Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

6 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Well, other games have used variations of RNG for class builds.  For example, many mmorpgs out there have critical hit builds that % based damage increases versus sustained damage output.  One could argue that those classes roles are not balanced but they sure are fun to play.  At least for me.

I could care less if it is balanced between attributes. If you ask me, that is actually a detrimental design philosophy. Making it fun and viable is my goal. It isn't a competition between perks and weapons, it is what makes you tick? What combination of stuff suits you? If you want it all you can have it all, but just not now. The perk tree as a whole produces a variety of cool builds that play different and provide different satisfying results. I'm still doing agility and am now doing 6x sneak damage at night with my bow, which is quite awesome. I actually inverted my play style, I used to quest all day with my strength build, and build at night, now this character does one little job at night and then enjoys building an entire day, because I do more damage at night and I can move around unseen.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

Machine gunner being OP is relevant to the balance.

"useless" or "Almost rendered useless" is such a hyperbole sentence. Should I say now the knuckles are the best even though I know they are just the least best of them all 😉 ?

I have a friend who still recounts his turn as brawler in the previous game as great fun (and he isn't someone who would have fun with an ineffectual weapon). Did you ever try brawler together with beer or are you just theory-crafting with the stats?

I think brawlers are awesome, combined with beer and books they are better than ever. I had a ton of fun with my fort build in A18. Things got too hairy I pull out the m60 and AP rounds and rooms are cleared. Lets not forget you can't get infected using a brawler if you score the first punch to the face. Little things like that stack up in the grand scheme of things. Not fussing with infections is nice. I had so much regen I rarely used medicine.

3 hours ago, Aldranon said:

People argue about what melee weapon is best, but when the bandits come, it could be like that saying: "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight".  😁

I mean as GS grows, melee starts becoming obsolete.  I suppose if you don't mind dying or are extra careful, then you can use anything. 

Not even, I do T5's and nothing but melee on Warrior. Just use choke points like doors, or run to them smash a guy down, kite around, strafing swinging etc. Crack knees for knockdowns, etc. As long as you have stamina and power attacks you are in good shape. I only use guns when stamina reaches zero.

6 hours ago, Khalagar said:

I've been thinking about it, and really I think what a lot of the "problem" with balance at the moment is, is that there are no ranged enemies. Adding bandits with guns will DRASTICALLY change the balance of what weapons are good and add situations where you actually *need* to switch weapons.

Right now, the only range that matters is close range. The only enemy in the game that has a single ranged attack is the cop, and they still run to you. Not a single other enemy can damage you outside of melee range, so therefore, no other range matters. If you see a zombie a mile away, it's not a threat and it doesn't matter if you only have a shotgun, it will either come to you, or you ignore it. The shotgun is insane at close range and will churn the entire horde into paste, so you don't need any other weapon

Spears, shotguns, snipers, even the m60 etc will all be pretty heavily balanced against each other when there are ranged enemies. Being able to throw a spear currently is fun but not really that important, but throwing it at a guy with a gun who's shooting you will be a legit asset over the club

Yes bandits will be a game changer. Special infected with ranged attacks will be here before bandits though.

HELLO 

ID LIKE TO REMIND PEOPLE THAT SERVERS THAT CHARGE MONEY FOR IN GAME ITEMS FOR PROFIT IS AGAINST POLICY. THESE SERVERS SEEM TO BE POPPING UP MORE THAN I CAN EVER REMEMBER AND I HAVE 18000+ HOURS IN THIS GAME. SO IF YOU SEE ONE OF THESE SERVERS THAT CHARGE MONEY FOR PAY TO WIN ITEMS ID SUGGEST NOT JOINING OR PLAYING ON THEM.https://imgur.com/a/UXiy1Fj

1 hour ago, OzzFreak said:

whats with the enimies, (can't call them zombies anymore, i guess infected or mutant ) being able to jump like a friggin gazelle? they walk around barly moving get to the top of a ramp and BOOM i'm Micheal F'n Jordan...

I was watching dying light and they jump up on stuff and pull themselves up, it looked awesome. Able to get up 3 meter high obstacles no problem.

1 minute ago, Grandpa Minion said:

HELLO 

ID LIKE TO REMIND PEOPLE THAT SERVERS THAT CHARGE MONEY FOR IN GAME ITEMS FOR PROFIT IS AGAINST POLICY. THESE SERVERS SEEM TO BE POPPING UP MORE THAN I CAN EVER REMEMBER AND I HAVE 18000+ HOURS IN THIS GAME. SO IF YOU SEE ONE OF THESE SERVERS THAT CHARGE MONEY FOR PAY TO WIN ITEMS ID SUGGEST NOT JOINING OR PLAYING ON THEM.https://imgur.com/a/UXiy1Fj

And I'd like to remind you to stay on topic. If people are dumb enough to risk getting sued or pay money to the trolls doing that, its on them but it doesn't belong in this thread.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

And I'd like to remind you to stay on topic. If people are dumb enough to risk getting sued or pay money to the trolls doing that, its on them but it doesn't belong in this thread.

