Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Everyone's doing a great job there and all those years, all those alphas where totally worth it. Look at this game. I can't list any other survival game that got this amazing quality. Especially the POIs are terrible in most Survival Games. They all kinda use the same POI bought online. They look flat and empty, very boring. Also they are copied so many times over the map. 7dtd got the best POIs out there :)

It also looks better and better every day. There are so many nice features that work properly. In most other survival games I often get bugs and issues with gameplay features. I am so glad, that I found this gem of a game. Thanks for all the work and love you put into it. Indie companies are the future of gaming. They put love into their games :)

I have no idea what is happening with this game anymore because I have very little time to research it like I used to but I am always excited when I hear another Alpha is on the way! I used to have to literally come to the forums to find out if the next Alpha was close, now people are just talking about it, couldn't forget this game even if I tried!

I might have to pay a visit to Ye'olde Navezgane for my first save game this time 'round. 

Praise be to the FunPimps. 💖

58 minutes ago, Diragor said:

Everyone's doing a great job there and all those years, all those alphas where totally worth it. Look at this game. I can't list any other survival game that got this amazing quality. Especially the POIs are terrible in most Survival Games. They all kinda use the same POI bought online. They look flat and empty, very boring. Also they are copied so many times over the map. 7dtd got the best POIs out there :)

It also looks better and better every day. There are so many nice features that work properly. In most other survival games I often get bugs and issues with gameplay features. I am so glad, that I found this gem of a game. Thanks for all the work and love you put into it. Indie companies are the future of gaming. They put love into their games :)

Great point, looting POIs in other survival games is so bland and gets repetitive way to fast imo.

Alot of the time, it's way to easy to cheese the AI in a non destructible POI.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:14 PM, Space4Ace said:

Just wanted to clarify that it's Lathan, not Nathan, as I've seen many people on stream making that same mistake.

Damn....you're right. But some people fell for it.

Sorry Lathan, shame on me.

4 hours ago, Diragor said:

I got a Question to the Vehicle damage. When it's broken (on 0%) what happens when I or a zombie hit it. Would it explode because of low health? Because damn it takes a lot of damage compared to earlier alphas so protecting them becomes important :D

It doesn't blow up.  You can't really do anything with it once it's at 0%.  It'll act just like it does when out of gas.  It will barely move.  But other than the lack of movement and the burning animation, it will just sit there at 0% until you repair it.

42 minutes ago, Riamus said:

It doesn't blow up.  You can't really do anything with it once it's at 0%.  It'll act just like it does when out of gas.  It will barely move.  But other than the lack of movement and the burning animation, it will just sit there at 0% until you repair it.

hmmmm who said nothing happens? :)

i just tested it again in a21 current build and indeed... zombies who are attacking the vehicle (with you in it and the hp of the vehicle is spent) will cause serious health problems for you if you sit in it expecting nothing to happen. :)

but feel free to test it when a21 experimental drops for yourself... and then come back with your findings.

oh and make sure your doctor is on alert status. :)

btw when it is at 0% it is broke and doesnt move so just confirming that much as well.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

"This is Dr. Screamer, what`s your emergency ? Waaaaaaaaa"

Btw, did we have to have the repkits into our belts or inventory, in a matter to repair a vehicle, I think there was a thing about that ? 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, beerfly said:

"This is Dr. Screamer, what`s your emergency ? Waaaaaaaaa"

Btw, did we have to have the repkits into our belts or inventory, in a matter to repair a vehicle, I think there was a thing about that ? 

for now its still used same as always.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

If you notice anything that is not accurate (or even simply wrong!), please feel free to correct me, and I will fix it, thanks. :) 

There's a typo in your list

image.png.994703abcb611a2af3898f7c0a314b5b.png

Of course you wanted to say "dives"...I mean "lives"...I mean "wives" ...I mean "hives" ...I mean "jives" ...I mean.........I'm a trowl. Don't feed me.

On a serious side note:

Thank you very much for your effort,

I'm never able to participate the streams, so this is very helpful!

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Oh, it will blow up, it just does not do it at 0 health. There is extra negative health and after that it becomes a random chance on each hit.

6 minutes ago, faatal said:

Oh, it will blow up, it just does not do it at 0 health. There is extra negative health and after that it becomes a random chance on each hit.

I didn't like this 'till I read that. Now...I like it.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

I get why the bike smokes when broke, it's easier to just use the same effects on all vehicles. Less work and keeps things consistent. 

