Open Letter to TFP's...

Demandred1957

I recently came across a comment on a video showing off your vulture missiles when you try to escape the horde, that sums up my feelings exactly about the direction you are taking the game.

I am posting it here, so that maybe you will take a look at what you are doing before you ruin the game.

i see many different ideas of how to avoid the zombies.
how to "exploit" it so the zombies cannot do something or such.
here is my issue with it. sitting on a bike inside a cage, or a POI just to avoid grounded zombies, so it spawns vultures instead, sure you found a way to not get wrecked... but IS THAT WHAT THE GAME SHOULD BE ABOUT???

ive loved this game, but its going out of its way to ignore some kind of anchor to reality...
soon you will have ghost zombie snakes that can enter everywhere and insta kill you every 7th day, why?
because players have found various ways to exploit the different bull@%$*#! that the fun pimps try to implement in order to stop players from staying alive on the 7th day... focus on NPC raiders, let people be able to dig a hole to the underground to avoid zombies. let them build on the top of a mountain to stay safe, let them have zombie fall damage = dead if such be. all this does is give players the option of survival, how do YOU want to play it?

1. instead of forcing players to build a killing/defending base, that 100% will be destroyed after the horde night is over, and then having to spend time to rebuild/repair it... REAL options to survive a possible zombie world would be. Base that is defensible. Base that is unnoticeable. (underground, high ground etc). traps that kills zombies, such as actual traps, using the environment fall damage death etc. Outrun them in vehicles (motorcycle should be able to outrun everything, 4x4 should be able to run through anything, and gyro-copter should be able to fly away from anything).

this would give players the option on how to spend their 7th day. instead you get... 1, defend a base that zombies have 1000 IQ to attack, and await your death. either rinse and repeat this process and spend your days repairing/rebuilding.

2. try and find exploits to avoid being attacked, some ideas have been like "build a cage, under ground, sit on a bike in order to spawn more vultures so they do not dig as well as others... this option is basically riding out the storm in the most ridiculous ways...

3. go out and die, then go sit on the toilet while time simply has to pass so you can log in at 04:00 again... WOW FUN GAME!

4. or the similar option on a multiplayer server, Log out and hope someone else rides out the night... WOW! FUN GAME....

The Fun Pimps seems to be placing their focus on making the 7th day into a bull@%$*#! day... why not focus on things that happens in-between instead? or have the 7th days be different, of course in the beginning its easier, but then it becomes harder, have raiders attack, have a radioactive storm incoming, so that you might not be able to survive in your base location, the night might be "easy" but you cannot stay in your base... there are so much things that can be implemented for random 7days trouble instead of "now you die day and its no way to avoid this, and if you do find a way, we will erase that way in a later update"...

I myself would enjoy building bases and role-playing, you build a base that cannot be accessed by zombies, so its safe, but it needs upkeep, and it can be raided by raiders, but they only come now and then... and in normal days you can be raided while not home, so if you have security you will be alerted on whats attack you, do you need to get back? or can you ignore them. this would make use for traps and multiple sections. and human NPC raiders would option for either doors to enter, or if you are door-less (using gyro-copter to get in and out) they will try and get through on the weakest spot or lowest spot.

there is so much stuff that could be done. and more focus on building, decorating, stuff that is interact-able (forge/workbench etc). if you have electricity, you should be able to install ovens, gas ovens, grills, refrigerators, coffee machines, soda machines. and have decay on fresh items unless stored in a working fridge, or cooler etc. would be easy to have a fridge work on electrical. but if you do not have electricity the option to put in snow as "fuel" that would keep a fridge working for X amount of hours just like using forges etc. having item get zero decay if they are stored in specific storage's. ammo rusts unless in ammo box, a way to clean rusted ammo. SO MUCH stuff they can do... and yet all the focus on is getting you dead on the 7th...

