Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Jokes aside, I think that more than new types of graphical representations of different things, we need new behaviors.

I'd like to see more variation in how different animals, and zombies, move, fight, or even how they interact with each other.

For example, I like how coyotes run away for a while if you hurt them badly, but then come back and try to get revenge. :) 

Just no. I will try to explain it but i know it won't be best explanation.

If you consider which animals in games are use in zombie games it's usualy.... wolf and bear. Why? because rest of animals will be too goofy so it will be working annoying.

Years ago in RE 4 you had spiders and even elephans. Yes COD bo4 had elephans but it's magic and stuff. Now RE is more serious while being RE in this same time. Ada want to kill zombie kid in one scene while another we use minigun. Okay someone can say that State of decay 3 have zombie deer in trailer. Yeah but Dead Island have zombie kid so trailer mean nothing.

So - if TFP won't go  into more serious vibes then.... best option would be just add more humanoid mutants

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Obsessive Compulsive said:

No I wanted to get the optimizer ready as a bit of a portfolio piece before bugging them. I know they took on junior developers and it did not work out too well. My hope is that the work speaks for itself, motioning them to reach out at least or be more accepting if I were to apply. Last I was told when asked is they were not hiring and not interested. I did not go through official channels at the time. I asked one of the devs during a stream if they were hiring. It was a clear no. Timing might have been a bad idea and they didn't want rando viewers applying in droves. They would only want applications with particular skill sets at this stage.

They are busy and my project is the last thing on their mind right now. If it becomes quite popular in the community, I am sure they would take more notice but I am not here to impress them in the end. I want to see the game do well and I will use this as a portfolio point regardless wherever I end up applying. I might just start my own game project with some of the passionate devs I have worked with in this community. Lots of talent here if someone were to rustle the right feathers.

I think this game has insane capacity if done right. Its the next sandbox minecraft. That would be very different as a long term goal for them but worth it if you were to ask me. To get the most of this engine, they need to use the job system. Recoding this to use the unity job system would require a full overhaul in many cases and more time which I am doubtful they want to spend. Sections can be isolated and improved dramatically with it though. If they focus on some standard runtime profiling, they could orient those particular sections into the unity job system to run it in parallel with all available cores. Unity does most of the hard lifting for them. In honesty, I can see some of the code is oriented to utilize it. Someone had the intent to multi thread various portions. They also have access to the unity math lib and the burst compiler. Both of these in combination with the job system cranks the runtime potential up 3x - 10x faster.

I could go on about various things but truly I am still wandering around the code, experimenting, learning. That can be a bit of a problem for lead programmers on projects of this size. They dont want to watch over junior devs at this stage and they dont need me contending with their engineering application. Ten years is very late in a cycle. Maybe I could help them? Maybe I would cause more problems and they can't afford it this late. I imagine they would want to hit a gold state and exit early access before even considering looking at what I am up to. Unfortunately, that is too late to alter the engineering of the game and nobody takes the random comments of some dude on a forum as reason to consider altering their game pattern runtimes.

Likely the optimizer will stay as a mod. Kind of the nature of programming games these days. Either way, I am grateful for the opportunity to work on it. Bravo pimps, keep at it!

TFP Hire this guy!!

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Just no. I will try to explain it but i know it won't be best explanation.

If you consider which animals in games are use in zombie games it's usualy.... wolf and bear. Why? because rest of animals will be too goofy so it will be working annoying.

Years ago in RE 4 you had spiders and even elephans. Yes COD bo4 had elephans but it's magic and stuff. Now RE is more serious while being RE in this same time. Ada want to kill zombie kid in one scene while another we use minigun. Okay someone can say that State of decay 3 have zombie deer in trailer. Yeah but Dead Island have zombie kid so trailer mean nothing.

So - if TFP won't go  into more serious vibes then.... best option would be just add more humanoid mutants

What are you talking about?