However it really sticks out like a sore thumb, unless you hook up that bottom bracket to the engine of a car and rev the shiz out of it, there is no possible way for the bearings in that bike to spin so fast they ignite and smoke. 

Do we now make hand tools like the pickaxe and fireaxe erupt in smoke and flames when their durability hits 0? Course not ( I'd hope) because that would be silly and not make any rational sence. 

There are more believable with minimal dev time ways to communicate to the player the bike has broken. You could use sound effects like a tire popping or gears jamming, you could make the wheel animations hitch to make it look like somthing has broken/bent/warped preventing them spinning smoothly. 

Simply copy pasting the fx for the other vehicles on to a bicycle is a very "it's 16:59 on Friday" solution 🤣

1 minute ago, Naz said:

I get why the bike smokes when broke, it's easier to just use the same effects on all vehicles. Less work and keeps things consistent. 

However it really sticks out like a sore thumb, unless you hook up that bottom bracket to the engine of a car and rev the shiz out of it, there is no possible way for the bearings in that bike to spin so fast they ignite and smoke. 

Do we now make hand tools like the pickaxe and fireaxe erupt in smoke and flames when their durability hits 0? Course not ( I'd hope) because that would be silly and not make any rational sence. 

There are more believable with minimal dev time ways to communicate to the player the bike has broken. You could use sound effects like a tire popping or gears jamming, you could make the wheel animations hitch to make it look like somthing has broken/bent/warped preventing them spinning smoothly. 

Simply copy pasting the fx for the other vehicles on to a bicycle is a very "it's 16:59 on Friday" solution 🤣

Chain flapping around, flat tires, hissing noise...

I got some questions about navesgane in alpha 21:

- are some/most of the new pois added to the navesgane map?

- are the towns in navesgane in the same style (downtown area) with new streets and so on like the random gen ones or do the towns still look like they did some alphas ago?

Just curious since i liked the navesgane map a lot but the lack of pois and the cosmetic changes to the random gen world made navesgane look like an outdated map for me

Quick Question. With Spears now having a power attack instead of a throw, what will Spear Hunter 4 and 6 do? Also the final bonus?

4 Used to be increased range and projectile speed, 6 used to be slows targets when hit by thrown spears.

And the final was fhrown spears do more damage to downed zombies. This probably just was changed to power attacks but asking just in case.

5 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

hmmmm who said nothing happens? :)

i just tested it again in a21 current build and indeed... zombies who are attacking the vehicle (with you in it and the hp of the vehicle is spent) will cause serious health problems for you if you sit in it expecting nothing to happen. :)

but feel free to test it when a21 experimental drops for yourself... and then come back with your findings.

btw when it is at 0% it is broke and doesnt move so just confirming that much as well.

I didn't mean you wouldn't get hurt.  I was just referring to the vehicle.  And the vehicles do move without gas and, in the dev stream, Lathan moved after it was broken.  It is just extremely slow.  I wouldn't call it drivable, but it does seem to move in the stream.

4 hours ago, faatal said:

If that is the case, then this has changed from maybe something to mod out to something that must be modded out for me.  It will be the only thing that I feel the need to change.  I don't feel there is any value to destroying something that is expensive to make and potentially has a ton of loot in it.  It is nothing more than an annoyance that will generate anger when it happens and that isn't why I play games.

It isn't even realistic.  You can say the increased damage is to be more realistic, but not exploding vehicles.  Even the strongest person alive couldn't hit a vehicle with their bare hands and cause it to explode unless there was extreme luck in causing a spark (unlikely with bare hands) that just happens to ignite gas fumes and that couldn't happen on a bicycle at all.  So it is a completely unrealistic thing that will likely cause rage quits... And for what value?

Increased damage is already getting to be a pain from what we see.  You went from one extreme (not enough damage) to the other extreme (too much damage).  Wiping out a 4x4 after only 5-6 full speed crashes might be closer to reality (reality being one hit) but it doesn't exactly make the game more fun to have to either drive very slowly and carefully, especially in the wasteland, or to constantly repair the vehicle.

If it was 5% damage per major hit instead of 15-20% per major hit, then I could live with even the exploding vehicle thing as keeping it away from low durability wouldn't be difficult.  But at such high damage, it drops to zero far too easily and if you aren't paying closer enough attention, it just gets blown up.  I mean, I've come out of the trader or POIs and seen a zombie hammering at my vehicle because they couldn't find a way around it.  I don't want to see it getting destroyed for no reason.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)