A19 Diary Discussions

Jay_ombie

3 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

This gave me a thought

In the workstation, if a multi-slot upper queue was added like in the forge.
You could put the repair kit, and other repair materials there similar to the anvil bellows cruc.  You could,then,
place up to 6 items in the repair slots and hit the start button to begin.  This way you would not be holding the

weapon or device on person until complete.  But, stone age axe, and shovel should stay on character.

Also a possible idea (although this hiemfire guy dislikes any post suggesting change 😁)

18 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

Also a possible idea (although this hiemfire guy dislikes any post suggesting change 😁)

No. I dislike any post suggesting or demanding (the second happens, the one you originally replied to isn't demanding though) what I see as a pointless increase in complexity (and the rng heavy as is loot grind) to the base game or a return to mechanics TFP has abandoned. You might like games that basically simulate pressing your face against a running belt sander. I don't.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

No. I dislike any post suggesting or demanding (the second happens, the one you originally replied to isn't demanding though) what I see as a pointless increase in complexity (and the rng heavy as is loot grind) to the base game or a return to mechanics TFP has abandoned. You might like games that basically simulate pressing your face against a running belt sander. I don't.

I partly get your point, but much of the concept is a grind from mining to ammo / building material grinding in the 7 day cycle. I am tempted to state that grinding in some way is an essential element of 7D2D. Ofc we are all free to like or dislike it. 

that said, the conversations (not you, but the above posts) starts getting toxic, so I will leave it at that

Edited by Noctoras (see edit history)

On 10/18/2020 at 3:51 AM, Ragex7 said:

Awesome Stuff..

Would like to see you guys making crafting a bit harder in the game.

Like wood frames that uses nails and a crafting table , or hand craft can be like 200% slower.

Concrete needs like water and bucket for each 100 or so.

Smaller detail in crafting gear and weapons.

And most important is to put weapons, Tools and gear degrade stats on. Fk its so boring running from day 35 with the same tier 6 shotgun and gear and Boom 1x repair kit and I'm good again.

Transport can use more that A repair kit to jump from 50% durability to 100%

So much i can think of.

But never the Least BIG SHOUT OUT TO THE DEV TEAM

While anything is possible, I wouldn't get your hopes up. This has not been the direction of the game in multiple alphas. There's plenty of grindier games out there though.

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

So I gather that you guys will make fully dressed npcs. Or will they be able to get naked ? 

Npcs dressed in sections like the player are cool and, honestly, while coders are in short supply when game systems are still developing, you guys have an amazing 3d artist team to invest time in those armor/clothing sets without cheaping off and using just fully dressed people. 

NUMBERS: The 3d artist team pulled off more than 350 assets and entities in less than 9 months. Some of those models were way more than just props. The current total amount of dressing assets  is LESS THAN 100 pieces including armour, wearables and clothing. It's doable.

So I understand that making fully dressed npcs can seem easier in the medium term, but it isn't really because you MUST create/tweak 1 more npc model each time you want a different clothing/armour applied. A character creation tool made from scratch will result in the problem being solved quite fast. From there it's just a little time invested on a proportion standard for all 3d models to avoid body clipping with hair and body and between other pieces of wearable stuff .  

Creating a human entity will be extremely fast with a character creator tool. Clothing is never easy, but achievable using the asian guy artist for armour to avoid clipping problems, LOL (I've seen his work, and I am impressed with the modularity of the assets) . 

Gosh I hope they do modular clothing and/or body parts.  And it's not even as important for human NPCs as it is for zombies.  Zombies are and will be the primary antagonists of the game, we're told.  So we expect to encounter more zombies than bandits, even when the game is finished.

They've put so much work into having random worlds populated with a plethora of different POIs.  But consider that we encounter hundreds of zombies for every POI over the course of gameplay: not just the sleepers inside the POI, but wandering/screamer/challenge/Blood Moon hordes.  In other words, we'll see ten identical Zombie Steves, easy, before we see our second identical house_modern_04.  In that light, it becomes clear that individual variation among zombies is where the real bang-for-your-buck is.

16 hours ago, Blake_ said:

So I gather that you guys will make fully dressed npcs. Or will they be able to get naked ? 

Npcs dressed in sections like the player are cool and, honestly, while coders are in short supply when game systems are still developing, you guys have an amazing 3d artist team to invest time in those armor/clothing sets without cheaping off and using just fully dressed people. 

