Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

10 hours ago, faatal said:

It is probably Unity graphics jobs. I enabled them a few weeks ago, since that is now the default for Unity projects and they are supposed to improve performance. Two testers started having random crashes and they have reports of others crashing. I disabled it today, which will be in next exp. When we get our new consultant from Unity, that will be one of his initial tasks of why Unity is doing that. We will give it another shot once we switch a21 to 2021 LTS.

Unusual for that to be a cause of crashes. Havent heard anyone reporting that when i put it on the mod sites. (about 10k downloads so far)

Tarkov & Rust both utilize it so i wonder why its happening for 7D.

Is the bug where zombies glitch into the ground a known bug that is being worked on? 

I just died in my one world because of it. 

Hit the horde with a pipe bomb, they got up and a lumberjack came at me as if my walls did not exist, heh. 

Guessing he glitched through the ground and then jumped up though my floor, like I have seen them do... but this one did both instantly and caught me off guard. 

2 hours ago, Yakov said:

Unusual for that to be a cause of crashes. Havent heard anyone reporting that when i put it on the mod sites. (about 10k downloads so far)

Tarkov & Rust both utilize it so i wonder why its happening for 7D.

Yeah, it's probably the same bad, bad programmers from TFP fault. :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, pregnable said:

Is the bug where zombies glitch into the ground a known bug that is being worked on? 

Hit the horde with a pipe bomb, they got up and a lumberjack came at me as if my walls did not exist, heh. 

Guessing he glitched through the ground and then jumped up though my floor, like I have seen them do... but this one did both instantly and caught me off guard. 

It's all connected with the mother of all bugs (it's the origin bug, which faatal already explained some time ago).

He said in A20.1 is better but can still happen. So, objects and entities can sometimes be displaced abruptly.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

You didn't consider game settings... I play at 120 mins/day, and I assure you, you can do a lot more stuff and get up game stage, loot stage and skills much more for the same number of days. I don't know if that's the setting Pr00ch is using, but is worth considering.

I generally play long games on 120 minute days and default to Warrior, but I also play shorter games on shorter days and higher difficulties. I only used "days" as measure because it was convenient. Perhaps it would've been better to use levels 50,100, 200, 300 as more appropriate milestones, but the point remains that it's completely up to the player when a game ends, or at what point the level gates become too expensive. 

Sure, if you're only playing to level 50 then you're only going to have enough points to max out 1 tree, or 2 trees with the perks about halfway, but by level 100 that's 2 trees maxed, or 1 tree maxed and 2 others with the perks halfway, or you could do 4 trees about halfway, and that's not even considering the fact that you won't likely be spending points on multiple melee perks or unused perks like Charismatic Nature, Well Insulated, Pack Mule, Physician, The Huntsman, Lucky Looter and Demolitions Expert...

So, with that in mind let's take a look at the probably most common build and see what it actually looks like on level 50, shotgun and clubs. If you're using a cigar it's 13 points to max out the strength attribute. Skipping Skull Crusher and Pack Mule but maxing everything else, for a total of 46 points spent, you end up with an extra 4 points to spend on level 1 of let's say, Pain Tolerance, Rule 1: Cardio, Run and Gun, Flurry of Blows. At this point you're probably feeling a bit OP but suffering from some tree envy and maybe want to try out other weapons and perks.

The obvious solutions would be to either keep leveling or pony up for that Grandpa's Fergit'n Elixer and respec, but what you really want is to try out all of the things all at once, and well, that requires a level of about 260...

I mean you could just go into debug mode, giveselfexp 41060282, then settime 200 4 00, Turn on creative mode and spawn in all the Q6 armor, weapons and mods that you can imagine looting by day 200, and then take a run at a couple of tier 5's to get a feel for things, but it's just so much easier to go to the forums and complain that level gates are too hard.