i liked previous alphas when you used the wrench to take down different objects that you could decorate with. instead of just building things from scratch ( i cannot build a tv in real life, FEW can... but i could get a tv from a abandoned house and install it)... someone mentioned a bus that could work as a base, with crafting and storage. that would be awesome, but a simple add-on to the 4x4 with a manual turret for 2players, you mount a turret on there and drive, and your friend works it shooting at zombies running after you. and YET.... all it is about is to make zombies more acrobatic then the best gymnastics in the world, to climb walls, walk on narrow paths, better IQ then anyone to find and hunt the player, specific spawn depending on player is on foot or in a vehicle... all in order to get that player dead on the 7th...
Add events on days that are not horde nights, raiders, survivors, hell, add the option to find NPC survivors to guard your base, requirement is a bed for them and food upkeep. add the option that they can be farming for you (the most boring crap that there is) you build a farm with different things, and you apply a worker to farm it, so every day you get x amount of veggies. and remember, unless you got a good storage to add the zero decay, they will be ruined in x amount of time).
Ive seen on other mods, (and i am not sure if it was in a previous alpha) where you chop the trees down and it becomes smaller, and you can stop chopping so it can grow big again. also growing trees should have options to grow them in different sizes, the world has small trees, medium trees, and large trees, and no matter what you plant as a player, it always grows into a supersize tree...

That's where his post ends, but damn if he didn't nail exactly what I am feeling.
Edit: Just to bring some balance back to my game, this is what I did to nerf the OP vultures....

I just got done dialing the birds back in my game now too, so I wont have to rage here. And I think it's fair. limit of 5 max, made it so they can't just stone stop the 4x4 or motorcycle, and they are just barely slower than those two at top speed. so if you slow down at all, or turn around, or have to make a sharp turn, they are right on you. Since you cant go at full speed all the time unless you are on a main road, that's as good a compromise as I am looking for. (or am able to edit at my skill level which is none). Also since the bicycle and minibike are much slower, but also much earlier game, shouldn't be a balance problem, since you wont be fighting a horde that you would have to bail out on (i would hope) and if you try it, you are still going to get rekt.

I never was looking to just run around all night anyway. Just want a plan B so I can regroup if needed before I rejoin the fight.

There will always be players finding ways to exploit the AI...but I digress...these are just edge cases and they dont represent the entire game.

The devs have stated they will try to fix any unintended AI behavior so if you want to be part of the solution fill out a proper bug report on it.

Regarding day 7 hordes, it's perfectly possible to build a defense that is fun and doesnt require silly exploits with minimal damage.  I did it in A18 in both SP and MP and also against demolition zeds.

As far as everything else you said, go watch all of the recent A19 dev streams regarding all of the new things they have planned as there is alot more then just blood moons.

You know, I do believe there is an option where you disable the 7th day horde? Am not sure about it because I never needed it. Imho I like the change. The game is named 7 days to die, so its the Horde night is the centerpiece of it. Whole purpose of the game is to build a base to survive the 7th day horde, so I have no idea why are you complaining about it. By the way, there is really easy way to survive the 7th day horde. Just run around a house, Zombies are slower than you even when you need to take breaks to refill your stamina. I learned this when my latest horde design failed, so I spent half the horde night running from zombies, shooting few rounds from my rifle switching between the two.

I agree with you on the notion of finding and taking decorative blocks in PoIs thus getting them this way. More incentive to explore and more fun than crafting them.

From what I know lot of effort are made to improve the rest of the game.

Yes, there are ways to make a base that can defeat the horde without taking massive damage. (some, yes, of course!)

It takes a lot of time and resources to build it, and keep the defenses fed, but it can be done.

I did it in 18, and will be trying it in 19.

For early hordes, there are several that are simple to build/use that work fine until the demo zeds show up.

Mind you, I absolutely HATE the digging aspect of the zombies, my opinion is that it's broken the pathing more than

anything else has.  (yes, I should be able to dig to bedrock and make a base that the zombies will not bother with, but that's just my opinion. I agree that digging 2 blocks down should NOT be enough to hide. 50 blocks?)

Vultures attacking vehicles, well, free feathers and whatnot.  You ARE moving, and they attack what moves. I have no problem with that.

