Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

I can tell you what my concerns are as a single player. As a single player I have to decide how to spend my time.

If I spend two in-game weeks building a large base in A20, then I can use the XP I get to unlock new recipes through the skill tree or make a better quality of what I have already unlocked. For example, if you put your points into Advanced Engineering, you can unlock the recipes for the traps that you can use to defend the base you are building.

In A21, after the two weeks of building, I will not have unlocked any additional recipes, nor will I be able to craft better quality equipment. If you' re cynical, you might say that the two weeks of work are wasted time.

Idk what to say. ultimatley the solution may be to adapt to the A21 changes I.e do a quest or 2 every day then spend the rest of the time building, or only build at night. at some point or another you will have to quest or loot buildings

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Idk what to say. ultimatley the solution may be to adapt to the A21 changes I.e do a quest or 2 every day then spend the rest of the time building, or only build at night. at some point or another you will have to quest or loot buildings

Of course I will adapt, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

At some point I'll probably start making mods to save at least some of what made the game appealing to me when I started back in A15. Maybe I create quests that drop me random magazines when I mine a certain amount of resources or upgrade blocks. I will see then.

28 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

At some point I'll probably start making mods to save at least some of what made the game appealing to me when I started back in A15. Maybe I create quests that drop me random magazines when I mine a certain amount of resources or upgrade blocks. I will see then.

So, you basically go back to my previous point with the other guy. Your play style is to always stay in the same area, level up to lvl.100 just by building, and never loot, never do quests, never explore. Yet, you like being able to have every tool/weapon/workstation in the game just by clicking on the level up buttons, am I right?

I mean, if that's what you're looking for, it's no wonder that you don't like the game as it is, or that you like A21 plans even worse.

As I said before: looting, questing and exploring are an integral part of this game... why did you even buy it if you don't like that? :suspicious:

I mean, everyone is entitled to play as they like, but here we're talking about you trying to play "car washer" in a racing game! :confused2:

They beauty is complete: those who don't like the new changes can play on the older alpha. They have the game they want. No need to be mad about it.

There are a couple things to be said for the never-ending alpha state: the devs keep their jobs/career; and the players get an MMO-style constant stream of updates and content.

I was dubious reading the notes on Reddit, then found it positive, and am now enthusiastic about the upcoming changes. I would push to say, "never finish the game," but feel really sorry for console players. At some point, you guys will have to update console, no matter the "alpha state."

Well when the farming changes in A20 came out, some mod makers didn't like that so they changed back to old farming in there mods, I am sure once A21 comes out , people will makes mods to bring back A20 crafting in A21

9 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

So, you basically go back to my previous point with the other guy. Your play style is to always stay in the same area, level up to lvl.100 just by building, and never loot, never do quests, never explore. Yet, you like being able to have every tool/weapon/workstation in the game just by clicking on the level up buttons, am I right?

No, I do quests. I loot but it is not my favorite activity. 

16 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I mean, if that's what you're looking for, it's no wonder that you don't like the game as it is, or that you like A21 plans even worse.

As I said before: looting, questing and exploring are an integral part of this game... why did you even buy it if you don't like that? :suspicious:

I mean, everyone is entitled to play as they like, but here we're talking about you trying to play "car washer" in a racing game! :confused2:

When I started in A15 you didn't have to scavenge as much. On the contrary, the loot came to you in the form of zombies. You only needed a base that allowed you to collect the loot after the horde.

That focus shifted later to looting and exploring. So I bought a game that allowed me to do what I enjoyed and it moved further and further away from that.

And by the way, there were no trader quests in A15. These were implemented in A17.

To stick with your comparison. I didn't buy a racing game but a race team game where you are not only the driver but also the mechanic and the guy that washes the car.

Building, mining and manufacturing are also integral parts of the game but you never mention them because they are not important to you personally.