[eye twitches]

2 hours ago, pregnable said:

I think that’s part of the the ray tracing bug that Fatal is working on where vehicles, turrets and zombies fall through the ground but that’s just a guess. His fix for it in A20.1 seems to have fixed the zombies but some people are still seeing issues with turrets and vehicles. Things are definitely better, that’s for sure. It was kind of funny fighting zombies wading waist-deep in blocks. Hindsight, I should have taken a video.

14 hours ago, faatal said:

It is probably Unity graphics jobs. I enabled them a few weeks ago, since that is now the default for Unity projects and they are supposed to improve performance. Two testers started having random crashes and they have reports of others crashing. I disabled it today, which will be in next exp. When we get our new consultant from Unity, that will be one of his initial tasks of why Unity is doing that. We will give it another shot once we switch a21 to 2021 LTS.

Probably something you've already verified, but just in case. Is it certain gpu jobs is the root of the problem and the crashes aren't symptoms of the performance increase gpu jobs provides? GPU jobs increases performance and thus more heavily loads the gpu. Prior to a20.1 low gpu utilization is fairly common and underlying issues with the hardware won't present themselves as often under lights loads. With a20.1 enabled gpu jobs increasing load on users gpus could create conditions that expose underlying hardware problems like, old thermal paste, defective thermal paste, gpu fan faults, unstable OC Settings, Dust clogged fin stacks, inadequate airflow ect. All those issues could result in the game crashing in a20.1 and not a20.0.

I've been doing some benchmarking on a20.1 and enabled gpu jobs makes a substantial difference in general performance. It doesn't help all that much in 0.1% lows, so doesn't treat the root performance issues of a20, but it does a good job of ban aiding it until the bottlenecks can be looked into and optimised.
I've not finished compiling all the data but here's an excerpt of a20.0 vs a20.1 1080p ultra settings

Spoiler

3mVj1MN.png

It was great gpu jobs was now being included as stock. It's seems like it would be a step backwards in performance to disable it, especially now since a20.0 in the city's is already borderline unplayable with the frequent and unrelenting stutters. Don't get me wrong if it is actually the cause of the crashes obviously it's better to play with reduced performance over having random crashes. But personally i wouldn't disable a performance feature like this without verifying the crashes weren't caused by something simpler first.

I'm very aware 1 system and 1 users experience doesn't reflect every possibility, but for what it's worth i haven't had a single unexplained crash playing and testing a20.1🤞

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

It's all connected with the mother of all bugs (it's the origin bug, which faatal already explained some time ago).

He said in A20.1 is better but can still happen. So, objects and entities can sometimes be displaced abruptly.

Yeh I was running and during an origin shift (log entry) I started to fall through and was stuck for a second; didn't report it because m word but the timing was exactly when the shift happened.  

1 hour ago, Neminsis said:

or unused perks like Charismatic Nature, Well Insulated, Pack Mule, Physician, The Huntsman, Lucky Looter and Demolitions Expert...

Whoa! Hang on for a moment there!

You're making a lot of assumptions... in my current SP/120 mins-day/Warrior game I'm using at least 2 of those skills and I find them pretty useful.

1 hour ago, Neminsis said:

The obvious solutions would be to either keep leveling or pony up for that Grandpa's Fergit'n Elixer and respec, but what you really want is to try out all of the things all at once, and well, that requires a level of about 260...

More in general, I think the main problem with your approach is that you assume that the "end-game" is something related only to leveling/skills and power.

From my perspective, the end-game can also be any of the following:

• Exploring most of the map (find all traders, all cities/towns, experience all biomes)
  • Building BM/Crafting bases in all Biomes and have a BM at least once in each of them
  • Build the "perfect BM base" so that not even Dems can create problems anymore
  • Complete all books that give you perks!
  • Complete the mission tiers from each trader (when you reach T5 and do it you've completed that trader)
  • Restore a small town to its former glory  (kind of like "House Flipper")

These are just a few examples of how different people could consider end-game, instead of saying "I have everything, I can kill any zombie, I'm done".

