Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

11 hours ago, P3rf3ctVZer0 said:

This solution sucks. Smaller is worse for a number of reasons.

One I have bad Eye sight so now the ability to have more perks is limited to eye sight as well.

Two this is a very dirty solution that also involves making things harder to navigate.

Three XML will only take you so far.

Four this is a very easily fixed arbitrary limitation from the Developers end.

Yeah, it's very easily fixed.

With XML.

Like I said. You don't need to mess with C# or anything like that. If you don't want smaller icons, then move the window to the left and make it bigger so you don't need to mess with the icons. You can do ALL of this with XML.

I'm not being funny, but stop inventing issues that can be easily fixed by you. 

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

Not sure if this is the place for suggestions, or if it's been made, but small request on the new crafting XP setup:

Basic:

- When scrapping a weapon, provide a small amount of crafting XP to that tree

Ideal: (probably not as easy to implement to existing system)

- Very low XP (or none?) given to lower-level items (ranked lower than highest crafting level for that weapon), large XP given for dismantling items higher than maximum crafting level --- alternatively, dismantled items would only provide XP to various stages of the crafting XP... ie: pipe weapons would provide XP until maximum crafting level for Pipe weapons s unlocked, then provide none.

- No XP given for dismantling items that are crafted (like Pipe weapons - maybe an internal flag on all items that have bene player crafted) to prevent 'XP grinding by crafting', still keeping "XP by Loot" as the goal.

- Intellect Perk tree could provide bonus % XP to dismantling items (could synergize well with Loot+ skills for interesting character builds) -- "would level faster, and be a 'jack of all trades' when crafting, compared to others in becoming the 'blacksmith' for the camp"

- Magazine system would still provide the most (and guaranteed at ANY crafting level) XP to each tree.... meaning to get 100/100 crafting, you almost certainly need to find those magazines, but early on, you can find a bit more abundance of low-tier loot to help tide you along until the loot-find bonuses kick in significantly for each tree.

Reason:

ie: instead of just getting some scrap metal by dismantling those lvl 1 pistols you loot around but will never use, you can at least 'gain some knowledge' by picking them apart with keen interest.

2 hours ago, Kiernan531 said:

It overall feels like a completely different, and ultimately better, game.

For you, sure. That is exactly the role of mods and especially overhaul mods. They change the experience, and anyone whose way of having fun meshes well with the changes, will feel like they are playing the best version of the game. We are very pleased that people are modding the game and others are enjoying those mods and getting an experience that matches up better with their desires. It is exactly why we have always encouraged modding.

Since you love Darkness Falls so much I'm not really certain why you care whether the crafting system for the vanilla game goes under another iteration. You obviously don't play the vanilla version any longer so is it just that you don't like seeing others playing those changes as you watch from afar?

As to your concerns, I can assure you that the perks are being changed to allow for the loss of crafting from their benefits. They will not remain the same as they have been but just minus the crafting recipes. As for the time and the journey of developing your character and learning the recipes, the pace of that process is going to appeal differently to everyone. Some people really enjoy a slow progression where you start out with primitive materials and build primitive bases making do with what you have until sometime later in the game the best materials are available and you have all the best tools. This change will be great for them because they will just play the game and over the course of game weeks will get better and better and be able to do more and more. Others like a faster pace and want to get started on their final mega-base as soon as possible and feel like they can't really get started until they have the best equipment and are max perked in the right categories.

So, yes, it is going to take a lot of time and a lot of magazines to completely max out and if you are the type that doesn't like to start playing until after you've maxed yourself out, then either simply use the creative menu to get yourself all the mags you need to enjoy the game or play a mod that increases the pacing and method of getting kitted out quickly so you can start your mega base sooner.

Since you love mods anyway and aren't shy about using them, whatever the vanilla game does or does not do really has very little effect on you. Peace. Play Darkness Falls and ignore the change.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:52 PM, Uncle Al said:

Very interested to see how Madmole has developed the initial ideas he bandied around, so thanks for the heads up.

I am concerned that it's almost impossible to get a decent crafting system without revisiting other systems.  Tools is the most glaring example.  Madmole stated he wanted to, quite logically, have a system where the skill required to craft a Q4 stone axe would let you craft a Q2 iron axe, and so on.

This is great were it not for the fact that, because block hp are standard and block damage has no randomisation, iron tools are almost always a bad choice anyway.  If you have to drop a couple of quality levels in the process there will never be a reason to make them.