I wonder how you would have reacted if MadMole had decided that in A21 you can only unlock recipes and increase the quality by upgrading blocks or mining resources.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

I can tell you what my concerns are as a single player. As a single player I have to decide how to spend my time.

If I spend two in-game weeks building a large base in A20, then I can use the XP I get to unlock new recipes through the skill tree or make a better quality of what I have already unlocked. For example, if you put your points into Advanced Engineering, you can unlock the recipes for the traps that you can use to defend the base you are building.

In A21, after the two weeks of building, I will not have unlocked any additional recipes, nor will I be able to craft better quality equipment. If you' re cynical, you might say that the two weeks of work are wasted time.

This is why I suggested it might be better to have lower levels in the skills, AND the ability to purchase with skill points. That way, players have options.

But I guess we'll wait and see how it plays out. ATM, I don't like it, but I DO like the UI change. Can we get that for perks as well please? That would be amazing for us modders who have perks unlock recipes. I can have the icons be displayed. :D

23 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

This is why I suggested it might be better to have lower levels in the skills, AND the ability to purchase with skill points. That way, players have options.

But I guess we'll wait and see how it plays out. ATM, I don't like it, but I DO like the UI change. Can we get that for perks as well please? That would be amazing for us modders who have perks unlock recipes. I can have the icons be displayed. :D

im not sure how they would do this with the current one skill point per level system the only things i can think of is that they give you 2 points per level or give you an entirely different currency maybe knowledge points that are strictly used for the new perks

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

Building, mining and manufacturing are also integral parts of the game but you never mention them because they are not important to you personally.

No. I didn't mention them because those are not the ones that you hate.

No, I do quests. I loot but it is not my favorite activity. 

Then you can live with limited looting to gain better tools and schematics, I guess.

20 hours ago, Guppycur said:

I've been slowly modding features in, but I was wondering about fast travel/portals?

I know you're asking the Devs but I think portals to other maps/servers would be cool. I'm not really into fast-travel within a map, but others might be.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

portals to other maps/servers would be cool

Though I’ve heard on the forums long ago this isn’t going to be a vanilla feature ..I think it would be amazing if this could be done in the vanilla game as then you could make very very small handcrafted maps and special mods (per server) so you could essentially chain portals together and make a “full story with endgame”. Instead of making a mod or a poi, modders could make these and a map to go with it, with full unique quest chains per map. Like start out on a small map with a few cabins, survive long enough to get materials to open the portal (or build a bridge to it, find the chest with the key, etc) and then grab whatever items you think you need and zip off to the next area, with new creatures/zeds/buildings. Handling “items on you” and new maps might be “a challenge” but if nothing else you could just have a chained set of maps and all of them have the same mods, you just add zed mods as you progress. Or “lose all modded items” on transport so all you can bring is vanilla content when you jump over (a little less exciting). 

Add the ability to put multiple portals down on a map.. and you get a full “choose your own adventure” possibility.

Yes I wrote all of this to hopefully convince devs/the powers that be to maybe think about it :)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

6 hours ago, RipClaw said:

You would still need to go looting to obtain some of the ingredients for your crafts though (e.g. electrical/mechanical/weapon/armor parts).

However, I can see how the change would have you looting more then previously.

I get that you enjoy not having to go out but was that ever the case in any alpha?  As far as I can remember, we always had to go out and loot materials.  One could argue that if looting was not needed, why even have POIs at all?

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

You would still need to go looting to obtain some of the ingredients for your crafts though (e.g. electrical/mechanical/weapon/armor parts).

However, I can see how the change would have you looting more then previously.

I get that you enjoy not having to go out but was that ever the case in any alpha?  As far as I can remember, we always had to go out and loot materials.  One could argue that if looting was not needed, why even have POIs at all?

Not rly - before steel parts you could just make good tool without going anywhere - just mining and cutting trees. 

"One could argue that if looting was not needed, why even have POIs at all?" and that's simple - for setting. 

