A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

16 minutes ago, xyth said:
  On 10/31/2020 at 7:06 PM, FranticDan said:

Since there will be more loot containers that will be locked and require lockpicking to get into them, will there be or have you thought about adding a lockpicking minigame with progressively harder locks to pick depending on the loot container?

MM replied:  No, lockpicking is shippable as is. Sure a minigame might be better but we're a small team and we can do more quest types or redo features that are shippable already.

SphereII and I coded and released a lockpicking minigame mod which your welcome to use as a starting point.   Its tied into the perk and inventory system, and resembles the one in Skyrim.  I'd love to see it added to the base game.

It's minigames like this that make the world immersive.  

4 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

TBH im fine the way it is. i just kinda wish it was a bit harder

or maybe they could put "Infiltrator and lock picking" into the same perk.
Think about it!

what is one way to Infiltrate Something? Lockpicking!, plus it could make room for another perk. or not. thats cool too, i don't make the game :) 

The problem of mini-games IMHO is that they are mini, but you have to have fun doing them dozens to hundreds of times in a game.

I can think of a few possible variants, and I like none of them:

1) puzzle games that challenge your brain, but what is hard for one user may be trivial to someone else. And most puzzle games that are solvable in the matter of seconds get trivial very fast

2) reaction based games. The same problem, very hard for older players, trivial for a 16 year old fortnight player. And personally I really really hate stuff like that. If you really like to play a reaction game hundreds of times in a game, get yourself a C64 emulator and play stuff like Olympic Games.

3) Shooting stuff. Similar to reaction games, also we have enough shooting built into the game, we don't need a second-rate version in a mini-game as well.

4) puzzle game with heavy randomness, for example a card game like poker. May be the most fair solution, but again difficult to get something engaging when it has to be over in 10 seconds. After the 20th time you will have your strategy fixed and mechanically do the same things again and again until you get lucky.

41 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

I enjoy the lockpicking and hacking in fallout. I'd love to see hacking added, but only for specific things like story driven sections. And to disable hostile turrets and other electrical traps for infiltration quests? 

I'd like to also see more traps in prefabs, like POI versions of blade traps for example but they have increased damage resistance so it'll be faster to disable them through hacking, or they could be stuck powered on and you have to find another way around them. Same for turrets, but perhaps you could also add a version that is weak to projectiles to destroy them, being able to loot destroyed turrets for some ammo would be cool too!

2 minutes ago, Demonoid74 said:

Fishing is a mini game that people always spend WAY to much time in just about every game it is put in...since Everquest , WoW , Final Fantasy , Minecraft

Just sayin' ;)

Do we want to be those people? Fishing is an activity that usually can be ignored if you don't like it.  I'd still want to open those safes though and not have to play strength all the time.

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Do we want to be those people? Fishing is an activity that usually can be ignored if you don't like it.  I'd still want to open those safes though and not have to play strength all the time.

can't wait to get M E A T!  from a Rod with a string

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

i dont like the current lock pick anyway. i dont think watching a timer go down that randomly fails is fun. especially when it burns thru all your picks and you have to smash it open anyway. i just smash them open.

got a pick anyways so why waste a slot in inventory for picks or 2 if you gave jailbreakers.

id rather it always worked, always cost a pick, and length of time got shorter with perks, or can only pick harder containers as you perk up. 

not the current rng frustration 

3 hours ago, xyth said:
  On 10/31/2020 at 7:06 PM, FranticDan said:

Since there will be more loot containers that will be locked and require lockpicking to get into them, will there be or have you thought about adding a lockpicking minigame with progressively harder locks to pick depending on the loot container?

MM replied:  No, lockpicking is shippable as is. Sure a minigame might be better but we're a small team and we can do more quest types or redo features that are shippable already.

SphereII and I coded and released a lockpicking minigame mod which your welcome to use as a starting point.   Its tied into the perk and inventory system, and resembles the one in Skyrim.  I'd love to see it added to the base game.

lockpick.jpg

3 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Is it in the mod launcher? I'd like to try it out. Do you think that particular minigame would still be immersive and fun after many plays? I've played both lock picking minigames and fishing minigames that led me to stop doing those activities. But there are some simple ones that I don't mind. For example....The fishing in Stardew Valley means I rarely fish in that game. It is just too frustrating for me. But the fishing in Animal Crossing is simply listening for a different sound and watching for a different visual cue and responding immediately and you always succeed. That one stays engaging.

I would be happy with a lock picking mechanic in the same vein. Stick the tool in and you hear some light clicks and randomly a heavy click and if you press the button right after the heavy click then you succeed and if you don't then the pick breaks. It's simple, fast, and simply relies upon reacting to a different sound cue and as long as you do it correctly you succeed. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

one of the best lock picking mini games...was the old SSI D&D offshoot arcade style game Hillsfar made by the guys from Westwood Studios...

