Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

On 1/27/2022 at 11:35 PM, Jost Amman said:

Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the turrets... I was using a sledge turret during a BM night, and it worked ok, until it was half in the night, and it fell down "one floor" in my base. I have A20.1 latest, but still using a map generated with A20 b238.

Same for me, map generated in A20 b238 but updated to 20.1.  I've tried to even start carrying 3 robotics and 1 sledge for BM.  Well before the end of the night they all have fallen and are inside the last player built block resting on soil.  Don't seem to fall farther than the soil though.

Did try recreating something similar in a A20.1 generated map and couldn't really reproduce, seemed to be a bit more... sturdy but not really sure why that would be the case.  May get tired with my A20 map and just start fresh to see if it is actually better.

12 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

Wonder how the AI for bandits will be handled. Adding a more intelligent enemy to this kind of game really hasn't ever been done before.

Mmm... that's not entirely true.  When they initially included bandits in the files they were pretty fun and used *very* basic AI, this was back in a15 I think?

...and of course now there is an M-word where you can hire them, assign them duties, and they heal themselves, use weapons, inventory control, "attack, run, loot, follow, backup to optimized weapon range", etc...

All using custom entities, not the weird looking UMA ones from back in the day.

So I'm really looking forward to official bandits to see what they offer.  Madmole once described a scene where a vehicle comes tearing at you and bandits jump out and attack, that sounds amazeballs.

10 hours ago, Endo said:

Same for me, map generated in A20 b238 but updated to 20.1.  I've tried to even start carrying 3 robotics and 1 sledge for BM.  Well before the end of the night they all have fallen and are inside the last player built block resting on soil.  Don't seem to fall farther than the soil though.

Did try recreating something similar in a A20.1 generated map and couldn't really reproduce, seemed to be a bit more... sturdy but not really sure why that would be the case.  May get tired with my A20 map and just start fresh to see if it is actually better.

It had nothing to do with the map or blocks. It was raycasts failing briefly from mesh colliders updating, so the turret would see "ground" father below and rapidly move to it. The more a mesh was being updated by say damage, the more often it happened. This fix will be in our next experimental.

15 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

Wonder how the AI for bandits will be handled. Adding a more intelligent enemy to this kind of game really hasn't ever been done before.

I heard a lot of people complaining about intelligent enemies during A17 ;)

3 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Mmm... that's not entirely true.  When they initially included bandits in the files they were pretty fun and used *very* basic AI, this was back in a15 I think?

...and of course now there is an M-word where you can hire them, assign them duties, and they heal themselves, use weapons, inventory control, "attack, run, loot, follow, backup to optimized weapon range", etc...

All using custom entities, not the weird looking UMA ones from back in the day.

So I'm really looking forward to official bandits to see what they offer.  Madmole once described a scene where a vehicle comes tearing at you and bandits jump out and attack, that sounds amazeballs.

if they implement this (moment of silence trying to mentally connect with the devs from a great distance to control their thoughts and actions) so bandits can enter/drive/get out of vehicles, then I propose they *also* make it so bandits will steal your vehicles (and can break the vehicle lock, given time). give you reason to lock them up and use the garage doors, and just general "chaos" as well.  I mean, if they all get out of a vehicle and you defeat/outflank them... you get a free vehicle so I guess at least one has to remain in there to drive away quickly, or "disable it" or blow it up if you start shooting at him... so have them have an affinity to either steal yours of destroy yours.  No more parking that gyro on the ground... gotta drive into garages of POI's and secure/close them up!

2 hours ago, faatal said:

It had nothing to do with the map or blocks. It was raycasts failing briefly from mesh colliders updating, so the turret would see "ground" father below and rapidly move to it. The more a mesh was being updated by say damage, the more often it happened. This fix will be in our next experimental.

Do you know of an ETA on the next release that will have this fix? I play a group of 3-5 players on my dedicated server and every horde night our turrets fall through the floor.

3 hours ago, sasdakota said:

Do you know of an ETA on the next release that will have this fix? I play a group of 3-5 players on my dedicated server and every horde night our turrets fall through the floor.

Maybe a few weeks.

4 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

if they implement this (moment of silence trying to mentally connect with the devs from a great distance to control their thoughts and actions) so bandits can enter/drive/get out of vehicles, then I propose they *also* make it so bandits will steal your vehicles (and can break the vehicle lock, given time). give you reason to lock them up and use the garage doors, and just general "chaos" as well.  I mean, if they all get out of a vehicle and you defeat/outflank them... you get a free vehicle so I guess at least one has to remain in there to drive away quickly, or "disable it" or blow it up if you start shooting at him... so have them have an affinity to either steal yours of destroy yours.  No more parking that gyro on the ground... gotta drive into garages of POI's and secure/close them up!

Bandits in vehicles is near the bottom of my list of what they need to do. You know what happens to the bottom of game dev lists? They generally get cut, but it could happen.

12 hours ago, faatal said:

Bandits in vehicles is near the bottom of my list of what they need to do. You know what happens to the bottom of game dev lists? They generally get cut, but it could happen.

I'm hearing what you're saying... but as a problem solver I feel the idea has already been solved: Scrap all the bandit work, and ... simply make the vehicles the bandits!  I made a quick demo video of how this would look, using a lot of the horror/darker/gritty elements of 7D2D, with a small backstory and a few up and coming from my local theater group who are obviously working without pay for the exposure. From my perspective, all you would need to do is add the AI to the vehicles. its so simple it .. just... might... work!

loving everything new with the random gen but the amount of tier 4 and tier 5 pois seems to be lacking when i generate worlds for example in a18 and a19 i would get like 7 factory's, 4 apartments and a few skyscrapers but seeing in a world gen previewer tool most worlds i generate only have like 4 or 5 tier 5 pois 

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

21 hours ago, faatal said:

I think something related to this has been causing players to keep "bumping up" during the more intense hours of blood moon, looking like the camera is shaking. At least it has been my experience that turrets feel through the blocks after these "bumping" episodes.

On 2/2/2022 at 6:09 AM, Tmodloader said:

zeds w/ voice lines and guns. expect nothing, still get disappointed. life motto.

22 hours ago, Roland said:

I heard a lot of people complaining about intelligent enemies during A17 ;)

cant wait 4 intelligent enemies™ running up ramps and falling down pits in endless loops :^)

4 hours ago, Alpacko said:

zeds w/ voice lines and guns. expect nothing, still get disappointed. life motto.

cant wait 4 intelligent enemies™ running up ramps and falling down pits in endless loops :^)

Zombies get into that loop because they are mindless monsters just trying to get at you. Bandits won't need to have a simple target and attack player as the AI task. They can have coding to have them give up and retreat or fire rocket launchers from a distance. If bandits just run loops, I will be surprised and disappointed but I'm willing to keep some hope in my heart. :)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

21 hours ago, faatal said:

Maybe a few weeks.

Well, you did the vehicle code an will do the bandit behaviour. I think you are the right person to buttlick in order to get to that bottom-list feature. And bandits on rafts and helicopters for second from the bottom !! . Make sure to snatch some animators to work with for those features, lol. 

Trader Rekt eating a big earn of corn while sitting on a pink chair musn't be at the bottom list either. That feature should be up top right below bandits IMHO.