So eager for A18e! No more juice for A17, knowing what's coming.

jdifran

I personally hear ya Roland. But perception is stronger than fact sometimes.

Most people that own the game will never read your words or know what's going on. And from a gamer point of view the past 2 updates are giving the perception TFP are trying out game progression mechanics, not liking then, and redoing them. Reworking mechanics and such. That's just how it looks.

Now your here to clue us in and that's great. Some will be educated but others wont trust that's the case. Not saying anyone here dosent believe you, I have no idea. I know I believe you but that's all I can say.

Yes, and I can forgive the uninformed masses who see 7 Days to Die as just another title in their library and who are not following the development for feeling like there is no plan.

I was specifically talking about people here who are following and who hold onto their worst case scenario speculations even though there is testimony to the contrary from people who aren’t speculating.

I can totally see how TFP gives the impression at first glance of being rudderless.

Interesting to know. From the player's point of view one had the impression in A16 that the developers had put the LBD aspect even more into focus than in A15 and not less. That's why it was so surprising that LBD in A17 was completely removed.

That is mainly the fault of them taking so long to develop and release A17. We had A16 for so long it became The Game instead of being the next iteration of the game.

To consider something as a placeholder for which the designers have designed whole buildings is somewhat paradoxical. What would the Crack a Book be without the books in the game? Only a source for paper ?

They are not just designing this game. They are designing modular systems that they plan to use for future projects. They spent a lot of time developing the book system because they knew that even if they ultimately rejected it for this game they very well might want it for the next one. They are building an arsenal of systems and mechanics that will be able to be combined for any game they wish to make in the future. It does seem counter-intuitive that they spend so much time developing things that end up getting cut but just think of them as investments.

I only just started playing with alpha 17 recently. I can't believe I wasn't aware of this game until now, this kind of thing is right up my alley. I fully expect to waste hundreds if not thousands of hours of my life playing this game.

That said, seeing all the great refinements, refactors, and additions coming in alpha 18 has got me champing at the bit to play it. I particularly can't for quality-derived item stats. Right now getting a level 6 gun doesn't feel too important.

I also really like the changes to the perk system. I don't like feeling like I have to jump around between the different trees to make a decent character, I'd rather be able to home in on a few aspects of gameplay and really specialize. It should add a lot of replay value, too.

The perk books also seem pretty cool!

I feel like it was a mistake for me to read up on Alpha 18, because now I'm having a hard time summoning the will to play Alpha 17, even though I was enjoying myself before that. Now I just hit F5 on here, TFP's youtube, and Joel's twitter hoping for news when I should be playing the game!

Oh well, at least A18 should theoretically be here within the next few weeks. If I'm not mistaken they said "before school starts" in the recent livestream, so hopefully sooner than later, though I know not to get my hopes up TOO much!

Excellent game, looking forward to more excellence!

I got tired of a17 once I started playing mods, now vanilla is so boring to me I can't even bother with it anymore, I'll play a18 vanilla probally till the mods I like get ported to it, then drop vanilla real quick. My issue with a17 is by day 7, you can be very well off and have virtually no reason to explore anymore. You'll craft way better than you'll find usually. I really have no idea how people can go till day 50+ in vanilla a17 and not be bored out of their skul.

That is mainly the fault of them taking so long to develop and release A17. We had A16 for so long it became The Game instead of being the next iteration of the game.

Thankfully A18 is developed much faster..? ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I got tired of a17 once I started playing mods, now vanilla is so boring to me I can't even bother with it anymore, I'll play a18 vanilla probally till the mods I like get ported to it, then drop vanilla real quick. My issue with a17 is by day 7, you can be very well off and have virtually no reason to explore anymore. You'll craft way better than you'll find usually. I really have no idea how people can go till day 50+ in vanilla a17 and not be bored out of their skul.

What I did is to put loot abundance on 25%. That changed the game dramatically for me.

