaul in 1.0.

Thanks!!
Eko

Yes, the new character system will be in 1.0 / A22.

55 minutes ago, RhinoW said:

You're talking about game files and dev-only stuff then, unless there have been bandits in the game before A12, I don't recall any update mentioning the addition of bandits. When I said attempts I meant attempts in an update release, similar to sleepers, we all remember how those started out and how they got adjusted over time. It's an alpha, alpha is to build the skeleton of the game.

Skills have been redone countless times, that's what alphas are for, testing and trying out stuff. No one would bat an eye if bandits were just simple ranged targets with a zombie cop behavior and got improved over time, it's part of the iteration process.

People play with janky bandit mods because they just like the idea of enemies besides animals and humans zombies*, even with all the jank and lack of proper support.

A16 had bandits

In vanilla tho removed shortly after as their ai were bad and in which tfp have improved for when bandits do make it  

Does some calculating yes a16 is def after a12

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

so, no bandits for another year.. Q2 2025.... 

not too bothered myself, could take them or leave them. will have to see how deeply they are integrated into the story.... BTW was there a time scale for when the story gets padded out?

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

Any info you can give regarding the wardrobe function?

fataal or Laz may reply, but my guess is a place you can hotswap entire outfits without doing so piece by piece. This is more important in a game with more specialized outfit sets, and also if they're going to bring in cosmetic skins/mods as another point suggests.

Please tell me there will be zero paid DLC until all the promised features are added to the game (for free).

Like I'm not against DLC completely but it's never a good look to ask fans for more money before the devs have given fans everything they were promised when we made our original purchase. 

Also locking things behind twitch drops is just a kick in the teeth.

Most of us would rather play the game than watch someone else play so locking content behind having to watch someone else have fun is just lame.

1 minute ago, FramFramson said:

fataal or Laz may reply, but my guess is a place you can hotswap entire outfits without doing so piece by piece. This is more important in a game with more specialized outfit sets, and also if they're going to bring in cosmetic skins/mods as another point suggests.

See, that was my thinking on it. Being able to swap outfits based on what you want to do (kind job-swapping in FF14 with a click or two would be awesome, since we are getting specialized outfits.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Yes, the new character system will be in 1.0 / A22.

Y'all need to include that in the roadmap.  That's a fairly large update and it's not even mentioned.  For me that is bigger than everything else noted for 1.0

21 minutes ago, WaywardEko said:

Y'all need to include that in the roadmap.  That's a fairly large update and it's not even mentioned.  For me that is bigger than everything else noted for 1.0

It says it right under the 1.0 bit in the pic they posted:

Untitled.png

Looking good! I have only 1 question

1. Will the invisible trigger/zombie spawning out of nowhere in rooms you already cleared system will be fixed? I remember some very jarring experiences in a21, where I cleared a bathroom, went into a living room which triggered something and zombies spawned in the bathroom I already cleared. It feels terrible to play like that. Another  example is the big prison, where there's just tens of zombies spawning in thin air, as soon as you step over some invisible threshold. In my opinion this has been a real downgrade to the enjoyment of the game, so I hope it gets fixed/changed.

Outside of that, im loving all the new stuff coming, keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, aamatniekss said:

Looking good! I have only 1 question

1. Will the invisible trigger/zombie spawning out of nowhere in rooms you already cleared system will be fixed? I remember some very jarring experiences in a21, where I cleared a bathroom, went into a living room which triggered something and zombies spawned in the bathroom I already cleared. It feels terrible to play like that. Another  example is the big prison, where there's just tens of zombies spawning in thin air, as soon as you step over some invisible threshold. In my opinion this has been a real downgrade to the enjoyment of the game, so I hope it gets fixed/changed.

Outside of that, im loving all the new stuff coming, keep up the good work!

Do you remember the name of the POI with the bathroom / living room?

The trigger system has received some improvements in A22 but how they function is still mostly the same.  Hopefully stealth gets some more love when bandits are worked in, but nothing definite yet.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

8 hours ago, RhinoW said:

They became greedy, made greedy choices and lost the love for the game they once cared for.

Sorry, but again... where is your evidence of that?

I only see a team that has been working for years on content, that has been active on the forum and that has been doing dev-streams to proudly show their work to us.

Can you bring proof of your assertions about greed? ... And even better, isn't this also a business? So what does greed have to do with it? smh

The irony of talking about false assumptions and then calling me uneducated on my area of work lol.

