Open Letter to TFP's...

Demandred1957

8 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Electrical fences and AP ammo mostly for concentrated fire when they show up.

I've tried that. Works in 4 out of 5 cases but the fifth one explodes because I accidentally hit the button.

So for me this is not a solution that works reliably. The only solution that proved to be reliable for me were the dart traps but you need a lot of them.

5 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I've tried that. Works in 4 out of 5 cases but the fifth one explodes because I accidentally hit the button.

So for me this is not a solution that works reliably. The only solution that proved to be reliable for me were the dart traps but you need a lot of them.

You can now also try out blade traps, since they no longer prime the demos. Having more options is a good thing.

5 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I use some dart traps too but dont rely on them for the bulk of my base DPS. 1 demo explosion wont wreck a fully upgraded base either so that's fine by my standards.

28 minutes ago, katarynna said:

You can now also try out blade traps, since they no longer prime the demos. Having more options is a good thing.

I will integrate them into my next base design. I will probably use 8 dart traps to thin out the horde first and add then 2 or 3 blade traps to do the rest.

23 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I use some dart traps too but dont rely on them for the bulk of my base DPS. 1 demo explosion wont wreck a fully upgraded base either so that's fine by my standards.

In general, one or two explosions are no problem if you upgrade everything to steel. My goal is a base where I just stand in the corner with a bag of popcorn and enjoy the show :) 

@meganoth Solomon and his friend are playing on 18.4 per pics. Not a MP player so no idea but wasn't there a change on how MP handles Gamestage in a19?

@Solomon , thanks for the pics, excellent choice of a POI to take over for a horde base.

And there are some solid design elements/solutions in what you've built.

Certainly looks to me like you're learning and adapting, kudos! :)

Only real concern is what meganoth mentioned, the ladders.

There's a pic in the spoiler of my earlier post with an example of how I use ladders that keeps the zeds from climbing them, and also makes it easier for the player to climb up.

In case you & your buddy find yourselves inclined to do more horde vs. base experiments; you can use the 'debug mode' (enable via the console with " dm " ) then enter the Escape screen and there you can adjust the Day/Time.

Wouldn't recommend doing this on your main save game.

But it's useful if you want to start a new game, use the Creative Menu to give yourselves roughly what you'd have had by Day X, build a test base then advance the Day/Time to the horde night you're after.

----

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

In general, one or two explosions are no problem if you upgrade everything to steel. My goal is a base where I just stand in the corner with a bag of popcorn and enjoy the show :) 

heh. My goal is to stop building bases where I only wind up shooting zeds because I'm bored. My fault, old pc, can't handle high max alives. But I may try really dropping resolution down to like 640x480 (lol) to see how many alive it might handle.

Hey, don't judge, I started gaming before the first Id Doom was available, so pixels rather than pictures ain't anything new :biggrin1:

3 hours ago, katarynna said:

Thank you, i just tried it out, and i discovered a new blade trap setup at the same time. Quite brutal this one.

Warning: Just a game, but quite graphical content. Very loud too. A mod may delete the link if they find it unsuitable for this audience.

Spoiler

Video:

End link.

13 hours ago, RipClaw said:

But the game is not called "7 Days to fight the horde" either. So if you go strictly by the title you are not allowed to fight the horde but have to let the horde kill you. By the way, the title originally referred to the infection that created the zombies. The bloodmoon horde was added to the game later.

so let it kill you then  ;)

19 hours ago, meganoth said:

Nice base with lots of fallback positions. The only problem: Zombies can climb ladders. So if they succeed in breaching 3 blast doors (which I find highly unlikely if you repair from time to time) they would have access to all further positions. One possible remedy is to not build the lowest two rungs of the ladder and jump on the ladder if you need to use it. This won't work with the ladder down, you need to use a hatch or invent some other way to prevent the zombies from just going down the ladder.

The same problem is with the long ladder on the side from the bottom up.

To jump on a ladder with the lowest rungs missing you need to step a bit back before jumping, by the way. Or like Laz Man explained, add two plates flat on the wall where the lowest rungs would sit and you can jump easily on the ladders.

The zombie pathfinding is also limited to a number of blocks, I heard 40 somewhere but could be totally wrong. So possibly zombies attacking from the back might not find the way up, but you'll find out soon if this is the case. 😉

15 hours ago, FileMachete said:

thanks for the pics, excellent choice of a POI to take over for a horde base.

And there are some solid design elements/solutions in what you've built.

Certainly looks to me like you're learning and adapting, kudos! :)

Only real concern is what meganoth mentioned, the ladders.

There's a pic in the spoiler of my earlier post with an example of how I use ladders that keeps the zeds from climbing them, and also makes it easier for the player to climb up.

In case you & your buddy find yourselves inclined to do more horde vs. base experiments; you can use the 'debug mode' (enable via the console with " dm " ) then enter the Escape screen and there you can adjust the Day/Time.

Wouldn't recommend doing this on your main save game.

But it's useful if you want to start a new game, use the Creative Menu to give yourselves roughly what you'd have had by Day X, build a test base then advance the Day/Time to the horde night you're after.

Well we have enough mats for some hatches and i already learned how unwieldy the ladders can be so im gonna just remove those parts (or add those plates) on it and jump on.

The last emergency option honestly is on the last and the second pictures, that big rock on the side is just long enough to jump on it without breaking your legs so we gonna hop down if all is lost and make a run to our main base of operations (the walled building on the first picture on the left side with the open door over the garage).

We are currently fighting 16 zombies per wave as default setting because we play in duo so they can be overwhelming fast as we noticed.

I would strongly suggest not making a run to your main base of operations lol. 

That will make the horde follow you there and they may bring it all down.

Just fight them in the streets with melee or make a run for a cleared poi and fight from it's roof, or really anything except leading the zombies to your home and hoping they don't destroy it.

4 hours ago, Solomon said:

Well we have enough mats for some hatches and i already learned how unwieldy the ladders can be so im gonna just remove those parts (or add those plates) on it and jump on.

The last emergency option honestly is on the last and the second pictures, that big rock on the side is just long enough to jump on it without breaking your legs so we gonna hop down if all is lost and make a run to our main base of operations (the walled building on the first picture on the left side with the open door over the garage).

We are currently fighting 16 zombies per wave as default setting because we play in duo so they can be overwhelming fast as we noticed.

If you set the concurrent zombies on horde night to 16, it means 16 per player.

If you play together with someone else with standard options you already get double the zombies at any time than one player would get. 3 players would get 3 times the zombies of a single player, so 24 concurrent at any time. In other words, the game already scales the difficulty of the zombie waves up for multiplayer

Since you set the concurrent zombies to 16 that means you have 32 zombies  at any moment spawned, that is a massive jump in difficulty for horde night, more than you would get by just setting difficulty one higher.

Archived