Best fishing mini game...eh , none have been great in any of the MMORPG's and Minecrafts is just like WoW's...see the bobber move and hear the sound , click on it...

I would definitely like to see more on unique and legendary loots and how that will work in this game...insert that Borderlands style have to keep killing and looting @%$# till you find that perfect tool , weapon , armor etc. I think will help wanting to play the same game even longer

Ideally for a really good locking picking mini game it needs more challenge then just having to worry about your pick magically getting weaker the tougher the lock is and instead actually change the lock to be tougher. For example altering the mechanics of picking it similar to real world lock picking where the number/type of pins is what matters and the locks design.

Edit - Yes I watch way too much of the Locking Picking Lawyer on Youtube. 

Edited by Danidas (see edit history)

After playing alpha 19 now for a while, I can say it's the best alpha I've played. I'm still enjoying it now after a few months. So big thanks for that.

Alpha 20 with the new stuff if gonna be awesome. I'm really looking forward to vehicle mods. The new outfits sound cool. I like the idea of skins too so we don't all look the same. If that makes it in ofc. Watching the streams really makes you want alpha 20 now haha.  

3 hours ago, Toban said:

After playing alpha 19 now for a while, I can say it's the best alpha I've played. I'm still enjoying it now after a few months. So big thanks for that.

Alpha 20 with the new stuff if gonna be awesome. I'm really looking forward to vehicle mods. The new outfits sound cool. I like the idea of skins too so we don't all look the same. If that makes it in ofc. Watching the streams really makes you want alpha 20 now haha.  

same, when i see a new alpha, i kinda look at the base game like

"i don't want you, i want you!"

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

same, when i see a new alpha, i kinda look at the base game like

"i don't want you, i want you!"

Hehe, yeah. Gimme now haha. Some of the stuff looks so cool, I super excited to see what mods they do for the vehicles.

19 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

thats 2ed tier is going to be burnt forset. (the rest, idk)

I'm thinking it was forest, burnt forest, snow, desert, & then wasteland. 

Which is cool & all but I admit I do miss the plains. I hate the snow biome, lumberjacks & leopards are pains in the a$$ and I don't wear coats & stuff so I'm always freezing. 

Guess I should force myself to do a playthrough where I live in snow biome, was my plan on ps4 before I made the switch to pc....& LOVING IT!!

On 10/30/2020 at 1:35 AM, Blake_ said:

I ain't counting bedrock as a problem. That's a tech limit.

Traders are not a tech limit and therefore negatively impact gameplay features (they can delay and nullify wandering hordes, partially protect against hordes and affect creativity due to building constraints in the area)  . And so will main story undestroyable features/entities. I'm just saying... it can be fixed with proper coding exactly as I said in the previous post. Not easily, but definitely not as difficult or time consuming as, say, a shape menu system. Properly done it would improve gameplay and wouldn't affect quests, trading or rewards in the slightest.

That said, I understand that there are bigger fishes to fry at the moment.

looking forward to the mod you make to "correct" that feature once A20 hits

Are we ever going to get a player character revamp? Like the way the characters themselves actually look. I want to be pretty/sexy while I axe zombie skulls please lol 

Conan Exiles has some great looking player characters, for example.

2 hours ago, Lunaura said:

Are we ever going to get a player character revamp? Like the way the characters themselves actually look. I want to be pretty/sexy while I axe zombie skulls please lol 

Read the first page before asking. 

10 hours ago, Lunaura said:

You mean below the waist? 😉

I can't understand the decisions about the armor?
Why do I have to change it for example questing and cooking to get te best results?

This expects to have more armor with me for longer rides or not?

Another question is why do you change the zombies design instead of having more of them?

For me these decisions make the gameplay worse not better!!!!

44 minutes ago, Erdberg said:

I can't understand the decisions about the armor?
Why do I have to change it for example questing and cooking to get te best results?

This expects to have more armor with me for longer rides or not?

Another question is why do you change the zombies design instead of having more of them?

For me these decisions make the gameplay worse not better!!!!

you kind of missed some discussions about it.

Armor... Well is not my taste so far too, especially the part that everything gets deleted and those premade outfits remain. i do hope dye and Transmog will become available in later alphas. The mechanic itself is easy explained: Role play and decicion making. you are forced to think twice what you do, how you do it.

Zombies: you got wrong informations.

Yes old ones get overhauled ( some direly needed) but they also told us they will bring a LOT of new ones with special abilities.

On 11/6/2020 at 12:39 AM, RestInPieces said:

Hope you don't stop at biome modifiers and add stacking town and POI modifiers, plus some extra dynamic modifiers that change with stuff like weather, time, debuffs etc. You've got a wealth of content in the game. Shake things up a bit, give us more varied playthroughs, less inclusive lootlists so that everything isn't everywhere and long-term goals like the radiation zones you are planning. And stop playing Skyrim and play some Rimworld for god's sake MM 😛

This, exactly this! Make cities the end game not the Day 1 loot fest!