If you played on verruct in COD  WaW and then played on verruct in  ZC you could see how "outside" map looks better because there is more tanks, houses, this same thing with Gorod krovi ( flying dragons, planes, destroyed buildings).  This same thing with NZA - a lot of buidling are "empty " but it's so nice go inside and just check how looks like - dead corpses , military stuff, piano, writings on wall, propaganda pictures. And even without looting some POI can be good base - just change few things and it will be much cheaper that  making base 100% by yourself

2 hours ago, zztong said:

I know you're asking the Devs but I think portals to other maps/servers would be cool. I'm not really into fast-travel within a map, but others might be.

nope xd just nope

18 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Not rly - before steel parts you could just make good tool without going anywhere - just mining and cutting trees. 

"One could argue that if looting was not needed, why even have POIs at all?" and that's simple - for setting. 

If you played on verruct in COD  WaW and then played on verruct in  ZC you could see how "outside" map looks better because there is more tanks, houses, this same thing with Gorod krovi ( flying dragons, planes, destroyed buildings).  This same thing with NZA - a lot of buidling are "empty " but it's so nice go inside and just check how looks like - dead corpses , military stuff, piano, writings on wall, propaganda pictures. And even without looting some POI can be good base - just change few things and it will be much cheaper that  making base 100% by yourself

nope xd just nope

Thats a very shallow reason to have POIs especially since our POIs are fully explorable.  Biased opinion here...but I love how the game requires you to go out to POIs for one reason or another.  If we didn't need to go to POIs and it was just an optional visual aesthetic, the game would be less engaging imo.

Edit: I would also argue some of the examples you mentioned are not really POIs (points of interest).  Rather just filler decorations that the player sees as they travel through.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

You didn't have to loot as much current Alpha. You could craft a lot of things yourself. Loot also came to you since virtually every zombie dropped loot. In addition, the zombies delivered bones and rotten meat which could be processed into glue and fertilizer. You could say there were simpler times :)

6 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

You didn't have to loot as much current Alpha. You could craft a lot of things yourself. Loot also came to you since virtually every zombie dropped loot. In addition, the zombies delivered bones and rotten meat which could be processed into glue and fertilizer. You could say there were simpler times :)

Haha, you are not wrong.  There was some fun to be had back in the day with the self sustaining loot hordes.  That iteration of the game was probably closer to the pure tower defense genre compared to other Alphas.

On one hand, its cool to see the devs have the freedom to try different ideas for the game through early access.  A testbed of ideas in a way.

On the other it can be a tough up/down emotional Rollercoaster for players to see a mechanic removed/replaced for another from one alpha to another.

Hey TFPs, first post here but I'm a long-time player (~1500 hours). I have some thoughts/suggestions I'd like to share for A21 and the future of the game. Long post but please at least read the first 4; they're easy tweaks that will almost certainly be improvements:

1. In regards to the alpha 21 talk about magazines--that's awesome, I'm 100% on board. It will dramatically improve how enjoyable it is to loot grind. Currently crafting gets a bit boring after ~lvl 30 b/c after you get the first and only book that gives you a skill, that's it. You're done and never need that book again. So after around level 30 or so, you pretty much have everything in the game. This will make it worth going out to loot & do more stuff; it's a good change!

2. ↑ THAT SAID--I personally think you should go back to making combat skills only based on learn-by-doing. I.e. you get better with bows by using bows, and as your character levels up you get points that can be spent on perks that modify/give you new abilities with bows. Think of the learn-by-doing aspect as like the "base skill" for a certain combat type, and the perks open up as you gain skill in that combat type. In the current game set-up, this would be comparable to leveling up the "Attribute: Agility" skill by killing zeds with knives & arrows, then unlocking more perks to spend skill points on in that tree as the Agility Attribute levels up. I think a lot of people don't like the idea of spending magical points to master a weapon you've never touched before overnight, just because you have the skill points available.