NUMBERS: The 3d artist team pulled off more than 350 assets and entities in less than 9 months. Some of those models were way more than just props. The current total amount of dressing assets  is LESS THAN 100 pieces including armour, wearables and clothing. It's doable.

So I understand that making fully dressed npcs can seem easier in the medium term, but it isn't really because you MUST create/tweak 1 more npc model each time you want a different clothing/armour applied. A character creation tool made from scratch will result in the problem being solved quite fast. From there it's just a little time invested on a proportion standard for all 3d models to avoid body clipping with hair and body and between other pieces of wearable stuff .  

Creating a human entity will be extremely fast with a character creator tool. Clothing is never easy, but achievable using the asian guy artist for armour to avoid clipping problems, LOL (I've seen his work, and I am impressed with the modularity of the assets) . 

I agree with what you’re saying. If they can’t pull it off for whatever reason it’s ok, but it would be really nice if npc’s were modular for clothing. It would add a lot to the modding scene down the road.

41 minutes ago, hilobites said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but would anyone mind expounding on exactly what Distant Terrain Instancing does? Would that setting help a friend who has lag problems playing on my server?

Are you both on a dedicated server or are you hosting him on the same computer that you are also playing the game on? If the answer is the second one, then that is probably the biggest culprit of the lag your buddy is experiencing. Video settings like Distant Terrain Instancing are designed to improve your own framerate by adjusting them down or turning them off but that is different than network lag.

11 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Gosh I hope they do modular clothing and/or body parts.  And it's not even as important for human NPCs as it is for zombies.  Zombies are and will be the primary antagonists of the game, we're told.  So we expect to encounter more zombies than bandits, even when the game is finished.

They've put so much work into having random worlds populated with a plethora of different POIs.  But consider that we encounter hundreds of zombies for every POI over the course of gameplay: not just the sleepers inside the POI, but wandering/screamer/challenge/Blood Moon hordes.  In other words, we'll see ten identical Zombie Steves, easy, before we see our second identical house_modern_04.  In that light, it becomes clear that individual variation among zombies is where the real bang-for-your-buck is.

That would be the UMA technology introduced a few years ago in Unity... they tried using it both for players and zombies, but it was under-performant during BM nights, so they had to tear it down and change back to hand-modeled zombies (now in HD!).

So unless Unity has HEAVILY optimized that engine part I don't think they'll risk using modular anything anymore... :nono:

12 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

I hope so too. We see too many of the same faces every playthrough. The exploding and ragdolling are amazing and it never gets old, but the same clothing and faces... well.... let's just say variety of feelings and scenery in a procedural world is better than repetition (even high quality repetition is BAD for immersion) . And that stands for ALL systems. A19 is a step forward. They only do steps forward lately. The graphics bar is also SO high lately that we are entitled to demand the real deal. 

Special infected are a whole other issue. At the very least, entities of any size should change colour of clothing or even skin tone to different decay levels. See the ghouls in FALLOUT. They are very easily reused to different forms with just a little time put into clothing and extra detail variety.

That said, THE BEST is always an entity creation tool made from scratch. It takes A LOT of time to create properly with all modular options, but the performance in game and the speed at which you create new entities (Zds, npcs) afterwards is so fast that it is worth it. Worth it for 7dtd, for 7dtd2, 3 or 4. For TESVIII or any title created or in design in any timeline in the past, present or future.

1 hour ago, Khalagar said:

Stun Baton is also less off a meme

Does this phrase basically mean that it is less worthy of being mocked as in being made the subject of a jeering meme?

Just want to make sure I use it correctly in public to make my teenage daughter dies of embarrassment without sounding completely witless to the Millenials and Alphas.  Nothing sus....;)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

Yep, basically just means it's less of a joke, but with my f key sticking on the word of.

Stun Baton actually seems okayish even though it's definitely not min max efficient, but it's fun. If the candy was a perk instead I think it would be in a pretty decent place assuming you can find the fabled stun repulsor mod, but atm it requires an RNG chance mod / book + a time limited candy to compete with the other options.

It requires a lot more work than a club, for less pay off, but it's better than Spear and Machete imo and I attribute most of the min max problem to club just being way stronger than everything else. If the candy was built into the perk and especially if it had 3 variants like everything else, it would be pretty appealing.

