With the light of GNS new video about going back in time to the old alphas

I want to here people thoughts on cut things 

Here is mine 

Smell when holding meat and Other types of meat 

Some LBD skills not all but some

Zombie spawn setting 

The nude/zombies in underwear

I kinda miss water jars but too a point

Smg5 ring sight... such a down grade hell I miss most iron sights and being able to aim 

Old hunting knife model... small I know but the bowie knife has drip. I'm bias cuz I own one

Maintenance on vehicles like checking tires, engine, battery, etc 

Some old skill names like sex rex. Small Ik 

Iron tier of blocks

The old sniper model. I like it a bit better then the SVD. Makes bearly any sense why it's in the US, unless it's a cheap Chinese rip off..... probably that. 

I also mostly miss the true survival aspect. Dying has consequences other then perma death or large xp lost. You came back weaker, wellness was cool but it was way too slow to build it up, infections In a17 was stupid fast, dysentery was rather harsh and wouldn't go away unless cured

Hopefully they add on some other survival aspects after they are done with RPG and looter shooter. Tho tbh this game is a mix of many things. Voxal, survival, tower defense, rpg, looter shooter, and Hopefully soon story.

That's really it! I want to hear yalls

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

- weapon parts: i personally liked having to decide if i wanted to carry a found weapon back to base, or the parts bs carrying other things. And having to wait/loot the better parts when you had a weapon with 1 crappy part.

- vehicle "maintenance" was mentioned, and was also "parts", and same reason.

For me: for these two above, it just made you really like the weapon you were specializing in. Short of "giving it a name" it made the items more personalized and like mini-games/quests. Mods are kinda like that but not as much fun IMHO.

- The "ambience" of the constant? Thick Mist/fog (im thinking console version, at least as i remember it).  I like being able to see really far away, sometimes, but my PC isnt powerful enough to render everything far away so its a bit immersion breaking on a clear day to look to the horizon and see only flat ground/grey "areas" where roads and POis are when far away, grass and trees just "not there" until you get close.

- zeds that climbed walls. To stop/defend against them was "easy" once you knew it happened and how to do it. I wish this came back in a harder to defend form (like zeds piling up climbed on too of each other higher) or there were varied special "attacks". I loved the addition of the bomber zed (with button to activate them). And dealing with spitters is a joy (well, thats just me). 

- i think Learn by doing  should be brought back for a limited set of things. I know why it was taken out, but it was satisfying to me in non multiplayer games where people were not "cheating the system".  As an example: jumping height, stamina while mining, swimming, and/or weapon accuracy could be LBD, no?

- i kinda liked "empty trader compounds" on console (no traders existed). I know traders can be removed, but i think an option to turn them "off" would be nice, and the game were balanced so traders are not required for all items.  Maybe "traders so not exist early game and then start appearing as the game progresses" would be kinda fun (though never was in the game) and then the items do not have to he rebalanced (except dew collector filter?)

- i liked the concrete drying, because it was a punishment if you waited too long to upgrade to concrete on day 7, which i did a lot. It was another mechanic that you had to allocate time to that was not a bug deal unless you didn't plan ahead.

- caves. Randomly finding them, accidentally driving into them. On a large map with few cities, caves were a fun and sometimes necessary resource/overnight temp base vs "build another ugly wood box". I  was really hoping with the new RNG being worked on (and possible FPS improvements), decent caves would come back (not underneath POis). Its kinda a shame with a full voxel survival world (that does not have infinite map size)  how much underground "area" goes unexplored/unused. Making "big mountains and cracks is kinda a workaround, but finding random gen caves in those mountains and cracks would he awesome.

55 minutes ago, Maharin said:

Probably the #1 thing for me is the maps with a large central city.  I so desperately wish they'd bring that back before release.

We kinda have those but I do miss the large dense areas. If we had more sky scrappers  and how it was much harder and had more zombies

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

- weapon parts: i personally liked having to decide if i wanted to carry a found weapon back to base, or the parts bs carrying other things. And having to wait/loot the better parts when you had a weapon with 1 crappy part.