3. The next thing to work on is the questing. The tier 4 & 5 quests get repetitive after a while because there are so few of them. You should add something to make it worth going back to the tier 1-3's (like maybe "elite" versions of those quests where you get much harder zeds, or increased number of zeds in exchange for better rewards).

4. You should add an extra-difficult quest between each quest tier that is required before you move on to the next tier. One thought is to have to defend the trader outpost against a zed horde. This would slow progression and expand long-term playability b/c you'd have to prepare for the quest before tackling it, rather than blasting through all the tiers & essentially beating the game before day 14.

----↑ Stuff to consider sooner rather than later ↑----

----↓ Longer-term stuff that can wait a bit ↓----

5. Bring back/elaborate on "defend the location" quests. Hordes are awesome, and we want more of them. It's a lot more fun to play against large NUMBERS of zombies as opposed to a small number of bullet-sponge zombies. I know that's hard to accomplish computing-power-wise without optimization, but it would be a fantastic addition to the game (a zombie "horde" of 10 isn't really a zombie horde. Not a threat. A zombie horde of 100 all at once is worth taking seriously).

6. Give us more customizability and gameplay modes/options. For example, the "more dangerous cities" and "wandering hordes" mods are awesome; they really add a challenge to the game that isn't there anymore in vanilla. Give us the option to customize stuff like that without needing mods!

7. Add larger variety in quest types. As suggestion 5 said, "defend the location" quests would be great. Other options include some kind of "repair the building/fortify" quest, a "sneak only/remain undetected" quest, a "find these ingredients & I'll give you something cool" quest, a "boss-zombie hunt" quest, or any number of other things. Maybe a "timed completion parkour" quest in the form of saving someone who's trapped?

8. Add more rare, loot-only items to the endgame. They should leave all the essential stuff like guns as crafting or trader-based, but add some random rare items that you can get in no other way except high-end quest rewards and rare loot box rewards. Stuff like special clothing items, the drone (I think the cargo mods are OP), maybe a special vehicle, a katana, ultra rare but cool skill perk books, a dog companion, and some easter-eggs. And I really want a lawn-mower added to the game.

9.  Add some rare environmental hazards. Lightning-strikes, radiation, tornados, locusts, rabbits that eat your crops, food rot/decay, etc. Heck, maybe even rainbows--Just gives the game some variety.

10. Greater zombie attack variety--zeds that infect with a single hit, zeds that grab you & slow you down, zombie children, zombie elderly, zeds with specific weak spots or requiring different tactics to beat, dessicated/barely moving zeds that look like corpses but attack if you get too close, rare/boss zombies, maybe some tunneling zeds, you get the idea. The most important thing in a zombie game is... the zombies. Can't let them get boring, so give them variety!

11 minutes ago, ISPARTACUSI said:

9.  Add some rare environmental hazards. Lightning-strikes, radiation, tornados, locusts, rabbits that eat your crops, food rot/decay, etc. Heck, maybe even rainbows--Just gives the game some variety.

Some environmental effects have been increased with Alpha 20 and I really enjoy that direction. The darker A20 lighting during the current storms is very welcome.

In Anarchy Online, some storms could develop that were literal howling screams of ferocity. I remember a few thunder-dust storms so wild that we couldn't see, couldn't hear anything, and felt a threat to our puny mortal existences. I really hope TFP carry their changes even further. 

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Thats a very shallow reason to have POIs especially since our POIs are fully explorable.  Biased opinion here...but I love how the game requires you to go out to POIs for one reason or another.  If we didn't need to go to POIs and it was just an optional visual aesthetic, the game would be less engaging imo.

Edit: I would also argue some of the examples you mentioned are not really POIs (points of interest).  Rather just filler decorations that the player sees as they travel through.

