Petition/request/suggetion (pick yourself idk) about 7DTD X L4D2 crossover

Matt115

Okay so... i love L4D2 and 7DTD. Valve loves crossosovers - they have even crossover with lego.

So @madmole @faatal @Laz Man and rest of they team- i beg you guys to discuss about asking Valve to make crossover. I know this can be hard but : a lot of valve games have crossovers and 7dtd is pretty popular so you have chance to get their permittion. Well i understand it would be after 1.0 but i hear that this types of "deal" need a lot of meeting etc so... i think it would be just good for everyone : TFP , Valve and gamers,

@Roland @meganoth @Jost Amman @beerfly @Guppycur @Red Eagle LXIX @JCrook1028@BFT2020 and rest of you all - i counting on you. I know devs now have a lot of work but.. if a lot of people will say what they think about this crossover  i think they will find a while to talk about that. 

I don't know what to write more so... thanks for every comment in this topic :) 

Hmm...maybe don't @-spam the devs and mods. Posting into Pimp Dreams forum might be the best place for your wish list. But I am curious what [zombie game] x [zombie game] looks like as a 'crossover'. A recognizable character appearing in each other's game? An Easter-egg Shotgun Messiah crate in L4D?

From a business standpoint, I don't see much incentive from Valve's point of view to include 7D2D assets in their game. They have a very successful, multi-million-copy-selling zombie game franchise. Why give a smaller competitor advertising in their game? Does it somehow push more units? Valve would probably make TFP pay for the privilege!

In the other direction, maybe there's a small incentive, but I wouldn't think TFP would be interested in any sort of crossover with L4D assets until 7D2D is established as a finished game, and showing success. And there still wouldn't be much incentive for Valve to allow such a crossover, e.g. to license the assets. Again, why give a boost to a relatively direct competitor? Only if there is legit chance to capture more audience for your game.

I think when these things happen it's either between rough equals with stable user bases, like when very-popular Fighting Game A's character makes a cameo in very-popular Fighting Game B, or between somewhat-to-very different franchises. For example a Lego x L4D crossover. Neither is a threat to the other and the x-over could really go either way: zombie-themed Lego game, or Lego as build components in the zombie game. See also Mass Effect's SSV Normandy showing up in No Man's Sky. There you have an asset from a monster-huge franchise showing up in a smaller studio's game. Probably it cost Hello Games non-trivial ducats to get that license and EA didn't really see NMS as a direct competitor. Possibly NMS players unfamiliar with Mass Effect would see the ship and think, "wow that looks cool I wonder what game it's from?" and push a few more units of Mass Effect. NMS gets a shiny event to keep players engaged and EA maybe gets a bit of advertising.

That type of business relationship probably doesn't make sense between Valve and TFP. Maybe when 7D2D is the dominant zombie experience, as has been prophesied.

Creatively, I could see TFP saying, "why the f--- would we want their crap in our game? We are kicking an entirely different collection of ass." :) 

5 minutes ago, Boidster said:

From a business standpoint

And that is why we can't have fun things.. :) I wouldn't mind seeing an edgar-sized mini-tank tossing around mini-bikes as a "cameo", would make for a suitably sarcastic implementation of a behemoth.. And for business perspective, each copy of 7dtd sold is money in the vaults of Valve, isn't it..?

1 hour ago, ElCabong said:

What is a crossover in this context?

I will write about that below

21 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Hmm...maybe don't @-spam the devs and mods. Posting into Pimp Dreams forum might be the best place for your wish list. But I am curious what [zombie game] x [zombie game] looks like as a 'crossover'. A recognizable character appearing in each other's game? An Easter-egg Shotgun Messiah crate in L4D?

From a business standpoint, I don't see much incentive from Valve's point of view to include 7D2D assets in their game. They have a very successful, multi-million-copy-selling zombie game franchise. Why give a smaller competitor advertising in their game? Does it somehow push more units? Valve would probably make TFP pay for the privilege!

In the other direction, maybe there's a small incentive, but I wouldn't think TFP would be interested in any sort of crossover with L4D assets until 7D2D is established as a finished game, and showing success. And there still wouldn't be much incentive for Valve to allow such a crossover, e.g. to license the assets. Again, why give a boost to a relatively direct competitor? Only if there is legit chance to capture more audience for your game.

