Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Any chance a multi-return scrapping ever happens? Was just watching G9 loot a Savage Country and he had an inventory full of tank tops and most had dye installed. Would be nice to be able to scrap them with the dye in them and get the cloth and paint so you don't have to remove the dye first. Just a QOL thing. :)

I'm curious how the sky requirements of dew collector works

Can we still put bars over the dew collector and have it function? Thinking about how this could work in a multiplayer scenario where you want to protect the collector within your LCB from random people who could come by and interact with it. (Ideally a dew farm with a roof made of bars would protect against players with gyros)

At least with farming/crops, if LCB setting is set to infinity you could have the farm out in the open and be perfectly fine since random people can't come by and harvest it. But dew collector is different. Unless unallied players can't interact with stuff in another players LCB? Ive never tried 

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Arma Rex said:

More new art that was posted yesterday from the Dekogon contract (apologies mods for the long post).

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8w0lDR

ankur-kaul-final-art-template-dekogon-7daystodie-pictureframe1.jpg?1661514482

ankur-kaul-final-art-template-dekogon-7daystodie-pictureframe2.jpg?1661514489

ankur-kaul-final-art-template-dekogon-7daystodie-pictureframe3.jpg?1661514496

ankur-kaul-final-art-template-dekogon-7daystodie-lightsconce.jpg?1661514435

ankur-kaul-final-art-template-dekogon-7daystodie-lightceiling.jpg?1661514429

ankur-kaul-final-art-template-dekogon-7daystodie-lightcanflush.jpg?1661514417

ankur-kaul-final-art-template-dekogon-7daystodie-steeldoor.jpg?1661514511

Picture frames are a waste of memory/asset space, IMO, if done that way.

They should do like DF where you can put a picture URL in a frame, and it'll display the picture from the internet.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Picture frames are a waste of memory/asset space, IMO, if done that way.

They should do like DF where you can put a picture URL in a frame, and it'll display the picture from the internet.

That would be amazing if you could make an empty picture frame and add your own picture.. from the i-net or just a screenshot/picture taken in 7dtd game itself.  

Like an interactable picture frame. press E, choose different picture to portray from your steam 7d library or something.

Hey @Roland how big is the water voxel approximately, could open up fluid systems in future alpha's if it's small enough, I'm thinking pipes, pumps, valves, fountain blocks(both natural and unnatural to give the illusion of a water fall), Drains, Water sensors(acting as a trigger for devices), working water towers. and what will happen to the waterfall in the desert of Navezgane, is it gonna be removed or just leak water everywhere?

1 hour ago, Buwaro said:

Hey @Roland how big is the water voxel approximately, could open up fluid systems in future alpha's if it's small enough, I'm thinking pipes, pumps, valves, fountain blocks(both natural and unnatural to give the illusion of a water fall), Drains, Water sensors(acting as a trigger for devices), working water towers. and what will happen to the waterfall in the desert of Navezgane, is it gonna be removed or just leak water everywhere?

A normal block right now has all space not filled with material filled with air, right? In A21 there will be two ways, space filled with air OR space filled with water.

So all water voxels will be exactly one block in size as water is just an additional property of a block.

2 hours ago, Buwaro said:

All voxels in the game are basically the same size 1mx1mx1m. Even half-blocks and quarter-blocks maintain the full 1m cubed space which is why floating bases are a thing and when you try to build a base on some POI roofs, everything you place floats above the roof instead of resting flush. While the devs have created some multi-block shapes which make for much larger shapes, there are no micro voxels in the game and there are no plans to add them. Therefore, water voxels are the same size as all other voxels and there are no plans to do micro versions of water voxels to behave as you are describing.

Meganoth is correct that water has a unique property that allows it to flow into the empty spaces of other voxels so that you won't get the visual effect of a cube of water floating above a half-block or see airgaps between voxels and poles and fences. Water voxels are allowed to exist within the space of other voxels but wouldn't be able to flow in a narrow stream through pipes etc.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

14 hours ago, MichaelL. said:

@Roland - Since the subject of voxel water has come up (a subject i have a vested interest in ;) ) :  If you can say, will the new water system utilize imposters in prefabs/tiles, or will it be the same/similar LOD view we get now with the RWG water (oceans/lakes)?  

That is a question best for @faatal

On 8/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, Morloc said:

Before the game is released, are there and plans to have some cool scare-the-crap-out-of-you sounds added (replacement of the zombie attack sounds etc.)?

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

I want to add Will the random creepy sounds come back. The ones that sounded like whispers I think they were in alpha 12

sounds like this from Alpha 11

Or this

Hey if we are getting forced to drink murky water can we rework dysentry?