1. And that's lottery you don't know if this bunker will be eastetic one or loot one and this totaly logical --> i think most burned houses would be  just even too dangeroues to get inside. NZA doing good thing - you can go inside but mostly time you don't have reasons why (except looking for gold bars to get achivment )

2. Yes and no - when you see tank and corpses you think it will be something there but this place is empty, you see building you are looking for ammo but it's just empty - only furnitures.  And that's soo cool -- not every building need enemies or loot. There are just empty as it should because most building and places should be just empty 

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I don't understand why people need to say things like "your idea is garbage".  Sure you may not like the idea, but it is just a difference of an opinion.

I for one would like tools and equipment to have a limited durability.  If the TFPs have the same vision, Great!  If not, that is fine.  But we should always agree to disagree in a civil manner rather than calling someone's ideas garbage just because we disagree.

/ quietly checks to make sure I didn't call someone's idea garbage in the past instead of just disagreeing with them

I like this idea really.  I started out initially removing the ability to repair T0 equipment, but lately been thinking of expanding it to all tiers of equipment.  Having your equipment break in your hands if you use it too much adds a lot more excitement in a fight for your life; and makes you have to plan ahead - Do I use a spot to take a backup weapon or risk my weapon having enough durability to last me until I get back to my base?

I love the idea of finite weapon/tool durability. That being said, I think there's two ways I would go about it:

1. You can repair it, but only so many times before durability reaches a certain low point where it can't be repaired anymore
  2. or don't let me repair it, but durability needs to scale with quality AND overall needs to last longer. I feel like tools degrade rather quickly as it is, but it's not a problem because I can repair it as many times as I want. I feel like it would be super frustrating to have irreparable tools/weapons that degrade as fast as they currently do.

Also, as I was thinking about this, I was wondering do tools degrade faster when using the power attack? Or when using the wrong tool (i.e. using a fire ax to harvest metal)?

2 hours ago, ISPARTACUSI said:

Hey TFPs, first post here but I'm a long-time player (~1500 hours). I have some thoughts/suggestions I'd like to share for A21 and the future of the game. Long post but please at least read the first 4; they're easy tweaks that will almost certainly be improvements:

1. In regards to the alpha 21 talk about magazines--that's awesome, I'm 100% on board. It will dramatically improve how enjoyable it is to loot grind. Currently crafting gets a bit boring after ~lvl 30 b/c after you get the first and only book that gives you a skill, that's it. You're done and never need that book again. So after around level 30 or so, you pretty much have everything in the game. This will make it worth going out to loot & do more stuff; it's a good change!

2. ↑ THAT SAID--I personally think you should go back to making combat skills only based on learn-by-doing. I.e. you get better with bows by using bows, and as your character levels up you get points that can be spent on perks that modify/give you new abilities with bows. Think of the learn-by-doing aspect as like the "base skill" for a certain combat type, and the perks open up as you gain skill in that combat type. In the current game set-up, this would be comparable to leveling up the "Attribute: Agility" skill by killing zeds with knives & arrows, then unlocking more perks to spend skill points on in that tree as the Agility Attribute levels up. I think a lot of people don't like the idea of spending magical points to master a weapon you've never touched before overnight, just because you have the skill points available.

3. The next thing to work on is the questing. The tier 4 & 5 quests get repetitive after a while because there are so few of them. You should add something to make it worth going back to the tier 1-3's (like maybe "elite" versions of those quests where you get much harder zeds, or increased number of zeds in exchange for better rewards).

4. You should add an extra-difficult quest between each quest tier that is required before you move on to the next tier. One thought is to have to defend the trader outpost against a zed horde. This would slow progression and expand long-term playability b/c you'd have to prepare for the quest before tackling it, rather than blasting through all the tiers & essentially beating the game before day 14.