- vehicle "maintenance" was mentioned, and was also "parts", and same reason.

For me: for these two above, it just made you really like the weapon you were specializing in. Short of "giving it a name" it made the items more personalized and like mini-games/quests. Mods are kinda like that but not as much fun IMHO.

- The "ambience" of the constant? Thick Mist/fog (im thinking console version, at least as i remember it).  I like being able to see really far away, sometimes, but my PC isnt powerful enough to render everything far away so its a bit immersion breaking on a clear day to look to the horizon and see only flat ground/grey "areas" where roads and POis are when far away, grass and trees just "not there" until you get close.

- zeds that climbed walls. To stop/defend against them was "easy" once you knew it happened and how to do it. I wish this came back in a harder to defend form (like zeds piling up climbed on too of each other higher) or there were varied special "attacks". I loved the addition of the bomber zed (with button to activate them). And dealing with spitters is a joy (well, thats just me). 

- i think Learn by doing  should be brought back for a limited set of things. I know why it was taken out, but it was satisfying to me in non multiplayer games where people were not "cheating the system".  As an example: jumping height, stamina while mining, swimming, and/or weapon accuracy could be LBD, no?

- i kinda liked "empty trader compounds" on console (no traders existed). I know traders can be removed, but i think an option to turn them "off" would be nice, and the game were balanced so traders are not required for all items.  Maybe "traders so not exist early game and then start appearing as the game progresses" would be kinda fun (though never was in the game) and then the items do not have to he rebalanced (except dew collector filter?)

- i liked the concrete drying, because it was a punishment if you waited too long to upgrade to concrete on day 7, which i did a lot. It was another mechanic that you had to allocate time to that was not a bug deal unless you didn't plan ahead.

- caves. Randomly finding them, accidentally driving into them. On a large map with few cities, caves were a fun and sometimes necessary resource/overnight temp base vs "build another ugly wood box". I  was really hoping with the new RNG being worked on (and possible FPS improvements), decent caves would come back (not underneath POis). Its kinda a shame with a full voxel survival world (that does not have infinite map size)  how much underground "area" goes unexplored/unused. Making "big mountains and cracks is kinda a workaround, but finding random gen caves in those mountains and cracks would he awesome.

I so miss caves too but we are getting some cave pois in alpha 22 according to Laz,  and I do miss climbing zombies! I want those back it would change up tower defense a bit . Them to climb up and start damaging blocks. I hell I miss all of those aside from fog. 

I like dense fog every now and then but on console it was bad. And I started and still play console rarely

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Smell when holding meat and Other types of meat 

Maintenance on vehicles like checking tires, engine, battery, etc 

Iron tier of blocks

And more stuff to feel this game as real survival, the fear to be out there,of death, wood blocks to be able to burn. Some old ambient sounds from wasteland, bears and wolfes in the forest.

Hub city. The ruined lucked up place where looks like everything started. 

Yeah and the fog, where you can hear the zeds, but can't see them.

I miss learning by doing and more complex crafting processes with intermediate steps. I experienced both in the Undead Legacy mod and it was a lot of fun.

But what I've noticed more and more lately is that there don't seem to be any really big ore deposits anymore. I used to have huge mines that never ended. Now I have to keep opening new mines because I'm running out of ore. And building big in general is not that easy anymore. On the one hand, I have FPS drops despite better hardware, and the spawn radius of the zombies in the horde night is significantly smaller than it was back in A16.

6 minutes ago, Rotor said:

I started when A20 dropped, and have not downloaded/played any of the previous As. 

I miss the ability to get water from lakes/rivers, etc and bring back to boil..

I just think they changed it in the wrong way

They should make it harder to boil/clean. Not make it were jars don't exist.  Or hell even just lower the stack amount.  Like 5 

21 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I miss learning by doing and more complex crafting processes with intermediate steps. I experienced both in the Undead Legacy mod and it was a lot of fun.

