Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

15 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Some of those are proof of concepts and/or facades for possible future content.  They are not all guaranteed to go into production.  Dishong is still currently the tallest skyscraper in A22 / 1.0.

We are still focused on downtown remnant POIs currently, but it is still possible for extra unplanned content to squeeze in if we have time so there is still hope.

Out of curiosity, what new POI would people like to see in A22 / 1.0 if you could only pick one?  Sorry, no airports or yachts...😁

Hagashi Medical building in the picture for scale. Over 1k zombies in it :)

Nakatomi skyscraper01.png

Some of those are proof of concepts and/or facades for possible future content.  They are not all guaranteed to go into production.  Dishong is still currently the tallest skyscraper in A22 / 1.0.

We are still focused on downtown remnant POIs currently, but it is still possible for extra unplanned content to squeeze in if we have time so there is still hope.

Out of curiosity, what new POI would people like to see in A22 / 1.0 if you could only pick one?  Sorry, no airports or yachts...😁

Nakatomi Plaza skyscraper...

Hagashi Medical building in the picture for scale. Over 1k zombies in it :)

Edited by HB_H4wk
screwy connection (see edit history)

13 hours ago, faatal said:

I don't have all the details, but my initial desire for an event is a mini blood moon, that can happen any day, with some warning to get back to your base. They could also be bandits or a mega zombie. Vulture swarm. Bandits lobbing mortars at your base that you have to go out and stop. A tornado or earthquake would be cool, but you can't fight that :(. Land shark burrowing up into you base. Sand worms. Trader's wife taken hostage, so you have to get her back or pay ransom. Bandit duel where you each get one shot. Bandit drag race. Timed race to get somewhere. Bandits kidnap you and wake up in random location. I'm sure I can make some more up.

I assume, like most settings, this would be togglable? I myself see this as being nice to spice up a lot of lategame files, but I could see this being problematic if players are used to the rather calm nature of the world (at least in the forest biome) outside of blood moons/wandering hordes.

Bit of a tangent, but I would also love a similar toggle for heat and heat effects to be possible in the 1.0 release, if it is possible to code. Would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and another POI type that would be great would be ones with docks and a way for them to spawn in places where they stick out into the water.  To be clear, I'm not talking about including water in the POI for the dock like on the wedding POI.  I'm talking about a dock POI that can spawn next to a river or a lake or the sea, with the dock sticking into the water.

More cave or mine POI that spawn well in random locations.  A large bus station that is open concept rather than dungeon style would be nice.  Maybe another field hospital or two.  You would expect to see them all around with this kind of epidemic.

Perhaps even some POI that include some special lighting or fog effects or other ambient effects.  No cable POI do this but you can see it in and custom POI and it looks really good.  Hide some lights and add some fog and you get some really interesting effects.  Of course, you need it to look like it belongs, so that is the trick.  And there are of course performance concerns with those things, but if you keep it small, like in only one part of the POI, it should be fine.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

I just like seeing more stuff, so I'll be happy regardless. If I really have to pick one, then another skyscraper is naturally good for fleshing out a busy downtown in a larger city, and it's something modders have trouble doing well because it's a big, intensive job, but other buildings we're missing include:

Public Library main branch

Concert Hall

Museum

Elementary school

Federal/State Building (could be a skyscraper - nice to have a non-commercial one)

Amusement Park (probably not feasible due to needing multiple tiles)

University Campus branch location ("AZU Navezgane Campus")

T5 military site which is very different from Red Mesa

But to be honest, one thing I notice is that RWG tends to have a lot of small towns, so there's a LOT of pressure on small houses and the more modest rural commercial/industrial sites and you run into them early game too. If I really wanted to increase variety, that's what I'd beef up. A couple POIs we haven't seen which fit into that framework could be:

Meat-packing plant

Industrial bakery

Small trucking company location

Self-storage

Standalone donut shop

1-2 'cemetery' variations on the vacant lot filler (not like the Crypts, just gravestones)

Rest stop-style multi- franchise fast food restaurant (the sort where you have one building, but with two+ counters inside).

Powersports store

Farm equipment store

A second small church (IIRC, there's one in the game files, though I never seem to see it). Extra points for one which visibly used to be a different kind of building, like the Pizza Huts-turned-church you see out there.

For a standalone wilderness remnant, how about an oil drilling rig?

2 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

So in comparison to the PC version, what specs will console be running at? 

For example is it pretty much medium settings or better than that?

Should be a mix of medium and high. It does render lower and upsample like many console games do.