Shovels showcase this the best - once your shovel plus mods plus miner 69 skill have you doing 100 points of damage to soil, there is no reason to change to a slower swinging, stamina draining iron shovel unless that pushes your damage to 200, because the important thing is swings per block destroyed, not raw dps.  I don't even think hitting 200 damage a swing is possible with iron, so you ignore iron and go straight from stone to steel.  There is an edge case for moving up to 125 damage if you're clearing a lot of topsoil, but it's pretty niche.

There's some other changes that I think have to happen, but they're mostly within crafting itself (like being able to craft top quality because then finding parts gives you a slow second route into finding Q6 items with better random stats that your current one and makes mid-endgame crafting actually useful) but as they're all actually crafting related I'll wait to see what the actual proposal is on those.

Yeah, I never liked the negatives associated with using more efficient tools.  There should be no downside from going from stone tools to iron or steel.

The stamina usage (per unit of resource) should always be lower when using more efficient tools.  I can see some minimum strength level for the metal pickaxe however.

9 hours ago, Roland said:

For you, sure. That is exactly the role of mods and especially overhaul mods. They change the experience, and anyone whose way of having fun meshes well with the changes, will feel like they are playing the best version of the game. We are very pleased that people are modding the game and others are enjoying those mods and getting an experience that matches up better with their desires. It is exactly why we have always encouraged modding.

Since you love Darkness Falls so much I'm not really certain why you care whether the crafting system for the vanilla game goes under another iteration. You obviously don't play the vanilla version any longer so is it just that you don't like seeing others playing those changes as you watch from afar?

As to your concerns, I can assure you that the perks are being changed to allow for the loss of crafting from their benefits. They will not remain the same as they have been but just minus the crafting recipes. As for the time and the journey of developing your character and learning the recipes, the pace of that process is going to appeal differently to everyone. Some people really enjoy a slow progression where you start out with primitive materials and build primitive bases making do with what you have until sometime later in the game the best materials are available and you have all the best tools. This change will be great for them because they will just play the game and over the course of game weeks will get better and better and be able to do more and more. Others like a faster pace and want to get started on their final mega-base as soon as possible and feel like they can't really get started until they have the best equipment and are max perked in the right categories.

So, yes, it is going to take a lot of time and a lot of magazines to completely max out and if you are the type that doesn't like to start playing until after you've maxed yourself out, then either simply use the creative menu to get yourself all the mags you need to enjoy the game or play a mod that increases the pacing and method of getting kitted out quickly so you can start your mega base sooner.

Since you love mods anyway and aren't shy about using them, whatever the vanilla game does or does not do really has very little effect on you. Peace. Play Darkness Falls and ignore the change.

Honestly i think Kiernan531 point was more like : "TFP added less content that DF and their changes are worst that DF"

Now me - Honestly this change "character build" into RNG. previously if you wanted to be good in X then in Y you could make "roadmap" where you want to put points first - now.... how you character will be developed depends only on your luck and that's problem. I agree that slow progress is good but... this can be done just by adding more "stage" for old perks system

3 hours ago, Aldranon said:

Yeah, I never liked the negatives associated with using more efficient tools.  There should be no downside from going from stone tools to iron or steel.

The stamina usage (per unit of resource) should always be lower when using more efficient tools.  I can see some minimum strength level for the metal pickaxe however.

Yes, I kinda like this idea.  Maybe there is a higher stamina cost for using a better (heavier, for the sack of argument/realism) until you have a certain level of strength 

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Honestly i think Kiernan531 point was more like : "TFP added less content that DF and their changes are worst that DF"

And that is normal for a moddable game (see role model Elder Scrolls/FO). A part of TFP's people don't add content and instead add low-level features so that the other part of TFP and modders can benefit. And TFP vanilla is the intro version for ALL new players and that means (IMHO) the complexity of vanilla will not increase from their current level and never reach the level DF can provide.

TFP for example removed additional crafting stations again because adding complexity for veteran players was not their goal.

Now me - Honestly this change "character build" into RNG. previously if you wanted to be good in X then in Y you could make "roadmap" where you want to put points first - now.... how you character will be developed depends only on your luck and that's problem. I agree that slow progress is good but... this can be done just by adding more "stage" for old perks system

I actually fear the change of the crafting system will make it less luck based and more like a railroad. Sure, you could get into the situation that specific magazines just don't drop that much, but the most probable case is that whatever you do your crafting will improve with the steady speed and direction of a railroad.

