Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

5 hours ago, ltbrunt said:

This may sound strange and annoy the 7DTD community. I would love for TFP to cancel A21 putting all their effort into A22. I love everything I have seen in the A21 Dev Videos. Watching those videos was like rushing home to receive a present. Saying this I think A22 is going to be the game changer. I have been playing this game for ten years non stop and am looking forward to the next evolution to the game.

I think A20 is flawless as is and would rather wait A22. This could also give TFP more time to work out bugs.  I have a feeling A22 will be the turning point for 7DTD. 

When A21 does come out I will no doubt be grinding away at it. 

Yeah, A20 is a very good game.  Once a Workshop is made available on Steam, 7D2D will explode in users as many users will only load Mods from steam.

However, the new concept of A21 is well liked by Joel and he is the Fun Pimp I listen to when Fun is the issue.

So A21 is different but more fun (I'm positive).  What's not to like?

Ok, so this will be my first experimental for the game.  I want to keep A20 running while also running experimental so my current games can still be played.  I know there has been mention of just copying the game directory to another location before doing the experimental install.  Can someone clarify what specifically I need to do to avoid problems?  I'm assuming I'd also need to change the save folder / user data folder location?  I appreciate it.

Will the blood splatter mechanics be applied to normal melee damage and shooting as well? If not will the blood spilling mechanics from vehicles fully come over to normal combat? Also could it be modded for normal hits right now or is it hard coded into the game?

59 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Thanks.  No need to relocate the saves and such also?

No they all go in the one folder and when you start a game the ones your game is set to will be green and the ones for a21 will be red .

Tho you will jabe to have 2 Mods and 2 LocalPrefabs 

Usually with 1 having a - a21 or - a20 pending which build you be in 

So for example you in a20 your a20xOds folder and LocakPrefabs folder should be 

LocaLprefabs

Mods 

Your a21 Mods and LocalPrefabs should he

LocalPrefabs - A21

Mods - A21

And vice versa if you are in a21

Just finished reading through the change log.  Looks great!  I noticed lockpicking is the default for locked items.  I'm assuming that means I can just click E on it and it will attempt to pick the lock rather than having to hold E and select it.  That makes lockpicking so much better.  That could be my favorite change in A21.  Ok, maybe not but it's definitely near the top.  :D

Happy to read through the patch notes and see that in future, they're adding in a backup save system. No more lost saves but hoping it comes sooner rather than later:

To facilitate a future backup feature that is active during writing, which should assist with power loss during writes resulting in corrupted data, the trade off being additional writes to disk and higher memory usage. Persisting to disk will happen some time after closing the stream.

1 hour ago, BigB0iiiJ0nes said:

Will the blood splatter mechanics be applied to normal melee damage and shooting as well? If not will the blood spilling mechanics from vehicles fully come over to normal combat? Also could it be modded for normal hits right now or is it hard coded into the game?

I've thought about it, but don't know when or if it will be added. It is triggered in AI and vehicle code.

11 minutes ago, faatal said:

I've thought about it, but don't know when or if it will be added. It is triggered in AI and vehicle code.

It'd be great if it could be implemented. Blood spilling mechanics add so much feedback to combat. You guys already have a decent dismemberment system and have a blood system working for the vehicles it'd be kind of pointless not to officially port it over to the combat as a whole. If performance is a concern maybe have it be a toggle in the graphics settings. I really hope to see this. Anyways with it being triggered with AI and vehicle will mods be able to accomplish this? I haven't delved too deep into modding this game yet just wondering if it's possible.

It's actually finally happening, what a time to be alive.

Read through the Release Notes. I like the changes to the spear books, I think a spear build will be my first run in A21

I think I'll skip the stream on Wednesday to not spoil myself for the weekend