But what I've noticed more and more lately is that there don't seem to be any really big ore deposits anymore. I used to have huge mines that never ended. Now I have to keep opening new mines because I'm running out of ore. And building big in general is not that easy anymore. On the one hand, I have FPS drops despite better hardware, and the spawn radius of the zombies in the horde night is significantly smaller than it was back in A16.

Some aspects of LBD I like 

Such as running, combat, mining etc. But some stuff was such a pain.  Like leatherworking, or tailoring. 

But I do like the perk system we have now tho.

And performance.. yes

Here's hoping a22 will be true about the performance updates

I feel obliged to say poo. I miss the poo! I miss throwing it, I miss filling boxes with it. It is the poo I miss the most.

I also miss spider zombies, smell counted when holding meat, and constantly combining weapons to get the highest level. Would carry a workbench on raids just so I could combine everything on site. Doing the quick math to find the most efficient way to get a level 6 from what you had.

To some extent I miss looting dead zombies. It was tedious, but you knew you could get a hoe from big momma when you needed one. I think that's what she dropped usually.

I miss the football players. The OMFG early game running at you in the daytime....always got me.

I would say:

• The Farming where the seeds stay planted. (I put that back with a modlet.)
  • Carrying water from water sources. (I put that back with a modlet.)
  • Some old versions of POIs. (I add them back with a modlet, but keep the updated ones of course.)

Generally speaking, everything I miss is still possible.

There are some old RWG outcomes that I would appreciate having as an option:

• Custom stamps had promise but they didn't all work and don't seem to work at all right now.
  • A single central city does sound appealing. I'd probably rather be able to specify exact numbers of cities, towns, country towns, western towns, rather than the vague "few, default, many" choices.

- Kinda miss fertilizing the ground and the satisfaction of setting up a farm the old way but dont hate current way either.

- I liked the gun parts system and slowly upgrading your gun and maintaining them separately. Hated finding gun safes and only getting parts somewhat though a mix of parts and full guns wouldve been ideal for me

- Upgrading and getting a better quality minibike and feeling the speed boost once you did.

- LBD was fun but dont hate current

-More outdoor zombies (I know i can mod), Inside was safe before now its safer outside which is weird to me. Even though I hated when you arrived at big POIs you'd just get a horde all stand up at once was bad gameplay, IF they could get hordes to tie to big POIs and wander close to it currently that would be amazing 

- HUGE wandering hordes that were happening during I think Alpha 17 Experimental, was super fun. They are just wandering small packs now, though i love the "packs" of military, dog, and even vulture flocks that can get thrown at you later now.

- I half miss the old zombie AI where hordes just wasnt a game of funnelling them. I remember building a small castle in A16 and they were just bashing from random sides and random spots, they were dumber/worse AI but they felt more like zombies. 

-Being cold in the snow, killing a lumber jack and taking his jacket. In fact all themed drops were cool (nurse dropping medical, lumberjack axes, cowboy revolvers. really feel it was a cool element)

I gotta admit, I miss LBD.  Valmod back in A16.4 had my favorite progression system in the game, where you had learn by doing for basically everything, and as you progressed in skills you unlocked new recipes.  I don't recall exactly what effected quality (whether it was a skill or a perk...I think a perk) and it had some issues since you can only get xp from workstations if you've got the workstation open when something finishes crafting.

Still, it was my favorite version of 7D2D.

Caves are what I miss the most.

Once while running from a wandering horde through the trees the ground broke underneath me and I fell a good 20' into water below. The horde is above me circling the hole and a few start falling in. Completely dark. I swim to the side and find my way to land and start to make my way out, only to be ambushed my some zombies in already in the cave. It was the most intense moments I have had playing in my 1000hrs+

3 minutes ago, warmer said:

Caves are what I miss the most.