But I hope that the influence of specific POIs having more magazines of a specific type (for example mechanics magazine in gas stations) is big enough so you can actually influence it.

14 minutes ago, meganoth said:

And that is normal for a moddable game (see role model Elder Scrolls/FO). A part of TFP's people don't add content and instead add low-level features so that the other part of TFP and modders can benefit. And TFP vanilla is the intro version for ALL new players and that means (IMHO) the complexity of vanilla will not increase from their current level and never reach the level DF can provide.

TFP for example removed additional crafting stations again because adding complexity for veteran players was not their goal.

I actually fear the change of the crafting system will make it less luck based and more like a railroad. Sure, you could get into the situation that specific magazines just don't drop that much, but the most probable case is that whatever you do your crafting will improve with the steady speed and direction of a railroad.

But I hope that the influence of specific POIs having more magazines of a specific type (for example mechanics magazine in gas stations) is big enough so you can actually influence it.

1. Skyrim is moddable game by "accident" it supposed be just  another tes like morrowind and oblivion by this i mean  focused on lore and story with complexed gameplay --> mods exisit but this suppost be nothing "important" like in shogun 2 or sw BF2 classic. But somehow skyrim mods are much more popular that supposed

And that's 7DTD big problem -  okay you can give me example that minecraft is base for mods too. And that's would be correct but... minecraft is not game but brand - you know minecraft dungeon, books, lego sets etc so they can't add everything they want because they have to watch on lore , deals between company etc but still have a lot systems, mobs etc less that mods but... this is connected with world setting too . Ok Mount and blade was not complex because mods but devided decided to create warband and now bannerlord to not break base game. TFP won't make 7dtd 2 and there is almost zero chances for spin off or "7dtd but with diffrent setting". So this make this even more frustrating. 

2. Well... still depend mostly on your luck in RWG. You can be lucky enough and spawn near 2 restaurant and bar , shop  and bookstore or you will respawn near gas station , church , flats and random houses so you can "choose" specific POI to get what you want but you have find this first so  depends on your luck you can get what your want very fast or you will get useless for you magasines in this stage ( top chef is more important in first week that advance enginnerring right?)

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Skyrim is moddable game by "accident" it supposed be just  another tes like morrowind and oblivion by this i mean  focused on lore and story with complexed gameplay --> mods exisit but this suppost be nothing "important" like in shogun 2 or sw BF2 classic. But somehow skyrim mods are much more popular that supposed

And that's 7DTD big problem

Who cares whether a game is moddable by design or by accident if the end result is that mods exist and are popular because they deliver an experiences that gamers like? The point is that Skyrim does have mods and regardless of how they came to be, players use them and extend their enjoyment of the game. The same is and will be true for 7 Days to Die and that is not a problem at all much less THE BIG PROBLEM...

okay you can give me example that minecraft is base for mods too. And that's would be correct but... minecraft is not game but brand - you know minecraft dungeon, books, lego sets etc so they can't add everything they want because they have to watch on lore , deals between company etc but still have a lot systems, mobs etc less that mods but... this is connected with world setting too .

This is not only wrong in theory but wrong in practice and wrong in history. Minecraft most certainly is a game and the fact that it is also a brand has zero to do with the mods that are created and used for that game. Mods extend the life of Minecraft, the game, just as they do for Skyrim and do for this game. I see no connection between the brand "minecraft" and the mods that are created for the game. Sorry, but this line of reasoning is just way out in left field and doesn't even seem to relate at all to what we are talking about in terms of mods.

TFP won't make 7dtd 2 and there is almost zero chances for spin off or "7dtd but with diffrent setting". So this make this even more frustrating.

100% wrong. 7dtd 2 is not going to be their next game but they definitely do have plans for a direct sequel in the future and they have also stated that they designed this game to have modular systems that they could re-use and enhance for 7dtd-like spin off games. So while there has not been an announcement for a "7dtd but with different setting" spinoff, there is definitely a higher chance than zero chance. Doing such a follow-up game is within their business model. That's not to say that they are the type of developers that are just going to crank out a 7dtd-like game every year. They are a lot more ambitious than that and they are content to allow modders to overhaul 7dtd into spin-offs or alternate settings while they turn to something new for their next project. 