Serious question: are you a min/maxer? :suspicious:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Whoa! Hang on for a moment there!

You're making a lot of assumptions... in my current SP/120 mins-day/Warrior game I'm using at least 2 of those skills and I find them pretty useful.

More in general, I think the main problem with your approach is that you assume that the "end-game" is something related only to leveling/skills and power.

• Exploring most of the map (find all traders, all cities/towns, experience all biomes)
  • Building BM/Crafting bases in all Biomes and have a BM at least once in each of them
  • Build the "perfect BM base" so that not even Dems can create problems anymore
  • Complete all books that give you perks!
  • Complete the mission tiers from each trader (when you reach T5 and do it you've completed that trader)

These are just a few examples of how different people could consider end-game, instead of saying "I have everything, I can kill any zombie, I'm done".

Serious question: are you a min/maxer? :suspicious:

When the topic is "level gating is bad" one is kind of forced into taking "level" and "gating" into account, right?

But yes, I'm well aware of the use cases for those "ignored perks" and maybe Charismatic Nature ought to maybe give a stamina regen buff in single player, as most leaders tend to get a little high off their own fumes, so to speak. 

As I said, 'my' end game is typically well past level 300, so I have used everything you've listed as in-game goals, but as I also said, I've done shorter playthroughs to experiment with the early game and build orders. I put over 4k hours into a19 alone, and probably half that on each alpha going back to a15, and another 500 into a20 so far, so maybe my perspective is a little different than the average player, I can't help that.

Although, I have done the math I'm not really a min/maxer as I tend to play reactively to the situation i.e. putting points into what I need at the time rather than sticking to a script. Those decisions are always informed by the knowledge that I can always just level up more if I need something else later though. 

And the thing about playing longer games and leveling higher is that you find out sooner or later that the Zs keep scaling for a long time and that OP feeling that you can get early game is more of an illusion than a reality. That maxed out tree by level 50 just doesn't perform the same against the Zs that spawn at higher game stages, yeah?

35 minutes ago, Neminsis said:

When the topic is "level gating is bad" one is kind of forced into taking "level" and "gating" into account, right?

I wasn't referring to that, since you both started talking about "end game" I jumped in to say that what you both call end game isn't based on levels for everyone.

36 minutes ago, Neminsis said:

As I said, 'my' end game is typically well past level 300, so I have used everything you've listed as in-game goals

Good for you! Hope you had fun! :biggrin1:

37 minutes ago, Neminsis said:

I put over 4k hours into a19 alone, and probably half that on each alpha going back to a15, and another 500 into a20 so far, so maybe my perspective is a little different than the average player, I can't help that.

You're definitely not the kind of player I'd balance the game around if I were in The Fun Pimp's shoes! :hail:

18 hours ago, faatal said:

Thanks faatal for the feedback.  Hope its soon because 20.1 is pretty much unplayable for me currently.  Guess I could roll back to stable but I liked the changes in 20.1.  Other than this one obviously lol.

9 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I wasn't referring to that, since you both started talking about "end game" I jumped in to say that what you both call end game isn't based on levels for everyone.

Good for you! Hope you had fun! :biggrin1:

You're definitely not the kind of player I'd balance the game around if I were in The Fun Pimp's shoes! :hail:

And I literally said, "I think our definition of end game differs" in response to his implying that his end game occurs the moment the Zs are no longer a threat, and he has all the food he needs, and then went directly to discussing 'levels' and 'gates' in answer to the thrust of his comment. 

If I wasn't having fun, I wouldn't be putting in those kinds of hours, right?

Why wouldn't TFP design the game around players like me, or you for that matter? That looks exactly like what they've done here, to me. You can have multiple short playthroughs with varied character builds and you can have a long term game where you raise entire towns to the ground and build your own skyscrapers if you feel like it, and if you want to do both at once you can always respec or use debug mode. 

