Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

Been getting this since 20.1  Can anyone tell me what is causing it?   Crashes me to desktop every time.  Sometimes I can play 2 hours then it will happen every 5 or 10 min.  Other times will start after 15 min play time.  There's also some sort of audio input error that shows up in my task bar, but I didn't get a screenshot.  When I log back in I'm about 45 seconds behind where I crashed.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

image.png.a926d7b9c303e25e038d06cbe3d663e7.png

if there is one thing i have wanted the most for building wise i would say it would have to be a precise stack count for example i have 3 concrete mixers lets say i want to split them all into 2000 crushed sand stone and cement but then its difficult to do so since you can only really take half stacks of things

6 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

f there is one thing i have wanted the most for building wise i would say it would have to be a precise stack count for example i have 3 concrete mixers lets say i want to split them all into 2000 crushed sand stone and cement but then its difficult to do so since you can only really take half stacks of things

It's a bit ass-backwards, but you can enter precise amounts from the workstations (cement mixer). So if you wanted to split your concrete mixing over all three for maximum efficiency, put all the sand, rock and cement you have in your inventory, get a total (use the max arrow) from one of the mixers as if you were going to make it all there, divide by three and then use that number at each mixer.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

16 minutes ago, Morloc said:

It's a bit ass-backwards, but you can enter precise amounts from the workstations (cement mixer). So if you wanted to split your concrete mixing over all three for maximum efficiency, put all the sand, rock and cement you have in your inventory, get a total (use the max arrow) from one of the mixers as if you were going to make it all there, divide by three and then use that number at each mixer.

I think he was thinking about how to split the ingredients easily and not the actual amount that could be made. Like wanting to split 5000 stone into 3 stacks. Right now you can only split it into 2500 stack then 1250 and so on. I think he means being able to take a 5000 stack and just type in a number like 2500, 1500, or even 1356 if you wanted and be able to grab that amount. May be my mind playing tricks on me but I thought we could one time. Might have been a mod. Not sure now.

30 minutes ago, Morloc said:

i think the forge is an example for what im looking for since you cant type in the material amount that is to be smelted

@Gazz (?) I believe you might have been a key person for data (charts, spreadsheets, etc.)  I also believe that TFP has been collecting telemetry data.  Is there any chance you could share with us some general numbers (like common non-default settings, etc.) and/or things TFP has learned or been 'surprised' about since you have started using it?

@Roland (or any moderator?) Is this board app capable of polls?  I haven't seen any listed.  If it could, but there aren't enough resources I would be glad to help any way I could.  (I already have some questions that we could start with.)

I also understand that the forums might not be representative of the general public, but it might still be some 'fun' and or informative.

Thank you

Edited by Quantum Blue (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Quantum Blue said:

@Gazz (?) I believe you might have been a key person for data (charts, spreadsheets, etc.)  I also believe that TFP has been collecting telemetry data.  Is there any chance you could share with us some general numbers (like common non-default settings, etc.) and/or things TFP has learned or been 'surprised' about since you have started using it?

@Roland (or any moderator?) Is this board app capable of polls?  I haven't seen any listed.  If it could, but there aren't enough resources I would be glad to help any way I could.  (I already have some questions that we could start with.)

I also understand that the forums might not be representative of the general public, but it might still be some 'fun' and or informative.

Thank you

Create a new topic (in General Discussion at least) and you should see two tabs, one titled "poll"

7 hours ago, Exxodous said:

Been getting this since 20.1  Can anyone tell me what is causing it?   Crashes me to desktop every time.  Sometimes I can play 2 hours then it will happen every 5 or 10 min.  Other times will start after 15 min play time.  There's also some sort of audio input error that shows up in my task bar, but I didn't get a screenshot.  When I log back in I'm about 45 seconds behind where I crashed.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

image.png.a926d7b9c303e25e038d06cbe3d663e7.png

There is a forum section for questions like this.

I think something needs to be done about the radiated border around the map. It needs to be marked either in the game world or on the map.

