Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

3 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

So when is the next update where players talking to traders going to generate heat? Also that really spicy one where Rekt instant spawns a screamer due to his rage of us not buying any of his junk. 

Can't wait to see us generate heat for walking and swimming. Think I saw someone even mention rain fall would also generate heat. 7 days to die the heat edition, it's gonna be a toasty one.

I think they already did this.  There are always zombies lined up around the trader when I arrive and they immediately start bashing the walls trying to reach me after I go in.  😀

9 minutes ago, Fren said:

I notice in the server properties it says at some points "only available in Alpha 21+"

(like webpanel, spawn near backpack) 

What is A21+ ??     

21 and possible future versions.
21.0, 21.1, 21.2 or 22.0 and so on.

13 hours ago, Khissi said:

I absolutely do NOT agree that the changes to mod slots for lower tier weapons/gear was needed or should have been implemented. 

I didn't notice this, but now that you brought it up, I 100% agree with TFP for doing this. Stone tools and pipe weapons needed to be nerfed, they were overpowering lower tier iron tools and non-pipe weapons.

If TFP didn't include this change, I probably would have modded it in.

In fact, I would go further, and make them even weaker. Make them not repairable at all, and have a random chance of breaking upon each use (perhaps increasing as the durability decreases). If a pipe weapon breaks, make them explode so the player takes damage roughly equal to the damage from the weapon.

This is supposed to be a survival game after all (among other things of course).

3 hours ago, faatal said:

Individual AI does not care or know about the "heat" map. The AI heat map code spawns a zombie and says go investigate over there. The zombie goes to the point and looks around, then wanders.

Zombies only attack blocks that are in the way of them getting to what they want. What they want is flesh.

Do they still have a chance at smacking something, like a block or workstation, in the way of them and their nav point in the case of screamers and heat map triggered wandering hordes?

1 minute ago, faatal said:

21 and possible future versions.
21.0, 21.1, 21.2 or 22.0 and so on.

Well that's what I thought but the features are "unavailable" to turn on in the server properties :) So I thought it might be some sort of mod like "valheim plus" :') :D😛 

I am looking into the admincontrols atm to see how that has changed :)

Individual AI does not care or know about the "heat" map. The AI heat map code spawns a zombie and says go investigate over there. The zombie goes to the point and looks around, then wanders.

So does crafting a ton of bullets in the work bench also cause *heat* or whatever it's called now to spawn in screamers?  And if it does how much? If it doesn't then why would that not cause *heat* while something else does. 

7 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

So does crafting a ton of bullets in the work bench also cause *heat* or whatever it's called now to spawn in screamers?  And if it does how much? If it doesn't then why would that not cause *heat* while something else does. 

The workbench does cause heat.

I started a new game with the stable...

Yep, I immediately threw away the note at the start, as always... what could go wrong?

Spoiler

Don't do that or you won't get a starter quest.
From now on you probably have to read the note first, haha nice surprise

😆

5 minutes ago, q123 said:

I started a new game with the stable...

Yep, I immediately threw away the note at the start, as always... what could go wrong?

Hide contents

Don't do that or you won't get a starter quest.
From now on you probably have to read the note first, haha nice surprise

😆

hmmm, i have a little modlet to trash it so i dont get it and my starter quest is active and when i completed with the campfire, i was sent to the trader. my a21b324 was updated from a21b323.

so no issue here. sorry :)

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Zombies only attack blocks that are in the way of them getting to what they want. What they want is flesh.

That's what they are supposed to do but not what we have been seeing them do.

1 minute ago, Kalex said:

That's what they are supposed to do but not what we have been seeing them do.

There are a variety of things that could be going on. They don't path constantly. Like they could of heard you first and went to investigate and seeing you did not happen yet. Or if a player is deemed off the ground enough, like you fell or jumped and they entered destroy area mode, which takes a while for them to exit.

Or it could be the bug I fixed yesterday, which is not released yet, where vertical movement of entities did not update their chunk layer, so a search of entities in a bounds using chunks could return incorrect results. That is why the junk sledge would not hit zombies that fell a good distance down to the sledge until the zeds changed the chunk they were in.

Started a new game with stable.  Spawned in about 6-700 meters from the Trader.  I get to the trader and it’s in the middle of nowhere.  It seems the Trader gave only POIs as quests. Started the trek to find town/city.  Half-hour (IRL time) found nothing and finally gave up.  Used God mode to scan around and nothing for miles.

Started a new gen 8k map.  Spawned in close to trader.  Get to the trader (Jen) which is in a city.  I’ve done three quests, as of this writing, and none of the rewards included any magazines.  There are magazines in the trader’s inventory, but so far not in rewards.  Curious.

20 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

let's not mix up things making sense with realism. I don't want the fact that this isn't real life to mean it's ok to craft a spaceship out of duct tape and live in orbit with all of the cows and asparagus.

Ah, so that is where they went  -- the asparagus, not the cows, could care less for them  😉

All these posts about changes being made.....

image.gif.5ae51659ebff42b19ccf8807310d11f9.gif

4 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Ah, so that is where they went  -- the asparagus, not the cows, could care less for them  😉

The asparagus went willingly, but as for the cows, madmole put them there because apparently even the thought of consuming dairy will give him man-boobs.

18 hours ago, Khissi said:

I absolutely do NOT agree that the changes to mod slots for lower tier weapons/gear was needed or should have been implemented.  With the nerf to magazines already slowing progression to a crawl (this does not include try-hards who do nothing but rush, rush, rush, so don't even), this means that even if we find decent mods, we only have ONE slot until we've found enough magazines of that particular type to progress to the next tier of weapon/gear.  Really?  Why did you think this was necessary?  Either fewer magazines  OR  allow us to, at very least, buff our pitiful weapon enough to stay alive to find more magazines. I was okay with the fewer magazines, did just fine since, as I got a few more and could make a little better weapon, I could add some tiny bit of damage with mods! Good grief.  This makes no sense to me.  As it stands, I doubt I'll ever be able to climb back up to the difficulty level I was able to enjoy before.   Sad and annoying...

Trust me, you will be able to play your difficulty level.  If I can play survivor with no mod slots on T0 equipment and they only go to level Q2, you won't have any issues in Alpha 21 vanilla.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:19 AM, NekoPawtato said:

I find it a bit cumbersome having to go between an item's crafting requirements page and the crafting skill menu.

For example if I search for "anvil" and see it needs workstation lv25, I'd like to know how far away I am from that, which means I have to go to the crafting menu and see what level I'm at (It doesn't really help either that the list isn't in alphabetical order, so I have to remember which categories are on which page). It would be nice if the anvil page itself would tell me what level I am relative to the requirement (ex: 10/25), or a way for me to go straight to that page in the crafting menu

I appreciate whoever added the "Skill" shortcut in the item crafting menu that lets us go directly to the relevant skill page now 😄

10 hours ago, nickasaurus rex said:

Why am I only getting +1% mobility when the mod says it gives +2%? Is this a bug I need to file? 

image.png

I'm not sure but I like seeing what equipment you have at level 57 instead of end game stuff at level 30 in previous alphas.

7 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Trust me, you will be able to play your difficulty level.  If I can play survivor with no mod slots on T0 equipment and they only go to level Q2, you won't have any issues in Alpha 21 vanilla.

I would think that changes that cause people to have to initially lower the difficulty level in order to be able to survive would be desirable. If someone always plays Insane but suddenly has to scale back to Warrior, that gives them room to grow and adapt and to eventually get back to Insane again.