Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

28 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

NOT because I'm worried about my "ranking" at all.

I was just curious why someone would put a thumbs down on a joke.

But by asking you are making more out of it than it is. He didn't like your post, just accept it. If he wanted to explain (the rather obvious reason I might add) he would have done that probably.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:00 AM, bachgaman said:

I understand that the developers are not obliged and will not add everything that each player asks for. You didn't say that, did you? You argued that this will not happen for another reason. You said it would spoil the gaming experience. Because high level POIs don't spawn enough. But 25% of the loot is just "spoil" as 10,000% of the loot. These settings exist and someone plays with them. In addition, there are many obvious ways to make this setting so that they do not end, but the player will not be forced to sit in one place

Maintaining a manual list of completed POIs is totally ridiculous. This is a PC game, not a board game. You often have the same POI in different places, similar POIs, and so on. In addition, their list is very large, will you really check the name + coordinates of the trader's quest variants with the manual list in your notebook? What happens when none of them work for you? After all, the trader always gives tasks nearby, so this moment comes quickly

In addition, there is always the temptation to have time to run once again to that same T4 200 meters from the base before the blood moon. If you play survival games with hard settings with low loot, frequent moon and strong zombies, then you will understand. If you're used to playing default settings in "I like to kill zombies🙃" mode then why are you arguing

I said it wouldn't work well.  It isn't an issue with ruining the gaming experience.  It would be a setting and therefore wouldn't matter to anyone not interested in it.  The issue is that it won't work well at higher tier quests.  And the reason is that there are a limited number of them available.  The game will already send you 4+km away for a tier 5 quest if you aren't near a T5 city.  If the game were to go through all available quests first before doing them again, that would be fine.  But limiting it to once only leaves you with no quests very quickly, especially at tier 5, where there are often only 3-4 on the entire map.  The fix isn't limiting quests at each POI; it is increasing the number of POI so it doesn't feel so repetitive.  But that takes time and effort, especially at tier 5.

Also note that the traders send you to other traders specifically to get you to do quests in other locations rather than repeat ones nearby.  Most people seem to just complete that quest and then go back to the nearby trader rather than questing in other towns, but the hint is there.  I'll quest in every town to some extent and will get all traders to tier 5 even if I have to travel far to do it.  It is less repetitive that way, except at tier 5, which as mentioned has few POI on the entire map.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:00 AM, bachgaman said:

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

NOT because I'm worried about my "ranking" at all.

I was just curious why someone would put a thumbs down on a joke.

Perhaps they didn't share your sense of humor? I dunno.  One person's joke is sometimes taken as another person's insult. And then we get an unintended flare-up. Maybe they've had a bad day, or that last sip of gin and tonic was the trigger? Time for popcorn in that case, assuming there's a response.

13 hours ago, bachgaman said:

This does not change the fact that the trader is currently very poorly designed and ruins the game. 

This is the prison of your mind that you cannot see. In your mind you must "solve the problem in the most efficient way possible", but you don't enjoy this efficient method. This is why  to you, the traders are broken.

But to others, who aren't so focused on efficiency, traders send you places you normally might not go, and let you pick your reward rather than be at the whims of RNG (to a degree). It substantially improves the game for them and gives an otherwise pure sandbox game structure.

A bit of an personal anecdote. A friend and I both made it to the C Suite about the same time. He's a very driven person. He's all about money and prestige. After 4 years in the C suite, I decided to take an individual contributor role. It was a 30k pay cut. He was very sympathetic. Gave me all the platitudes that it's not for everyone, etc. But he never understood. In his mind, stepping back was an admission of failure. For me it was eye opening.

I'm far less stressed now than I was back then. My marriage has improved, I spend more time with my kids. He's divorced. But in his mind, that's not his failing. The "game" of relationships is broken. Women are attracted to high income earners, then divorce them - for half their money of course - because of the sacrifices needed to earn that money. 

This isn't an insult to you. If this is what you want, if this is what makes you happy, then by all means, internet stranger, I am not invested into your life, do as you please. But, as I said in my first reply, most people cannot see the prison of their own mind. I hope you see your bars, but if you don't no skin off my nose.

Edited by Pernicious
Double post - and fix some typos (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Jugom said:

not gonna lie. I'm a bit worried that December is here and we're still not even at Dev Streams stage.