Currently the random punishment is too... Well random and harsh for doing something you are being forced to.

What I suggest is having a hygiene meter, every dirty action decreases hygiene, getting clawed by a zombie, drinking murky water, wading through dirty water etc.

At certain intervals you get certain negative effects. Some debuffs deplete it quicker (open wounds get infected) and once you reach zero you get infected with that debuff we all hate.

This moves things from random chances to having to manage a certain number of bad events, you can drink murky water up to a point but if you get clawed by a zombie after that you get an infection.

10 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I want to add Will the random creepy sounds come back. The ones that sounded like whispers I think they were in alpha 12

sounds like this from Alpha 11

Or this

I was just thinking the other day how ambient sounds can really improve the game.

I love that they've added the refrigerator 'hum'; things like creaking floorboards / doors, bangs in the distance, could really help with game atmosphere.

Also, since we have mountain lions...how about this effect in the winter biome?

Mountain Lion screams

While reading the last couple pages I started thinking about what changes I would like to see to the game as far as skills go.

I would like to see a couple new melee skills like dodge and parry.
I never feel safe meleeing because the zombies just beat the hell out of you, it would be nice if you could dodge and parry the attacks a little bit.

This is also an opportunity to add a new skill to the melee tree for us to spend skill points on and add a few magazines that are defense oriented.

Edited by Xeen (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, Prydonian said:

So, what happens to our various skills and perks when A21 hits?  Will we be starting characters from scratch in the world we’ve already fortified?

Yes. Just like every major update. But don't worry. Alpha 21 will release to experimental first so you don't have to opt in if you don't want to start over. You can then opt in to Alpha 20.6 before A21 goes stable so that you can remain in your A20 game until you feel you are ready to start over. But if you decide you want to play A21 the day it goes to experimental you will have to start a new game.

52 minutes ago, Prydonian said:

So, what happens to our various skills and perks when A21 hits?  Will we be starting characters from scratch in the world we’ve already fortified?

Half-way right. We start new characters from scratch.. in worlds that also have been restarted from scratch.  - Large, brand new Alphas will utterly trash all old progress. The changes made are too much to use any old saves with - BUT! 2 things worth noting- first, when A21 first hits, it will be an opt-in experimental alpha so.. it wont be the default, but many of us will probably opt it because it's the shiny new thing. Second. After A21 is fully released, we can downgrade back to A20 and continue with your old world until you're ready.

Edit- Curses! 1 minute too slow!

Edited by Mister Forgash (see edit history)

Ahh, so the world reboots as well.  I thought I had read something about that no longer being the case for new alphas going forward, but I must have misunderstood.  Interesting.  Time to export my favorite base, methinks.  I have no objection to starting over, I was just curious!

The general rule is- when the part Before the decimal changes, you'll need to start a new world. Example: A19.0 > A20.0 > A21.0 
If the number after the decimal changes  you'll less likely need to reset the world -but that's not always the case. Example: A20.1 > A20.2 > A20.3

Edited by Mister Forgash
dumb stuff (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Yes. Just like every major update. But don't worry. Alpha 21 will release to experimental first so you don't have to opt in if you don't want to start over. You can then opt in to Alpha 20.6 before A21 goes stable so that you can remain in your A20 game until you feel you are ready to start over. But if you decide you want to play A21 the day it goes to experimental you will have to start a new game.

If there is ONE feature which I am indescribably grateful for (XML configs edges ahead though!), it is that TFP have taken the amazing decision to give us access to which version we want, allowing us to easily play and enjoy even old versions. I can't think of any other game developer who's been so respectful of the player's desire to enjoy their game, their version of choice, and made this so easy.

Thank you TFP!

On 9/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, Arma Rex said:

More new Dekogon artwork, this time of the new X-Ray images.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/G80DYd

7 Days to Die

7 Days to Die

7 Days to Die

7 Days to Die

switches are in the same position wether the lights are on or off.....  also the L and R are put in the part of the x-ray where there wont be an image so it doesnt cover anything... nit picking i know but its still wrong...lol

24 minutes ago, spud42 said:

switches are in the same position wether the lights are on or off.....  also the L and R are put in the part of the x-ray where there wont be an image so it doesnt cover anything... nit picking i know but its still wrong...lol

Not nit picking, important information sometimes! Much like people who know guns highlighted that for A20, some designs of the new weapons were insanely dumb, with one even had a scope on backwards?

That said, the 'off' is probably not off, as much as "power outage", so the switch would be the same.