So eager for A18e! No more juice for A17, knowing what's coming.

jdifran

I have no interest in continuing my A17 game, knowing what is in store in A18. So I've fired up the Way Back Machine™ and am replaying Half-Life: Source for the umpteenth time. (Next up, Blue Shift, if A18e isn't released soon.)

How are you passing the time? Still having fun in A17? Playing other games? Just hitting F5? Watching the world burn in real time?

I ran out of juice for A17 at around 17.2. Looking forward to seeing what A18 has in store, but if the AI are still structural engineers, then I'll skip that Alpha and keep playing GTA5 online, with the hopes the fix the AI for A19.

How are you passing the time? Still having fun in A17? Playing other games? Just hitting F5? Watching the world burn in real time?

I'm using the time to test some base defense ideas. I'm assuming that the zombies in A18 won't be fundamentally different from those in A17. In between I also play some raft and desert skies.

I'm binge watching Lucifer on Netflix. Spending a bit of time with Oxygen Not Included. I have Tropico 6 but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. And yeah, I'm burned out on 7D2D. Seriously considering firing up my A15 server again, I never did get past day 40 or so.

And yeah, I'm burned out on 7D2D. Seriously considering firing up my A15 server again, I never did get past day 40 or so.

You could try the new War of the Walkers Mod for Alpha 17 on the server. Maybe the fun lasts a bit longer here.

It was a game mode where you played in a small arena and got multiple airdrops during the day with building mats, weapons, food, and tools, and ammo. You spent each day building as quickly as possible and then at night you’d get the equivalent of a blood moon horde.

Pretty much pure tower defense and a ton of fun. Death ended the game and you got a score for days survived and zombies killed.

Perfect game mode for when you were waiting for the next alpha and not wanting to start a long term survival game.

I ran out of juice after 1 short and 2 medium games of a17. Shortest alpha lifespawn by far for my taste.

I've played a ton of games since then. Pathfinder Kingmaker, The Surge, Cross Code (Hidden gem if anybody wants to try it), Grim Dawn, replayed borderlands 2, and Im with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 right now.

I can agree that A17 had the least amount of hours i spent in 7DTD... Still i find it a positive step towards something greater... Like A18 ;)

Exploring more of Empyrion (especially their new Alpha 10 content), finishing Dying Light, pushing forward my Dark Souls 3 characters, experiencing Project Zomboid, but most importantly: Finishing tasks in Grand Prix in Crash Team Racing! I lack so little to get the final rewards...

That's the biggest problem with development of 7d.

From the moment we know a time frame of new alpha and the scope of(every single time massive changes), players are just completely deflated and decide to wait for next alpha instead of playing current one as there is little point in continuing current, inferior one that would have to be wiped clean again.

People who ONLY play 7d don' have this problem, but people with other games will just go to them, ending in endless cycle of playing new alpha for 2-3 months and then waiting 9+ months for another one(so what about that "new alpha release every 3 months" cycle we were promissed again?).

At this point, development while still going in right direction feels infuriating and playing the game feels completely pointless.

I'm playing A17 with friends two evenings in the week. At that speed the game does not get old too fast. If I played it daily I'm sure I would be burned out right now and just waiting for A18.

A16 was a little different because there were 4 big mods we did play through until A17 arrived.

That's the biggest problem with development of 7d.

From the moment we know a time frame of new alpha and the scope of(every single time massive changes), players are just completely deflated and decide to wait for next alpha instead of playing current one as there is little point in continuing current, inferior one that would have to be wiped clean again.

People who ONLY play 7d don' have this problem, but people with other games will just go to them, ending in endless cycle of playing new alpha for 2-3 months and then waiting 9+ months for another one(so what about that "new alpha release every 3 months" cycle we were promissed again?).

At this point, development while still going in right direction feels infuriating and playing the game feels completely pointless.

If it takes TFP a year to make enough content for people to play for 2-3 months how much content will they be able to get in on a 3 month cycle?

If it takes TFP a year to make enough content for people to play for 2-3 months how much content will they be able to get in on a 3 month cycle?

Oh you know, probably the same or more if not for the fact that alpha to alpha for last 5 years they are completely scrapping and remaking all the core features over and over again.

