Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Its amazing anyone including TFP cares about Navezgane anymore with the quality of RWG.   Navezgane seems like wasted effort.   All good though, i still get to play RWG. 

The FunPimps love environmental storytelling. This works even better with a hand crafted map. 

51 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

Maybe? We'll have to see what the future holds.

Can you open the cars with lockpicks and if, does it make a difference ?

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

I haven't played the Navesgane map since Alpha 14 or 15 (16?).  I prefer exploring instead of knowing where everything is.  I might give it a playthrough this time, though, since it's been so long and I've forgotten everything.  In fact, I'm not sure the last time I played that map that they even had traders available.

16 hours ago, faatal said:

You are correct, almost everyone including us are off of work. But seriously, if there is a major bug on release day, I'd rather less people experience it on a Monday, when we are all already at work and the appropriate people can try to fix it before the weekend, when many more people would be effected and annoyed. That is why many big companies make releases or updates during the week.

Major bug after all this time, really ???? really ????

Seriously,

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Seriously,

giphy.gif

What? Do you live in la-la land? :rolleyes2:

You don't think it's possible to have major bugs creeping up after a fresh experimental released to thousands of people? Really ???? really ????

2 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Yep. In years past we have had streamer weekends where we saw a nasty bug or two and made fixes over the weekend. Or sometimes it is just an annoying bug where worlds need to be restarted. I'd rather have a lesser amount of annoyed people having to restart after a few days.

5 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Seriously,

giphy.gif

Really. I was a QA Lead in the industry for years, and there's only so much you can do with a relatively small number of people testing the software professionally. Hundreds of thousands of players suddenly slamming it and doing things you simply never thought of (or things you did think of but only break under volume) will always turn up new defects—you just sit there and pray they're not A or B bugs. But it happens, and it is a very sick feeling when it does.

6 minutes ago, Druid_Koldun1 said:

And I came here guys to continue begging to add a pet in the form of a wolf or a dog to the game to help players as a living being who will support and entertain you in this dangerous world of the zombie apocalypse.

We have the drone as a flying companion because it would have been too difficult to code a companion that walks on the ground and has to follow you. Even the drone has to teleport or fly through walls and ceilings to follow you.

2 hours ago, zicky said:

I haven't played the Navesgane map since Alpha 14 or 15 (16?). I prefer exploring instead of knowing where everything is. I might give it a playthrough this time, though, since it's been so long and I've forgotten everything. In fact, I'm not sure the last time I played that map that they even had traders available.

Navezgane gets updates every alpha. Roads are changing, the landscape is moving, new pois are being updated and added, some of which are unique and available only on this map.
Due to the fact that you know the main roads, you don't have to use the map and this adds immersion.
After all, a naked man with a PDA and working navigation looks strange. 

Spoiler

Or is this the only thing he managed to take with him during the transfer from the future? 🤔
It's time to find Sarah Connor ☠️

Single poi in the forest/desert/wasteland or small towns of 10-15 houses are much more atmospheric than concrete jungles with hundreds of houses.
I'm tired of big cities in the A20 for one survival and now I prefer to stay away from them.

I would prefer 5-7 manually created maps like Navezgane instead of hundreds of RWG clones.
The hope is that A21 and future updates will add interest to the generation of maps. Is it possible to support your own maps of biomes, water and heights? :ranger:

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Cant wait to see this huge tunnel in navezgane :D I am hoping for something very dark like in the Walking Dead series :)

It's not a questable POI in A21 so make sure to set expectations accordingly...😅

20 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

Navezgane gets updates every alpha. Roads are changing, the landscape is moving, new pois are being updated and added, some of which are unique and available only on this map.
Due to the fact that you know the main roads, you don't have to use the map and this adds immersion.
After all, a naked man with a PDA and working navigation looks strange. 

Reveal hidden contents

Or is this the only thing he managed to take with him during the transfer from the future? 🤔
It's time to find Sarah Connor ☠️

Single poi in the forest/desert/wasteland or small towns of 10-15 houses are much more atmospheric than concrete jungles with hundreds of houses.
I'm tired of big cities in the A20 for one survival and now I prefer to stay away from them.

