What is some cut content you missed

If I had to pick one thing to bring back...it would probably be the weapon part system. That combined with the current mod system would be sweet.

Second thing would be item degradation.

Third would be...caves I guess. I much preferred finding ore that way than the surface crap we have now.

6 hours ago, bdubyah said:

Third would be...caves I guess. I much preferred finding ore that way than the surface crap we have now.

Yeah: I actually liked the old way of "random digging" or "find a way to accidentally find ore, before the ore markers showed up.back then when you found ore it was like "yessss!" And also: finding ores was an actual survival problem to solve. You chopped trees and used wood and cobblestone until you found a way to break into real iron production (you could always harvest items for some iron anyway). Now i literally dont care about finding ores past "oh, lets start minining i guess yawn (looks at the map and looks for the ore dots and picks an area nearby with a lot of them) yawn"

3 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Yeah: I actually liked the old way of "random digging" or "find a way to accidentally find ore, before the ore markers showed up.back then when you found ore it was like "yessss!" And also: finding ores was an actual survival problem to solve. You chopped trees and used wood and cobblestone until you found a way to break into real iron production (you could always harvest items for some iron anyway). Now i literally dont care about finding ores past "oh, lets start minining i guess yawn (looks at the map and looks for the ore dots and picks an area nearby with a lot of them) yawn"

That and those surface boulders could give you a little of each type so you could go around and hit each one to know what it had. I always went ham on those when I first got a decent pick just to mainly pile up some stone, but you'd also always end up with a decent stack of all the other ores as well.

Man, I forgot about this, but the older non-POI quests like "Cable Guys Never Made It", even if they were kinda dumbly simple.

Right now the game has a very narrow set of missions types and we need more back in there.

(there's a couple mods for this at least)

On 2/5/2024 at 5:05 PM, Ripflex said:

Glass Jars.

I'm 50/50 on those 

While I like it it wasn't done correctly.  It basically made water a second thought.  They should have made it stack too 1 rather then whatever number it was. 

But they should have also added more ways to get water maybe. The dew collector is the slowest but safer, while tiers like a water pump can lure zombies. 

5 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Man, I forgot about this, but the older non-POI quests like "Cable Guys Never Made It", even if they were kinda dumbly simple.

Right now the game has a very narrow set of missions types and we need more back in there.

(there's a couple mods for this at least)

That would be at least some neet little quest. Like darkness falls

13 hours ago, jte said:

I miss cheesing the skill system by crafting 99+ stone axes to level them up.

That's one of the reasons lbd was removed. 

15 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Caves are definitely a thing that should've stayed in. Especially in hilly areas it would be cool to have a base...

In the outside parts of areas with POIs, small towns, Cities, away from them. SI would cause stuff to happen, but if caves are randomly put under hills or mountains or plains it would be awesome. 

6 hours ago, beerfly said:

That's one of the reasons lbd was removed. 

In the outside parts of areas with POIs, small towns, Cities, away from them. SI would cause stuff to happen, but if caves are randomly put under hills or mountains or plains it would be awesome. 

I think that is already very nicely separated in the world gen, considering the towns are always 100% flat areas. Only thing that could cause issues would be geometry culling I think....

* Learn-by-doing: so much more immersive.  Skill books could be rather rare and used to unlock the next tier of skill.  Magazines and crafting notes would be more common and could be used to make a book - perhaps 4 notes/mags of the same skill could be use to make a skill book.   Tier one could be level 1-19, T2 is 20-40, T3 is 50-70, T4 is 80-100.  Exploits are easily overcome by limiting each crafted good to a certain tier.  Your stone axes would give less and less skill the closer you got to T2 and none once you unlocked it, although their quality would increase with tier mastery.  Many games use similar mechanics.

* Weapon parts.  Would like to see this come back and be expanded.  Many mods could be re-imagined as different types of parts, or still be mods built FROM manufactured parts.  Some mods simply shouldn't be craftable otherwise (laser sites, scopes above 2x power - basically stuff that relies on electrical components you can't field-produce, titanium steel, etc).  However, if we also brought back advanced tools, perhaps one for each type of crafting, then I could see people with nearly max skill building pre-apocalypse components on a limited basis.  Might need advanced workstations for this.

* Believable building material progression: cobblestone bars?  Really?  For mostly-solid, mostly-square blocks the progression could be wood frame > solid wood > cobblestone > iron plated wood > iron frame > concrete > steel-reinforced concrete > steel frame.  Blocks with really odd shapes or a lot of airspace in them would go wood > solid wood > iron frame > steel frame.  Most solid steel blocks really never made sense if you think about it but steel cladding would still be cool.  I could also see plastic being used this way: melt it down into thick plates and you've got something that's quire resistant to getting beat on (though not much use against bullets or bombs).

* This may have been a mod, I'm not positive..but I remember eons ago repairing individual components of vehicles.  It would be cool if tires, engine and other parts had separate durability.  Bonking into things would harm the frame, driving with turbo on would slowly wear on the engine, suspension (if it were added) would take damage from playing Dukes of Hazzard, etc.

* More challenge in finding ore: frankly, you'd be hard-pressed to find an iota of surface ore, other than the odd coal seam, anywhere near civilization.  If wish there was a prospecting skill or something that worked sort of like treasure finder (or whatever that perk is called).  You could have one for metals and another for minerals.  For multiplayer this makes your miners even more useful, although with solo play it might turn into a required skill.  I wish I could think of a happy medium.  At the very least I'd make those "ore boulders" extremely rare so you'd have to go looking for the actual ground patches.  If they could be hidden by grass, all the better.

* Aimable spotlights.  Again, this might have enabled by a mod. or its lack might even be a new bug, but I can't aim spotlights any more in camera mode.  I kind of wish we had auto-aiming robotic lights, too.  They could lock onto the first thing that enters their field of view.

* Caves.  I know there are some BIG underground POIs now (one I found was really tough to navigate).  But if the odd random cave could be made to appear that would be really cool.  The most logical spots for them would probably be cliffs.

* Glass Jars: I'm sorry, but they just make too much sense.  Logically the stacks should be small because their kinda bulky (I'm thinking 5), but not being able to collect or boil water is an immersion-killer.  In a true survival situation, if you have containers, a nearby water supply and half a brain, water is not an issue.  Melting them down for glass was also one of the more believable crafting recipes.

Learn by doing easily. No clue why they couldn't remove the silly stuff like spam crafting and just do a modified version like mods have done.

Farming system where you needed water and for more yield fertilizer.

The wellness system. I miss food and water being important since this is a survival game.

There are so many great things that used to be in the game which could have been kept instead of being replaced by a worse system. I'm happy the game is so easy to mod since modding seems to be where the fun and all the great features of 7dtd went. 

54 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I missed out on the Behemoths, but only because I saw people spawning them in or using them in mods.  Personally, I didn't care too much because I liked the game as it was.

haha...I just noticed that the op asked what old features we missed and not what old features we miss.

I've been fortunate to have experienced every iteration since the game released on Steam Early Access. While I do miss some features and wish they could be re-incorporated , I am just pleased to have been able to play for a while with each one. They all were fun in their own way-- including the present one. 

I actually miss some of the glitches that used to happen with the RWG.  At one point it created sheer cliffs where one step you were following a road through a town and the next you were staring down at the rest of the town below you some 50 meters below.  Grand times trying to figure out how to get down there without dying.  I don't remember if that overlapped caves but it made for some interesting hiding places for night time.