Got a treasure map today (Nicoles) and first time it didn't generate a treasure location (said something like 'no location is available' if I tried to show it on the map) so I decided I'd use CM to spawn in a new map and that one put the treasure in the radiated zone which obviously I didn't know until I got there and started dying of radiation poisoning

@faatal

If you look on steam for UEBS 2, a game not out yet, one of the videos tells us that they perform AI for pathfinding for over 1 million individual on screen soldiers using the video card and would have been impossible using the CPU.  I know its comparing apples to oranges but I was wondering if this was already being done or if something like this would help in 7 days to die?

Can someone please explain how I can share the coordinates of a Quest with a fellow friend in game ..

(my friend never can see my yellow explanation marks or circles even though he is marked up for the same team)

I have enough trouble sharing way points as the shared WP isn't displayed in the shared WP box section on the map screen for some reason.

Thanks.

I just wanted to say I am loving the new city layouts.  (and I am aware that there still needs to be tweaks...)

I really love/hate walls and fences.  But it feels very real to me.  I actually used to 'forage' around a downtown/industrial area in my younger days.  (Not breaking in or 'stealing', rummaging through trash bins for a couple warehouses that used to throw damaged toys away.  Like race car (Aurora, Tyco) and train sets, etc.)  Some are very maze like, and some reward you for only having a bike or mini-bike or motorcycle!  (Although I have hit a 'wall channel' where even the motorcycle wouldn't fit.)  You are not going to get a car through some places.  So now I have another gaming decision to make, car for storage/speed, or mini-bike/mc to get through more places faster.

Heck, even the bouncing on/over curbs adds to my immersion.  Do I want bumps, or do I play little mini-driving games avoiding things?

Major thumbs up TFP.  Keep up the great work.

8 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

@faatal

If you look on steam for UEBS 2, a game not out yet, one of the videos tells us that they perform AI for pathfinding for over 1 million individual on screen soldiers using the video card and would have been impossible using the CPU.  I know its comparing apples to oranges but I was wondering if this was already being done or if something like this would help in 7 days to die?

You got me curious so I went and had a look.  They're going to have a _lot_ of problems pulling that off.  The demo's look good but without an indication of the hardware it's running on we're back to the old adage "any sufficiently prepared tech-demo is indistinguishable from magic".

They plan to run the pathfinding and physics on the GPU?  What are they using to render the graphics?  The CPU?

Graphics card prices are at an all-time high, no point in creating a system very few people have the ability to actually run.

They'll have issues with the basic data types.  Current physics run on 32 or 64 bit numbers and already have issues with floating point accuracy.  Transfering that to shader code leaves you with 16 bit numbers to play with which will only make the physics innacuracies worse.

Shader code has very little in the way of debugging tools, the system was never intended to do complex logic, findng bugs will be an absolute nightmare.

tl:dr

What they're attempting is possible but it'll be very difficult and littered with gotcha's.  There are many reasons we don't run pathfinding and physics on graphics cards as a general rule and I'm sure they will have had to work through most of them  🙂

Update:

Turns out modern shader code _can_ run 32 bit numbers... assuming you have hardware that supports it.  Shows how long it's been since I dug into shaders.

Edited by The Gronk (see edit history)

Once again new release and it is mostly flawless. I can't wait to see what they do with water an looking forward to getting taken out by bandits.

It would be cool to have areas of the map that become harder. Or one area that is extremely hard all of the time.

1 hour ago, Jay_ombie said:

Can someone please explain how I can share the coordinates of a Quest with a fellow friend in game ..

(my friend never can see my yellow explanation marks or circles even though he is marked up for the same team)

I have enough trouble sharing way points as the shared WP isn't displayed in the shared WP box section on the map screen for some reason.

Thanks.

