Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Awe you probably know I love cats, and mine are orange. The momma cat was gone 6 weeks and came home last night, we thought she was dead or catnapped. Was heartwarming.

In that case, Mittens says hi. :p

DQ3M5KA.jpg

Fun fact: My mom's cat, who passed away a couple years ago now, was also orange. Sweet little guy. #CatsAreTheBestSoFightMe

And apparently vault doors and hatches as well? Hey, we both learned something today!

Psst! Madmole! You can double click "E" very quickly to rapidly open/close vault doors, allowing you the player to slither in. It greatly helps when zombies are right behind your back. ;) This trick also works for garage doors.

Interesting. I was thinking we need to keep the collision shut until its much further open, and close it sooner, so it behaves more how it appears visually.

Not the sentiment I was going for with that comment... it was more "Oh lordy, here they come out of the woodwork sycophanticing his ass", and sure enough, someone pulled out the Puss in Boots .gif..."

I know where I stand, and I'm content with it. I'm true to myself and that's all I care about. This is just a game afterall. =)

No need to be a salty jerk, I was just kidding, and following up MM's clear joke. I'm fine waiting with everyone else. I'm not buthurt over streamers getting a first glance either.

You are still on the good guy list.

Now we need a Madmole's list of who's been naughty or nice

- - - Updated - - -

Awe you probably know I love cats, and mine are orange. The momma cat was gone 6 weeks and came home last night, we thought she was dead or catnapped. Was heartwarming.

I had a cat named Ivy for about 16 years, she had been around the house my entire life. She used to sleep above my head on my pillow and groom my hair before we both went to sleep. I miss her, she was a great kitty.

Interesting. I was thinking we need to keep the collision shut until its much further open, and close it sooner, so it behaves more how it appears visually.

Yeah, it looks a little janky. But it's handy when visiting the traders; they don't deserve my energy to turn around and shut the gates properly for them. ;)

Edit: It also works for vault hatches. I've yet to test drawbridges.

I actually didn't know that! I love cats, but am violently allergic to them. It was less so as a kid, but now I can't be anywhere near them, and it saddens me :( Glad to hear she's back safe and sound though.

Nobody in their right mind will lose xp to teleport naked somewhere. Getting raided and you die and they are at your bedroll? Spawn me at my backup base please.

So when you have an actual PvP mode... Oh let the trolling ensue.. or are you going to make sure it gets turned off?

Which terrain is that ? Or are these some kind of "in the middle" blocks, which snap to terrain, but are also blocks?

All of the terrain blocks snap up and down to match a placed block, but the side by sides would need to change their densities... I usually get this backwards, but you either set the terrain density to -125 or the block you're placing's density to -125, and that weird ass gap is gone.

I was thinking the same thing about the height of the box. I was thinking even smaller though. If it was only the height of a plate. When placed on the ground it would look like the box was just barely sticking out. I think that would also not show the gap so it would look nicer than digging a hole and placing it in there. So same thing as now only box is about 2 or 3 cm high.

I think if he put a frame down and removed it the ground would have been flush height, but always a gap or angled bevel with terrain edges. Maybe I can make a plate block box that goes on top of the dirt that would work.

So how about a plate block planter?

This has already been put out there by someone... :D

Which old saying is it that applies "Great minds think alike"?

Long time lurker.

Can "farmers" and avid gardeners please stop spouting off. This game doesn't have farming, at best it is allotmenteering. You don't "farm" hectares/acres of land, that is farming. You may garden a 10x10 plot. I AM a professional gardener, and have been planting vegetable crops by hand for years. Must have been doing it wrong all this time! As for hoeing, that is for weeding, not tilling the earth. MM has done the right thing, always drove me nuts you need a hoe to plant!

Please remember this game doesn't have "farming", and try the damn thing before you go all radio rental about it.

Congrats for getting out of lurker mode.

Couple of alphas ago or so I was a "farmer". I would plant hundreds and hundreds of crops. That involved me digging out huge amounts of hills to flatten an area for it. Took me many many ingame days to get it done.

Don't think I ever acutally used the hoe to plant anything. I did use it to turn the soil and mix in my fertilizer though.

"Farmer Gamida"

In the mod I would often see 12-15 random zeds out in the wilderness and guess what they could never ever ever do? Box me in.

You know why? Because it is the open wilderness and they walk and I run and even when they run I run faster. There is zero challenge or risk of death during the day out in the wilderness from random zombies-- even if they were increased to 50. I know this for a fact because when we had massive wandering hordes they couldn't box me in either and were easy as snot to avoid or kill at my pleasure.

I remember being out in the open at night (unmodded games) with 15 zombies in the vicinity, and cowering on top of a large boulder - waiting for daylight. There was no way I was outrunning them. If I moved, they'd sense me, and I was done. If they came too close, they'd sense me, and I was done.

So while technically not physically boxed in, I was still boxed in.

#MakeOutdoorsGreatAgain

-A

No, they're not.

The majority of the typical starting problems in A17 could be avoided by reading the item descriptions or even... gasp... the journal entries explaining how stuff works.

If you watched any of the streams (performed by Today's Gamers)... that wasn't happening.

I can confirm that. However, this is partly due to the fact that streamers want to entertain others. That's why they only do what the audience wants to see and that's mostly looting and killing zombies. Nobody wants to see a streamer that reads instructions or descriptions.

Another problem affects everyone who has been playing the game for a long time and so they think they know everything.

In the past, you would take off your clothes if there was a risk of overheating. Many did that in the beginning also in A17 without noticing that they only make it worse.

Also e.g. that certain clothes give bonuses was not clear to many.

But I also saw the opposite. Especially Youtuber who make the explanation videos look at the game in detail.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Aurelius viewpost-right.png

So it sounds like the solution is food spoilage...

-A

(DUST2DEATH) will nobody think of the poor cpu.

The CPU mustn't have anything to do with food spoilage.

You just do the check on player interaction:

- Each food has a new "property" for the Timer

- When ANY player opens a storage box you do the check and update only the food there and then

- When the player opens his/her inventory you do the check then and there

I don't see the problem...

...I still don't understand the relationship between food, water, health and stamina, or why my bar never goes up despite the pills and bandages, food and drink... or why I have competing buffs... it's a huge cluster♥♥♥♥ and I hope it's solved for a18.

Dude, A18 is perfect.. A17 is perfect... A 1 through 16 -- also perfect.

any key hand outs yet?

You're probably not aware of this, but pretty much every server manager has a teleport (/tele home) feature, and it's widely used... I think you are underestimating peoples desire to teleport, or over-estimating peoples care about dragging out their next level increase (remember, your new system doesn't make you lose a level, it only prolongs you getting to your next level!).

But please, allow that moddable. Currently nothing about bedrolls is moddable w/o code.

This isn't about teleporting, its about a user died and the only options are pretty crappy if your base is overrun. Near my bedroll is as bad as my overrun bedroll, but at my backup secret base? That sounds good to me.

Archived