----↑ Stuff to consider sooner rather than later ↑----

----↓ Longer-term stuff that can wait a bit ↓----

5. Bring back/elaborate on "defend the location" quests. Hordes are awesome, and we want more of them. It's a lot more fun to play against large NUMBERS of zombies as opposed to a small number of bullet-sponge zombies. I know that's hard to accomplish computing-power-wise without optimization, but it would be a fantastic addition to the game (a zombie "horde" of 10 isn't really a zombie horde. Not a threat. A zombie horde of 100 all at once is worth taking seriously).

6. Give us more customizability and gameplay modes/options. For example, the "more dangerous cities" and "wandering hordes" mods are awesome; they really add a challenge to the game that isn't there anymore in vanilla. Give us the option to customize stuff like that without needing mods!

7. Add larger variety in quest types. As suggestion 5 said, "defend the location" quests would be great. Other options include some kind of "repair the building/fortify" quest, a "sneak only/remain undetected" quest, a "find these ingredients & I'll give you something cool" quest, a "boss-zombie hunt" quest, or any number of other things. Maybe a "timed completion parkour" quest in the form of saving someone who's trapped?

8. Add more rare, loot-only items to the endgame. They should leave all the essential stuff like guns as crafting or trader-based, but add some random rare items that you can get in no other way except high-end quest rewards and rare loot box rewards. Stuff like special clothing items, the drone (I think the cargo mods are OP), maybe a special vehicle, a katana, ultra rare but cool skill perk books, a dog companion, and some easter-eggs. And I really want a lawn-mower added to the game.

10. Greater zombie attack variety--zeds that infect with a single hit, zeds that grab you & slow you down, zombie children, zombie elderly, zeds with specific weak spots or requiring different tactics to beat, dessicated/barely moving zeds that look like corpses but attack if you get too close, rare/boss zombies, maybe some tunneling zeds, you get the idea. The most important thing in a zombie game is... the zombies. Can't let them get boring, so give them variety!

I agree with number 2, combat skills should be learn by doing and that determines how high you can take the combat perks instead of it being stat locked, would fix a big issue I have with the game now as I hate the fact weapon perks that up damage and weapon effectiveness is locked to stats

1 hour ago, Syphon583 said:

Also, as I was thinking about this, I was wondering do tools degrade faster when using the power attack? Or when using the wrong tool (i.e. using a fire ax to harvest metal)?

It doesn't look like they degrade faster when using power attack (there is only one entry for DegradationPerUse.  It might be possible to add a different rate of degradation for using power attacks.

As for the second part, there is nothing in the code to penalize the player for using a fire axe to harvest stone.  However, you already have an indirect penalty as it will take more hits with an axe than with a pickaxe to mine stone (so more uses = more degradation).

Edit - Want to clarify in case someone reads it not the way I intended to state it

You are not penalized with an additional degradation lost if you are using an iron axe to mine stone.  There is already penalty in the code to reduce block damage against stone with the iron axe

<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_add" value="-.75" tags="stone"/>

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

On 5/19/2022 at 1:23 AM, Roland said:

The outfit sets are not implemented yet. I don’t think they are canceled.

...but, maybe...just maybe they will be! 😃

Keep the same number of slots though, and I'll vote for it!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

There are some potential consequences 

Yay! More exploding/fire/new options = good!

5 hours ago, ISPARTACUSI said:

3. The next thing to work on is the questing. The tier 4 & 5 quests get repetitive after a while because there are so few of them.

I wonder if it would be easier/beneficial to just copy the big POIs and not make a lot of changes (though that would be kinda fun, making them unique) but instead move the spawn volumes around, so you don’t know where they are based on how the building looks anymore. If they were redesigned a little just to move the loot rooms around (or not always have a final one near the top) this would make each one unique and still make you run through all of it. 

My current gripe with the flashlight: It never dropped early game for me in A20 like they did in A19, they felt way more common in Alpha 19 and in A20 they became scarce and useless by the time I found them, at the point I found some they were only useful for mod crafting, granted I really like weapon/helmet lights and I don't mind flashlights being used to craft them.