1. Skyrim is moddable game by "accident" it supposed be just  another tes like morrowind and oblivion by this i mean  focused on lore and story with complexed gameplay --> mods exisit but this suppost be nothing "important" like in shogun 2 or sw BF2 classic. But somehow skyrim mods are much more popular that supposed

Strange that I remember morrowind having buttloads of mods already, a long time before Skyrim, and Todd Howard talking about how they like mods as long as I can remember.

Just read the answer from Mark Stinson on this page: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Bethesda-s-games-have-more-mods-than-other-games

Unless he is wrong, they already released a Construction Set with morrowind from the start. You must be living in a parallel world, in this dimension Skyrims moddability was anything but an accident

And that's 7DTD big problem -  okay you can give me example that minecraft is base for mods too. And that's would be correct but... minecraft is not game but brand - you know minecraft dungeon, books, lego sets etc so they can't add everything they want because they have to watch on lore , deals between company etc but still have a lot systems, mobs etc less that mods but... this is connected with world setting too . Ok Mount and blade was not complex because mods but devided decided to create warband and now bannerlord to not break base game. TFP won't make 7dtd 2 and there is almost zero chances for spin off or "7dtd but with diffrent setting". So this make this even more frustrating. 

2. Well... still depend mostly on your luck in RWG. You can be lucky enough and spawn near 2 restaurant and bar , shop  and bookstore or you will respawn near gas station , church , flats and random houses so you can "choose" specific POI to get what you want but you have find this first so  depends on your luck you can get what your want very fast or you will get useless for you magasines in this stage ( top chef is more important in first week that advance enginnerring right?)

Only blind people would have trouble finding a restaurant or bar in 7D2D. I'm not really talking about the first week where you might be on foot. As soon as you are motorized, even just with a slow minibike, the world is open to you.

20 hours ago, Kiernan531 said:

I hate this new learn by looting system.  It already takes forever to try and find all 133 of the perk books, now we have to find 1,920 magazines to max out all the crafting abilities?  This is the worst idea I've heard since the changes to farming in A20.  Don't spend any time upgrading your home or building a base, because you can't build better guns or tools unless you spend every waking second hunting down magazines.  Want some ammo or food as a quest reward to help you out, well forget it, have to grab the magazines.  Not to mention several of the perks lose almost all appeal to taking them.  Why put any points into Robotics Inventor, Grease Monkey, Advanced Engineering, or Master Chef?  I already only put points in them to be able to craft better stuff, now there is little to no point.  Hey Fun Pimps, if you want to find ways to make the game more fun, try looking at the Darkness Falls Mod.  That mod has made the game more fun than the last 3 updates you have put out.  More varied types of zombies, weapons, tools, mods, materials, workstations and vehicles while balancing a harder overall experience, revamping the skill tree in a way that makes sense without making it a complete grind, and encouraging more exploration.  At level 100 I'm still glad to find materials that I had long since before stopped even thinking about in the vanilla game.  It overall feels like a completely different, and ultimately better, game.

As myself and another individual discussed briefly recently, a hybrid system of learn by doing and learn by looting would be perfect.

I understand this is the creation of the developers, but not every change is good for the game.

Consider, for example:

* Crops and wild planting gave the game a brilliant nomadic feel.

* Climbing spider zombies added a challenge to the zombies.

*The smell system and zombies tracking you down added another depth to the game.

*Having to find the schematic for the forge was frustrating but made sense and kept you looting for just that one simple thing to get you by. 

*Learn-by-doing meant a proportionate increase in skills to the work you put into it.

Just a handful of amazing features the game used to have that have all been wiped out and no longer exist unless you use mods which may be wonky, or follow ridiculous advice that suggests previous Alphas where you may experience one or more of these features and none of the optimisation.

They game has been updated a lot, but hasn't always advanced in my opinion. And that is precisely why I agree with your post 👍🏻

Edited by Beelzebubs Ghost (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Thanks for your honesty. Doesn't change my answer.

I know

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Who cares whether a game is moddable by design or by accident if the end result is that mods exist and are popular because they deliver an experiences that gamers like? The point is that Skyrim does have mods and regardless of how they came to be, players use them and extend their enjoyment of the game. The same is and will be true for 7 Days to Die and that is not a problem at all much less THE BIG PROBLEM...