As for them catching you, well, zombie vultures have superspeed. heh.

Just be glad they don't have zombie seagulls. (and that turds were removed from the game)  ewwwwww.... 

😛

38 minutes ago, canadianbluebeer said:

Vultures attacking vehicles, well, free feathers and whatnot.  You ARE moving, and they attack what moves. I have no problem with that.

As for them catching you, well, zombie vultures have superspeed. heh.

Actually they will attack anything below 100% health.  If you are on a vehicle of any type and it's not 100% health they attack.  They see the vehicle health as the players health when riding/driving.

2 hours ago, Onarr said:

You know, I do believe there is an option where you disable the 7th day horde? Am not sure about it because I never needed it. Imho I like the change. The game is named 7 days to die, so its the Horde night is the centerpiece of it. Whole purpose of the game is to build a base to survive the 7th day horde, so I have no idea why are you complaining about it. By the way, there is really easy way to survive the 7th day horde. Just run around a house, Zombies are slower than you even when you need to take breaks to refill your stamina. I learned this when my latest horde design failed, so I spent half the horde night running from zombies, shooting few rounds from my rifle switching between the two.

I agree with you on the notion of finding and taking decorative blocks in PoIs thus getting them this way. More incentive to explore and more fun than crafting them.

From what I know lot of effort are made to improve the rest of the game.

No kidding.. But the base game shouldn't be so hard as to need to turn the default settings down. You masochist expert players are all like "git gud noob" that is so b.s. The should keep the settings to make it insane like that on the far end of the difficulty slider. There is a concept called good sportsmanship. TFP need to look that up in the dictionary. On default settings, I should have a good chance of surviving for a long time, as long as I play smart and am careful. This crap they introduced of insta spawning vultures that can stop a two ton 4x4 truck and destroy it is totally unbalanced and broken. If a newer player has a horde go bad, of course they are going to try and bail. It would be the only smart thing to do. But no, TFP have to CHEAT, and fire vulture missiles at you just to satisfy their sense of pride. Just because it's called 7 days to die, doesn't mean it has to be so broken. Like the guy said, at this rate they are going to have ghost zombie snakes that you can't touch that come in a kill you regardless of what you do. Better yet, why don't they just code it so you start with an infection you can't cure, and just make you die on the morning of the 8th day. Cut to the chase and all.

11 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

No kidding.. But the base game shouldn't be so hard as to need to turn the default settings down. You masochist expert players are all like "git gud noob" that is so b.s. The should keep the settings to make it insane like that on the far end of the difficulty slider. There is a concept called good sportsmanship. TFP need to look that up in the dictionary. On default settings, I should have a good chance of surviving for a long time, as long as I play smart and am careful. This crap they introduced of insta spawning vultures that can stop a two ton 4x4 truck and destroy it is totally unbalanced and broken. If a newer player has a horde go bad, of course they are going to try and bail. It would be the only smart thing to do. But no, TFP have to CHEAT, and fire vulture missiles at you just to satisfy their sense of pride. Just because it's called 7 days to die, doesn't mean it has to be so broken. Like the guy said, at this rate they are going to have ghost zombie snakes that you can't touch that come in a kill you regardless of what you do. Better yet, why don't they just code it so you start with an infection you can't cure, and just make you die on the morning of the 8th day. Cut to the chase and all.

I repeat, if you need to bail, you do not need a vehicle. You just run. You can outrun the horde on foot. But then again, what danger is the horde, when you can just skip it? Its what forces you to try different designs, that you improve over time. I understand that our view is a bit biased as we played the game for a long time and already figured out how to build a good base. But guess what? So can you. I understand it is frustrating to see your base crushed, but that is the game. If it lacked any form of danger, it would be boring. Up until now, you could always escape it, now you have to fight it. It makes it so much more important to actually prepare and brings sense of urgency to everything you do.

Btw us veteran players actually play on increased difficulty - we make zombies run during day, increase horde sizes, blood moons every 3 days, remove air drops, do not play trader etc.