Worried about what? That you will not get to play A21 during the Holiday? That isn't nothing to worry about that just sucks. It isn't like they are abandoning the game. It good they making sure it is in its best playable and visually looking state with as fewer bugs when they release. So that isn't nothing to worry about as that is a good thing. So must be about the holiday so again that just sucks but it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

Worried about what? That you will not get to play A21 during the Holiday? That isn't nothing to worry about that just sucks. It isn't like they are abandoning the game. It good they making sure it is in its best playable and visually looking state with as fewer bugs when they release. So that isn't nothing to worry about as that is a good thing. So must be about the holiday so again that just sucks but it is what it is. 

just because it's not something I'm gonna die from, doesn't mean I can't worry about it. Once it's 100% confirmed it won't come for the holidays, it will suck. while it's uncertain, it's just worrisome. 🤭

4 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

Worried about what? That you will not get to play A21 during the Holiday? That isn't nothing to worry about that just sucks. It isn't like they are abandoning the game. It good they making sure it is in its best playable and visually looking state with as fewer bugs when they release. So that isn't nothing to worry about as that is a good thing.

MAAAA!!

That plate thing fell off the boiler again!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

All I'll say is each their own. To many things in this world to worry about then if an update to a game comes before a certain date. Especially with a development team that always works as hard and best they can to get the work done as soon and as good as they currently can. So just my opinion that it will suck if it isn't out by the holiday not I'm worried that it won't be. *shrug* 

1 hour ago, Diragor said:

Imagine your life being so boring and uninteresting, that you cry about a release Date 🥱

it's done when it's done. DO something else while waiting for it. Go to the gym for example ;)

Prime has released a Half-Life mod you can use in the meantime, while you wait.

It was developed as a "side project". :heh:

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Diragor said:

Imagine your life being so boring and uninteresting, that you cry about a release Date 🥱

it's done when it's done. DO something else while waiting for it. Go to the gym for example ;)

I agree completely i'm back here 1 or 2 times per weeks for read the comment and i dont need to name them they know. They're here 10 times per day for cry about a release date that change absolutely nothing. (Its done when its done) and i respect that anyway alpha 20 is very fun for me.

5 hours ago, Burrfly said:

Hi everyone I'm curious to see how this game will become. I just wanted to mention out one thing.

Don't make the same mistake as a lot of devs do which is focussing on graphics and visuals instead of mechanics and (new) interactive features. We don't care if something VISUAL is in detail or hyperrealistic. Btw I actually hate visual hyperrealism. We rather have cool new gameplay mechanics! :D Thank you for reading

This has been explained to death... :deadhorse:

Don't worry, the guys who work on graphical stuff ARE NOT the guys who work on "features" and mechanics.

So, basically, we can eat the cake and have it too! :caked:

23 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

Speaking of RWG, have there been any notable changes to it for a21? Maybe more river stuff instead of those perfect S stamps we have now? Or anything done to make wilderness POIs placement/roads better?

I suspect we might be waiting for Teragon tbh

28 minutes ago, 3467542 said:

at what point are you going to stop worrying so much about how I chose to play the game, and fix the @%$#ING BUGS.  I STILL have building collapse if I dig 100 blocks below them in the ground.  LIKE HOW LONG TO FIX THIS!  It been like how many @%$#ing "alpha's now".  You are so god damn concerned with "oh you found an exploit, we can't have you playing our game this way are that way.  You waste AS MUCH @%$#ING TIME, on stupid @%$#.  CLEAN THIS UP ALREADY!!!!!

I believe that is the design. 
this is what I understand about stability and someone correct me if I’m wrong.

100% stability to any block that has an undisturbed path to the bedrock. This doesn’t mean you need to frame to bedrock it means there need to be a “block” of anything to the bedrock.

As gaps happen the stability is reduced so if you are building a sizable area under the supports of your base they will be weakened. 
Try building stairs or a ramp so your underground area is away from your base area.

19 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

If we're asking for RWG features... could the "AllowedBiomes" XML property make a return? In A19 this was how POI designers could limit which biomes a POI would spawn into, but AFAIK this isn't possible in A20. It was a very good feature and I'm not sure why it was removed.

Just because. Like tons of other features.

Also shh, why do you care, prob an overhaul is coming in a22.. and most likely a23 (so 2024 and 2026), cos you know, a decade is nowhere near enough time to settle on how should the main components of the game work :oo

32 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

If we're asking for RWG features... could the "AllowedBiomes" XML property make a return? In A19 this was how POI designers could limit which biomes a POI would spawn into, but AFAIK this isn't possible in A20. It was a very good feature and I'm not sure why it was removed.

My guess is it might have led to a scarcity of POIs available in some city districts, and perhaps some other parts of the world.

But yes, I do miss the ability to put "destroyed" versions of my POIs into the wasteland only.