This is not only wrong in theory but wrong in practice and wrong in history. Minecraft most certainly is a game and the fact that it is also a brand has zero to do with the mods that are created and used for that game. Mods extend the life of Minecraft, the game, just as they do for Skyrim and do for this game. I see no connection between the brand "minecraft" and the mods that are created for the game. Sorry, but this line of reasoning is just way out in left field and doesn't even seem to relate at all to what we are talking about in terms of mods.

100% wrong. 7dtd 2 is not going to be their next game but they definitely do have plans for a direct sequel in the future and they have also stated that they designed this game to have modular systems that they could re-use and enhance for 7dtd-like spin off games. So while there has not been an announcement for a "7dtd but with different setting" spinoff, there is definitely a higher chance than zero chance. Doing such a follow-up game is within their business model. That's not to say that they are the type of developers that are just going to crank out a 7dtd-like game every year. They are a lot more ambitious than that and they are content to allow modders to overhaul 7dtd into spin-offs or alternate settings while they turn to something new for their next project. 

1. Yes, if i good remember i read on old polish page ( now dead page 😕 ) tha TES was supposed have expensive lore like star wars and warhammer. So this + story would be main engine of this series. Ofc modding was popular since Daggerfall but it was more "fixing things" that make game complete new game. And ... that's why this page is dead because... nothing was happening because of mods - because Tes online is not fully canon ( it's like sw's expanded universe). So one game " killed" universe. I'm sure if Skyrim wasn't modable we would get more games ( i don't mean TES V , it could be canon spin off like battlespire or redguard).

2. If this would works this game terraira would have maybe 2/3 less content because terraria mods are realy big.  Okay - in theory studio which is now working on MC could add more mobs etc. But it have to looks... "accetable" by diffrent companies. So they are limited by deals. Modders can add whatever they can - Scp, WW2 soldiers, horror monsters etc. But even talking about legal stuff ,it would looks bad as lego right?

3. Rly? damn  if you are right that mean there finaly something positve . well making "7dtd like" games in my opinion is even more ambitious that make diffrent types of games. Why? Creative Assable is good example of that - every total wars looks much diffrent that previouse one - not just diffrent setting but diffrent mechanics  that make game so unique - Shogun 2 is focused on battles and military force, attila is focused on micromanagment of your faction, while warhmmer focus on diffrences between faction and three kingdoms on characters. It's much harder to make similiar but enough orginal game that make diffrent type of game. Mediveal dynasty and Sengoku dynasty is good example for that too.

I hope we will get more info about their new game soon. I'm interesting what they are planning

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Strange that I remember morrowind having buttloads of mods already, a long time before Skyrim, and Todd Howard talking about how they like mods as long as I can remember.

Just read the answer from Mark Stinson on this page: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Bethesda-s-games-have-more-mods-than-other-games

Unless he is wrong, they already released a Construction Set with morrowind from the start. You must be living in a parallel world, in this dimension Skyrims moddability was anything but an accident

Only blind people would have trouble finding a restaurant or bar in 7D2D. I'm not really talking about the first week where you might be on foot. As soon as you are motorized, even just with a slow minibike, the world is open to you.

1. In  was created in 2019 right? i mean topic. I was reading about focus on lore even before Skyrim released.  I would send this page but 1. is unfortunatly dead 2. this was polish page. 

I knew about Construction Set but : Morrowind 2002 , DLC 1 2002, DLC 2 2003, oblivion 2006, dlc 1 2006 , dlc 2  2007 , skyrim  2011 , dlc 1&2 2012, dlc 3 2013. TES VI 20 2026-2027(?).  older TES games was released so "fast" because were famouse about lore, story and gameplay not about mods, yep mods  exists but wasn't such popular as skyrim mods. Probably in this period intetnet wasn't such popular, avalible and fast.  Skyrim is still buyed by people because of mods but... this mean there is no any new game ( TES Online is alternative universe like RE operation raccon city is alternative to main  RE series, NZA is alternative series for Sniper elite etc)  "Bethesda Boss says ‘If you want us to Stop releasing Skyrim Ports, Stop Buying them’"-  so i think if skyrim mods weren't popular ( slow net) we would get TES 6 much faster.