At one point in time you just have to settle with something and write down ideas for 2nd game or get used to seeing some of the oldest and most loyal players leave the game en masse due to zero stabilization, no optimization(since you can't optimize anything if you constantly flip over all the systems around completely iteration to iteration) as game seems to run worse and worse alpha to alpha.

Or using a metaphor:

Its easier to print a book on a printer if you don't throw away printer and manually make a new one after every singular page printed, while also rewriting every second page.

I had my fair share of fun with the game, but with absolutely ZERO focus on anything, zero actual goals, no actual plan, doing everything impulsively "because we can" I am seriously concerned if my grandkids will live long enough to see this game released.

I am not interested in eternal alpha projects anymore.

Every single thing in A18 except for (god I do hope they REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME) "last" perk rework is a content that's suitable for regular expnasion/free DLC.

Over the years, excitement and anticipation turned to exhaustion and indifference.

I'm still following the game and updates, but its impossible to muster any strength to play the game, knowing it'll all be thrown away with next update and then 2-4 following smaller updates that nuke everything over and over only to get burned out and be forced to wait another year.

I still love the game. I've never tried a mod (I'll mess with that once we see beta). That's the glory of 7D2D; I can always find something to do to amuse myself. As we approach the next alpha(s), I may play shorter sessions, but still enjoy the game. I am squeezing in some Judgment: Apocalypse Survival Simulation too.

-Morloc

Oh you know, probably the same or more if not for the fact that alpha to alpha for last 5 years they are completely scrapping and remaking all the core features over and over again.

At one point in time you just have to settle with something and write down ideas for 2nd game or get used to seeing some of the oldest and most loyal players leave the game en masse due to zero stabilization, no optimization(since you can't optimize anything if you constantly flip over all the systems around completely iteration to iteration) as game seems to run worse and worse alpha to alpha.

Or using a metaphor:

Its easier to print a book on a printer if you don't throw away printer and manually make a new one after every singular page printed, while also rewriting every second page.

I had my fair share of fun with the game, but with absolutely ZERO focus on anything, zero actual goals, no actual plan, doing everything impulsively "because we can" I am seriously concerned if my grandkids will live long enough to see this game released.

I am not interested in eternal alpha projects anymore.

Every single thing in A18 except for (god I do hope they REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME) "last" perk rework is a content that's suitable for regular expnasion/free DLC.

Over the years, excitement and anticipation turned to exhaustion and indifference.

I'm still following the game and updates, but its impossible to muster any strength to play the game, knowing it'll all be thrown away with next update and then 2-4 following smaller updates that nuke everything over and over only to get burned out and be forced to wait another year.

I have good memories of each alpha and I’m glad I explored them despite the fact that the gameplay changed. I got to play 7 Days without any character progression at all, with LBD progression, and now with common pool progression.

I got to play with craftable weapons parts using molds, with quality tier weapons parts, and now with no weapons parts, and soon there will be a new type of weapons parts mechanic for A18.

Waste of time? It’s been entertaining to follow the development and see the progression of the game. There are lots of games in my library and lots of games I’ve played on past systems that only exist now in memory. Just because I no longer play them or can play them because the platform they were on no longer exists it wasn’t a waste of time playing. It was fun while it lasted.

I’m in no rush for the game to stop reinventing itself seeing as it doesn’t cost me a thing for each new iteration.

I got to play with craftable weapons parts using molds, with quality tier weapons parts, and now with no weapons parts, and soon there will be a new type of weapons parts mechanic for A18.

IMO this is a good example for "absolutely ZERO focus on anything, zero actual goals, no actual plan, doing everything impulsively". I personally miss the development in this project, the advancement, the golden thread. Sometimes is one step ahead sometimes it's one step ahead and one or two steps backwards. Some years ahead there might be an alpha 20 where you craft weapons by using some weapon factory POIs and DEVs will talk about them beeing unhappy with the crafting system so that alpha 21 will receive a major overhaul.

At the end of a day it's a matter of taste and point of view. Someone might see a game reinventing itself. I see a dog chasing its tail.

Lucky for me, my perspective also includes a view behind the curtain and I can assure you that your view is mistaken and incomplete.

They are very much into experimentation and if something doesn’t work with everything else as they were wanting, they do retool. They also save everything. There may be a future game that develops the idea of molds for weapons parts or LBD. Just because they ultimately reject something for this game doesn’t mean they won’t revisit it again in a future project.

Archived