4 hours ago, Neminsis said:

... unused perks like Charismatic Nature, Well Insulated, Pack Mule, Physician, The Huntsman, Lucky Looter and Demolitions Expert...

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Jost - where the heck did you get that town flipper idea?  😀  (He knows it's something I like to do in some run throughs.)

I, too, might also use Well Insulated, or Pack Mule, or Demolitions Expert.  And I might not.  A lot kind of depends on RNG early game.  And I like to experiment.  (Although I rarely go above 60 min cycles).

I also didn't feel Neminsis was speaking in a definitive tone.  I read it more like 'for example'.  (although he stated things like "most common build" he did preface it with 'probably'.)  I read it as Neminsis was trying to clarify Perk expectations.  (or End Game expectations.)

I kind of do the same thing when persons speak out about realism and immersion.  It almost always seems to be about TFP's ('bad') decisions and/or 'non-sensical' game limitations, and yet doesn't seem to be that hard to come up with imaginative ways to address almost anything.  (and maybe because computers and game code is becoming more and more 'realistic', peoples expectations about realism are outpacing hardware and software development.)

I suspect all three of us play in various similar ways and know the game is going to be whatever Fun Pimp Decisions are, and how we can best enjoy those decisions ourselves.

5 hours ago, Star69 said:

I think that’s part of the the ray tracing bug that Fatal is working on where vehicles, turrets and zombies fall through the ground but that’s just a guess. His fix for it in A20.1 seems to have fixed the zombies but some people are still seeing issues with turrets and vehicles. Things are definitely better, that’s for sure. It was kind of funny fighting zombies wading waist-deep in blocks. Hindsight, I should have taken a video.

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Cool, thanks guys.  I guess I should have updated to experimental, lel.  At least I got it all recorded. 

4 hours ago, Naz said:

Probably something you've already verified, but just in case. Is it certain gpu jobs is the root of the problem and the crashes aren't symptoms of the performance increase gpu jobs provides? GPU jobs increases performance and thus more heavily loads the gpu. Prior to a20.1 low gpu utilization is fairly common and underlying issues with the hardware won't present themselves as often under lights loads. With a20.1 enabled gpu jobs increasing load on users gpus could create conditions that expose underlying hardware problems like, old thermal paste, defective thermal paste, gpu fan faults, unstable OC Settings, Dust clogged fin stacks, inadequate airflow ect. All those issues could result in the game crashing in a20.1 and not a20.0.

I've been doing some benchmarking on a20.1 and enabled gpu jobs makes a substantial difference in general performance. It doesn't help all that much in 0.1% lows, so doesn't treat the root performance issues of a20, but it does a good job of ban aiding it until the bottlenecks can be looked into and optimised.
I've not finished compiling all the data but here's an excerpt of a20.0 vs a20.1 1080p ultra settings

Reveal hidden contents

3mVj1MN.png

It was great gpu jobs was now being included as stock. It's seems like it would be a step backwards in performance to disable it, especially now since a20.0 in the city's is already borderline unplayable with the frequent and unrelenting stutters. Don't get me wrong if it is actually the cause of the crashes obviously it's better to play with reduced performance over having random crashes. But personally i wouldn't disable a performance feature like this without verifying the crashes weren't caused by something simpler first.

I'm very aware 1 system and 1 users experience doesn't reflect every possibility, but for what it's worth i haven't had a single unexplained crash playing and testing a20.1🤞

Alright.... while it did improve, GPU load at 1080p is not really a problem in b238 (you could go 4gig VRAM-dedicated GPU with high graphic settings no problem if it weren't for the CPU).

CPU is the bottleneck, really. Unless you are doing 1440p and 4k, which eat a lot of video memory. 

Turn off Vsync and dynamic meshes, tune down shadows if just a tiny bit and behold. The boost, the crazyness, the unoptimized mess of an engine that can't granulate heavy loads away from the main thread.