I would prefer 5-7 manually created maps like Navezgane instead of hundreds of RWG clones.
The hope is that A21 and future updates will add interest to the generation of maps. Is it possible to support your own maps of biomes, water and heights? :ranger:

You can edit your biomes very easily in any paint program after generating a map and before starting a game.  That combined with choosing percentages for biomes covers quite a lot of what you might be looking for.  The rest... Well, we can hope or we can use third party map generators that provide that. 😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Druid_Koldun1 said:

Hello guys. Unfortunately, I forgot the password of my forum account and therefore created a new one. And I came here guys to continue begging to add a pet in the form of a wolf or a dog to the game to help players as a living being who will support and entertain you in this dangerous world of the zombie apocalypse. I just downloaded one mod that adds a faithful pet, but its quality and texture of the pet leave much to be desired. Therefore, it is only developers who can add this mechanic to the game. Please guys, I really need a four-legged friend in this great my most favorite game.

I am sure you do. The first thing you should train your four-legged friend is to remember the forum password for you 😁

Basically the release time on Monday depends on the results of the QA team testing any last minute fixes the devs submit for things they noticed while watching streams over the weekend.  

If there is something nasty they really want to get fixed before Public Experimental but the first attempt didn't work then they might need a second or third build and the release can push later into the day.

They had two different builds on the internal Testing_Trunk branch this evening per steamdb for example.

9 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

I would prefer 5-7 manually created maps like Navezgane

I'll agree with that. More tailored pregen maps (like around 5) for each size (6k, 8 k, 10 k) would be welcome. Sure, I can gen a new map any time, but to be able to play a customised TFP map as an option would be oh so nice. While the gang isn't all hands on deck to solve some wayward issue, perhaps a few of the crew may be building some awesome worlds to experience. Incorporating features that would not normally appear in a random world.  Then again, as of lately, your hands are full.  Ya' all dont't lack imagination. When things slow down, let a few of the folk have a fun time with world generation. You know the masses will eat it up!

46 minutes ago, Thug Hunter said:

@faatalWhat ended up taking the most time or caused the most bugs trying to implement features during this update? My prediction is Performance and Optimizations and the Networking Improvements or was a lot of work done for things to be introduced in A22

We worked on ton of different improvements. RWG might be the biggest. Water sim, water mesh creation, chunk reset and file manager were some of the larger changes.

So a couple of questions because I'm a little confused...

1. Laundry, store shelves/coolers/freezers/produce/gun rack, coffins, caskets, file cabinets, shoe/pant/shirt/book piles, medical cabinets, medicine cabinets, utility carts, and ammo displays are now using destroy_on_close="empty" and DowngradeFX 

Does this mean these containers will self-destruct when looted, like nests and garbage piles? If so, seems like a confusing change (although clothing piles already poofed after looting anyway, but I like to chop laundry baskets for scrap polymers).

2. Containers that change to an "Open" model once looted, will these revert to their "Closed" model after X days when loot respawns normally? Or is that no longer going to be a feature (outside of resetting the chunk/starting a quest)?

With all the years of development on 7daystodie I am totally okay, that the A21 release will be on the first day of my holidays, where my family and I are away from home for 11 days. So I probably will miss the first blood moon. Nevertheless, thank you, FunPimps, for years and years of fun with a "self"-refreshing game now and then. 

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Мы работали над массой различных улучшений. RWG может быть самым большим. Симулятор воды, создание сетки воды, сброс чанков и файловый менеджер были одними из самых больших изменений.

On December 13, our favorite game turns 10 years old! Are you planning to do something in honor of such a grandiose date?

5 hours ago, Old Crow said:

So a couple of questions because I'm a little confused...

1. Laundry, store shelves/coolers/freezers/produce/gun rack, coffins, caskets, file cabinets, shoe/pant/shirt/book piles, medical cabinets, medicine cabinets, utility carts, and ammo displays are now using destroy_on_close="empty" and DowngradeFX 

Does this mean these containers will self-destruct when looted, like nests and garbage piles? If so, seems like a confusing change (although clothing piles already poofed after looting anyway, but I like to chop laundry baskets for scrap polymers).

2. Containers that change to an "Open" model once looted, will these revert to their "Closed" model after X days when loot respawns normally? Or is that no longer going to be a feature (outside of resetting the chunk/starting a quest)?

Pretty much yes.   Most of it feels fine to me.  There are a few exceptions though like luggage loot.  I think we don't have an open state container for those that don't look strange yet.