Sorry, didn't know you were a developer (it actually makes sense since apparently most players do your same job), but I wasn't referring to your technical knowledge, but to the knowledge of how The Fun Pimps work internally. I don't think anyone of us players really knows what goes on @TFP and how they handle job scheduling, or make decisions on new features or other things.

That, was what I was referring to when I said uneducated (and by the way, to clarify, it was not meant in a diminishing manner, since I'm uneducated too on that).

My point is, have you seen any attempts at bandits for over 21 alphas? No, you havent.

Yes I have. Ehrm... A16 anyone? Also, it's common knowledge among those who are following development that since faatal took over that part, they've been putting down the groundwork for bandits even after they removed the bandits' "prototype" in A17.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

New models look amazing. But are there plans for parallax texture support? After new models started to add since A17-19 only thing that bothered me were completely flat textures on blocks. But parallax can help solve it a bit, adding some volume to flat textures. Would be so cool to add those to game.

13 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

If I'm not confusing anything, then the Twitch integration feature was created by Fubar Prime in his spare time and did not belong to the main development stream.

By the way, what does Prime do during business hours?
(i thought he was just a streamer and a PR-manager because he streams not only 7dtd but also completely left-wing games)

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

The trigger system has received some improvements in A22 but how they function is still mostly the same.  Hopefully stealth gets some more love when bandits are worked in, but nothing definite yet.

Something like a check when the trigger is set that sees if the player visited a room within “x” amount of time and not spawn enemies from that section. Could make level design more challenging but I agree with OP, it’s a bit frustrating to get mobbed from rooms you already visited (especially dead ends). I notice it more for infested clear quests in larger POIs. 

1 hour ago, n2n1 said:

By the way, what does Prime do during business hours?
(i thought he was just a streamer and a PR-manager because he streams not only 7dtd but also completely left-wing games)

Prime is senior programmer and pretty cool guy. 

Hello, I don't usually post here, but I regularly check the forum to see what's going on and what's said.

Now I have a question (maybe for @faatal idk) : image.png.1690bea34adbff78f7e997f8cd8c00c4.png

What do you mean about "event"?

Like Radiated zone to avoid? Massive zombie groups in cities? Attack/raid of zombified wildlife/bandits?

How will it be displayed? What are TFP's thoughts here?

It's pretty interesting to have more info cuz it looks like a major improvement for the late game

Thanks!

Edited by Teezer (see edit history)

Super stoked to hear about the big push to 1.0! It's been a long time coming, and though I've loved playing a new alpha pretty much every year. I know that 1.0 is a big deal.. I'm a bit worried about the backlash there will be that bandits are not making it in 1.0, I'm expecting that to ruffle a lot of feathers.-- Someone[Too lazy to go back and check] mentioned a page back or so that this seems kinda rushed and sudden, possibly in relation to the console drop- Sounds believable. 
Very mixed feelings. I hope the launch goes well, I feel like the game may kinda need that as there's going to be a bunch of people going 'You promised!' but more profane. 

.. W/e I'm still stoked for that unstable branch. .. And 1.1, 1.2... I trust you, Pimps I know you all wont be done with the game until it feels done.

Event system: If it's the same as was talked about before[2-ish yrs ago?], think something akin to the way Skyrim is able to throw bandit, a trader, a couple wolves chasing a deer, etc ahead of you, just beyond detection- it makes the world feel more alive. I imagine the 7d2d events might be something like.. A pack of wolves! .. 2 zombies and a wolf fighting, a bandit gang just chilling somewhere cracking zombie heads as a hoard rolls through- But with all the things the twitch integration can do- I bet there will be way more possibilities than just 'spawn some stuff'.

Was the console version initially shown to not come with rwg? I don't remember. Seems like a pretty big thing to be missing, I'm not a console player, though.

Once again, very much against this dlc. I don't think its okay to not only release the game before a lot of promised features on a previous roadmap to gold are implemented, but also create paid dlc as the first update after release, espescially given the price hike. I think I'm making such a big point of this because in an interview, I believe one of the main devs said "we don't want to just rubber stamp it gold", and now it feels kinda like thats what theyre doing? I don't know. I still love the game, but man, this puts a bad taste in my mouth. At least we got a timeline, I guess? 🤔

Zombie stages sounds cool, that sounds more like additional tiers like radiated or feral instead of wholly new zombies. Hopefully we do get fully new ones at some point though, some of the current archetypes feel like they do the same thing as one another (exploding, spitting acid)

Edited by User (see edit history)