Occluder-OFF can give false feedback on your tests, though. If you turn it on, the GPU load will be relieved at the cost of CPU, but if your GPU can really handle top settings with slack, then you are better off with Occluder off, by a WIDE margin.

What is your testing rig?

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Alright.... while it did improve, GPU load at 1080p is not really a problem in b238 (you could go 4gig VRAM-dedicated GPU with high graphic settings no problem if it weren't for the CPU).

CPU is the bottleneck, really. Unless you are doing 1440p and 4k, which eat a lot of video memory. 

Turn off Vsync and dynamic meshes, tune down shadows if just a tiny bit and behold. The boost, the crazyness, the unoptimized mess of an engine that can't granulate heavy loads away from the main thread.

Occluder-OFF can give false feedback on your tests, though. If you turn it on, the GPU load will be relieved at the cost of CPU, but if your GPU can really handle top settings with slack, then you are better off with Occluder off, by a WIDE margin.

What is your testing rig?

1080p was just an example of the improvement of a20.1. Full test will have 1080p,1440p,4k and a 21:9 resolution. Vsync was off for all tests. Tests were done on a new World so there shouldn't be any dynamic meshes. Ocluder was on for all tests, previous tests indicate performance was better with it enabled on my 2 systems. I'd be interested to see your data on this as I haven't retested it in a20. The details for that testing rig for that test can be found in my a20.0 Benchmarks here it's the system "trident" 

8 hours ago, Naz said:

1080p was just an example of the improvement of a20.1. Full test will have 1080p,1440p,4k and a 21:9 resolution. Vsync was off for all tests. Tests were done on a new World so there shouldn't be any dynamic meshes. Ocluder was on for all tests, previous tests indicate performance was better with it enabled on my 2 systems. I'd be interested to see your data on this as I haven't retested it in a20. The details for that testing rig for that test can be found in my a20.0 Benchmarks here it's the system "trident" 

While I didn't have the time to be that thorough, I did see a ~10% increase in fps in 20.1 vs 20 b238. Occluder off doesn't initially affect performance on landscape but for it to show you need to go straight to downtown next to a bunch of high rise buildings and look for stutters, not paper fps, even though they also suffer. There, I notice microstutters and some "graphical lagging", but when off, GPU suffers a bit more but fps go up due to the CPU being relieved. Testing fps is better in stress tests, so I suggest these tests, they needen't be extremely detailed:

Test 1: spawn 100zds while inside a high rise building in downtown with occluder on. VS Occluder off and check the results from 20 to 20.1 while they hit blocks coming towards you.

Test 2: plant 100 grown up trees in landscape in front of you, as that reflects a very common situation, similar to downtown or mountain areas with a wide variety of fps "droppers". Then, spawn 100 zds in the very same place. The opposing test should be a20 b238 with the same situation.

100 zds is good for testing, as 64 entities is too well tunned and fps vary too much, but if you go beyond the limit, you can truly see the faults even at first sight, without too many conflicting ranges.

Your tests are amazing btw. What really affects the game are those thrilling moments that suffer from stuttering and fps drops though. Every other situation is kind of a filler performance-wise, really.

17 hours ago, Exxodous said:

Thanks faatal for the feedback.  Hope its soon because 20.1 is pretty much unplayable for me currently.  Guess I could roll back to stable but I liked the changes in 20.1.  Other than this one obviously lol.

Not in any way a fix but switching from DirectX to GLCore as renderer increased stability for me. I will still occasionally get a crash but not hardly as often. Just have to deal with a bit of performance loss and the lack of a visible circle when doing treasure digging. 

