Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I realize my comment/question might come off as being cheeky or something, but I can assure you that was not the intent.

I honestly think the rage mechanic even with less zombies at a time will be more difficult for new players than double the zombies without. I just wanted to know if you thought that was a possibility.

Loc

That is what balance is for.

So much fuss about hoe and gardening, and halved outdoors zombies spawn rates..

Come on, I get both sides but it's getting silly to complain about something that we haven't had a chance to experience yet.

Hoe & gardening - it was giving a sense of accomplishment to do manual work, it felt awesome, but even I can admit that once I set a gigantic fields of crops, I dont need that tool anymore, it was scraped on sight or forged. And it was annoying to hell how soil behaves when tilling, let alone planting seeds on greater scaled fields, where every 3-4th block it plants on damned grass. I would have loved it if it was expanded on, not replaced, but I don't think it has that much of an impact on any playstyle as it was set-it-and-forget-it thing.

As it goes for wilderness zombies, even though it sounds a bit dissapointing, I can't give my opinion on that matter, as I and the rest of non-testers have no idea what's in the store once A18 drops. Not trying to be rude to anyone, but seriously, save all the valid concerns etc once we can actually see how is it handled.

Anyway, question for @madmole or @roland :

Ehm, sorry if this has been mentioned/answered already(have been lurking on this thread but really can't remember): are any new electrics such as advanced circuits(OR/AND/OR/XOR etc)/breakers/sensors planned for the future alphas, as I pressume A19 is already content-locked?

I know this maybe isn't the right place or time to ask that, but with addition of so much content in a18, one can only hope for some new electric stuff, as that would be awesome for some playstyles. Thank you in advance. :-)

I can answer that for you. No new electricity for A18.

Loc

He literally gave you a logical argument for the farming change and your immediate response was to tell him to go away.

Lol it seems if anyone is pushing for trouble it's you.

I'm sorry, maybe I must have missed it but, could you point me to the forum rules that obligates one user to answer another? 🤔

Anyhow, MadMole already made things clear.

This isn't Jerry Springer or Oprah.

It's farming's funeral.

*raises glass*

Maybe for vanilla, but not for the game. If you really want a lot of farming, just add the big farming mod and you are good to go.

Until I actually play a18, I can't really comment about the new system, but I'm eager to try it.

Lol it seems if anyone is pushing for trouble it's you.

I'm sorry, maybe I must have missed it but, could you point me to the forum rules that obligates one user to answer another?

Anyhow, MadMole already made things clear.

Correct, you don't have to! Which is why it's kind of boggling you for you to chose to insult Roland instead of ignoring him.

I am waiting for my new RTX 2070 Super video card to arrive. Are you eventually planning on incorporating any of their abilities to enhance the game's graphics? I personally just purchased it so I can get 4K and decent frame rates on the game but don't know enough about Ray Tracing or other features to know if the new tech will have an advantage for your game.

Going from a 980ti to a 2080 in a17 has seen marked improvement. I was concerned that it wouldn't justify the purchase, but at least on day to day playing, a good bump, and the 980ti did just fine.

No clue on horde nights yet though.

Baby mode off please.

Ooohhh you added babies? YES! I dont WANT to be sour MM, i really dont. You know how much I love this game or I wouldnt have spent two years of my life devoted to it in some form on a daily basis learning its ins and outs. We all do, or people like Guppy etc would not be here having this debate now.

Like i said i may be all wrong here and when i get my hands on it I will wonder what I was so miffed about. Its hard to discuss something we dont have, so of course reactions are based off of what we hear. All I can do is promise to be honest and give it a shot with an open mind when it releases and report back.

There are more zombies than 17 because the AI is better at tracking you (speculating).

What is harder? Well you aren't power leveling 12 levels a day now, one level a day roughly. So you aren't buying perks every 3 minutes. Early game is a good 20 hours now but looting is great, so before you say "grind" remember a new very rewarding loot system is in place.

All I know is a lot of guys were complaining about endless biome zombies harrassing everyone. I removed some, made more in the wasteland, but the AI is better so IMO, it will kind of balance out, but run better.

I'm confused now, there is more zombies in A18 than A17? I thought the spawns were reduced.

The better tracking in my opinion would make them easier to kill for any one that thinks smarter and is not boldly power rushing. Oh look zombie I left you a trail right to me so I can easily kill you on my terms where I want to kill you at. I don't know just sayin

And as far as power leveling goes it actually made the game more difficult cause it skyrocketed gamestage and I've always avoided it. So to me slower progression should actually make the game easier not more difficult. Slower progression was also badly needed though.

I don't know again maybe it's just me but I think there SHOULD be constant biome spawns especially when trying to loot poi's it makes for those great "oh shyte" moments where you actually have to play well and think for a change. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait and see but so far am not feeling very hopeful for the direction this game seems to be taking at the moment.

Maybe for vanilla, but not for the game. If you really want a lot of farming, just add the big farming mod and you are good to go.

Until I actually play a18, I can't really comment about the new system, but I'm eager to try it.

If the changes are well received maybe. But at least it sounds like MadMole is open to a revert if things don't go well.

Also, if I do mod it, I would much rather wait for the game to be finished first. Who knows what else is down the line re: farming. It's still alpha so perhaps some new exciting systems will spring up in the future 😊

One bedroll is way too limiting. Not unlimited, and maybe the grass bedrolls decay and you need a bed for a perma spawn location. Be nice to plop a grass bedroll down outside a poi and still have your fort bed. Or place one for a pal and he can spawn near you when you both join a new server.

Have you considered a "respawn at quest marker" or "respawn outside POI" option? The multi-bedroll system seems more elegant though.

Yea, I know that as I'm in the loop for A18 stuff, was just wondering was there anything mentioned about electrics for later alphas. But thank you for reply nonetheless :-)

Well, in case you're unaware, electric drawbridges and electric garage doors are being added in A18, as well as a few new lights. In addition, the lighting for electric lights has been redone. :D

So how about a plate block planter?

MadMole

If you mean a plate (very thin) plant block - that should work too. But then both of it:

-a planter box and

-a planter plate

Would solve the issues for people wanting a field on the same level as the surroundings.

It would be better to get rid off gaps between Terrain and blocks though ^^

Archived