I think when these things happen it's either between rough equals with stable user bases, like when very-popular Fighting Game A's character makes a cameo in very-popular Fighting Game B, or between somewhat-to-very different franchises. For example a Lego x L4D crossover. Neither is a threat to the other and the x-over could really go either way: zombie-themed Lego game, or Lego as build components in the zombie game. See also Mass Effect's SSV Normandy showing up in No Man's Sky. There you have an asset from a monster-huge franchise showing up in a smaller studio's game. Probably it cost Hello Games non-trivial ducats to get that license and EA didn't really see NMS as a direct competitor. Possibly NMS players unfamiliar with Mass Effect would see the ship and think, "wow that looks cool I wonder what game it's from?" and push a few more units of Mass Effect. NMS gets a shiny event to keep players engaged and EA maybe gets a bit of advertising.

That type of business relationship probably doesn't make sense between Valve and TFP. Maybe when 7D2D is the dominant zombie experience, as has been prophesied.

Creatively, I could see TFP saying, "why the f--- would we want their crap in our game? We are kicking an entirely different collection of ass." :) 

About business standpoint:  well Valve did this before with RE6 - it was added into L4D2  as addons in workshop by Chet Faliszek . Well this way was easier.  Btw it is exception but in opposive way work often -> valve "lend" character even to small games and studios : Battle Nations get tf2 characters, Renegade ops get Gordon Freeman. More famouse games- DL1 X L4D2, re6 X l4d2 , NZA x l4d2 , lego dimensions x portal , bridge contructor x portal etc.  From Valve point of view - they don't earn (at least too much) on selling L4D2 or Portal so this crossover will allow them to sell this games again (dl1 and l4d2 combo pack) and... well Valve earn always if someone buy 7dtd on steam.

About figting game ... well Geralt was added into soul calibur . Even terraria get crossover with don't starve, And terraria with dungeon defenders. 

So let say : TFP adding witch from L4D2 ( with changes like no one hit kill but still big dmg), spider zombie have hunter variant ( works this same just diffrent model and sound), cop zombie get boomer variant, and rad zombie spilitter variant and ( well we will get probably legendary unique weapon/tools into 7dtd) legendary M16 with text like "weapon of true green beret" or shotgun with text" i hate zombies" . And into l4d2 is added by workshop as official 7dtd addons colletion - screamer as witch, fat cop as boomer , spider as hunter. So this would works and would be pretty cheap ( it will return input for sure).

Btw : Valve isn't EA or Activison so they care about their good opinion a lot -  so they doing a lot of unsual things like Gabe Newell Makes A Surprise Appearance In A Kickstarter Video - Game Informer  

Well so i think Valve would agree to make crossover after full release of 7dtd, And this not "busting competitor" because....  7dtd is like shoes and L4D2 like pants - both of them are clothes but they are diffrent enough. I think for 7dtd competitior is Valheim or Minecraft and for l4d2  kiling floor or  B4B

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

And that is why we can't have fun things.. :) I wouldn't mind seeing an edgar-sized mini-tank tossing around mini-bikes as a "cameo", would make for a suitably sarcastic implementation of a behemoth.. And for business perspective, each copy of 7dtd sold is money in the vaults of Valve, isn't it..?

Yep that's true

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Okay so... i love L4D2 and 7DTD. Valve loves crossosovers - they have even crossover with lego.

So @madmole @faatal @Laz Man and rest of they team- i beg you guys to discuss about asking Valve to make crossover. I know this can be hard but : a lot of valve games have crossovers and 7dtd is pretty popular so you have chance to get their permittion. Well i understand it would be after 1.0 but i hear that this types of "deal" need a lot of meeting etc so... i think it would be just good for everyone : TFP , Valve and gamers,

@Roland @meganoth @Jost Amman @beerfly @Guppycur @Red Eagle LXIX @JCrook1028@BFT2020 and rest of you all - i counting on you. I know devs now have a lot of work but.. if a lot of people will say what they think about this crossover  i think they will find a while to talk about that. 

I don't know what to write more so... thanks for every comment in this topic :) 

Why do you think I would want the same crossovers than you? I don't even own L4D.

I want a factorio crossover. 😉

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Why do you think I would want the same crossovers than you? I don't even own L4D.

If I could smash Factorio and 7D2D together into one game, I think I'd never need another game again.

I certainly don't want a cross-over with anything at all. 7DTD is great enough on its own and I personally want it to grow upon the core design it was built upon. I don't wanna see other designers change the game into something else because the 7DTD formula does work and is successful enough without needing to "merge" with another concept. From what I've seen of Back 4 Blood, I don't want this design to mingle with 7DTD, in any kind of way whatsoever.

As far as im concerned, these kinds of requests are annoying and disrespectful to what the Pimps developed since the Kickstarter cornerstone, up to what the game looks today. Let 7DTD be what it is and what it wants to be.