Did I say I was only talking about animals? No

Did I say I wanted more animals? No

You're arguing against something I supposedly said, that isn't there. :rolleyes2:

All I'm saying is that IF they add (e.g.) more humanoids, that they also add new and varied behaviors to their AI.

17 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Why then are small kids and clowns one of the best ingredients in horror movies? Because you don't normally view them as dangerous.

Naturally that sense of unfamiliarity will dull when you play a game repeatedly, but there is no reason they could not look frightening in a serious game, IF you give them a serious vibe. Naturally the FUN PIMPs won't do that, luckily for us, unluckily for you. You are just in the wrong movie, pal 😉

27 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Why then are small kids and clowns one of the best ingredients in horror movies? Because you don't normally view them as dangerous.

Naturally that sense of unfamiliarity will dull when you play a game repeatedly, but there is no reason they could not look frightening in a serious game, IF you give them a serious vibe. Naturally the FUN PIMPs won't do that, luckily for us, unluckily for you. You are just in the wrong movie, pal 😉

Oh this reminds me.

I want a clown zombie dammit.

sadly at this point it is likely close to impossible.

19 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

What are you talking about?

Did I say I was only talking about animals? No

Did I say I wanted more animals? No

You're arguing against something I supposedly said, that isn't there. :rolleyes2:

All I'm saying is that IF they add (e.g.) more humanoids, that they also add new and varied behaviors to their AI.

Well new AI is pretty problematic in such type of game. so reused something that already is working is.. good because it's pretty cheap

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Clown not dangerous? Geez one of them was well know serial killer! geez statistic show that number of serial killers is pretty high in clown community 😜

Is RE serious like days gone?  Nope. it's series when you play as girl who use railgun bigger that her to kill overregenerating B.O.W.  , you play as zombie , there big Vampire Mommy and spanish gov can't deal with bugs worshiping cult which manage to somehow take USA president's daughter as hostage. Don't even mentioning that guy have 1VS1 with rock

Wrong Movie? Yeah. To push forward with it - Napoleon on trailers were looking like pretty serious and solid historical movie. But if you check it it's like.... Bad Comedy or UK propaganda movie from another dimenshion. 

If I had any choice "i'd wanna Puca" The celtic Irish one.

Its mischievous, freaky looking, in its natural form, can hide in trees, and can become most of the things.
that have been requested.

Since there are so many attempted jump scares, this one would add to it. Imagine you are hunting
a rabbit, and when you hit it, Poof it turns into a dog, with big floppy ears. Or a zombie bear with
chicken feet. And at night it becomes a Night mare. If body parts were made modular, it could become any
combination randomly. and still use existing models

.Puca.png.ef3c200cf0b7716b5c472aa6cfd12f05.png

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles
image (see edit history)

On 11/29/2023 at 6:09 PM, Kalex said:

Well, technically no since Grace is female and the term hog actually applies only to males.

Hog
noun  1.a domesticated pig, especially one over 120 pounds (54 kg) and reared for slaughter.

What is a hog called?

• Wild boars and domesticated pigs are the same species. A male hog is called a boar. A female is called a sow. Young are called piglets.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:09 AM, Kalex said:

Well, technically no since Grace is female and the term hog actually applies only to males.

from the collins dictionary...

A hog is a pig. In British English, hog usually refers to a large male pig that has been castrated, but in American English it can refer to any kind of pig. We picked the corn by hand and we fed it to the hogs and the cows. Synonyms: pig, swine, porker More Synonyms of hog.

@Laz Man Good day to you kind sir! I was wondering if you could answer some vague questions about a22:

1. What are you working on at the moment?

2. Are there many new tier 5 POI in the making for a22? And what about tier 1s and the others, are there any new ones too? Tier 1 Gas stations are a bit too abundant nowadays.

3. Tell us about triggers in POI. Are you a fire hose guy or more like an automatic door one? 

4. What is your "most favourite" thing about a22 at the moment?

Thank you for reading! Cheers!