Hey MM, whats the latest on the stable build.  Any particular MF's that are being a pain in the rear?

24 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Man oh man, they're saltier than the fries you find at a burger joint. 😛

So you're saying we're not going to get a fully automatic rapid fire shotgun that fires homing rounds that can travel a good 50+ meters? Dawww. :(

i want a auto shotgun with a Minigun barrel, A 8x8 scope, 2 tires!, a Laser, a Gauss cannon!, a Double barrel shotgun on the bottom!, a glass bottle! and corn bread! 

6 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Hey MM, whats the latest on the stable build.  Any particular MF's that are being a pain in the rear?

oh he might be me!

*Auto Sable responses *

"when it is done"

1 minute ago, madmole said:

I could care less if it is balanced between attributes. If you ask me, that is actually a detrimental design philosophy. Making it fun and viable is my goal. It isn't a competition between perks and weapons, it is what makes you tick? What combination of stuff suits you? If you want it all you can have it all, but just not now. The perk tree as a whole produces a variety of cool builds that play different and provide different satisfying results. I'm still doing agility and am now doing 6x sneak damage at night with my bow, which is quite awesome. I actually inverted my play style, I used to quest all day with my strength build, and build at night, now this character does one little job at night and then enjoys building an entire day, because I do more damage at night and I can move around unseen.

Since I was the one they were replying to with the comment you quoted, I'll lay out why I see it as an issue as best I can. Having a perk tree set up so that from go it relies on having not bad - good loot rng for it's perks to have any use is a recipe for having that tree be a frustrating mess when rng decides for what ever reason "Nope, not going to drop that item you're searching so desperately for." despite having the perked ability to build it from the end of the tutorial quest and no other option that makes use of the perk. That's Int till GS hits iron age from what I've seen.

33 minutes ago, madmole said:

Special infected with ranged attacks will be here before bandits though.

Aw yes! Infected Porcupine monster that shoots quills?! I don't know what the official stance on "lore" is, but I think the idea of zombified mutant animals is cooler than just zombies that use guns for whatever reason.

Tactical Assault Helicopter Hawk™ incoming with it's long range feather attack that makes no sense but works anyway

8 minutes ago, dan said:

But seriously, you need to get out more.

heh heh :)  ... math says Gramps could take 4 full weeks of vacation a year, and every weekend off and 'only' play ~11 hours a day. Still plenty of time for Jepordy/news/meals/walks & sleep. can't imagine the boredom though, but maybe the alzheimers helps?

(sry! just joking around :biggrin1: )

2 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

heh heh :)  ... math says Gramps could take 4 full weeks of vacation a year, and every weekend off and 'only' play ~11 hours a day. Still plenty of time for Jepordy/news/meals/walks & sleep. can't imagine the boredom though, but maybe the alzheimers helps?

(sry! just joking around :biggrin1: )

Rookie numbers. 😆

(again, jk)

*Shaky old man voice* Back in my day, when I played 7 Days To Die 24/7, 365... Those were the times...

😆

I have this on console and PC. no idea how many total hours i have in this game but i am loving damn near every minute of it.  Ive been watching many of the great content creators and decided im jumping into 19 as well.  I have not been hit with the 169b flutter, but my daughter has.   Sure things need leveled out a bit and some things are OP while others need help, but Life isnt fair.  this is a survival game.  do what you have to do to survive! lol

Personally im working the Strength and just got a level 5 Steel CLub.  its a good day! 

Thanks guys for a great game!  the passion in this thread alone is enough to prove how great it is.

13 minutes ago, Doctor3D said:

Shouldn't abrasions, stuns, bleeding, etc be more common? I'm on day 101 and one of us just now got our first abrasion...

Especially bleeding. I don't even bother crafting regular bandages anymore. I actually haven't bled yet in A19, and with my previous horde base I got hit pretty darn often.

@madmole Two of the critical hits, those being concussions and fatigue, are cured instantly once you chug a painkiller or a vitamin respectively. Perhaps instead the time for their curing could be reduced down to 10-15 minutes once you take the appropriate medication much like abrasions, but also like abrasions the time for you to heal from them could be raised if you're hit multiple times? It feels a bit inconsistent, having an instant cure. Your thoughts on this feedback?

Archived