Now I know you'll want to reply to me with a wall of text and this will not motivate me to pursue the discussion, I'm just letting you know. A merge with another franchise is pointless to me, you won't change my mind.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

Well i was a little bit inaccurate : i mean : please guys write what do you think about that idea. 

Well i think Factorio crossover would be possible. I'm not joking.

Add very rare escape pod with weapon from factorio and maybe spidertron in some location. Even bitters and worms could be added in wasteland.

So yep this could work

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Sorry @Matt115, but I (mostly) agree with Boidster here. :peep:

Also, if TFP were ever to agree to this, it would probably be with their next game.

They have much more experience now, both as developers and as game industry businessmen.

Hard to say... because we don't know what type of game it will be. It can be horror game like little nighmares or point and click or dunno racer. I see few possibility in 7dtd but honestly until they will annouced another game i can't say what can be done 

34 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I am thinking of Conan Exiles. FIghting huge boss zombies with the combat system from CE could be fun.

Well this can't work because technical issues and tons of work. Crossovers are simpler. For example how 7dtd X conan crossover would work - add small POI - Skeleton hanging on cross and under skeleton you can find sword as legendary machete with text connected to conan exile. I suggest l4d2 because - valve love crossovers, it would be easy and cheap to make and similiar visual style

18 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

I certainly don't want a cross-over with anything at all. 7DTD is great enough on its own and I personally want it to grow upon the core design it was built upon. I don't wanna see other designers change the game into something else because the 7DTD formula does work and is successful enough without needing to "merge" with another concept. From what I've seen of Back 4 Blood, I don't want this design to mingle with 7DTD, in any kind of way whatsoever.

As far as im concerned, these kinds of requests are annoying and disrespectful to what the Pimps developed since the Kickstarter cornerstone, up to what the game looks today. Let 7DTD be what it is and what it wants to be.

Now I know you'll want to reply to me with a wall of text and this will not motivate me to pursue the discussion, I'm just letting you know. A merge with another franchise is pointless to me, you won't change my mind.

i  don't suggest to make crossover with B4B 0.o . L4D2 have more similiar design to 7dtd - church from dead toll , witch would or bill's m16 would suit into 7dtd well. 

About disrespectful - this not work in that way. Crossover is another sigh that game is popular . Terraria is popular , don't starve, resident evil , dead by daylight - and this games have pretty good crossovers. i will not trying to change your mind. I just that can be fun and interesting idea - i love terminator in new MK, i love deerclops added into terraria, payday no mercy heist or  bill in dead by daylight - this add a lot of good to both franchise in my opinion

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

i  don't suggest to make crossover with B4B 0.o . L4D2 have more similiar design to 7dtd - church from dead toll , witch would or bill's m16 would suit into 7dtd well. 

About disrespectful - this not work in that way. Crossover is another sigh that game is popular . Terraria is popular , don't starve, resident evil , dead by daylight - and this games have pretty good crossovers. i will not trying to change your mind. I just that can be fun and interesting idea - i love terminator in new MK, i love deerclops added into terraria, payday no mercy heist or  bill in dead by daylight - this add a lot of good to both franchise in my opinion

Whatever it is, L4D or B4B (which is basically a sequel to previous L4D games), I don't care. 7DTD doesn't need that.

The Terminator in MK11 isn't a crossover, it's a cameo. It's just the character's image that is programmed and animated on the model of MK11, it's not an element from another game that's incorporated in it.

When I say disrespectful, it's that way of tagging everyone you know that's part of the team and I'm curious to see if you'd tag everyone of the 60 staff members if you'd know their names... That kind of insistance is bothersome, it feels like a kid pulling on mommy's dress non-stop, asking her to give them something until she gives in. You already mentioned that the team is having a @%$# ton of work to do on the game, no need to add anything on this that isn't even part of the 7DTD universe.

I dunno why some people claim they love so much 7DTD... but tries to change its identity constantly. Why? Some people made an overhaul mod that plays like Fallout... I can honestly salute the efforts of those modders, but then again, why don't you go play Fallout if you want Fallout?? 🤷

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

I dunno why some people claim they love so much 7DTD... but tries to change its identity constantly. Why? Some people made an overhaul mod that plays like Fallout... I can honestly salute the efforts of those modders, but then again, why don't you go play Fallout if you want Fallout?? 🤷

Fallout doesn't have a complete destructible world for one thing.....

So for a modder that is doing a complete overhaul, they are using the engine / core elements of the game but changing the setting.  It is much easier to make a Fallout setting in 7 Days to Die than to change the Fallout game to make it into a game with a completely destructible world.

2 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

So for a modder that is doing a complete overhaul, they are using the engine / core elements of the game but changing the setting.  It is much easier to make a Fallout setting in 7 Days to Die than to change the Fallout game to make it into a game with a completely destructible world.