TLDR: Lol git gut scrub

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

@Demandred1957 Could you tell us for which horde nights you have problems building a horde base that defends against the horde? Is it day 7 and 14? Is it when glowies turn up? Or is it when demos explode in your base?

Actually none of the above. At least as of A18.4

I have only faced the Day 7 horde in A19 But then again, I also didn't try to run.. I watched a video by Vedui42 on youtube that shows what happens if you try to bail, and that's where I saw the comment I posted. To have a swarm of vultures that can keep up with and destroy the motorcycle, 4x4, and gyrocoptor is just broken, and lacking in sportsmanship on the part of TFP. My last horde of A18 was Day 126, against a 64 count per wave horde, and I did fine till I fell through a hole in my base. BUT I made it to my 4x4, and ran a bunch down until I got a moment to breath, then I got back into my base and finished the horde off. To me, that is fair and balanced. A 4x4 weighs around two tons after all, it SHOULD be able to run zombies over at 60mph. Now, if I were to try that it would be game over. They should attach crazy things like that, and over buffing the dogs, mountain lions, and bears, to the difficulty slider. That way if expert players want that they can have it, but not discourage newer players, or role players, that like to play with a bit of realism.

14 minutes ago, Onarr said:

I repeat, if you need to bail, you do not need a vehicle. You just run. You can outrun the horde on foot. But then again, what danger is the horde, when you can just skip it? Its what forces you to try different designs, that you improve over time. I understand that our view is a bit biased as we played the game for a long time and already figured out how to build a good base. But guess what? So can you. I understand it is frustrating to see your base crushed, but that is the game. If it lacked any form of danger, it would be boring. Up until now, you could always escape it, now you have to fight it. It makes it so much more important to actually prepare and brings sense of urgency to everything you do.

Btw us veteran players actually play on increased difficulty - we make zombies run during day, increase horde sizes, blood moons every 3 days, remove air drops, do not play trader etc.

TLDR: Lol git gut scrub

yeah, lets see you try and outrun a high level horde on foot..Video or it didn't happen. And I didn't say I can't make a good base. I made a base without cheese that took the day 126 horde. But I did have a moment where I fell through a hole, and had to run them down in the 4x4 for a minute, before getting back in my base. Now that would be game over man. And they should make it insane hard with the slider, just for people like you. It sours the experience when you have to turn it down from default. I like to play on default settings for the most part, and I expect to survive for a long time as long as I play smart and careful.

2 hours ago, Sydious said:

Actually they will attack anything below 100% health.  If you are on a vehicle of any type and it's not 100% health they attack.  They see the vehicle health as the players health when riding/driving.

Actually, they will attack even with player and vehicle health at 100%. Have had it happen many times, with all the vehicles except the bicycle, and that's just because I never build the bicycle....

If you are going to avoid the horde you can disable it instead. If you want to make it rarer there is an option for that too.

If you can just bail anytime you feel like, there is no reason for the horde to even spawn. Or for all of these defenses, traps etc, to exist. It's supposed to be an event that threatens you, not just a few optional targets for you to shoot at.

7 minutes ago, RestInPieces said:

If you are going to avoid the horde you can disable it instead. If you want to make it rarer there is an option for that too.

If you can just bail anytime you feel like, there is no reason for the horde to even spawn. Or for all of these defenses, traps etc, to exist. It's supposed to be an event that threatens you, not just a few optional targets for you to shoot at.

you know there is a middle ground right?? I faced the day 126 horde on 64 count on two hrs day cycle with a no cheese base. Have you ever done that?? BUT toward the end of the night I fell through a blast hole in the floor and needed to regroup for a moment. So I jumped in the 4x4, ran a dozen or so zoms down as I caught my breath, then bailed out and made it back into my base, and finished killing them with my lvl 6 M-60... All fair and completely balanced, as all things should be... Now if that exact thing happened again, a few dozen 2 pound vultures would stop and destroy my two TON 4x4 and destroy it and kill me.. Now how is that balanced again??? I never said I couldn't deal with hordes, or that I was trying to avoid them etc.. But on default settings there shouldn't be vulture missiles chasing me down doing the completely impossible, just because TFP are butt hurt that SOME players avoid their babies like that. The hated ones opening line in his post reflects their bias.. "Hello Zombie Food"...need I say more?

