Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

I don't even get the point of "exploits", I already posted the literally unbeatable "Junk sledges on a concrete stair case" which is so close to AFK-able that it might as well be. If you want to go full cheese then there's your method, no point in complex traps and designs to do what 5 minutes of building and 15 minutes of AFK Netflix watching on a second monitor can do.

Or you can do the good old "7x7 concrete pillar with holes on the outside to throw molotovs" design which is also basically unbeatable but not afk

On 10/28/2020 at 9:49 PM, madmole said:

10) Trader Progression

• Trader goods offered tweaked to better match gamestage progression
  • Trader prices re-balanced
  • Improvements made to quest progression. Lower tier quests will remain available
  • Improvements to quest tier completion reward and trader to trader quest

Trader prices re-balanced eh?

Has me curious, when alot of other devs use the term balanced it is generally used as a positive spin for nerfs.  But I am not making that assumption

is it selling prices?

Buying prices?

or is it more an adjustment to the prices of the things vendors sell ( somethings going down, somethings going up)

second question, when do we get patch notes?

I assume its when experimental streamer weekend starts.

2 hours ago, LTKarhel said:

Hi guys, or as they say "moin moin" in Germany, that's the first time I wrote here in the chat. Are you all looking forward to patch A20? I'm so hot :)

first:

they don't say "moin moin" in Germany. Also, nobody in Germany dances "Schuhplattler".

These are habits that are performed in other parts of...countries...planets than Germany.

second:

yes, we are all exited because of A20 dropping in Dece...OOOPS now I almost said it.

third:

I will not comment your last sentence,

but be prepared for snowdog jumping in (...and yes, that was ambiguous)

2 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

Trader prices re-balanced eh?

Has me curious, when alot of other devs use the term balanced it is generally used as a positive spin for nerfs.  But I am not making that assumption

is it selling prices?

Buying prices?

or is it more an adjustment to the prices of the things vendors sell ( somethings going down, somethings going up)

second question, when do we get patch notes?

I assume its when experimental streamer weekend starts.

Moin, moin. I assume they have simply adjusted prices (which are selling prices) and the trader usually buys everything with a specific markdown. In A19 the markdown might have been somewhere around 1/10th of the selling price if you don't have bonusses from perks or books or candy.

Correction: Checked XML and selling prices have a markup of 2, buying prices a markdown of .2. So the ratio is still 10. But buying at the trader is at double the price the item says.

43 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Moin, moin. I assume they have simply adjusted prices (which are selling prices) and the trader usually buys everything with a specific markdown. In A19 the markdown might have been somewhere around 1/10th of the selling price if you don't have bonusses from perks or books or candy.

Correction: Checked XML and selling prices have a markup of 2, buying prices a markdown of .2. So the ratio is still 10. But buying at the trader is at double the price the item says.

Adjusted up or down though?

Yes, for example, books and schematics are in the 50% more expensive margin. (books cost 1500 without buffs). Weapons also seem to have steeper prices depending on quality and tech level. Some workstations are more expensive, workstation mods too.

There are actually very few things that are a tiny bit cheaper (maybe basic resources?)

All of this can be seen in the Dev Playthrough videos in the devs'

youtube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFunPimps

Sounds good. People on my server like to "wheel and deal" their way to the top. They don't want to break anything down, they just park 4 - 5 pocket vehicles out in front of POIs and fill them up as a way to bypass their inventory limitations. Then they drive them to the various merchants on the map and sell all their weapons and armor. Once they have 100k dukes because they perk specifically into all the merchant related perks they just buy stuff from everyone else and trades their way to victory. I would like traders to be MUCH more limited, they make the game too easy if you ask me.

1 minute ago, JStanleyF said:

Sounds good. People on my server like to "wheel and deal" their way to the top. They don't want to break anything down, they just park 4 - 5 pocket vehicles out in front of POIs and fill them up as a way to bypass their inventory limitations. Then they drive them to the various merchants on the map and sell all their weapons and armor. Once they have 100k dukes because they perk specifically into all the merchant related perks they just buy stuff from everyone else and trades their way to victory. I would like traders to be MUCH more limited, they make the game too easy if you ask me.

I would make them mortal but respawnable (as some generic trader), along with their locations, but that is a very low priority thing to do according to TFP. They could also have a smaller inventory the first few days.

19 minutes ago, Falcon197 said:

Out of curiosity, why raise prices on goods versus lowering the drop rate / payout for tokens?  Seems like the apocalypse has enough problems without inflation making it worse 😛

There have been a myriad of touch ups including changing the drop rates of various items, changing the mix of items found in particular loot box groups, changing the goods that show up at the store and their pricing, and the payout rewards for quests. Some things went up and some things went down and it is too much for me to give a rundown on all the details of the rebalancing of loot that has gone into A20. You'll just have to experience it when you play and give your feedback. I'm sure there will be both praise and criticism for the choices the developers made on loot balance for A20. Should be fun.

3 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

first:

they don't say "moin moin" in Germany. Also, nobody in Germany dances "Schuhplattler".

These are habits that are performed in other parts of...countries...planets than Germany.

What the heck is "schuhplattler"?

And I have to speak to you again. In northern Germany they say "Moin" or "Moin moin"

So I come from the earth .. @%$# Germany and y come from the Milky Way or how lol

2 hours ago, JStanleyF said:

That being said, you can IMAGINE that they are limited and not use them or use them badly. Apparently, the game needs settings for loot or experience drops, but not settings for rewards and merchant assortment or the presence of a merchant in the world.

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Yes, for example, books and schematics are in the 50% more expensive margin. (books cost 1500 without buffs). Weapons also seem to have steeper prices depending on quality and tech level. Some workstations are more expensive, workstation mods too.

There are actually very few things that are a tiny bit cheaper (maybe basic resources?)

All of this can be seen in the Dev Playthrough videos in the devs'

youtube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFunPimps

is the sale/cost margin still the same? or do things sell for the same and stuff just cost more?

Anyone follow Guns, Nerds, & Steel's videos? He is ending his "The Road" series somewhat abruptly. 

Maybe a good sign of "things to come". He's mentioned he will be part of the Alpha 20 streamer weekend. 

He has pretty good content if anyone is unfamiliar with him. I recommend checking him out. 

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

So I just happened across a tiny channel on YouTube of less than 20 subscribers that has reposted the A20 dev streams uncut. Should I just let them be or would you (ie anyone affiliated with TFP who happens to be reading this) recommend I report them?

Dammit Carl!

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

So I just happened across a tiny channel on YouTube of less than 20 subscribers that has reposted the A20 dev streams uncut. Should I just let them be or would you (ie anyone affiliated with TFP who happens to be reading this) recommend I report them?

You legally can't report them using the DMCA. Only copyright holders can do that. Whether TFP want to take the videos down or leave the videos up, that's up to them.

14 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

Has me curious, when alot of other devs use the term balanced it is generally used as a positive spin for nerfs. 

I mean, as someone who rushes the trader perks, I'll be first to say, they are OP and need to be nerfed. Traders in general that is, I feel like if you fully invest a bunch of perks into it then it's one thing, but just traders as a whole are really strong and will almost certainly be toned down.

34 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I mean, as someone who rushes the trader perks, I'll be first to say, they are OP and need to be nerfed. Traders in general that is, I feel like if you fully invest a bunch of perks into it then it's one thing, but just traders as a whole are really strong and will almost certainly be toned down.

You are not first 😁 

Traders and traderperks is totally broken and OP

Archived