I really have no idea how people can go till day 50+ in vanilla a17 and not be bored out of their skul.

It's simple. Other people have different interests in the game. Killing zombies and looting is the boring part for me. Building new bases and collecting raw materials is fun for me.

Depending on how "explosive" the demolition zombie is and how abundant ammo will be late game, players might need to rethink any major above-ground horde defense.

If you can loot/forage/craft in one day, enough Dukes to stay safe at a trader during a late-game BM, I would say that is a good strategy.

There could be a migration to the various super long underground tunnel defenses, but I want to see for myself how feasible above ground defense will be.

Looking forward to my first death in the brave new world of A18! :D

I wonder if there're any plans to divide combat and working melee tools into separate classes so we could finally have normal hitboxes in melee combat, without having to aim with pinpoint accuracy(it just looks silly when you miss a hit with a giant sledgehammer standing right in front of a zombie): working tools wouldn't be able to damage zombies and melee weapons wouldn't damage blocks. Multipurpose weapons like axes, pickaxes or hammers could have additional grip (just like in a popular medieval slasher), for example by pressing R you could switch between building and combat modes, possibly add different animations or just simply make the outline of the slot in the toolbelt switch colors, for example red - combat, green outline - building mode. Other tools dont even need adjustments, no one breaks doors with a hunting knife or hunts zombies with a wrench, right?

I wonder if there're any plans to divide combat and working melee tools into separate classes so we could finally have normal hitboxes in melee combat, without having to aim with pinpoint accuracy(it just looks silly when you miss a hit with a giant sledgehammer standing right in front of a zombie): working tools wouldn't be able to damage zombies and melee weapons wouldn't damage blocks. Multipurpose weapons like axes, pickaxes or hammers could have additional grip (just like in a popular medieval slasher), for example by pressing R you could switch between building and combat modes, possibly add different animations or just simply make the outline of the slot in the toolbelt switch colors, for example red - combat, green outline - building mode. Other tools dont even need adjustments, no one breaks doors with a hunting knife or hunts zombies with a wrench, right?

In my opinion, the damage dealt to blocks in general (apart from tools) is considerably high. Even Zs pound on them like they're paper... IRL you would have a hard time destroying a wooden door (not to mention metal) even with high end tools so easily as you can here. And yes, i know it's a video game and it shouldn't be so realistic for the gameplay purpose, but still...

On the other hand, tools not being good enough to smack zombies? You can kill Zs with a wooden club, which is simply put a little refurbished log. Why wouldn't you be able to do similar (or higher) damage with a hoe, a wrench, a hammer or a rock? BTW, i would love throwing rocks to have some damage, IRL you can kill with those, but not here? Perhaps add some more throwing weapons to the mix... Back to topic, history knows murder cases done with various tools, performed as well as with weapons (knives, pistols, bows, swords, spears, etc.). These deaths were sometimes even more gruesome than with implements meant to kill.

Add to that the complexity of having a mechanic for differentiating your hits between "building" and "killing". Even showing different animations (swings) for using a tool in either way would not be as immersive as it is now simply smacking down on either block or enemy.

Apart from that, A18 will introduce improved attack swings, where if you don't exactly point towards the enemy, it will still get hit. So yeah, something like that will come to the game :)

Did they ever fix up fallout 76?

No, not really. I actually found 7 Days while looking for alternatives. They made the gameplay a bit more palatable than it was before, but it's still annoying that you have to listen to some other player breathing heavily into the mic whenever you're near other people. Also the cash shop is only getting more and more egregious.

I'd avoid it if I were you, unless you like ads for overpriced garbage being waved in your face while you try to play a mediocre game. 7D2D is what Fallout 76 wishes it could be.

Did they ever fix up fallout 76?

Don't bother with that game, played it recently on free week, its as terrible and unsalvagable as the memes say.