1 hour ago, Demandred1957 said:

you know there is a middle ground right?? I faced the day 126 horde on 64 count on two hrs day cycle with a no cheese base. Have you ever done that?? BUT toward the end of the night I fell through a blast hole in the floor and needed to regroup for a moment. So I jumped in the 4x4, ran a dozen or so zoms down as I caught my breath, then bailed out and made it back into my base, and finished killing them with my lvl 6 M-60... All fair and completely balanced, as all things should be... Now if that exact thing happened again, a few dozen 2 pound vultures would stop and destroy my two TON 4x4 and destroy it and kill me.. Now how is that balanced again??? I never said I couldn't deal with hordes, or that I was trying to avoid them etc.. But on default settings there shouldn't be vulture missiles chasing me down doing the completely impossible, just because TFP are butt hurt that SOME players avoid their babies like that. The hated ones opening line in his post reflects their bias.. "Hello Zombie Food"...need I say more?

It doesn't matter whether you specifically only wanted to take a breather for a while. If it's possible to avoid the horde, without any kind of consequence, there is no reason for it to exist.  A middle ground would be some kind of other, perhaps less harsh, consequence when you decide to bail. But harsh enough that will make fighting the horde worthwhile. 

Also do you really need a 4x4 to catch your breath? You could plan your base and have some fall-back alternatives if things get rough. Plus, in the video they don't seem to immediately flock around you. And as Onarr pointed out you can just run, still get away, or even decrease zombie speed specifically on horde nights.

3 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

I also don't get why you need a breather? There should be at least one, better two entrances to your horde base you can use but not the zombies. Think of the second entrance as your 4x4. It is at least as good, because after running to it you are back up in the horde base while the 4x4 can be stuck on a tree, fall in a hole, deplete its gas.

4 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

But on default settings there shouldn't be vulture missiles chasing me down doing the completely impossible

Radiated, glowing, regenerating, concrete-destroying utility workers are A-OK, though, yeah? Cops who vomit acid 10m totes legit? Prone zombies climbing vertical surfaces count as "completely possible"? What do any of us know about what is "possible" for a zombie vulture? Have you ever studied them in the wild, tracked their flight speed and beak hardness? Stop looking for realism and start looking for consistency. Vultures have attacked vehicles for several versions now. So they got a speed & damage boost, meh. Adapt or die.

8 hours ago, Onarr said:

You know, I do believe there is an option where you disable the 7th day horde?

This is an option for single player but not for multiplayer on public servers. You'd have to run your own server to disable the horde.

One point that is often forgotten is that time stops when the last player has logged out.
If this happens just before the horde, the next player to log in will be in for a nasty surprise as he will hardly have time to prepare. It is also possible that he has logged out at a place far away from the base.

The player now has three options in this situation. He can quickly log out and try to reach the server admin to set the clock forward. He leaves it to another player to deal with the horde. Or he quickly puts down a bedroll and lets the horde kill him. Then he hides for the rest of the night and gets his backpack when it's morning.

@Demandred1957: i am guessing that if there had never been a 4x4 in 18.4 you would have utilized some other strategy to  recover from the falling. it is a very fun vehicle and you have some fun memories attached to it,  but you proved you were able to utilize what was available and overcome. time to do so again.  please do share with us the story of how you make it to day 226 in a19 and how you did it.

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

I also don't get why you need a breather? There should be at least one, better two entrances to your horde base you can use but not the zombies. Think of the second entrance as your 4x4. It is at least as good, because after running to it you are back up in the horde base while the 4x4 can be stuck on a tree, fall in a hole, deplete its gas.

ummm watch the video yourself.. 20:59 is the exact moment I fell, and you tell me how you would survive??

