A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

8 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

it will make the map bigger without changing it's size.

I agree that this is better than just making bigger maps, and there's a whole bunch of other ways they can increase density as well: 

- terrain: make inclines steeper and less "noisy". Steeper inclines can allow the same elevation change in smaller areas, which frees up significant area for use. 

- POIs: they just need to make everything closer together. Compare gravestown with a random gen town, and you'll see what I mean, but they could go even farther. I'm talking things like alleyways that are actually constricting to players/Z's, are too small to fit anything above a motorcycle, and are tight to the point that untrained eyes will struggle to see many as separate POI's.

verticality: basically what you mentioned, but with more underground focus. HL2 levels, essentially. 

Just now, Horatio Chachi said:

I agree that this is better than just making bigger maps, and there's a whole bunch of other ways they can increase density as well: 

- terrain: make inclines steeper and less "noisy". Steeper inclines can allow the same elevation change in smaller areas, which frees up significant area for use. 

- POIs: they just need to make everything closer together. Compare gravestown with a random gen town, and you'll see what I mean, but they could go even farther. I'm talking things like alleyways that are actually constricting to players/Z's, are too small to fit anything above a motorcycle, and are tight to the point that untrained eyes will struggle to see many as separate POI's.

verticality: basically what you mentioned, but with more underground focus. HL2 levels, essentially. 

Well L4d2 would be better example that l4d2 because  it looks more simlar : train stop near a cementary  , hotel near the park , highway near bridge. So some POI's can be connected like: POI trainstation have a rails right? and if you go with the rails you can find tunnel or broken train or bridge. Military outpost can best near value points near road like tunnels ( but it is diffrent poi) or gas station . So creating a way to connect POI each other will be good idea and logical. Well better to be outpost near crossroad near a gas station and bridge that in  just random field with nothing nearby. 

After playing with random generated maps for a weekend and exploring everyone I rolled I've come to the conclusion that certain POIs are weighted too heavily. For instance churches. Every town I come across seems to have multiple. I also have a map with 3 Shamway factories all in a 4x4 block city. I have yet to find a city without one yet it took me three cities to find a single bookstore.

1 hour ago, Urban Blackbear said:

After playing with random generated maps for a weekend and exploring everyone I rolled I've come to the conclusion that certain POIs are weighted too heavily. For instance churches. Every town I come across seems to have multiple. I also have a map with 3 Shamway factories all in a 4x4 block city. I have yet to find a city without one yet it took me three cities to find a single bookstore.

The churches one makes sense to me. I live in a town of around 200 people and we have 3 freaking churches within 2 blocks of each other.

13 hours ago, n2n1 said:

Why is Kinyajuu silent ?

Whats worse is the silence from Madmole.   Not that I personally care if he interacts here much or not but I believe the last time he was detached from an Alpha was 17 and we saw how that turned out. 

I'm hoping that the new baby (what ever the new game is) is not making him neglect the older sibling that still needs TLC :(

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Whats worse is the silence from Madmole.   Not that I personally care if he interacts here much or not but I believe the last time he was detached from an Alpha was 17 and we saw how that turned out. 

I'm hoping that the new baby (what ever the new game is) is not making him neglect the older sibling that still needs TLC :(

Sure you don't.... we all love madmole

Just now, Matt115 said:

well he looks rly cool and improvment is just... like change a sword into a machine gun

he just looks like a Hobo hunter!

Quick question: 

In another thread we were talking about the effectiveness of HP and AP ammo and it was pointed out that HP no longer does any damage whatsoever to armored targets and this was a fix applied to the latest patch.  That makes the text confusing.  To me, and I think most people, +100% armor means armor protection is doubled, not that the zed is invulnerable to that ammo type.  I see comments on fixing AP rounds in the change notes but nothing on the HP rounds.  

Is this behavior intended or should I be putting this in the bug report section?

4 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

as far as i know it will remain "The Fun Pimps". they like it and see no need to change the title. :)

This comment is so funny that I quickly went to tell my husband. We earn 6000 dukes a week from home just by mining on day 7. Just click the link below and see what happens.

50 minutes ago, FA_Q2 said:

Quick question: 

In another thread we were talking about the effectiveness of HP and AP ammo and it was pointed out that HP no longer does any damage whatsoever to armored targets and this was a fix applied to the latest patch.  That makes the text confusing.  To me, and I think most people, +100% armor means armor protection is doubled, not that the zed is invulnerable to that ammo type.  I see comments on fixing AP rounds in the change notes but nothing on the HP rounds.  

Is this behavior intended or should I be putting this in the bug report section?

The appropriate thing to do is to submit it as a bug (ie..you aren't getting the expected result) and let the QA guys let you know if it is behaving as designed or not. Developers don't have time to vet what goes in the bug reports. It is the QA guys' job to vet reports.

So submit it if you're suspicious.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Roland said:

The appropriate thing to do is to submit it as a bug (ie..you aren't getting the expected result) and let the QA guys let you know if it is behaving as designed or not. Developers don't have time to vet what goes in the bug reports. It is the QA guys' job to vet reports.

So submit it if you're suspicious.

Done.  Will see if that is how they wanted it.

3 hours ago, Urban Blackbear said:

Listen, I live in Appalachia so I can't throw a rock without hitting a church. One of them even handles snakes. That doesn't mean a game can't have a little more balance.

oh that makes sense. NM

1 hour ago, Demonoid74 said:

7 Days to Die 2 : The Electric Boogaloo

or 

an actual Pimp Simulation game...

or 

A combination of the above 2! 

That is what I think the other project is! ;)

madmole has left us :(

its ok snowdog... we will get him back soon!

3 hours ago, kexes said:

Do you plan to add more end game related stuff to the game before or after its release? I think about for example more complex quests or even quest chains, stronger and /or boss like zombies, more high tier POIs or any features etc. Currently the tier 5 quests having only 3-4 types of buildings (at least in RWG maps) that the trader gives quest POI locations. And its become repetitive very fast :)

I hope so, that plus some new traps would be great!

• Crater Creator changed the title to A20 Developer Diary Discussions
  • Roland unpinned this topic