5 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

While I didn't have the time to be that thorough, I did see a ~10% increase in fps in 20.1 vs 20 b238. Occluder off doesn't initially affect performance on landscape but for it to show you need to go straight to downtown next to a bunch of high rise buildings and look for stutters, not paper fps, even though they also suffer. There, I notice microstutters and some "graphical lagging", but when off, GPU suffers a bit more but fps go up due to the CPU being relieved. Testing fps is better in stress tests, so I suggest these tests, they needen't be extremely detailed:

Test 1: spawn 100zds while inside a high rise building in downtown with occluder on. VS Occluder off and check the results from 20 to 20.1 while they hit blocks coming towards you.

Test 2: plant 100 grown up trees in landscape in front of you, as that reflects a very common situation, similar to downtown or mountain areas with a wide variety of fps "droppers". Then, spawn 100 zds in the very same place. The opposing test should be a20 b238 with the same situation.

100 zds is good for testing, as 64 entities is too well tunned and fps vary too much, but if you go beyond the limit, you can truly see the faults even at first sight, without too many conflicting ranges.

Your tests are amazing btw. What really affects the game are those thrilling moments that suffer from stuttering and fps drops though. Every other situation is kind of a filler performance-wise, really.

Yes that's been my experience with it also. Out in the wilderness it doesn't get much of a chance to occlude anything since most things are within the players view, Inside heavy prefabs is where it shines. I used my custom aircraft carrier prefab as it's a perfect stress test for this kind of thing. Performance with it enabled there improved by 40-80%.

Thank you, i keep benchmark data on my systems because i usually sell them after i upgrade and it's nice to be able to have a record of what the performance was. Agreed i've missed jumps, shots, swings because it decided to drop to 12fps in that split second, can be frustrating😄

Just finished the a20.1 results here same general improvements but 0.1% lows are much the same and no real improvement in gpu bound scenario's like 4k. Still a nice improvement nevertheless.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:00 AM, Jost Amman said:

Players and zombies should not be doing it at all from origin shifts.

Vehicles seem to have something still happening, but not seen it myself since origin changes.

Turrets do their own ray cast. I have never seen one fall after I made the origin changes, but have done limited testing on those since.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:28 PM, Naz said:

I can't really verify that, because there have been many reports of crashing on a variety of hardware, often second hand reports, and you can't tell the average player to check their thermal paste or OC settings when they don't know what that is. That makes it not a simple issue for them. I do know one of our testers with consistent crashes is on a 3060 TI, so not an old GPU. If Unity allowed us to switch gfx jobs in realtime, we could have a gfx option, but they don't.

16 minutes ago, faatal said:

I can't really verify that, because there have been many reports of crashing on a variety of hardware, often second hand reports, and you can't tell the average player to check their thermal paste or OC settings when they don't know what that is. That makes it not a simple issue for them. I do know one of our testers with consistent crashes is on a 3060 TI, so not an old GPU. If Unity allowed us to switch gfx jobs in realtime, we could have a gfx option, but they don't.

Any news on the optimization front? What are the changes cooking for us players? 

I'm really starting to believe that the biggest improvement this title needs going forward might be a good code culling/cleaning of block stability calculations or block code in general.

I would avoid the garbage collection feature altogether, because it does eat A LOT of CPU after a while. Painstakingly profiling and using the correct functions to avoid GC is the only way to stop this constant optimization struggle and start having solid content with some slack.

6 hours ago, faatal said:

Players and zombies should not be doing it at all from origin shifts.

Vehicles seem to have something still happening, but not seen it myself since origin changes.

Turrets do their own ray cast. I have never seen one fall after I made the origin changes, but have done limited testing on those since.

Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the turrets... I was using a sledge turret during a BM night, and it worked ok, until it was half in the night, and it fell down "one floor" in my base. I have A20.1 latest, but still using a map generated with A20 b238.

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the turrets... I was using a sledge turret during a BM night, and it worked ok, until it was half in the night, and it fell down "one floor" in my base. I have A20.1 latest, but still using a map generated with A20 b238.

SP or MP, and did you happen to move far enough away from the base for the origin reset to occur and do you happen to have a log?

/curious since 1971