I did get FSR 3 rendering working a few days ago on PC and looks good other than a few minor blur issues, but it has not been tested on Mac/Linux or console yet.

8 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Oh, and another POI type that would be great would be ones with docks and a way for them to spawn in places where they stick out into the water.  To be clear, I'm not talking about including water in the POI for the dock like on the wedding POI.  I'm talking about a dock POI that can spawn next to a river or a lake or the sea, with the dock sticking into the water.

More cave or mine POI that spawn well in random locations.  A large bus station that is open concept rather than dungeon style would be nice.  Maybe another future hospital or two.  You would expect to see them all around with this kind of epidemic.

Agree with all these. There are docks in game files as Navezgane-only, so I suspect there just needs to be a way to make them spawn using RWG. 

11 hours ago, Doomofman said:

There used to be a bigger junk yard POI a few alphas back with a bunch of big containers out front with trash on top and a red brick multistory building. I kinda miss that

Though does that count as 'new'?

Oh is the big junkyard gone? Booooo. :(

36 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

I assume, like most settings, this would be togglable? I myself see this as being nice to spice up a lot of lategame files, but I could see this being problematic if players are used to the rather calm nature of the world (at least in the forest biome) outside of blood moons/wandering hordes.

Possibly. Event Types: None, Basic, Advanced, Insane, You Will Regret This.

8 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

But to be honest, one thing I notice is that RWG tends to have a lot of small towns, so there's a LOT of pressure on small houses and the more modest rural commercial/industrial sites and you run into them early game too. If I really wanted to increase variety, that's what I'd beef up.

In 1.0, RWG will more successfully make cities/towns, so there are more of the bigger ones.

16 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Being this is set in the American southwest, how about a mine?

4 hours ago, Eromivus said:

That is such a cool idea. I could see having more of a journey game mode, where you're trying to get to an army base / the other coast / whatever, and each map is 7 days culminating in an increasingly powerful horde. Survive that, and you can travel to an exit point to move to the next map. Something like that would be a really refreshing twist on the structure.

I'll sometimes play what I call a "sprint." The idea is that I start in one corner of the map and have to exit the map on the far corner by a certain time limit. I might give myself 2-3 game days to cross an 8k map. else I got caught by the horde and died. That's about 11km of travel. I can make it extend across multiple maps by generating a new world, briefly starting a new game, then copying my character from the previous game over. Others have suggested instead of crossing from corner to corner, walking the edge of an 8k map, so that would be about 30-32 km of travel on a single map.

46 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

There are docks in game files as Navezgane-only, so I suspect there just needs to be a way to make them spawn using RWG.

I've done some of that by making a Tile that is most a big lake and then making dock POI to fit a unique footprint and tag so that RWG only puts docks on the lakefront.

But Riamus' suggestion of being able to "stick" a POI to a river, lake, or map edge would be very nice.

Something perhaps too ambitious would be allowing an RWG settlement to have a "river district" the let a river flow linearly through the settlement. The trick is now RWG has to arrange for both road and river connectivity. Current districts go together as either clumps or as a surrounding district.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, zztong said:

I've done some of that by making a Tile that is most a big lake and then making dock POI to fit a unique footprint and tag so that RWG only puts docks on the lakefront.

But Riamus' suggestion of being able to "stick" a POI to a river, lake, or map edge would be very nice.

A possible way to make this work with RWG is to have it check the edge of the POI to see if water is touching the edge anywhere.  If so, it attempts to place the POI where the water on the POI connects to the water on the map.  Granted, that info isn't in the XML.  Still tricky, but it would be a good way to handle it, I think.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

More cave or mine POI that spawn well in random locations.  A large bus station that is open concept rather than dungeon style would be nice.  Maybe another field hospital or two.  You would expect to see them all around with this kind of epidemic.

Perhaps even some POI that include some special lighting or fog effects or other ambient effects.  No cable POI do this but you can see it in and custom POI and it looks really good.  Hide some lights and add some fog and you get some really interesting effects.  Of course, you need it to look like it belongs, so that is the trick.  And there are of course performance concerns with those things, but if you keep it small, like in only one part of the POI, it should be fine.

I think a poi that spawns at water/a river would be absolutely dope. Would definitely look forward to more reasons to explore outside of cities, and that would also add some cool set dressing and detail to the world.

17 hours ago, Laz Man said:

The famous movie POIs - The Bates Motel, Evil Dead cabin, Nightmare on Elm Street house, etc, were significant solidifying factors for me to consider this my favorite game of all time.

I've already mentioned George Romero movies and Return of the Living Dead earlier in this thread. 