2. Yes after some time it don't mean too much but it change a lot for 1 week - if you  will create perks road map for A20 and you will play on few diffents maps your time will be much more similiar  that get what you want  by using new perks system ( except one big problem how much there will be magasines?  That's unsure. I remember times when in cod BW in outbreake mode you could spend 3 hours without wonder weapon (except D.I.E but it was junk gun) and after updated you could get ray gun in first random big aether crystal after spawn)

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Okay - in theory studio which is now working on MC could add more mobs etc. But it have to looks... "accetable" by diffrent companies. So they are limited by deals.

The development studio working on Minecraft is not limited by the deals that Microsoft makes with other companies to tie in with the Minecraft brand. Lego can't tell Microsoft that they can't make changes to their brand. It flows the other way actually. Microsoft dictates what Minecraft looks like and companies that license to use the Minecraft brand in their products have to make sure they conform to whatever the brand currently looks like. Microsoft could change the color and look of the Creepers tomorrow without asking permission of any company that is using the Minecraft brand. They wouldn't have to poll those companies to see if it was okay to make those changes. Rather, they could require those companies make changes to fit the new brand or lose their license to use Minecraft branding.

20 hours ago, Kiernan531 said:

It already takes forever to try and find all 133 of the perk books, now we have to find 1,920 magazines to max out all the crafting abilities?  

my rose tinted glasses and i are hoping that there is only 1 shot gun mag, 1 pistol mag, 1 ... etc and we have to find the same shotgun mag etc each time to go up an increment.

that would

- remove looking for that last pesky specific issue to finish off

- make stacking them in inventory easier

- remove 6/7 magazine items from the game (presumably freeing the spots up for other things - if that is how it works...)

this would imo be better than the current specificity that rng can really make into a chore. 

@roland / @lazman can you confirm or deny please

and if there are 6x19 = 114 ! new spots available, any teasers on what is taking their place? (assuming correct assumption of 19 magazine series) 

and if this is the case, how big of a consideration was the freeing up of the spots when making this design decision?

27 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

My assumption is the same magazine will level the same skill. Because making 100 magazines (or however many) per skill is just an insane amount of work. :)

Also, vol1-100 and finding them in order, and making them work with the perks to increase the chances of finding each one in the right order would be a pain for both the devs and plauers.

i think that there wont be volumes for the magazines lets say the spear book is called sharpsticks and every time you read an issue of sharpsticks you will level that category up by one point i really dont think they would make vol 2 to 100 because that would be ridiculous so hopefully we are right 

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

i think that there wont be volumes for the magazines lets say the spear book is called sharpsticks and every time you read an issue of sharpsticks you will level that category up by one point i really dont think they would make vol 2 to 100 because that would be ridiculous so hopefully we are right 

That's literally what I said 😛

People are worrying it WONT work like that though. I think it will just because of the sheer amount of work it would be otherwise.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

The development studio working on Minecraft is not limited by the deals that Microsoft makes with other companies to tie in with the Minecraft brand. Lego can't tell Microsoft that they can't make changes to their brand. It flows the other way actually. Microsoft dictates what Minecraft looks like and companies that license to use the Minecraft brand in their products have to make sure they conform to whatever the brand currently looks like. Microsoft could change the color and look of the Creepers tomorrow without asking permission of any company that is using the Minecraft brand. They wouldn't have to poll those companies to see if it was okay to make those changes. Rather, they could require those companies make changes to fit the new brand or lose their license to use Minecraft branding.

Yes this is quiet true. But if  this studio with MS agreement and for example gore ( stupid but i saw few gore mods)  there is a chance that lego would terminate a contract on making minecraft sets because Lego want to keep "family friendly" reputation. 

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

1. In  was created in 2019 right? i mean topic.

You mean the link I posted? Maybe. But what has that to do with the truthfullness of the statement?

I was reading about focus on lore even before Skyrim released.  I would send this page but 1. is unfortunatly dead 2. this was polish page. 

I knew about Construction Set but : Morrowind 2002 , DLC 1 2002, DLC 2 2003, oblivion 2006, dlc 1 2006 , dlc 2  2007 , skyrim  2011 , dlc 1&2 2012, dlc 3 2013. TES VI 20 2026-2027(?).  older TES games was released so "fast" because were famouse about lore, story and gameplay not about mods, yep mods  exists but wasn't such popular as skyrim mods.

They were released so fast because Bethesda used the same game engine and only upgraded it a little. But this can't be done endlessly and now they need to program a new one. That is at least what I have heard.

