Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

10 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Quick question : can we expect "final" version of A20 before christmas?

It's usually .3 patch minimum for a "final" a20, from there it's 100% weird backporting. They might release stable by Christmas, I suspect that's their intention.

49 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Quick question : can we expect "final" version of A20 before christmas?

Quick answer: There is no way in hell anyone official is going to answer that quick question.

Congratulations to TFP: They broke their previous record today on number of players concurrently playing the game. https://steamcharts.com/app/251570

Lathan also mentioned that we broke our record on Twitch a few days ago with 677 people streaming 7 Days to Die. (normally there are 100-200 streamers playing the game)

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

From loot or does that include traders also?  I had to buy a pill from the traders in the first few days because I got infected and hadn't come across any from looting.  If that includes traders (who should have a 50% change of stocking some), then you my friend have the worst rng luck  😉

Includes traders. Though I was very slow getting a bike so I had just one trader and only recently branched out to the next.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

The tile fillers look to be those very small POIs that were created to add character to the RWG and to add more elements to the game.  When I see the word trader, I wonder if they have the same protection settings as the larger trader tiles which is causing your block placement issue.

I tagged Laz Man as he is active in these forums and works on POIs (from my understanding, I might be confusing him with someone else)

@Laz Man

Thanks, I will look into it.

31 minutes ago, Roland said:

Quick answer: There is no way in hell anyone official is going to answer that quick question.

Congratulations to TFP: They broke their previous record today on number of players concurrently playing the game. https://steamcharts.com/app/251570

Lathan also mentioned that we broke our record on Twitch a few days ago with 677 people streaming 7 Days to Die. (normally there are 100-200 streamers playing the game)

Not yet. According to steamdb they didn't. Record is at 47025 for players.  You spoke too soon. Wait a few hours, then we'll open the champagne bottle. Twitch streamer number is correct.  I predict that we'll get close to 60000 over the course of alpha 20.

38 minutes ago, Roland said:

Well deserved! I haven't been able to play as much A20 as I'd like but it's great so far.

19 hours ago, IzPrebuilt said:

But feral sense also seems to massively increase how far away a zombie can see you. How *exactly* does feral sense work? and more importantly where is it hidden in the game files so I can mess around with it? 😀 I see something listed in the XML called AIFeralSense that is set to 1.5 for the basic zombies but I don't see what it does or how it is applied to any of the values? Is it reducing the threshold of noise waking zombies up by 50%? is it increasing the range at which zombies will awaken by 150%? both? The patch notes are painfully vague, I understand that Alpha 20 was a BIG BOI  but a lot of really helpul info was left to the players to figure out the hard and annoying way, like how the archery buff was given 1 line in the patch notes but it literally increases the damage of bows from 50%-92%? Did the guy who writes the patch notes not think any of this info was important?

My description was not quite accurate. AIFeralSense in xml actually increases noise amount and seeing distance range values of a zombie. So if you make 10 noise, AIferalSense of 1.5 scales the noise by the number and adds it in, so it becomes 25 noise to that specific zombie. AIferalSense of 0 would add 0.

7 hours ago, Kosmos said:

- Mechanic weapons in coop game often falls through textures (and for one player it looks like not, but for another - it fell down), not sure but i guess it happens if you place near another player/zombie close

Can confirm this still happens in A20 with the Robotic Turret. Mine did it to me last night at a really bad time. The going got tough and 15 zombies showed up, so my turret got going and decided to fall through the floor to the floor below and I had to go back downstairs to get it

We also had a really weird bug where we drove from the PoI to the trader to turn it in, and when my friend got off his minibike it teleported the minibike back to the PoI where he got on it, so he had to drive mine all the way back and pick his up

6 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Can confirm this still happens in A20 with the Robotic Turret. Mine did it to me last night at a really bad time. The going got tough and 15 zombies showed up, so my turret got going and decided to fall through the floor to the floor below and I had to go back downstairs to get it

We also had a really weird bug where we drove from the PoI to the trader to turn it in, and when my friend got off his minibike it teleported the minibike back to the PoI where he got on it, so he had to drive mine all the way back and pick his up

Players were asking TFP to add teleporters for years. Now they got them and everyone complains again ? 😁

4 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

The second bug has also been around for ages. It happens when you keep holding "W" all the way while riding, without releasing it or stopping and then at the end, you get off your bike while still holding "w". I am under the impression, that this leads to the game not updating the position of the vehicle properly and as soon as you get out, the vehicle ports back to the last "known" location - which is where you started. To prevent this, dont get off a moving vehicle. Bring it to a full stop, and only then get out. It (mostly) prevents it...