Not a valuable reason to me but I do understand your point.

30 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

Not a valuable reason to me but I do understand your point.

We all have a reason why we mod this or that.  I play with all the recipes pulled from the perks, you can only get things unlocked by either finding the schematic or finding it at the trader to purchase.  Probably not the most interesting way for most people to play this game, but I find the unpredictability and having to adjust my gameplay a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, Kyonshi said:

When I say disrespectful, it's that way of tagging everyone you know that's part of the team

Not even sure why I was tagged.  I am not part of the TFP team, just a gamer with too much time on his hands and a willing to post my thoughts / opinions  😄

38 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

Whatever it is, L4D or B4B (which is basically a sequel to previous L4D games), I don't care. 7DTD doesn't need that.

The Terminator in MK11 isn't a crossover, it's a cameo. It's just the character's image that is programmed and animated on the model of MK11, it's not an element from another game that's incorporated in it.

When I say disrespectful, it's that way of tagging everyone you know that's part of the team and I'm curious to see if you'd tag everyone of the 60 staff members if you'd know their names... That kind of insistance is bothersome, it feels like a kid pulling on mommy's dress non-stop, asking her to give them something until she gives in. You already mentioned that the team is having a @%$# ton of work to do on the game, no need to add anything on this that isn't even part of the 7DTD universe.

it's not basically sequel - l4d2 and B4B are diffrent like cod and bf - yes it's looks similiar but it is diffrent. Well so this like say " contagion is basically a quel to no more room is hell". Even art style in l4d2 and B4B is diffrent.  I gave Terminator because... i like terminator lol. But better example can be sub zero in Injustice 2 - sub zero is mk characters but he is canon. Even more - left 4 dead survivors are canon in nazi zombie army too - they have even comic how they ended in this world. Bill is part of dead by daylight too etc. 

Cameo is something diffrent - it will be if let say termitor would show up in background in mk on one of the map. Well i think nobody explain about 7dtd x l4d2 crossover :) 

Damn there is a diffrent bettwenn mods, diffrent games and crossovers XD tony pro skater have darth maul as playable character so this not mean i want to play in dunno.... fallen order XD. In re6 mercy mod is something like time limited  horde mode. You have characters from RE universe even from previouse games. Adding characters from l4d don't change to much but it fun because they have diffrent loadout and mini tank and witch are good enemies in this mod. But this don't mean i want play in l4d2. DL1 you can get l4d2 frying pan. DL1 had crossover even with chilvary. And it was cool

14 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Well that's true

5 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

We all have a reason why we mod this or that.  I play with all the recipes pulled from the perks, you can only get things unlocked by either finding the schematic or finding it at the trader to purchase.  Probably not the most interesting way for most people to play this game, but I find the unpredictability and having to adjust my gameplay a lot of fun.

Not even sure why I was tagged.  I am not part of the TFP team, just a gamer with too much time on his hands and a willing to post my thoughts / opinions  😄

I tagged not only stuff but people who writing a lot but in another part of this post

5 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Yeah but that way you play with the recipes (which i admit is a cool idea) is still a way to play within the boundaries of the game, without adding or transplant another concept from another franchise, which is the base of this whole thread and discussion. That's not really the point I was making.

It's like me doing my current "ninja" Agility build and not using any firearms whatsoever. I restrained myself with this self-imposed challenge without adding Ryu Hayabusa in the game, pretending it's a "cross-over" 7DTD needs to have and pressing the devs to consider talking with Team Ninja/Tecmo for it to happen.

10 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

Yeah but that way you play with the recipes (which i admit is a cool idea) is still a way to play within the boundaries of the game, without adding or transplant another concept from another franchise, which is the base of this whole thread and discussion. That's not really the point I was making.

It's like me doing my current "ninja" Agility build and not using any firearms whatsoever. I restrained myself with this self-imposed challenge without adding Ryu Hayabusa in the game, pretending it's a "cross-over" 7DTD needs to have and pressing the devs to consider talking with Team Ninja/Tecmo for it to happen.

God... crossover is not totaly rework of game - it is just adding few weapons, enemies and maybe character from diffrent game-  not change of gameplay xd

Adding for example : new ak47 into l4d2 with 10% chance to spawn this variant woudn't change a lot.  xd

8 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

What?  A biter in a crate maybe  😉

THIS COULD BE DONE !!!!!

Only game TFP should look into is Zomboid and try to implement some if its survival aspect (food, cooking, hunger, clothing, maybe even sleep/rest) into this game... it would be just perfect.

I'll see myself out now :)