Probably in this period intetnet wasn't such popular, avalible and fast.  Skyrim is still buyed by people because of mods but... this mean there is no any new game ( TES Online is alternative universe like RE operation raccon city is alternative to main  RE series, NZA is alternative series for Sniper elite etc)  "Bethesda Boss says ‘If you want us to Stop releasing Skyrim Ports, Stop Buying them’"-  so i think if skyrim mods weren't popular ( slow net) we would get TES 6 much faster.

If Bethesda wanted a new TES, they could bring out a new one anytime. There are millions of people who would buy a new game, mods or no mods. Many of them don't play mods like you for different reasons. But even those that do play mods would flock to a new game by Bethesda immediately, and even most modders would immediately switch to the shiny new toy.

Bethesda would have no problems selling a new game, provided they don't change the proven formula too much (looking at you FO 76) and upgrade the graphics enough so people feel it is totally new and better.

Ports of a game is a totally different story, there you simply reach new markets with minimal investment and just a small team. They definitely have enough programmers to do such a task besides main development and if not, they could buy or rent a small studio to do that task.

2. Yes after some time it don't mean too much but it change a lot for 1 week - if you  will create perks road map for A20 and you will play on few diffents maps your time will be much more similiar  that get what you want  by using new perks system ( except one big problem how much there will be magasines?  That's unsure. I remember times when in cod BW in outbreake mode you could spend 3 hours without wonder weapon (except D.I.E but it was junk gun) and after updated you could get ray gun in first random big aether crystal after spawn)

Its called balancing. Don't make a fuss about it. 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Beelzebubs Ghost said:

Climbing spider zombies added a challenge to the zombies.

Yeah, I liked that mechanic, even though it was “easy to defeat” once you figured out to put up a ledge all around your base. 

I kinda wish that as a compromise they had a way for zeds to scale walls, or jump extra far in some scenarios. The “jumper” is a nice touch, but a small can also stop them. I’ve seen zeds get pretty high “climbing on top of each other” so maybe some way for jumpers to prefer climbing on top or “riding/standing” on other zeds shoulders and when they do they can jump “up” or “farther”. Then they could get over very tall walls or chasms (of spikes/pits for example).  Still “not undefeatable” but it would be a neat alternative to have to build against. If they could also climb walls after jumping (grab wall in mid air)that would be awesome

18 minutes ago, meganoth said:

You mean the link I posted? Maybe. But what has that to do with the truthfullness of the statement?

They were released so fast because Bethesda used the same game engine and only upgraded it a little. But this can't be done endlessly and now they need to program a new one. That is at least what I have heard.

If Bethesda wanted a new TES, they could bring out a new one anytime. There are millions of people who would buy a new game, mods or no mods. Many of them don't play mods like you for different reasons. But even those that do play mods would flock to a new game by Bethesda immediately, and even most modders would immediately switch to the shiny new toy.

Bethesda would have no problems selling a new game, provided they don't change the proven formula too much (looking at you FO 76) .

Ports of a game is a totally different story, there you simply reach new markets with minimal investment and just a small team. They definitely have enough programmers to do such a task besides main development and if not, they could buy or rent a small studio to do that task.

Its called balancing. Don't make a fuss about it. 😉

1. few things - if this statement was asked in 2011... it woudn't be so true. - more mods for GTA, HL2, SWBF2 ,  stalker, Heroes 3. If i good remember Fallout 3 was mess and even to hard to turn on without mods ( terrible windows live). And in this period most games was moddable - cod, f.e.a.r, total war, civilisation , crysis. Now things changes so... what moddable game on pc was pretty normal while now it's rare for big games - cod, tomb rider,  bf, dl1 ( yes i know about workshop but it's limited). Btw For long time a had a big problem to find bigger oblivion mods, and sometimes i heard about fallout 3 mods but... honestly i think most game have hmm no clothes mods - i remember article about that in CD- Action - example tomb rider, RE5

Now there is a lot of them but -  well if you asked modder in 2015 what he thinking about modding attila he would be frustated.  But if you asked this same modder now - he would say that attila is one of the best total war to create mods. So if you asked someone in 2011 why he bought Skyrim - this person probably would said something like - graphic, story, cool fighting system , characters. But if you ask in 2019 someone this person will probably say "because of mods".