Once while running from a wandering horde through the trees the ground broke underneath me and I fell a good 20' into water below. The horde is above me circling the hole and a few start falling in. Completely dark. I swim to the side and find my way to land and start to make my way out, only to be ambushed my some zombies in already in the cave. It was the most intense moments I have had playing in my 1000hrs+

Isnt there still some of this?  Atleast in A20 there was this one outhouse looking building.  I figure i stop in and relief myself and "CRACK" down I went.  No Zs were after me and none were down there, but I spent the night with splint on my leg, waiting for daylight so I could find a way out.  I was on pins and needles.

Edited by Rotor (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Isnt there still some of this?  Atleast in A20 there was this one outhouse looking building.  I figure i stop in and relief myself and "CRACK" down I went.  No Zs were after me and none were down there, but I spent the night with splint on my leg, waiting for daylight so I could find a way out.  I was on pins and needles.

There was a random gen cave system that was awesome, but it made the world gen take about double because of the way they have to create voids in the terrain. Some caves could literally be 1km long and water and groups of zeds in them. Also you found most ore in cave walls. The game had a different vibe. no ore nodes on the surface if I remember correctly.

You can mod them back in with SCore mod and tweaking a setting in the XML to include them in random world gen

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

1. Horror Ambient.

This could have been still available at least in Wasteland/Burnt Forest biomes as a slightly remixed and refreshed version.

2. Some of the old zombie models.

Simply nostalgia kicks in.

3. The Bee.

It is kind of strange but the mutated bee never felt way too off for me at least in the Wasteland biome. 

4. Caves.

Devs should have rather implemented caves as POIs instead of randomly generated undergrounds for better optimization perhaps?

5. Climbing zombie.

Since there is one that jumps very high, I guess the version of the mutated one that climbs (not a ceiling) only the walls wouldn't be way too off I guess.

More variety for the future, like mini-boss events, and zombies with abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Special Infected could instantly infect a player if he comes in contact but are easy to eliminate instead.

6. Huge wandering horders. Actually, why not keep them in more demanding biomes except for Forest?

7. Speed boost in vehicles as mentioned above with better car batteries.

Could be extended into handling at certain terrain, steering responsiveness, and so on perhaps someday in the future. 

8. More variety of biomes.

I believe that Devs might expand biomes into sub-biomes very easily, mainly for aesthetical purposes. Older alphas had more variety of biomes.

Some bread for thought.

The Forest biome might be split into:

Forest - dense forest as it is now,

Plains - meadows/farm fields, open spaces in general,

Mountains - rocky mountains with cliffs and valleys,

The Desert might be split into:

Semi-Desert environment as it is now with cacti and vast plains,

Sandy desert with burnt ground and open spaces,

Canyon areas with lots of cave systems.

Snow biome might be split into:

Snowy Liveable Areas as now,

Frozen Lakes with huge ice sheets/cliffs and cave systems in the ice,

Snowy High Peaks with valleys.

Westland biome might be divided into:

Radiated Zone - very difficult to survive without end-game/special equipment not obtainable in the early game and a mythical Hub City - should be like a holy grail and final destination with an end-game Trader, POI, or sth that would mark the end-game)

Burnt Forest  - like it used to be,

Rocky Area - dark as depths of hell with canyons, mountains, cliffs, and craters filled even with lava, enshrouded in thick fog - very unpleasant zone and difficult to survive in without mods but with excellent loot. 

I would love to discover more in the late game.

9. LearnByDoing - as an optional game/progression mode for 7DTD so players could give feedback in search of alternative solutions.

10. Old small POIs without loot crates.

I believe only trader missions should generate loot crates into POIs. I would rather have randomized loot crates with their random location in a given POI, or 3 possible locations. After 2000h spent in the game things are getting too obvious :D

11. Spawning into Wasteland and being blown by a random mine just at the edges of the biome, or being chased by a zombie dog after 5 min into a game...

Just kidding.

The biggest thing I miss is the old biomes,  they added more variety to the terrain generation; I also miss having caves.

I kind of miss how farming used to work as well.

Some of the old zombies such as football players, bees, and climbers.

I miss jars too, they were probably too numerous and easy to make, but being able to collect and boil water from lakes and rivers made sense.