Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

For this challenge, can we go back to when outdoor zombies were a threat, i.e. earlier alpha's? Or are you just referring to the already gimped post-sleeper volume versions of the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Ew. Just... ew.

One bedroll is way too limiting. Not unlimited, and maybe the grass bedrolls decay and you need a bed for a perma spawn location. Be nice to plop a grass bedroll down outside a poi and still have your fort bed. Or place one for a pal and he can spawn near you when you both join a new server.

I'm pushing for multiple bedroll support. Tower A got overrun, I want to spawn at tower b.

That'd be fantastic, and some universally good news. I mean, I can't imagine people bickering about that, but maybe if I click my heels and believe in the power of the internet it could happen.

"What do you mean I have to choose between 3 buttons now when I die? And now I have to keep track of two spawn points? RAGE!" .. I jest, though I ranted for nearly two pages worth on the farming thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One bedroll is way too limiting. Not unlimited, and maybe the grass bedrolls decay and you need a bed for a perma spawn location. Be nice to plop a grass bedroll down outside a poi and still have your fort bed. Or place one for a pal and he can spawn near you when you both join a new server.

madmole how about like a spawn point that costs like 50 forged steel 50 scrap plastics etc and or cost some expensive stuff just so it isn't to get early game

This would honestly be a wonderful addition. Even just one more bedroll would do, especially if it assisted in meditating zombie respawns. (Connecting two POI's together and building a large fort out of them would never be easier.)

Definitely looking forward to this feature for sure. It makes sense and will be an improvement for sure.

Zombie_Jam is currently giving Roland more than a few good reasons to remove him from the forum

Roland is right about us needing to experience some systems in game, I will concede that to him. No problem.

But it's the heat around how farming was and how it's been changed that's bothered people.

He says he wants the discussion on topic, I agree. But no-one has explained why the addition of planters necessitated any change to the old farming style.

Only MadMole mentioned the alleged complexity in getting access to a hoe. If I've missed something then please you, Roland, or anyone - put me right. I'm open to correction.

This isn't an argument between people over ego, it's just seeking clarity and rationality over a change which appears a bit warped in reason.

Aww.. you're so cute. Threatening to abuse your privilege on the forum just because someone won't reply to you directly. Temper temper 😂

And the irony of thinking I'm the one causing trouble. Read my most recent post.

If nothings changed, why are there changes? Boxes can be added without removing hoes.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just have both boxes and the old farming style, MadMole?

You had a great system, and now you have a new great asset in the planter boxes. Why must one require an alteration of the other? 😌

Already answered this, because we want to teach one method. To farm place a farm plot and plant a seed. Not "Alternatively you find a hoe and till the earth with several ingredients".

So much fuss about hoe and gardening, and halved outdoors zombies spawn rates..

Come on, I get both sides but it's getting silly to complain about something that we haven't had a chance to experience yet.

Hoe & gardening - it was giving a sense of accomplishment to do manual work, it felt awesome, but even I can admit that once I set a gigantic fields of crops, I dont need that tool anymore, it was scraped on sight or forged. And it was annoying to hell how soil behaves when tilling, let alone planting seeds on greater scaled fields, where every 3-4th block it plants on damned grass. I would have loved it if it was expanded on, not replaced, but I don't think it has that much of an impact on any playstyle as it was set-it-and-forget-it thing.

As it goes for wilderness zombies, even though it sounds a bit dissapointing, I can't give my opinion on that matter, as I and the rest of non-testers have no idea what's in the store once A18 drops. Not trying to be rude to anyone, but seriously, save all the valid concerns etc once we can actually see how is it handled.

Anyway, question for @madmole or @roland :

Ehm, sorry if this has been mentioned/answered already(have been lurking on this thread but really can't remember): are any new electrics such as advanced circuits(OR/AND/OR/XOR etc)/breakers/sensors planned for the future alphas, as I pressume A18 is already content-locked?

I know this maybe isn't the right place or time to ask that, but with addition of so much content in a18, one can only hope for some new electric stuff, as that would be awesome for some playstyles. Thank you in advance. :-)

There's no good reason to require nitrate for farm plots. Any halfway decent composting produces soil so rich in nutrients already that you wouldn't want to be adding anything else. Plant fiber and soil are all you really ought to need.

Source: Growing up, my mom always had a large garden behind the house. She still does. Routinely winds up with so many veggies she has to give some away because her extra large freezer and whole room of canning jar shelves get filled up. Seriously...you think the highest a17 tier of living off the land was over the top? Not even close. That's with a garden the size of two Ford trucks, fueled by compost that was mostly lawn clippings, with leaves and plant bits from the veggie garden and flower gardens.

Who has time to compost? Nitrate is poo.

Roland is right about us needing to experience some systems in game, I will concede that to him. No problem.

But it's the heat around how farming was and how it's been changed that's bothered people.

He says he wants the discussion on topic, I agree. But no-one has explained why the addition of planters necessitated any change to the old farming style.

Only MadMole mentioned the alleged complexity in getting access to a hoe. If I've missed something then please you, Roland, or anyone - put me right. I'm open to correction.

This isn't an argument between people over ego, it's just seeking clarity and rationality over a change which appears a bit warped in reason.

He literally gave you a logical argument for the farming change and your immediate response was to tell him to go away.

Guest Rassilon
I'm tempted to hand out a few keys to guys I like.

Oh wise Mister Madmole, what a wonderful and generous Idea. Oh i wonder who would like to lay hands on that best build out of Creation...

Ehm... Too much?^^

Already answered this, because we want to teach one method. To farm place a farm plot and plant a seed. Not "Alternatively you find a hoe and till the earth with several ingredients".

Ok, thank you. As you said, not long to go and let's see how the community responds to the change.

Cheers, MadMole 😁

I am waiting for my new RTX 2070 Super video card to arrive. Are you eventually planning on incorporating any of their abilities to enhance the game's graphics? I personally just purchased it so I can get 4K and decent frame rates on the game but don't know enough about Ray Tracing or other features to know if the new tech will have an advantage for your game.

I get why games require a respawn mechanic but I kinda liked how you had the "near" the bedroll option in, to prevent a deathloop if you died AT your bedroll... it was always good enough, and back when we could choose which bedroll to spawn in (a9? a10?) it was nothing more than a teleporter.

Especially early game when death is meaningless, and ESPECIALLY on a server where being a higher level can actually be a detriment, this system is definitely going to be abused.

...and since you're going to ask, it's all about keeping the gamestages low... if I can have the benefits of higher level stuff (other people) while keeping my GS low (lowering my own dangers), I win. Adding in the ability to teleport by eating glass, is not good. I hope it's at least xml editable, and right now zero about the bedroll system is xml editable.

Archived