3 hours ago, Boidster said:

Radiated, glowing, regenerating, concrete-destroying utility workers are A-OK, though, yeah? Cops who vomit acid 10m totes legit? Prone zombies climbing vertical surfaces count as "completely possible"? What do any of us know about what is "possible" for a zombie vulture? Have you ever studied them in the wild, tracked their flight speed and beak hardness? Stop looking for realism and start looking for consistency. Vultures have attacked vehicles for several versions now. So they got a speed & damage boost, meh. Adapt or die.

No they ain't A-ok.. they are OP as well, but there comes a point where it feels like they are cheating, and this is that point. And they didn't just get a spped and damage boost. Now they are completely and totally broken.

6 hours ago, RestInPieces said:

It doesn't matter whether you specifically only wanted to take a breather for a while. If it's possible to avoid the horde, without any kind of consequence, there is no reason for it to exist.  A middle ground would be some kind of other, perhaps less harsh, consequence when you decide to bail. But harsh enough that will make fighting the horde worthwhile. 

Also do you really need a 4x4 to catch your breath? You could plan your base and have some fall-back alternatives if things get rough. Plus, in the video they don't seem to immediately flock around you. And as Onarr pointed out you can just run, still get away, or even decrease zombie speed specifically on horde nights.

What are you talking about? Doubt you watched the video, since I just posted it to answer the mods question..

The only point I do agree on is vultures are a bit of a pain in the @%$*#! but it's an obstacle that just needs dealt with. 

Most other people seem them as free feathers, bones, & rotten flesh & they are right as well. 

It's all a balancing act & I think the Fun Pimps are doing just fine at it.

Are you trolling? 

I just watched the video. Yes, you fell at 2059. And you did not take a breather, you drove around till after 0400 to avoid fighting the horde.

Sure, you went back to your base after 0400 and killed them. But driving around for literally almost 7 in game hours is not a breather imo.

2 hours ago, katarynna said:

Are you trolling? 

I just watched the video. Yes, you fell at 2059. And you did not take a breather, you drove around till after 0400 to avoid fighting the horde.

Sure, you went back to your base after 0400 and killed them. But driving around for literally almost 7 in game hours is not a breather imo.

Lol...that was a long @%$*#! breather.....

....I'm sorry Demandred, but your going to have to learn to adapt to the change.  What's OP as hell is driving around for hours in relative safety for the majority of the event.  It's not about whether its realistic or not, the blood moon is a nut check gameplay event which you either survive or die. 

Imo you lost that blood moon as soon as you drove off in the sunset.  Your only fooling yourself if you think that was a breather...and you won...

As far as running around on foot and surviving a blood moon...guys do it all the time now even when there are demolishers.  Stop by the image and video sub forums and check out some of the videos there if you dont believe me...

Edit: another few words of advice, try not to overthink/over analyze what you see in videos until you experience it yourself.  Why worry over something that hasnt even happened to you yet?  Just try enjoying the game in the moment and take on each change as a new survival challenge...

...hell I died 2 a dire wolf in the latest build which hasnt happen to me in ages.  If they leave it like that I'll just adapt and figure out a new way to survive.

The game has a lot of Tower Defense focus in it. 

That means, there will be waves of great varying zombies; ranged, flying, juggernauts, tanks, climbing, summoning... speaking in general terms. Big part of the whole idea of the game, is to design and improvise and find ways to overcome this. The game offers a wide variety of skills and tools to accomplish this, and since it is only a game, people will find cheesy ways to defeat some of the mechanics...especially in early access. Yes, it is not done, and final balancing and tweaks are some time away after all content is in ( I completely agree the demolition zombies are just way off the reservation. Something doing that much damage, should not be that hard to kill, and there should not be spawning so many of them either) , but I feel a lot of people missed one of the core intended mechanics here. It is not just a building survival game, but a Tower Defense with a lot of added flavor, the best way I can describe it in my limited English. 

3 hours ago, katarynna said:

Are you trolling? 

You're confusing video time index with in-game time. 20:59 in the video is 3:26 in his game. So he drove around for only half an hour until the sun came up.

Archived