2. Yesi know - skyrim was looking good , so if another TES would be released after 4 years it woudn't be such big deal but tes 7 would need much better graphic. Well i heard it was connected with still sellable skyrim ( why make another game if people still buying new one?) and starfield

3. Not rly - a lot of people still playing mostly in older total wars because mods, this same thing with cod BO2 ,  Dow1. So if TES was released after 4 years i think most people would stay with skyrim untill TES 6 mod base became big.

4. FO76 sold good but there were a lot of refunds

6. Yes and now - i know people who bought RE on few platforms just... because it's RE. I bought witcher 1 two times - standard and enchanted edition. People bought a little bit "enchanted" skyrim version but... it wasn't nothing to big 

7. I mean - this would be hard to make test after released it would need last A20 version and last A21 version to test this.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

You are finding duplicates of the same magazine and not unique volumes in a series (like the book sets) in order to raise your skill in a particular category. 

Probably for the best. It does mean we'll never see posts bitterly complaining that they can't craft a level 5 spear because Sharp Sticks vol 69 just won't spawn, though. Alas...

1. few things - if this statement was asked in 2011... it woudn't be so true. - more mods for GTA, HL2, SWBF2 ,  stalker, Heroes 3. If i good remember Fallout 3 was mess and even to hard to turn on without mods ( terrible windows live). And in this period most games was moddable - cod, f.e.a.r, total war, civilisation , crysis. Now things changes so... what moddable game on pc was pretty normal while now it's rare for big games - cod, tomb rider,  bf, dl1 ( yes i know about workshop but it's limited). Btw For long time a had a big problem to find bigger oblivion mods, and sometimes i heard about fallout 3 mods but... honestly i think most game have hmm no clothes mods - i remember article about that in CD- Action - example tomb rider, RE5

Now there is a lot of them but -  well if you asked modder in 2015 what he thinking about modding attila he would be frustated.  But if you asked this same modder now - he would say that attila is one of the best total war to create mods. So if you asked someone in 2011 why he bought Skyrim - this person probably would said something like - graphic, story, cool fighting system , characters. But if you ask in 2019 someone this person will probably say "because of mods".

While the question is about number of mods HE specifically talks about the past:

He says "Anything prior to Morrowind is a pain to mod, but Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim were designed to be easily moddable.". That is not about now, he talks about the past.

"they encouraged players to mod the games. Morrowind had its Construction Set released at the same time the game released". Again a statement about things in the past, not about 2019.

"Todd Howard was pretty clear that Morrowind players were getting the same tool that the developers were using". Again a statement about the past.

2. Yesi know - skyrim was looking good , so if another TES would be released after 4 years it woudn't be such big deal but tes 7 would need much better graphic. Well i heard it was connected with still sellable skyrim ( why make another game if people still buying new one?) and starfield

3. Not rly - a lot of people still playing mostly in older total wars because mods, this same thing with cod BO2 ,  Dow1. So if TES was released after 4 years i think most people would stay with skyrim untill TES 6 mod base became big.

Especially PvP games have the problem that the game is really just a sandbox for the central element, the fights against other players. Balance and fun mechanics is very important, there is often no story. An RPG gets played because of story and quests and discovery. What is true for PvP games is wrong for RPG games.

4. FO76 sold good but there were a lot of refunds

Exactly. People didn't stay with older Fallouts or Skyrim, they tried the new game. And found it lacking.

6. Yes and now - i know people who bought RE on few platforms just... because it's RE. I bought witcher 1 two times - standard and enchanted edition. People bought a little bit "enchanted" skyrim version but... it wasn't nothing to big 

7. I mean - this would be hard to make test after released it would need last A20 version and last A21 version to test this.

No idea what you are talking about.

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Yes this is quiet true. But if  this studio with MS agreement and for example gore ( stupid but i saw few gore mods)  there is a chance that lego would terminate a contract on making minecraft sets because Lego want to keep "family friendly" reputation. 

I agree with that but such things are constraints that Microsoft imposes on itself in order to keep their brand mainstream. Lego doesn't tell them "Don't add gore to the game or we will pull out". Microsoft tells itself, "Let's keep the game family friendly in order to appeal to the largest segment of the market as we possibly can". They could add gore anyway and then Lego would have to decide to stay in or get out.

I bet they stay in and add little gore bit pieces that snap right to the ends of limbs... ;)