That game does not have any future for using old engine alone. Fallout 4 bug and glitch galore was acceptable, because there was interesting story and characters behind it, 76 doesn't have any of that and it literally feels like you're following footsteps of actual fallout protagonist and cleaning behind him(which IS the "story" of 76).

Curb your expectations!

Ohh mr. cookie you're always right.

How are you passing the time? Still having fun in A17? Playing other games? Just hitting F5? Watching the world burn in real time?

Yeah, there are plenty of other fish in the sea but I am almost ready to go back to 7days. There are so many prefabs that never have been built and someone has to create them, right?^^ A few days ago, I saw an inspiring screenshot of a warship on steam and now I want to build one too.

Yeah, there are plenty of other fish in the sea//////

yeah....but they're all single-time.

watch the developers stream. Their dull faces during the game do not inspire the belief that A18 will be much better than A17

... watch the developers stream. Their dull faces during the game do not inspire the belief that A18 will be much better than A17

They're software developers, programmers and artists, not silver-tongued marketing drones. Not exactly a population known for their extraversion and presentation skills (and I say that with love and respect).

Just because they're uncomfortable being on camera (and perhaps revealing their real names and faces) doesn't mean they lack enthusiasm for their game.

I’ve tried talking while playing when doing a video and I can’t do it. Props to content creators who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

In every video I’ve ever done I’ve had to go back and do a voice over narration after the fact. I’m either concentrating on playing or I’m talking in an upbeat personable manner with a minimal amount of “uuuummmm”s but never together.

My face is probably pretty blank too. Lol.

They're software developers, programmers and artists, not silver-tongued marketing drones. Not exactly a population known for their extraversion and presentation skills (and I say that with love and respect).

Just because they're uncomfortable being on camera (and perhaps revealing their real names and faces) doesn't mean they lack enthusiasm for their game.

I’ve tried talking while playing when doing a video and I can’t do it. Props to content creators who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

In every video I’ve ever done I’ve had to go back and do a voice over narration after the fact. I’m either concentrating on playing or I’m talking in an upbeat personable manner with a minimal amount of “uuuummmm”s but never together.

Yes, i do understand that.

Well...so.....then, perhaps i was led to this idea the general concept of the a17-a18. It must have affected me. It affected my overall perception of this "stream".

I've seen "streams/video presentation" from other developers before, and i can see enthusiasm through shyness.

But in this stream - it seemed to me that they did not know what to do in this game.

Just be honest with yourself - and you will understand everything :)

Oh yeah, I'm the only one, right? All the others are happy with innovations.

Just don't pay any attention to me, i'm all alone ;). Married to the past, and unable to accept the new;).

You guys know what? The main thing that in all this you were right, and not me - and then all will be well.

I'd imagine all the talking would prevent you from hearing the audio clues that you are being stalked. Time and time again I've heard it while a streamer was talking and soon after *thump*.

It was a game mode where you played in a small arena and got multiple airdrops during the day with building mats, weapons, food, and tools, and ammo. You spent each day building as quickly as possible and then at night you’d get the equivalent of a blood moon horde.

Pretty much pure tower defense and a ton of fun. Death ended the game and you got a score for days survived and zombies killed.

Perfect game mode for when you were waiting for the next alpha and not wanting to start a long term survival game.

Probably been mentioned before, but Gnamod exists and is recently updated. . Sort of the same but in a better way... In any case I'm not at all hyped for A18, afterall MM had all the same superlatives on A17. "Best alpha ever. So well balanced and I love it" sort of thing...

Seems like most here have short memory. Hope I'm wrong though.

Yes, and I can forgive the uninformed masses who see 7 Days to Die as just another title in their library and who are not following the development for feeling like there is no plan.

I was specifically talking about people here who are following and who hold onto their worst case scenario speculations even though there is testimony to the contrary from people who aren’t speculating.

I can totally see how TFP gives the impression at first glance of being rudderless.

That's some good PR.

Archived