So I would absolutely love to see more of those. Exorcist house, Michael Myers house, etc. 

More open area POIs like Housing Development, which I brought up in another thread here and has been confirmed that there will be more like that, so we can check that off.

ALSO...I think we need a POI (or multiple POIs or an overall spawning system) where zombies crawl out of the ground! Somewhere here on the forums I made a post about this and someone replied with a video of a POI they made that has zombies crawling out of graves. It looked great! 

35 minutes ago, Arez said:

The famous movie POIs - The Bates Motel, Evil Dead cabin, Nightmare on Elm Street house, etc, were significant solidifying factors for me to consider this my favorite game of all time.

I've already mentioned George Romero movies and Return of the Living Dead earlier in this thread. 

So I would absolutely love to see more of those. Exorcist house, Michael Myers house, etc. 

More open area POIs like Housing Development, which I brought up in another thread here and has been confirmed that there will be more like that, so we can check that off.

ALSO...I think we need a POI (or multiple POIs or an overall spawning system) where zombies crawl out of the ground! Somewhere here on the forums I made a post about this and someone replied with a video of a POI they made that has zombies crawling out of graves. It looked great! 

What about the Last House on the Left?

This might sound kinda brown-nosey, but honestly I do want to say thanks to @Laz Man and the other POI-makers. Looking through the POI browser last night reminded me of how good the verisimilitude is on POIs now, and it's honestly impressive that you guys have made so many business strips and generic town/city buildings and POIs that still have an identity, a recognizable architectural style, while still incorporating a playable layout and interior. That's some really unglamourous work compared to skyscrapers or other splashy or memorable POIs, but they mean everything in terms of making towns and cities in 7D a fully-fleshed out place to play.

Also, there's complaints about dungeoneering POIs and I get that too (and often I too just say @%$# it and bash through), but one thing dungeoneering does do is offer a different play sequence for what would otherwise be fairly identical buildings.

So don't think nobody notices all that work. It means a lot to the game.

20 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I will straight up give you all the video and photo references I have (one of which is a full video tour of the building as it is rendered in game, with all of its original clutter) if you make the Devil May Cry 5 agency building as either a remnant (it's not a big building, has no basement, and no immediate roof access unless you count a fire escape on the bedroom window's wall, of which only appears in the anime and not the game), or a Tier 1.

It's a relatively small POI, too. The facade of the building might be difficult but it could be done—I've tried myself but I am not a builder by any means lol. It also doesn't make any sense from an outside perspective because it's sandwiched between a warehouse and an apartment building, yet it has windows on both sides of it, but shhh, that can be overlooked with dual alleys on the sides or a standalone building.

(sorry. am autistic and devil may cry is a hyperfixation, so I may have went overboard trying to sell it as a viable POI because it'd be cool as hell to see in game... I mean it's covered in trash and clutter because Dante Devil May Cry is a slob so there's plenty of stuff to put in it for resources, and here I go again trying to sway your opinion)

realistically though, more iconic horror movie houses. I wish the tilesets allowed for multi-tier terrain, because the Exorcist house would be sick as hell. Not sure if the Amityville home has been done, either. I know the Elm Street house has. Maybe the Myers household or Camp Crystal Lake if they haven't been done? Hellraiser house is a standalone home, that would be pretty cool.

anyway to ask a question in return: what's your favorite POI that you've built so far, whether for the new 1.0 version or from previous builds?

Favorite "dream" poi would be...  the fratellis hideout from goonies. And yes: down the fireplace, past chester copperpot, all the way to the well, all the way to the slide and the pirate ship, in the ship, the loot room. Booby traps.

edit: apparently its called the "lighthouse lounge"

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

On 4/20/2024 at 9:37 PM, nitnoid said:

Personally, I'd rather they fix the stupid annoying drone than include bandits.  But, that's just me.

It's not just you.  There is definitely room for improvement on the drone.

I want to love my drone.  I use it all the time.  But why is it coded to get in my way at every possible opportunity?  When I am building it is always floating where I want to place a block.  When I am planting a garden, it gets in the way because the game reserves 2 blocks high for the plant to grow and there is the drone blocking the way.

Dig down into a hole to do some mining, and then try to nerd pole out... drone is right on top of me blocking the way.

And yes, I am aware of the ability to tell the drone to stay in one place.  I don't like to do that because then I tend to forget and leave it behind.

Ironically, the one time that I want the drone to be close to me is when I need to access its inventory.  But THEN it decides to play coy and dodge away from me.

On 4/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, Laz Man said:

Well can't go past a adult entertainment hotel (brothel) 🙃 🤪😁