Just like sharing saved map points , the person with the quest has to first share the quest (I think on quest tab) and then your friend has to ACCEPT the quest and click the compass to follow it. When you share a map point your friend has to open up the map and click a flag icon to SAVE permanently

5 hours ago, The Gronk said:

They plan to run the pathfinding and physics on the GPU?  What are they using to render the graphics?  The CPU?

(I see you updated your post.  Just hopefully adding a little more clarity.  btw - 'compute shader' - not necessarily the same as video/graphic/image shaders)

Actually you can do a lot on GPU's.  They are super sweet for 'hash cracking' and 'rainbow tables'.  I had/have been in IT Security for 10 years and have personally run intense algorithmic code and various security applications on single and dual nvidia cards while playing games - including 7D2D.  They are also quickly becoming a hot bed for hiding malware now as well.  (Copying what happened to mac keyboards a few years back.  But even that was preceded by CD-ROM EPROM's.)

Some examples:

https://developer.nvidia.com/how-to-cuda-c-cpp

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gameworks/CN/computing_cgdc_en.pdf

Some Cuda 64 bit functions:

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-math-api/group__CUDA__MATH__INTRINSIC__INT.html

44 minutes ago, Quantum Blue said:

They are super sweet for 'hash cracking' and 'rainbow tables'.

You can program damn near anything you want in shader code, that wasn't my point.

Have you ever tried hash-cracking or crypto-mining _while_ rendering a high-def scene?  It's the short road to a kernel panic or BSOD.

24 minutes ago, The Gronk said:

You can program damn near anything you want in shader code, that wasn't my point.

Have you ever tried hash-cracking or crypto-mining _while_ rendering a high-def scene?  It's the short road to a kernel panic or BSOD.

As I said I was just hopefully clarifying by saying it's not just about running 32 bit code - it is extremely useful for 'intense' 'code'.  (btw - I added a '32 bit' clarification since this last posting as well.)

I have.  Although mostly for testing purposes.  Granted I might have to turn down my ultra settings for 7D2D, but I still have unused GPU bandwidth (15-50%) quite a bit.  Although I could do rainbow tables with Terraria and quite a few others.  (Although not Minecraft set to 64 chunks.  ;) )  

I tend to build very expensive gaming rigs.  (9 fans and liquid cooling.  With appropriate monitoring apps, of course.)  Current rig within top 1.5% 3D Mark territory.

BTW1: My last 3 rigs have been built specifically with 7D2D in mind.  (Not the only thing, but a high priority.)

BTW2: I am NOT trying to 'undercut' the 'kernel panic or BSOD' statement.  Heck, I would bet you could literally fry some (a lot?) systems by trying that.  (I probably could as well...) 

I think the last time I cracked a hash you were probably just starting your first day in security, I hope so, it's probably quite a bit longer though... I'm very old.

No doubt things are more stable now but I still question the sanity of running complex logic on the GPU.  Debugging alone becomes exponentially harder.

UEBS is a unity game, why they haven't just chucked the logic into the job system I have no idea.  That's exactly the sort of code it was created to run.  I love it, the speed of a primitive language without most of the tedious memory management.

1 hour ago, The Gronk said:

I think the last time I cracked a hash you were probably just starting your first day in security, I hope so, it's probably quite a bit longer though... I'm very old.

I love it, the speed of a primitive language without most of the tedious memory management.

I am currently quasi-semi-retired.  But, I may be getting back in.  My 'IT' background goes back to 60's.  Dad and I were building plastic adding machines/calculators even before the Altair 8800.  (I did a digi-comp before going to school).  Dad (electronics tech plus) even brought home damaged 'mainframe' 'modules' that we would make good ones out of (along with some 'hard build' things like digital display frames, etc.  I laugh when some try to use machine language as a 'bar'.  (or even a TI-59)  Me: "You mean you didn't have to use 10 mechanical switches for every byte of code and hit a switch to store, and do that a hundred times?  For every program?"  (cuz you would lose EVERYTHING by power or even hitting a 'bad' (not power!) switch...  (and NO way to even SAVE programs.  You know - like a tape or cards or anything) 😁

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic