Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I think you underestimate day 1 A18. You all would have been wolf/mountain lion/coyote poo or walker poo for sure had we not intervened.

Good then I would have learned and adapted as someone should just as I did when I started playing insane, nightmare run, 25% loot, no airdrops , 60 minute days, and no guns. So yes to more honestly answer your question earlier I would have totally killed the zombies with my club and primitive bow, and maybe a little ingenuity just like I always do and have since I first started playing this game. I don't know maybe it's just me but it feels like this game is headed more in the fps looter direction and way less toward a survival crafting game which is what I enjoyed originally.

Que Sera Sera I suppose

nests yield cloth sometimes if you destroy them after looting. With the lower feather counts I am now in the habit of chopping up every nest I loot since that is a couple more feathers and pretty soon I can craft bandages even in the desert.

I think this was an older pre-farmgate post, but since you two were sharing cloth tips for desert starters: simply hit any backpacks, sports bags or duffel bags to get enough cloth to make two bandages each. At least all those empty bags are worth something that way.

I remember being out in the open at night (unmodded games) with 15 zombies in the vicinity, and cowering on top of a large boulder - waiting for daylight. There was no way I was outrunning them. If I moved, they'd sense me, and I was done. If they came too close, they'd sense me, and I was done.

So while technically not physically boxed in, I was still boxed in.

#MakeOutdoorsGreatAgain

-A

Then your wish came true because Madmole INCREASED biome spawns of zombies at night in the Wasteland. Go forth and get boxed in on a boulder.

You would have to abandon the diamond terrain voxels and go to cube terrain voxels like you did briefly back in Alpha 8 or 9. The question is whether the gap is worse than boring square shaped caverns. I say no but maybe the pendulum has swung the other way on how important the underworld appears....

Gazz just poked a big hole in the plate planter idea.

Options are:

Allow planting of seeds on any terrain block

Upgrade terrain to fertile dirt with a hammer and the right upgrade materials but then your accidentally using nitrate and stuff when repairiing spikes on the ground when you miss and uprgrading dirt by accident in a lot of cases.

Crafting a dirt clod planter block, dig a hole and fill it.

There might have been some terrain shader issues which is why we did this I can't remember. The ground will always be whatever the splat map says it is.

Then your wish came true because Madmole INCREASED biome spawns of zombies at night in the Wasteland. Go forth and get boxed in on a boulder.

This was just in the regular ol' woodlands. Going into the Wasteland at night - that's crazy talk - there are landmines out there!

-A

Have y'all considered a little 512 by 512 starter world where players can slowly get introduced to these situations?

I'd be happy to make one in its entirety for you, if I had some assurance that you would stop nerfing the base game for newbies...

No thats just clunky. Make the real game accessible and get right into it.

Yeah but day 1 was too hard with all the changes you haven't seen. New players need a chance to learn the game and not get raped 500 times by cheap deaths, so we made some good changes.

Please make the new encounter system not base the encounters exactly on the player's position. A random offset of maybe 50-100 meters from the player would be much better. It's like the a17 and earlier "wandering" hordes' tendency to pass straight through the player's position every single time unless you happened to be moving at significant speed when they spawned.

For that matter, are these new encounters planned as an addition to the existing wandering hordes, or a replacement to them?

The planter plate first came up as Chiko's suggestion, many pages ago, and already back then Gazz mentioned that planted crops would float 1 meter above them. So yeah, probably not as easy as it sounds.

Personally, I always surrounded my farms with wooden plates just for aestethics.

My bigger concern is that my farm will shrink from six or seven 10x10 fields each with their own crop, down to.. maybe a tenth of that(?) depending on how much rotten flesh can be found. I hope the recipe will be balanced in the end, but hey that's what experimentals are for. :)

What? I throw away hundreds of rotten flesh and still had 6 stacks at the end of my 100 hour game. Every gore blob, vulture and dog drop it like crazy.

The planter plate first came up as Chiko's suggestion, many pages ago, and already back then Gazz mentioned that planted crops would float 1 meter above them. So yeah, probably not as easy as it sounds.

Personally, I always surrounded my farms with wooden plates just for aestethics.

My bigger concern is that my farm will shrink from six or seven 10x10 fields each with their own crop, down to.. maybe a tenth of that(?) depending on how much rotten flesh can be found. I hope the recipe will be balanced in the end, but hey that's what experimentals are for. :)

Ride a bicycle in the desert or wasteland biomes, and you'll be swimming in rotten flesh and feathers from divebombing vultures. Or, raid a Doggos poi if you're really hurting for rotten flesh. Street gore blocks give both flesh and nitrate, I believe. I've never needed rotten flesh (never bothered with hobo stew) before, so now I have a reason to harvest it. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Good then I would have learned and adapted as someone should just as I did when I started playing insane, nightmare run, 25% loot, no airdrops , 60 minute days, and no guns. So yes to more honestly answer your question earlier I would have totally killed the zombies with my club and primitive bow, and maybe a little ingenuity just like I always do and have since I first started playing this game. I don't know maybe it's just me but it feels like this game is headed more in the fps looter direction and way less toward a survival crafting game which is what I enjoyed originally.

Que Sera Sera I suppose

Na, we're just focusing on firearms because they were a big part of making classes and player builds a big thing. We'll focus on survival here and there before gold yet. We're adding proper diseases now and there will be better hot/cold in 19.

Please make the new encounter system not base the encounters exactly on the player's position. A random offset of maybe 50-100 meters from the player would be much better. It's like the a17 and earlier "wandering" hordes' tendency to pass straight through the player's position every single time unless you happened to be moving at significant speed when they spawned.

For that matter, are these new encounters planned as an addition to the existing wandering hordes, or a replacement to them?

Probably a replacement. Much finer control, each player gets what he deserves. RIght now the unlucky guy gets the wandering horde, and if you play solo you get every single one.

With how things are progressing from design decisions, do you think a charcoal filter will be added? As much as I'd love to see it, if the old farming was too complicated before and was removed...

-A

I am 100% certain a charcoal filter will be added....but it will necessitate the removal of drinking from the game at the same time. ;)

Not on top of boulders. :) Also landmines got fixed. You can disarm them with a wrench now.

I am 100% certain a charcoal filter will be added....but it will necessitate the removal of drinking from the game at the same time. ;)

I see Trolland has come out to play today. Got any new puzzles to distract us with?

No thats just clunky. Make the real game accessible and get right into it, at the cost of the real game.

Fixed it for you.

...clunky, yet I dunno, a billion games have starter "tutorial" maps?

Maps:

Tutorial

Navezgane

RandomGen

...it isn't "clunky", it's a add-on to what you already have. But y'all are fixated on nerfing the game, it seems.

Have y'all considered a little 512 by 512 starter world where players can slowly get introduced to these situations?

I'd be happy to make one in its entirety for you, if I had some assurance that you would stop nerfing the base game for newbies...

One idea would be to have the survivor "wake up" in a POI compound (maybe inside a first aid tent) where they are relatively safe and can explore a bit before venturing forth. It would have the same invulnerability as a trader, with some loot containers they could search that contain a few basic items (like what we start with now). They'd have to leave it to complete the starter quest, and at some point the gates would lock and they wouldn't be able to get back in.

Experienced players could just leave and never look back, but new players would have a little safety on day 1.

Yikes, good point. Craftable dirt clods maybe...

Couldn't you just make it so the plates give the aesthetic and function of a farm box but not actually raise the voxel. So in reality you're planting it directly on the ground below the plate and not actually on the plate. Think of them like ghost boxes/plates.

One idea would be to have the survivor "wake up" in a POI compound (maybe inside a first aid tent) where they are relatively safe and can explore a bit before venturing forth. It would have the same invulnerability as a trader, with some loot containers they could search that contain a few basic items (like what we start with now). They'd have to leave it to complete the starter quest, and at some point the gates would lock and they wouldn't be able to get back in.

Experienced players could just leave and never look back, but new players would have a little safety on day 1.

...and it wouldn't take but a weekend for someone to make. You could load quests into the trader's dialogue and go a lot more in-depth, AND it would mean regulars could "Jump right in" by selecting nav or Rwg, but alas, apparently it's more "clunky" then half explaining systems and removing other systems entirely.

You would have to abandon the diamond terrain voxels and go to cube terrain voxels like you did briefly back in Alpha 8 or 9. The question is whether the gap is worse than boring square shaped caverns. I say no but maybe the pendulum has swung the other way on how important the underworld appears....

Maybe a new tool that acts like a smoother? On map generation there is a smoother routine that runs that makes the voxels on a slope into a smooth shape. You can erase that by placing frames to get the 1 meter jumps. But if there was a way to force a redraw of the smoother in an area, it might fill in those jumps and gaps between blocks.

You could call it a 'rake'.

Archived