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

It's usually .3 patch minimum for a "final" a20, from there it's 100% weird backporting. They might release stable by Christmas, I suspect that's their intention.

i hope so 🎅

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Well this is nothing good xd

On 12/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, faatal said:

I've not seen that. Can you try it with Dynamic Mesh disabled or Mesh Distance shorter or Land Claim only on?

image.png.4d152bad01dd77a09f98ddee4e3e1203.png

I can confirm this totally helps. I was lagging down to 15 to 19 fps while in a city/town. 

I simply turned dynamic mesh off, put mesh distance at 500 (not sure if that mattered since I hit disable) and I was back into 32 to 40 fps...back in the green baby!!

That's the best I get so I'm happy. 

Also I'm not sure if this counts as a bug or not. 

I play with a gamepad, PS4 controller to be exact....yes I know...lame. I just can't do the mouse & keyboard.

Anyway, when I start the game, it loads, I can move & what not, however when going into my backpack, I can no longer move the cursor. I have to hit options (escape) move my mouse over to options, click on it, & then my controller works as it should?

Also when scrolling through with L2, when I get to the map screen (trying to scroll over to the perks tab) it brings up the virtual keyboard. I hit circle to cancel, it goes back to the backpack, & then I can continue scrolling. Does this Everytime. 

Sorry if this should go in bug reports @faatal

26 minutes ago, faatal said:

Interesting. I play with it off. Passed info to Zack.

Thanks

Yeah, the way to fix that one escapes me. Separate it in another thread and send just the minimum to the main thread? Compress the tracks to the maximum? Change the format of the tracks? Delete the music program and record Zack singing in an Long Play Disk? Send emojis instead of playing music? 

I have CPU issues, deactivating de occluder  and reducing mesh stuff helps , but the sound has gotten crazier and I believe it hits performance for some reason. It worsens the CPU usage, and we ain't got much of that lately.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

53 minutes ago, bachgaman said:

rest in peace, see you in a week

Well at least jost and roland know that wasn't seriouse XD

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Are you purely joking or do you believe this and are just being snarky?

joking XD 

I had damn good idea to make this joke better like " yep that's true because too many people on this same time can broke steam servers" but it was much funnier in my mind XD

3 hours ago, faatal said:

My description was not quite accurate. AIFeralSense in xml actually increases noise amount and seeing distance range values of a zombie. So if you make 10 noise, AIferalSense of 1.5 scales the noise by the number and adds it in, so it becomes 25 noise to that specific zombie. AIferalSense of 0 would add 0.

Well there will be sleepers outside of POI in future if i good remember right? so they will have this same number as "POI sleeper zombie"?

On 12/8/2021 at 6:59 PM, Khalagar said:

I think it's to stop players building next to the trader and using the trader as a shield / building a walk way that goes up and over the trader's compound

Bigger issue to me is you can't place your land claim block near a trader so I always accidentally put my house too close to the traders

May have been addressed already but if you remove the deadzone for claim blocks it improves this issue

4 hours ago, Roland said:

The game is feeling like it's getting at the end of alpha.

1. Does anyone know how to extend the blood moon? Here is my first blood moon at A20. The zombie respawn ended at ~ 00: 00. Too easy

2. Today I started a new game without a trader, a survivalist, 50% loot. The amount of ammo at the start of the game is roughly equivalent to what I might call survival. The ammo remain for emergencies only. This suggests that the number of ammo and grenades among the trader's rewards should be multiplied not by 0.5, but by 0. It would be cool to be able to craft "poor ammo" (with a chance of misfiring and lower damage) from inventory without a workbench to start the game, but without the crazy rewards from the trader.

3. It's still a shame that the classic vanilla game still lacks the incentive to explore the world. Robbing the same infinitely renewable POIs by a trader is very tedious. A setting is needed so that the trader would issue each POI only once and would never repeat it again forever/for a while/until any conditions are met (for example, all POIs in the world are fulfilled). Otherwise, the whole variety of POIs or the size of the world do not matter. A very serious Barter nerf is urgently needed (more precisely, a secret stash of a trader) @madmole please, give us a slider, see it while you are here!😂

Archived