Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Now, does that apply to you as well?

Well no, but I'm a better communicator than @IzPrebuilt is. Thing is most of what he said does apply to me and broadly to a lot of others as well. I've been following him since he began, including his rants on Twitter, here and elsewhere and I tried to encapsulate his concerns in a way that he should have, because the lack of news lately is making it extra difficult to keep people engaged and someone really has to say it. 

Also, I get why your hackles went up by the way he put things, and I really don't fault you for your reaction. I was hoping to give you a better handle on it is all.

14 minutes ago, Neminsis said:

Well no, but I'm a better communicator than @IzPrebuilt is. Thing is most of what he said does apply to me and broadly to a lot of others as well. I've been following him since he began, including his rants on Twitter, here and elsewhere and I tried to encapsulate his concerns in a way that he should have, because the lack of news lately is making it extra difficult to keep people engaged and someone really has to say it. 

Also, I get why your hackles went up by the way he put things, and I really don't fault you for your reaction. I was hoping to give you a better handle on it is all.

It's not simply a matter of my hackles going up. Obviously, I didn't like the way he put things and I'm sure my annoyance came through in my answer. But there is a rule about doom and gloom in this particular forum and goodbye posting and for good reason. Posting doom and gloom does nothing but dampen spirits and goes contrary to the whole purpose of this site which is to support the game and express optimism in its success. Some people do that by offering constructive criticism which is fair and good because it can lead to changes for the better (at least for those criticizing). But some people go beyond criticizing into posting that the game is going to fail and/or is dead. That type of opinion is nonconstructive and results in a lot of bad feelings.

Goodbye posting is a form of doom and gloom where the player is stating that the game is dead to them. The problem with these posts is that it results in a whole bunch of posts that essentially say, "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out". There is nothing constructive about declaring you are leaving-- especially since in many cases it isn't even going to be true...

Anyway...I do understand how lack of news hurts those who are trying to create media based on the development of this game and when the most recent bit of news is a joke that would be frustrating.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

This works for a normal player but for a content creator things are a bit more complicated. If he no longer delivers the content his community wants to see then they will simply leave and look for someone else. And it's questionable whether a different game can attract new viewers. His Valheim videos have nowhere near the views that the 7 Days videos have.

That sounds like a him problem, not a TFP problem...

1 minute ago, bdubyah said:

That sounds like a him problem, not a TFP problem...

Unless TFP desires to support the content creators who are spreading their update news to a wider audience. If that is something TFP values then it is a TFP problem to that extent.

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

Unless TFP desires to support the content creators who are spreading their update news to a wider audience. If that is something TFP values then it is a TFP problem to that extent.

Well, yeah. I guess. But I meant it more in the sense of his channel supposedly laying in ruin due to TFP making their game, not his. That's not their concern and it shouldn't be. They have more than enough creators to spread A21 hype. 

Just now, bdubyah said:

Well, yeah. I guess. But I meant it more in the sense of his channel supposedly laying in ruin due to TFP making their game, not his. That's not their concern and it shouldn't be. They have more than enough creators to spread A21 hype. 

I agree with that. Plus, if you think about it here we have a content creator who feels that his audience is more loyal to the game than to him-- This seems to contradict the claim that the game is losing audience and everybody in the community is angry and giving up. In fact, the game is still capturing the attention of the masses to the degree that a content creator is literally trapped into continuing to play it even though he wants to change to a new game.

Next time someone tells me nobody cares about this game any more I'm going to tell them to talk to Izprebuilt...lol

21 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Either way, it's a frustrating situation for him. So I can understand his anger.

I can understand it being frustrating for him. I can't understand why he would come here and attack the devs over it. Again, it's his problem.

54 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

If the update is not out by end of March im gonna hit them where it hurts and cancel my subscription!

i just looked and you havent been paying for your 10 yr home here. i'll get with our finance department and see if she will process the full itemized bill for you freeloading here. :)

FYI - there will be steep interest rates!

58 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

If the update is not out by end of March im gonna hit them where it hurts and cancel my subscription!

At this point they'd be doing me a favor if they waited until early May to make an experimental version available. The semester would be over and I'd have grades turned in.

17 minutes ago, zztong said:

At this point they'd be doing me a favor if they waited until early May to make an experimental version available. The semester would be over and I'd have grades turned in.

Considering they said they were going to A22 this spring, I'm willing to bet you'll be waiting longer than May for A21. I'm thinking after 10 years, they've got no concept of development time.

...with the plethora of mods, I can't get behind the idea of giving a hoot about people's pre-A21 boredom.  I hear that Wasteland mod just had a big update, go play it until a21 comes out.  Plenty to stream then.

That being said, it appears the release is not going to be in March, based on the anecdotal evidence of past happenings.  If we were going to have a March release, they'd typically have begun the hype train.

8 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

i just looked and you havent been paying for your 10 yr home here. i'll get with our finance department and see if she will process the full itemized bill for you freeloading here. :)

FYI - there will be steep interest rates!

The Fun Pimps : easy to get in... impossible to get out! :spy:

12 hours ago, Roland said:

I agree with that. Plus, if you think about it here we have a content creator who feels that his audience is more loyal to the game than to him

I think it's more of a combination of both. If he were to change the way he plays, it would probably be just as damaging to his channel.