One more thing that should be fixed while talking about it, is it's not worth anything. Like it's not even worth picking up a level 6 stun baton to sell and stun baton parts are worth basically nothing too. Not sure why it's valued so much lower than other stuff, I assume because it's priced as a T1 weapon? I just checked and a baseball bat and Junk Sledge are both worth more, so I think the Stun Baton is maybe priced against stone age stuff?  Just a point that's worth investigating if it gets some balancing TLC and if there won't be a higher tier version of the stun baton in A20+

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Just want to say thanks to the devs for being so active and responding to forum comments. It's so nice compared to many other early access devs that basically ignore all feedback and don't interact with their player base at all.

19.2 has been great so far IMO, only issue I have run into is still the stamina drain on mining being so high it makes it pretty hard to really do. I think if Blackstrap coffee / the recipe for it wasn't so rare there might actually be a way to mine pre-Auger but atm on all my A19 runs I have basically stopped mining until late game when I've got an auger.

In my current run I've found like 2 total blackstrap coffee, no recipe for how to make it, and eggs  for bacon and eggs / decent food are too rare to really make mining feasible. Instead off spending a night in a mine, I'm way better  off just spending that time wrenching cars or looting houses and scrapping everything metal I find, even with Rock busters.  Gunpowder mining takes way longer than just finding / buying bullets and buying the gunpowder outright, same with cement and cobblestone etc. Currently in A19, you can essentially never touch a mine and probably be further along than someone who actually mines

I'm loving the Junk Sledges now, I honestly use them more than the Junk Turret most of the time to conserve resources. Stun Baton is also less off a meme thanks to junk sledges. Dual Junk Sledge + Stun Baton can work pretty well, although I think Stun Baton requiring a unique candy just for it is kind of weird since all the other weapons just get buffed from their perks + skulll crushers. The Stun baton candy being a max rank perk reward  instead would make the baton a bit more appealing than clubs

Just a small nitpick, only thing I've been running into is basically just mining being a bit more work than it's really worth / needed.

If you can't find the basic coffee recipe early on, invest a point into Master Chef, maybe a point or two into Living off the Land, and grow your own coffee. Much better than sitting around for weeks hoping that elusive recipe will show up. Also, check vending machines daily; mark them on your map as well.

I've restarted about two dozen times since A19 stable (a me problem, not a game problem), but in my next "stable" world I plan on buying zero ammo components from the traders. Perhaps you could try the same?

With that being said however, I rarely craft ammo in A19. I find the vast majority of it in loot.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Does this phrase basically mean that it is less worthy of being mocked as in being made the subject of a jeering meme?

Just want to make sure I use it correctly in public to make my teenage daughter dies of embarrassment without sounding completely witless to the Millenials and Alphas.  Nothing sus....;)

The correct term is Gen Z (or iGen) actually; they're anything but alphas. The way the world is going, it'll collapse from within due to their lack of skill and ambition. The older generations (even some early to mid Millenials) are the last decent generations, prove me wrong.

But anyway, when @madmole ran out of 7.62 ammo during some of his A18 horde night videos and had to resort to using a shotgun, I don't know how he did it. I'm not calling him a poor player or anything, but I've tried 90 minute days horde every 4-5 days (BM range is a factor), so it's close enough to 60 minute days, and I always have thousands of ammunition in reserve at the end of every horde night, even when I'm not even crafting or buying any from the traders. Maybe I'm missing something? I've never felt the pressure of running out of ammunition. Perhaps the man of the hour himself could provide some answers?

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

If you can't find the basic coffee recipe early on, invest a point into Master Chef, maybe a point or two into Living off the Land, and grow your own coffee. Much better than sitting around for weeks hoping that elusive recipe will show up. Also, check vending machines daily; mark them on your map as well.

Yeah, I do invest a point in master chef for coffee, I'm talking about blackstrap not just normal coffee. Normal Coffee isn't really enough for mining. Basically to mine early and mid game, you need fairly high to maxed out sex rex, good food, and black strap. Which is quite an investment for something that really isn't even important or very strong atm, as like you said, you basically never have to actually craft bullets.

The only thing I even mine is shale and iron, and even that is only because I eat iron like mad for Junk Turrets and because you have to mine shale basically 1 time per playthrough to have infinite gas. Honestly though this time, I've not even gone shale mining, just wrenching cars has kept me at well over 10K gas without ever boiling down shale a single time and with me using a motorcycle + Auger